Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Franchise Mode has been an MLB The Show staple for quite some time now, and this year, we’re excited to introduce its long-awaited online version. We took the team-building aspects of Franchise, such as scouting and offseason contract negotiations, and merged them with the customizable schedules and divisional alignments of Online Leagues. We also continued to refine the game logic that governs trade values, lineups, player generation, and more. Let’s go over some of the main features in more detail.

FRANCHISE HOME

When you create an Online Franchise, you automatically become the league’s Commissioner. You’ll get to choose the divisional alignment, schedule type, Designated Hitter preference and whether or not to upload a custom roster, among other things. Once you’re happy with your settings, you’ll need to invite other players to the league, and also determine what teams will be controlled by the CPU (if any at all).

CREATE FRANCHISE

Building a successful team in Online Franchise is as much about what happens on the field, as about what happens off the field. One of the most important things you can do to remain competitive is to draft amateur players effectively, in order to keep replenishing your major league roster with top-tier talent. To do this, you’ll need to scout players throughout the regular season so that you don’t go into your live online draft unprepared. Without proper scouting reports, you’ll have a much tougher time trying to distinguish between future superstars and draft-day busts.

AMATEUR DRAFT

The vast majority of your drafted players will need some seasoning in the minors before they’re ready for The Show, so we’ve given you access to full minor league rosters. You’ll be able to move players up and down from Class-A all the way to the Majors, set training assignments, and also pull-off trades with other teams. Our trade logic has been greatly improved as well, so forget about lopsided trades involving three top prospects for an average major league middle reliever.

MANAGE ROSTER

This brings us to the offseason, which we divided into two parts. In Part 1, you will handle all of your contract renewable players, arbitration cases and draft pick signings. Our player contract logic has received a much needed overhaul, as we made MLB service time more of a factor when determining player interest and ideal salary. One example where this is really noticeable is when trying to offer contract extensions to your young players. In the past, you were able to sign young superstar players to extremely cheap long-term contracts, which is unrealistic in today’s MLB. Now, you’ll still be able to lock these players up early in their careers, but you’ll have to pay something much closer to their market value. This type of contract is becoming much more common in real-life lately, with teams like the Rays and Braves leading the way, and it was important for us to incorporate this new dynamic into the game.

CONTRACT RENEWALS

Free agent signings happen in Part 2 of the offseason, which is divided into an adjustable number of rounds, or advancement periods. Every team gets a chance to make their best offer, and then the commissioner advances to the next round.

FA ROUNDS

Players will either sign with a team, or they will remain on the market for the next round. The bidding wars that occur in this part of the offseason can become pretty intense, coupled with the fact that you’re competing against other human opponents makes the bidding all the more entertaining.

FREE AGENT CONTRACTS

Rounding out the whole package is our expanded record keeping, as we now store draft classes, retired players, and additional career stats and awards on the Player Card. In addition, League Events and Notifications will keep you up to date on what’s happening around the league, and what tasks you need to perform to manage your team properly.

RETIREMENT

We’re all extremely happy with the way Online Franchise turned out, and we hope you enjoy playing it just as much as we enjoyed putting it together. See you online!

Bleacher Report has posted an interview with MLB 14 The Show developers, Luis Martinez and Lance Leahy, providing even more information.

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 381 Mike Lowe @ 04/05/14 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
lol again so hard without having the game and being able to actually see the inner workings. What was the trade offer? http://theshownation.com/franchise/13483/events
Trade offer? Huh?

# 382 Mike Lowe @ 04/05/14 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
word is fatigue was turned off for open schedule?? Hopefully we can get a confirmation if true?
Hmmm, please keep us posted. Using Auto shouldn't be a problem. I did notice that once the league starts, you CANNOT change this setting.

# 383 blkatk87 @ 04/05/14 01:57 PM
The only use for the auto to me is if the commissioner is gonna be gone and doesn't want to have to manually do it or if you have dudes in your league that lag behind so if forces the advance. But other than that most of the games should be played so I dunno what the big adv is to setting it to auto and a certain amt of days when you can just have it manual and the commish can move it along how he wants. Now you may be able to override that even if its set to auto. But IMO a league that wanted real stats and say wanted to play some and sim some games to get a full 162 you are in for a lot of waiting since the games take so long to sim. It like processes them one at a time sloooooow

# 384 Ghost Of The Year @ 04/08/14 05:33 PM
I'm going to use the online franchise instead of the offline franchise this year though not to play against other people but rather because I can finally be rid of expansion teams on classic rosters. Now if SDS will only add a schedule option to turn off Inter League play perfection will be a little closer to fruition.

# 385 jeremym480 @ 04/10/14 03:07 PM
I have never been in a online franchise for The Show, but I'm thinking about running one this year on the PS4. Can anyone if there's a breakdown of the online franchise settings anywhere?

# 386 HustlinOwl @ 04/10/14 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I have never been in a online franchise for The Show, but I'm thinking about running one this year on the PS4. Can anyone if there's a breakdown of the online franchise settings anywhere?
nothing best bet is to get PS3 version and do a lot of testing especially if you are not familiar with running/setting up leagues in MLBTS

# 387 erich20012001 @ 04/11/14 02:24 PM
How long does it take to process a franchise? I've tried 3 separate times since last night, and I find it odd that it even allowed me to reselect it, seeing as it is supposed to say it's processing.

# 388 HustlinOwl @ 04/11/14 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich20012001
How long does it take to process a franchise? I've tried 3 separate times since last night, and I find it odd that it even allowed me to reselect it, seeing as it is supposed to say it's processing.
yep something definitely is going on have a couple others at TSN with the same problems right now league still showing processing for good 12 hours

# 389 mooch49 @ 04/11/14 09:07 PM
I really am enjoying doing a solo online league. But still not sure if I can continue when I get the PS4 version. I would think so being its saved on Sony's server. But still would like confirmation. I know online franchises will not crossover platforms next year. What about just this year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

# 390 HustlinOwl @ 04/11/14 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49
I really am enjoying doing a solo online league. But still not sure if I can continue when I get the PS4 version. I would think so being its saved on Sony's server. But still would like confirmation. I know online franchises will not crossover platforms next year. What about just this year.

highly unlikely

# 391 saturn2187 @ 04/16/14 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49

My goal is to carry over my online franchise from one year to the next, even though it is not going to be offered by SCEA. In order to do this, I will need to enter every single player rating into a spreadsheet. Come the offseason, I will take another look at the ratings and edit the spreadsheet as necessary.

I will then edit the OSFM roster file to reflect all changes, and carry it into the following season.

The initial setup will be most time consuming -- but it only takes about 30-40 seconds per player to enter their details onto this chart. New, drafted players will need to manually added later.

I think having a spreadsheet like this would come in handy for everyone, as it could be used for easier scouting, player evaluation, trades, drafts, etc. The 'filter' tool will come in especially handy as you look for players meeting several criteria.

Have a look at what I've done so far -- it's just a start --- but it's an open Google document and anyone is free to help.
For now, I will just be inputting the SCEA roster players, but when OSFM comes out, I will start adding them in as well.

Of course, if all this information is easily accessible elsewhere , please point that out to me and save me a ton of work. (Like maybe a way to export a roster file to excel?)

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

# 392 Hayden1114 @ 07/04/14 12:41 AM
Okay so I have a question. Me and my buddy started an online franchise, and our schedules both say that they're practice and unavailable in the top right corner of each date on the calendar. I started my first game and it said practice in parenthesis. When the game completed, it didn't save at all. Someone help and tell me how to fix them and not make them practice games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.