Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Today I want to look at, what I think are, the best starting lineups in MLB and therefore in MLB 14: The Show. We're going to focus on the top five most dangerous lineups to face as a pitcher. We'll look at the strengths and also any potential weaknesses of the lineups. So without further ado, let's go!

Read More - MLB 14 The Show: The Best Lineups

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 GruffyMcGuiness @ 03/07/14 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Dee Gordon has been playing well this spring and is probably going to win the job. Guerrero is starting to hit, but needs work on Defense.
You know who had a good spring last year? BJ Upton.

# 22 HustlinOwl @ 03/07/14 11:57 PM
Upton and Uggla in same lineup in top 5?

# 23 GruffyMcGuiness @ 03/08/14 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
Yeah, the one with Heyward, Upton, Freeman and Johnson.

# 24 cardinalbird5 @ 03/08/14 12:24 AM
Quote:
Yeah I don't get it. They pretty much made no changes and were a slightly above average lineup. I mean it isn't bad, but it has tons of holes after the 5 hole.

Dodgers have a good lineup on paper, but once again only ranked 7th last year in the NL. So unless Kemp comes back strong and they find a place for all 4 OF's, I don't see them being a top 5 offense.

Orioles I can agree with and Texas I definitely agree with. Detroit and St. Louis should be in there, IMO too. The Tigers have the best hitter in baseball and the Cards have so much depth it is unreal. We only lost Beltran, but we also have Craig/Adams healthy and Tavaras coming up.

Boston should be in there as well. They don't have a sexy lineup, but they grind AB's and know how to get on base.

# 25 True Talent @ 03/08/14 12:31 AM
The O's had a a pretty good lineup last year, could be better this year.

They were in the 5th in runs, 8th in hits, 5th in doubles, 1st in HR (by 24), 3rd in total bases, 5th in RBI, 10th in AVG, 3rd in SLG %, and 4th in OPS.

I don't expect Davis to have a year like he did last year, but you never know, I think Machado will be better offensively (he should be back for opening day, and if not, very soon after, Flaherty will be at second), and Cruz at DH should be better than anything they stuck there last season.

# 26 cardinalbird5 @ 03/08/14 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruffyMcGuiness
You guys virtually made no changes, except losing Mccann. Do you think you guys have a top 5 lineup?

Maybe I guess they overrate Uggla and BJ in the game, but I don't see it lol. Simmons, Uggla, and BJ are pretty terrible hitters.

Also the Angels are extremely overrated. I loved Freese, but the guy was below average last year. Pujols might bounce back, but who knows? That lineup is not a top 5 lineup.

# 27 GruffyMcGuiness @ 03/08/14 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
You guys virtually made no changes, except losing Mccann. Do you think you guys have a top 5 lineup?

Maybe I guess they overrate Uggla and BJ in the game, but I don't see it lol. Simmons, Uggla, and BJ are pretty terrible hitters.

Also the Angels are extremely overrated. I loved Freese, but the guy was below average last year. Pujols might bounce back, but who knows? That lineup is not a top 5 lineup.
#1 in homers last year and 3rd in runs. McCann had his worst year yet and was hurt much of the year.

I keep seeing you bash Simmons' hitting. You do realize before halfway through last season, he had played a total of 44 games above A ball? He hit 17 homers and had an average BA for a SS. I see his hitting as FAR from terrible.

# 28 CaseIH @ 03/08/14 01:34 AM
Im suprised the Cardinals arent in this list. They were the best clutch hitting team in baseball last season, and by a large margin. I cant imagine them putting up those types of numbers again in the clutch, but they will still be a pain to deal with daily. On paper they might have actually gotten better this year, cause they no longer have a weak hitting ss.

I dont like giving the Cardinals any credit and wish they would play Cubs baseball, but it is what it is, the Cards are the best ran organization in baseball. Not only should they be in everybody's top 5 offensive teams, they should be in everyones top 5 teams overall.

The Yankees were my dads team so they are my 2n favorite team, but I wouldnt put then in the top 5 offensive teams in baseball. Roberts will probably have a season ending injury before Opening day or shortly after, as that seems to be his routine yearly,lol.

# 29 HustlinOwl @ 03/08/14 02:03 AM
Quote:
lol Johnson

# 30 cardinalbird5 @ 03/08/14 06:32 AM
This will be the cards lineup:

Carpenter-3b
Peralta-SS
Holliday-LF
Craig-RF
Adams-1B
Molina-C
Jay-CF
Wong-2B

Bench:
Robinson
Cruz
Bourjous
Ellis
Tavaras (at some point)

Someone prove to me that isn't a top 5 lineup lol

I also think Milwaukee is flying under the radar, but I wouldn't consider them a top 5 lineup.

It really depends on how SCEA rates some of our players. They never updated Adams to what he should have been last year, but they were all over Gattis and Puig.

# 31 HouseofSuhs @ 03/08/14 11:09 AM
Tigers lineup is better than the Yankees.

# 32 GruffyMcGuiness @ 03/08/14 11:34 AM
Quote:
lol Johnson
Yeah, you're right. Second best batting average in the NL sucks when discussing best lineups.

# 33 MrChainsaw @ 03/08/14 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman18
He's referring to the fact that the author left out the Dodgers 2nd baseman completely from his list
Haha yep.

# 34 mb625 @ 03/08/14 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
Everyone thinks their team should be higher, shocker. It is very easy to pick apart any team on any persons list.

The sox shouldnt be on here as they lost their table setter in Ellsbury, Victorino is due for regression, youre starting two young unproven guys at third and short, another in center, its doubtful Daniel Nava repeats, Pierzynski cant be any better than Salty was. Ortiz is going to eventually breakdown.

See how easy that was?
I don't think my team should be higher. The Twins are going to be awful. LOL.

Anyway, I think that Choo signing was one of the most underrated signings of the off-season. To me, with all they added, that makes the Rangers my pick to win the AL.

# 35 HustlinOwl @ 03/08/14 02:30 PM
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Second best batting average in the NL sucks when discussing best lineups.
last year an anomaly

# 36 GruffyMcGuiness @ 03/08/14 02:31 PM
Quote:
last year an anomaly
Guess you can say the same with BJ then, huh?

# 37 cardinalbird5 @ 03/08/14 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
I don't think my team should be higher. The Twins are going to be awful. LOL.

Anyway, I think that Choo signing was one of the most underrated signings of the off-season. To me, with all they added, that makes the Rangers my pick to win the AL.
I agree. The Rangers lineup is going to be nasty. They deserve to be in the top 5 lineups for sure.

BJ was no anomly. He might not do as bad, but I don't see him doing anything productive.

Johnson isn't an anomly so to speak. He might not hit for that high of an average again, but he still will be a .280+ .330+ OBP .780+ OPS type of guy. His line LD pct was pretty good last year so even though he had a high BABIP, it was due to him making good contact and not so much luck. However he does strikeout a decent amount and doesn't draw too many walks. He isn't no top tier hitter by any means though. I'd say just a solid hitter.

Braves have a solid lineup, but I just don't see it justified being in the top 5. We won't know till the game comes out though.

I know currently with the last updated rosters (even with McCann) their lineup is ranked like 10th or so.

# 38 Grnngld @ 03/08/14 02:43 PM
Not surprised to see no love for the team that scored the 4th most runs in the league last year, finished 3rd in OPS and tied for 3rd in wRC+. Of course, the A's do it with platoons and maximize production from every spot in the roster; other teams do it with big names and are thus more noticeable.

Anyways, I don't think the A's necessarily have a top 5 lineup this year but hopefully in the Show, they are at least top 10 instead of being ranked at the bottom half of lineups as they usually are.

# 39 cardinalbird5 @ 03/08/14 03:13 PM
The Indians and A's could make an argument, but I think what holds them back is the DH. If they were in the NL, would be a superior offensive team? I am not sure who Oakland's primary DH will be (Moss, Jaso?), but Cleveland uses Santana at DH.

# 40 mikeq672 @ 03/08/14 03:46 PM
People love hating on the Braves. They scored the 3rd most runs in the NL lasty year, only St Louis and Colorado ahead of them, and return the same lineup. Mccann sucked outside of one good month. Jupton, Heyward, Freeman, and Simmons will all take strides being young talented players. BJ cant be any worse. Uggla will be replaced by May by someone more productive.

The Cards are prolly a better lineup, but theyll regress some, that average with RISP is due to come back down to earth. Dodgers are good, lot of question marks. Rockies will score runs, but partly because of Coors.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.