Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Hey everyone, I’m Kirby St. John, a designer with the MLB The Show development team. My main focus year-to-year is improving and evolving one of our most popular modes, Road to The Show. The mode made some big strides last year, especially in terms of gameplay and presentation, but for MLB 14, we really wanted to focus on the logic and systems that govern the mode in an effort to allow for more variety and less restrictions. We also wanted to provide some new experiences never seen before in RTTS. The video touched on a lot of topics, but in this blog I will expand on what was introduced there and discuss some of the exciting things that were only briefly mentioned.

Read More - Dev Blog: RTTS The Evolution Continues in MLB 14 The Show

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 rynecandy @ 03/17/14 02:21 PM
I'm guessing with fielding/base running giving you points, we aren't going to get the option to sign as a DH with a team late in our careers. Maybe next year, they can figure out a way to allow players switch to DH. It would benefit those who don't like to play the field or want that aspect of realism in the game.

# 22 stlchamp10 @ 03/17/14 02:27 PM

# 23 PsychoBulk @ 03/17/14 02:28 PM
Excellent list of changes.

As others have said, the new advancement logic gives me more motivation to try this mode out this year.

Im a staunch Franchise man on the whole but am more than willing to give RTTS some play time this go around based on those changes.

# 24 MrOldboy @ 03/17/14 02:32 PM
Glad you get training points for going to college. Hopefully it's a meaningful amount that gets you closer to the MLB like a college draft pick might.

I don't play RTTS to old age so I'm more than willing to sacrifice some years if I can get a head start. I really hope this makes it easier as well to have multiple players. Unless instead of the college route being a head start, the high school route is a slower start compared to past RTTS's.

# 25 Pezell04x @ 03/17/14 02:40 PM
Having not played The Show since 10, I can not wait for this game. I am so amped to throw this into my PS4.

# 26 Pezell04x @ 03/17/14 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woz411
A bit confused. So say you are killing it in AA as a starter, you will be more likely to be called up to AAA then you would have in this years game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They said it is pretty rare, but it is possible. It also states "the right situation" which could mean injury, september roster expansion or the club perceives you as better than the AAA guy based on potential and the starter in MLB isn't cutting it.

# 27 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/17/14 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13

Wonderful job, SCEA! RTTS is going to be amazing this year. I am now definitely investing a ton more time into this mode this year. Enjoy a cold one on me.
Okay, I'd like that. I guess you can Paypal me a couple dollars

# 28 MrOldboy @ 03/17/14 02:57 PM
Does the 2x boost count for simulated games?

This is really interesting in that if you save your stubs up from playing other modes you can technically sim all your minor league games and get ~50% of the training points you could have (although a human could play above the sim stats. You can also lower the difficulty/sliders and cheese points a bit more if you play the games). And then use the 2x boost to get around the normal amount of points. Granted I guess we don't know how fast you can earn stubs and how that will translate to the store purchases exactly yet.

I've said this before, but I like to make many different types of RTTS players each year. Zero-power 2B, side-arming closer, etc. So I will take any advantage of anything that can let me make secondary RTTS players easier and less time consuming.

# 29 NewNapkin @ 03/17/14 03:04 PM
This looks amazing!

I have one question though. Last year, the difficulties were tiered based on if you were in AA, AAA, MLB, etc. It gave me a headache trying to figure out the most realistic levels to set it on, as baseball is a very unpredictable game, so I couldn't figure out which difficulties to be on and when.

Will the difficulties still be tiered based on your settings and what level in the organization you are in?

# 30 Russell_SCEA @ 03/17/14 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
What percentage of players partake in the rtts mode? I,for one, have never touched it. Hope as much/more detail goes into actual gameplay and presentation for PS4.
90% of all the games played in MLB 13 were played in RTTS.

# 31 aukevin @ 03/17/14 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Do you have any stats that are based on hours played compared to franchise since 4 RTTS games could easily be played in the same amount of time of a franchise or exhibition game?

# 32 LastActionHero @ 03/17/14 03:21 PM
Quote:
Wow, wouldn't have thought that. Interesting.

# 33 MrOldboy @ 03/17/14 03:22 PM
Quote:
Makes sense since RTTS requires you to play games more than any other mode due to points only really being given in useful amounts if you don't sim. Plus the games can be much shorter than other modes. I'm assuming your figure doesn't count simmed games though.

I probably play 90% of my games in RTTS, as I sim probably 80% of games in franchise at least.

Do you know how many users (%) that do or don't start a RTTS player at all?

# 34 Qb @ 03/17/14 03:36 PM
Nice! Catcher is the only position I really want to play, but in the past it negated the draw of shorter games to move the season along. In the future, it'd be cool if pitch receiving & blocking not only involved moving the glove, but also shifting your feet/body using the triggers.

# 35 Jakeness23 @ 03/17/14 03:42 PM
What I'm wondering is, if you decide to go back to school and compete in the Showcase again, will you be competing against different players (that years draft) or the same players again. And if I stay in school say 3 years, when I enter the league, will this years' rookies still be rookies or will they be 3 years into their careers? Basically, does the game simulate the minor and MLB seasons while you are "in school?"

# 36 ryanmc564 @ 03/17/14 03:43 PM
Quote:
I'm curious to how you would know what people played the most . was it from polls? or are you guys somehow able to track activity use from the game being connected online?

# 37 aukevin @ 03/17/14 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
What I'm wondering is, if you decide to go back to school and compete in the Showcase again, will you be competing against different players (that years draft) or the same players again. And if I stay in school say 3 years, when I enter the league, will this years' rookies still be rookies or will they be 3 years into their careers? Basically, does the game simulate the minor and MLB seasons while you are "in school?"
That's a good question, I'd like to see an answer for that too. I had assumed your first season is always going to be 2014 no matter what route you went.

# 38 nomo17k @ 03/17/14 03:48 PM
All nice additions/improvements. I wonder what can be expected of the "sign" system (e.g., bunting, stealing, hit & run, etc.) that was removed?

# 39 MrOldboy @ 03/17/14 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
I'm more curious if the players in the draft have to go into RTTS with you. I always just add myself to a team in RTTS so I don't remember how its handled when you are in the draft.

What happens currently when you go into RTTS with full 90 man rosters? Do the players in the draft go into the ether, or are they added to teams similar to how draft picks are in franchise?

# 40 Russell_SCEA @ 03/17/14 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
I'm curious to how you would know what people played the most . was it from polls? or are you guys somehow able to track activity use from the game being connected online?
We track user activity from being connected online.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.