Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

With the additions of online franchise and quicker games, MLB 14: The Show is making it more appealing than ever to jump into its deep franchise mode. However, for some, the question then becomes: Which team should I pick?

For most, the answer is simple: their favorite team. But what if you are want a more specific challenge than getting the home nine to the World Series?

Here are some good (and tough) places to start...

Read More - MLB 14 The Show: Best Franchise Challenges

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 nusie @ 03/11/14 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordBreakerCF
Hey nusie, you do know Matt Harvey won't be back until next year, right?
Yeah, I thought I had put that in my post after next year, but guess not, lol. But suffering through this year to get that rotation the following year, that's gonna be fun.

# 42 Dice @ 03/11/14 10:30 AM
Did they forget the White Sox? You want a challenge? Trying working with them. 99 losses last year. Worst offense in baseball. Bottom of the rankings when it comes to farm systems.

The one redeeming factor for the Astros is their farm system. One of the best in baseball. They'll have their chance in the next couple of years.

# 43 IlliniMatt @ 03/11/14 01:07 PM
Gotta be the Cubs rebuild! (Although it's hard to be a RE-build if nothing is built in the first place)

# 44 barsoffury @ 03/11/14 01:14 PM
Slightly biased here but the Blue Jays are a challenge. Being in the toughest division in baseball and picked to finish last in the East. Aging stars and a depleted farm system. Good luck.

# 45 tessl @ 03/11/14 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
Yeah I was thinking this too, so much of the positives I see with my Fish are things that don't translate well in The Show. Hopefully their future does keep improving and in a couple years they'll be so much more enjoyable in the game.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
I have one question for you regarding the Marlins. I went to google maps and used pegman to take a look around the neighborhood where the ballpark is located. I saw bars on doors and windows a block from the ballpark which you only see in a high crime area.

Why would they locate a ballpark in a high crime area and is that a factor in poor attendance? If they don't get better attendance they will constantly struggle and will remain a challenge both in reality and in mlbts.

# 46 Pezell04x @ 03/11/14 04:21 PM
I'll probably use Pittsburgh. PNC is a beauty.

# 47 canesfins @ 03/11/14 04:40 PM
I have a question for all you, how games in a season do you usually play in franchise mode?

# 48 SilverBullet1929 @ 03/11/14 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I have one question for you regarding the Marlins. I went to google maps and used pegman to take a look around the neighborhood where the ballpark is located. I saw bars on doors and windows a block from the ballpark which you only see in a high crime area.

Why would they locate a ballpark in a high crime area and is that a factor in poor attendance? If they don't get better attendance they will constantly struggle and will remain a challenge both in reality and in mlbts.
Thanks for asking, I don't mind answering any Marlins questions. The ballpark is located in Little Havana. South Florida's Latin American population is enormous, the Cuban community being the unofficial leader of the bunch. (I myself am of Cuban descent) The location of the ballpark was chosen (admittedly as the second best option) because its pretty much considered the heart of the Cuban and Hispanic population here. Its a good location because instead of saying we're Latin America's team and then being located half an hour from the Hispanic population we are literally playing in middle of the Hispanic population. And yes the Marlins have made previous mentions of trying to become more of a Latin American team to fans outside of the US as well.

As for the crime in the area, by my knowledge it isn't actually a high crime area, although it is a low income area. Some of what you made mention to is because of poverty. Additionally you may be surprised to hear that some Hispanics actually enjoy the design of bars over their windows and doors. It's done for safety primarily but is also done regardless of wealth. (Just a minor example but my half brother spent his entire childhood in a house barricaded by bars, ugly but its just part of the society by now).

Also, Marlins Park is located on the exact grounds of the famous Orange Bowl. That facility was immensely successful even in such a low income neighborhood for decades upon decades. If that building could succeed at that site, Marlins Park definitely can as well.

Next, part of the intention of putting Marlins Park in that area was to help revive the area, which is beloved around here even with its faults. The ballpark has several businesses on the ground level that are open year round and the four parking garages are all built with open business sites on the ground level, which are also intended to be open year round for the purpose of reviving the community. I've seen the proposed list of businesses and while none have opened yet, its all good stuff eventually.

As for the attendance issues at the ballpark, the way South Florida sports fans are, the location will definitely not be a detriment to attendance. Attendance is low now because we are such a bandwagon town, the rebuilding Marlins are getting the least attention behind the bubbling hot Miami Heat. When the Marlins are consistently hot again, the fans will come out regardless of location. Ive seen it happen countless times. Just last year, even with our poor season I saw an increase in attendance and energy/atmosphere just in Jose Fernandez's starts alone. It was like a whole different crowd when he was on the mound. Miami has its attendance issues but the ballpark site isn't the reason for it.

That's it. Sorry if its a long read but I'm such a diehard Fish fan that I wanted to give u my complete and best possible answer. Thank you again for asking!

# 49 hysteria499 @ 03/11/14 11:07 PM
I'll pick the Orioles. It will be tough because you don't want to spend a huge amount of money, But now you got JJ hardy Crush Davis and Matt Wieters who are all soon to be free agents. Who to keep and who to get rid of. Who to sign and who to fill spots in the minors etc. Its always fun using teams like that in my opinion. Then again its fun to use power house teams as well for fun.

# 50 eaw913 @ 03/12/14 03:54 AM
I will be doing my usual Braves franchise. As for building up/rebuilding, I will be working with the Mariners. I love that ballpark and they have some decent points to build from.

# 51 3fiddy @ 03/12/14 10:16 AM
I'm putting all my favorite Asian pitchers on the Minnesota Twins and playing to the parks advantages.

# 52 tessl @ 03/12/14 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
Thanks for asking, I don't mind answering any Marlins questions. The ballpark is located in Little Havana. South Florida's Latin American population is enormous, the Cuban community being the unofficial leader of the bunch. (I myself am of Cuban descent) The location of the ballpark was chosen (admittedly as the second best option) because its pretty much considered the heart of the Cuban and Hispanic population here. Its a good location because instead of saying we're Latin America's team and then being located half an hour from the Hispanic population we are literally playing in middle of the Hispanic population. And yes the Marlins have made previous mentions of trying to become more of a Latin American team to fans outside of the US as well.

As for the crime in the area, by my knowledge it isn't actually a high crime area, although it is a low income area. Some of what you made mention to is because of poverty. Additionally you may be surprised to hear that some Hispanics actually enjoy the design of bars over their windows and doors. It's done for safety primarily but is also done regardless of wealth. (Just a minor example but my half brother spent his entire childhood in a house barricaded by bars, ugly but its just part of the society by now).

Also, Marlins Park is located on the exact grounds of the famous Orange Bowl. That facility was immensely successful even in such a low income neighborhood for decades upon decades. If that building could succeed at that site, Marlins Park definitely can as well.

Next, part of the intention of putting Marlins Park in that area was to help revive the area, which is beloved around here even with its faults. The ballpark has several businesses on the ground level that are open year round and the four parking garages are all built with open business sites on the ground level, which are also intended to be open year round for the purpose of reviving the community. I've seen the proposed list of businesses and while none have opened yet, its all good stuff eventually.

As for the attendance issues at the ballpark, the way South Florida sports fans are, the location will definitely not be a detriment to attendance. Attendance is low now because we are such a bandwagon town, the rebuilding Marlins are getting the least attention behind the bubbling hot Miami Heat. When the Marlins are consistently hot again, the fans will come out regardless of location. Ive seen it happen countless times. Just last year, even with our poor season I saw an increase in attendance and energy/atmosphere just in Jose Fernandez's starts alone. It was like a whole different crowd when he was on the mound. Miami has its attendance issues but the ballpark site isn't the reason for it.

That's it. Sorry if its a long read but I'm such a diehard Fish fan that I wanted to give u my complete and best possible answer. Thank you again for asking!

Thanks for the reply. I used to live in North St Louis where bars on the windows and doors are common and it is due to high crime - keeping the crackheads and burglars out. Unfortunately it also keeps firefighters out sometimes when there is a fire. If the Cardinals were still at the old location of Sportsman's Park I guarantee it would hurt attendance because it simply isn't a safe place to park and walk to the stadium.

I've heard a lot about the Marlins park and I enjoy surfing the world with google maps using the pegman feature which takes you to street level and I was surprised to see bars on windows and doors directly across the street from the ballpark.

# 53 Knight165 @ 03/12/14 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Thanks for the reply. I used to live in North St Louis where bars on the windows and doors are common and it is due to high crime - keeping the crackheads and burglars out. Unfortunately it also keeps firefighters out sometimes when there is a fire. If the Cardinals were still at the old location of Sportsman's Park I guarantee it would hurt attendance because it simply isn't a safe place to park and walk to the stadium.

I've heard a lot about the Marlins park and I enjoy surfing the world with google maps using the pegman feature which takes you to street level and I was surprised to see bars on windows and doors directly across the street from the ballpark.
Not happening.

M.K.
Knight165

# 54 youngjohnny91 @ 03/12/14 02:23 PM
Los Angeles Angels!!!

# 55 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/12/14 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Except now I have to think about a dev possibly using the Cubs as I work on them. The pressure.

Yep, don't disappoint me

# 56 Knight165 @ 03/12/14 07:42 PM
Kirby......I bet your pop(and you I'm sure....going with him to work sometime) knows what that is in the pic!

M.K.
Knight165

# 57 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/12/14 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Kirby......I bet your pop(and you I'm sure....going with him to work sometime) knows what that is in the pic!

M.K.
Knight165
Knight, I honestly wasn't sure, but it looked familiar. A little help from my Brother-In-Law (also a firefighter) tells me that is a halligan. Bring one next time you come out to San Diego. You can demonstrate how to use it on some cubicles. Haha.

# 58 Knight165 @ 03/12/14 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
Knight, I honestly wasn't sure, but it looked familiar. A little help from my Brother-In-Law (also a firefighter) tells me that is a halligan. Bring one next time you come out to San Diego. You can demonstrate how to use it on some cubicles. Haha.
Haha...but something tells me I won't get past airport security with that!
(I'm hoping your "next time" comment is a portend for next year!...)

M.K.
Knight165

# 59 Bobhead @ 03/13/14 12:10 AM
I'm going to just say the New York Mets are the best franchise to use. This has nothing to do with hometown bias, either.

Nope.

# 60 Tweeg @ 03/13/14 03:23 PM
Looking forward to a Blue Jays franchise this year. Hopefully I don't get bored playing too many games in a dome in Toronto and Tampa.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.