Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Hey everyone, I’m Kirby St. John, a designer with the MLB The Show development team. My main focus year-to-year is improving and evolving one of our most popular modes, Road to The Show. The mode made some big strides last year, especially in terms of gameplay and presentation, but for MLB 14, we really wanted to focus on the logic and systems that govern the mode in an effort to allow for more variety and less restrictions. We also wanted to provide some new experiences never seen before in RTTS. The video touched on a lot of topics, but in this blog I will expand on what was introduced there and discuss some of the exciting things that were only briefly mentioned.

Read More - Dev Blog: RTTS The Evolution Continues in MLB 14 The Show

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 aukevin @ 03/18/14 11:59 AM
So one thing that is out this year due to the draft is being able to force your player into a specific organization right? That'll change the way I play a little because I would either choose my favorite team (Braves) or an organization that is in need of my position. Sounds like this year you gotta hope you don't end up deep in the depth chart behind MLB stars.

# 102 krmarks @ 03/18/14 12:10 PM
I think I read you can still choose your team, they may just draft you later than other teams would....if that makes sense.

# 103 aukevin @ 03/18/14 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmarks
I think I read you can still choose your team, they may just draft you later than other teams would....if that makes sense.
You're right, I see that bullet now. Thanks.

• You can still choose your organization before the Draft. You will be taken by the team of your choice in the round you have been projected for.

# 104 TarHeelbred33 @ 03/18/14 12:55 PM
As a wise man once said, "cant wait!"

# 105 Sco291 @ 03/18/14 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_ball
I will always love this series but it's time for negatives because this community gives to much praise & little negative. First with RTTS where's a draft presentation? Why can't you do that? Base it off the real life like MLB network. I want to here player voices like in NBA 2k14. & I can still see that the fielding animations are horrible still they look like the guy is on some drug. I'm sorry but MVP baseball had better fielding animations & that was in 2005! In MLB they always were stiff. I'm hoping this is just the ps3 version & vita. Because NBA did do this also I was hating & then the ps4 stuff came out. So I'll give it time. But you guys need to be quicker with info I understand about the ps4 but the ps3 doesn't really have anything either? Like what? Come on. & with NBA 2k In mind make a good my team like with historic packs & team packs & etc. No one wants fake players. If you copied the nba 2k my team you would have so much fans. Baseball & MLB the show will always be life both in real life & my video game. Form ruin it. Show improvements & how about this little detail you know how a pitcher or batter steps out how about you make the screen shake making you want to step out making it more realistic. & also show fights & brawls. & get the new replay system in there please everything I just said.......
not sure if srs

# 106 JohnnyP1119 @ 03/18/14 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
A lot of great improvements, but I think the way attribute points is handled may be the best change in the whole RTTS experience. It appears that initial ratings will be higher and we won't come in as a 55-rated player with A-potential. Instead, we can actually have some skill entering the minors, like in real life. Also, increasing the cost of attribute points as the ratings increase is going to be amazing and will make the mode more of a grind. It was too easy to turn into an arcade freak within two years and I actually had to just sit on points because I didn't want to hit 80 HR every year. I love the strategy this adds, especially with the cost to simply maintain the attributes as well. Fantastic steps to make this more of a true RPG within a sports game.
This...everything sounds awesome and this fix is great. It got to the point where your maxed out and it wasn't realistic.

I have a couple questions though.

1. will other major leaguers in your RTTS see rise/decline in there stats?

2. will injuries hamper attributes?
For example as a 1B, you have shoulder surgery and when you come back your durability lowers a few points as well as your power. Then the highest you can put power up to lowers from 99 to a high of 95 because of the injury.

Similar to speed guys...you tear a hammy, the highest your speed can get up to is now only 95, and you lose speed when you come back, as you probably would in real-life

# 107 hysteria499 @ 03/18/14 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
This sounds really impressive. I think I will give RTTS a shot for the first time this year. Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to use custom rosters with RTTS? Not a big deal if not but I think I would prefer playing against fictional players over the actual MLB if I was to create a new guy.
You can indeed use custom rosters.

# 108 Armor and Sword @ 03/18/14 02:24 PM
I am really looking forward to this mode....I have dabbled in RTTS mode before (mostly on 12) and enjoyed it but never fully immersed myself.

These enhancements are really really inviting!

Can't wait to do this. My son will also create himself as a SS. He is pumped for this mode.

# 109 brettryantalley @ 03/18/14 03:24 PM
If I choose a 4 year college, will all other players on the roster age 4 years? Meaning some will retire, some prospects are legit all stars, some all stars are at the end of their careers, etc...

# 110 jmaj315 @ 03/18/14 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettryantalley
If I choose a 4 year college, will all other players on the roster age 4 years? Meaning some will retire, some prospects are legit all stars, some all stars are at the end of their careers, etc...
Your first pro season will always be 2014.

# 111 royals19 @ 03/18/14 03:54 PM
That looks awesome, I'm pumped for this to come out.

I've never been big into RTTS but this might make me drink the Kool-Aid.

# 112 hysteria499 @ 03/18/14 03:57 PM
I am looking forward to this big time. Though I tinker with a little big in franchise in MLB the show. I think 2013 was the first year I just mainly plated RTTS. Its the mode I have pretty much always played since 07. It is nice and refreshing to see that they like to listen to the players and improve all the modes year after year. This is why I come back to this game year after year and buy it. It makes me look forward to next years game and the year after that and so on and so on. Now to get on with my point of this post and enough brown nosing yeah? Some of the things I am excited for!

1. The whole new progression into your character and its not all just based on attributes anymore!

2. I am so glad they added their version of a rookie showcase. That is something we have been asking for well for awhile now.

3. The draft being improved is nice. And I am sure in time will get even better. It is also nice to see that they added the feature to go back to school and such if you didn't like how you were drafted.

4. I am encouraged to make a catcher this year from the changes. It always took forever to call a game and now its just in important situations. Also its nice to know you actually have to catch the ball now! Makes sense since you are a catcher.

So all in all I know I didn't touch everything but Bravo SCEA. Also what is your paypal Kirby since I think a drink is well deserved your way friend.

# 113 redsox4evur @ 03/18/14 04:18 PM
I will probably play more RTTS now with the ability to carry it over to the next year's game. I was mad that I pretty much lost everything when the next years game came out. But can someone answer one question for me. It is when you carry rtts' over to the next game will you still be in year 2020 for example or will you start again in the year 2015 will all the same attributes and stuff?

Thanks

# 114 bfindeisen @ 03/18/14 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_ball
Help the community get even better. It's already small & that makes it even easier for them to listen. Tell them what you want & they'll listen. I feel like you guys never do. I never made an account on her before but I always looked on here to check news since 12.
Someone point him to the Wishlist thread.

# 115 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/18/14 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria499
So all in all I know I didn't touch everything but Bravo SCEA. Also what is your paypal Kirby since I think a drink is well deserved your way friend.

Trust me, all of the comments on here and elsewhere is thanks enough. Plus, this was a team effort, so I can't take all the credit. There were plenty of artists, programmers, and other designers who contributed to RTTS this year. We thank everyone for continuing to challenge us to be better and provide the best game/mode possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 116 analogdan @ 03/18/14 05:14 PM
Has contract logic been improved?

Playing every at-bat for 6+ seasons only to be greeted by the awful former contract logic and negotiation screen was really discouraging.

# 117 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/18/14 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogdan
Has contract logic been improved?

Playing every at-bat for 6+ seasons only to be greeted by the awful former contract logic and negotiation screen was really discouraging.
You will probably be getting some more info on this topic when the Franchise blog comes out. Things like trade logic and contract logic in RTTS are most often dependent on what exists in Franchise.

# 118 analogdan @ 03/18/14 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
You will probably be getting some more info on this topic when the Franchise blog comes out. Things like trade logic and contract logic in RTTS are most often dependent on what exists in Franchise.
Thanks Kirby. You guys rule. Can't wait to get this for PS4 and Vita.

# 119 redsox4evur @ 03/18/14 05:36 PM
Kirby I have another question but what will the progression for the other players be like in RTTS will be like 13 where guys like, Mo Rivera, Jeter, Ortiz A-Rod, etc. will be rated around a 70 by the end of the first year. That was one thing I did not like about 13 was the rapid regression of players that are in their upper 30's. Because that really ticked me off and made franchise a little less unplayable. Thanks

# 120 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/18/14 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Kirby I have another question but what will the progression for the other players be like in RTTS will be like 13 where guys like, Mo Rivera, Jeter, Ortiz A-Rod, etc. will be rated around a 70 by the end of the first year. That was one thing I did not like about 13 was the rapid regression of players that are in their upper 30's. Because that really ticked me off and made franchise a little less unplayable. Thanks
This is another thing that will likely get addressed in the Franchise blog, but I will say that some work went into making that type of regression less predictable and a little more reasonable in most cases.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.