Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Hey everyone, I’m Kirby St. John, a designer with the MLB The Show development team. My main focus year-to-year is improving and evolving one of our most popular modes, Road to The Show. The mode made some big strides last year, especially in terms of gameplay and presentation, but for MLB 14, we really wanted to focus on the logic and systems that govern the mode in an effort to allow for more variety and less restrictions. We also wanted to provide some new experiences never seen before in RTTS. The video touched on a lot of topics, but in this blog I will expand on what was introduced there and discuss some of the exciting things that were only briefly mentioned.

Read More - Dev Blog: RTTS The Evolution Continues in MLB 14 The Show

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 ShowTyme15 @ 03/18/14 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA
This is another thing that will likely get addressed in the Franchise blog, but I will say that some work went into making that type of regression less predictable and a little more reasonable in most cases.
This was somewhat evident in a screenshot posted last week. Tim Hudson was a 41 year old Free Agent with a 70 overall. Seems reasonable to me. In 13 he would have already retired or regressed even more than that.

# 122 MrOldboy @ 03/18/14 06:20 PM
Quote:
This is another thing that will likely get addressed in the Franchise blog, but I will say that some work went into making that type of regression less predictable and a little more reasonable in most cases.
Very glad to hear. If it is less agressive it would make not being able to edit players in online franchise easier to deal with. One the main things I used editing to do was keep players like Ortiz, Ichiro, Soriano, etc from bottoming out so quickly.

Excited to hear more of the progression/regression changes.

# 123 redsox4evur @ 03/18/14 06:24 PM
Quote:
Thank you for the response. And I am very happy that will not happen as much this year. And makes want to April 1 to come even more faster than I already wanted it to. Also when will that blog be coming out because the ps3 version is supposed to release in 2 weeks. And if it already has been released can you give me a link to it for me please and thanks.

# 124 Heroesandvillains @ 03/18/14 06:25 PM
Quote:
Trust me, all of the comments on here and elsewhere is thanks enough. Plus, this was a team effort, so I can't take all the credit. There were plenty of artists, programmers, and other designers who contributed to RTTS this year. We thank everyone for continuing to challenge us to be better and provide the best game/mode possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirby, I just want to know if you've officially relinquished dibs on that drink? Hysteria seems like he really wants to give it away and I have PayPal and I....

Forget it. I'll buy my own. You've earned it.

Super excited for RTTS for the first time, well, ever. I'm floored at the list if tweaks/additions/improvements. It's pretty incredible.

# 125 Sco291 @ 03/18/14 06:26 PM
Never been into RTTS at all....and I think the thing that's held me back from keeping my interest in the mode was the advancement goals. SO happy to see those are now a thing of the past.

The video blog was amazing, Kirby looks like you and Co. really worked your tail off man. Going to definitely have to make time between my Franchise to start a RTTS.

# 126 redsox4evur @ 03/18/14 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco291
Never been into RTTS at all....and I think the thing that's held me back from keeping my interest in the mode was the advancement goals. SO happy to see those are now a thing of the past.

The video blog was amazing, Kirby looks like you and Co. really worked your tail off man. Going to definitely have to make time between my Franchise to start a RTTS.

Really interested in starting over a career of an already major leaguer. That looks SWEET as hell. Hoping Franchise blog is next
The part where you get to choose another major leaguer is not what you think it is. It is, "To start, you now have the option to create a player modeled after a real MLB® player. If you choose to do so, your player’s skill set will emulate that of the player you chose, but with trimmed down attributes to make him Double-A quality. In addition, you will also inherit other things like his body attributes, handedness, signature animations, pitch repertoire (if applicable), and accessories. However, all of that is still editable to your liking." that is from the article posted on here by Kirby.

# 127 Kirby_SCEA @ 03/18/14 06:33 PM
These two bullets that Ramone posted a little while back are relevant to RTTS. Hopefully they help answer some of your questions:

-Player regression has been improved to slow down the amount older players will decline (This does not apply to the RTTS player, but it does to AI players)

-Player salary logic improvements to keep them more in line with real-life (minor league players will garner salaries more reflective of the minors) (This does impact your RTTS player when it comes to salary negotiations)

To see more of what Ramone posted on Offline Franchise mode, go here: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show/711831-mlb-14-show-blog-online-franchise-8.html#post2046010080

# 128 zello144 @ 03/18/14 07:15 PM
Got a question on when we create our player if we choose to model them after an MLB player can it be a free agent or do they have to be on a team.( ie what if I wanna make my guy like Manny)
Another thing is if we are a closer or reliever will we be able to warm up in the bullpen before being put in?

# 129 Sco291 @ 03/18/14 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
The part where you get to choose another major leaguer is not what you think it is. It is, "To start, you now have the option to create a player modeled after a real MLB® player. If you choose to do so, your player’s skill set will emulate that of the player you chose, but with trimmed down attributes to make him Double-A quality. In addition, you will also inherit other things like his body attributes, handedness, signature animations, pitch repertoire (if applicable), and accessories. However, all of that is still editable to your liking." that is from the article posted on here by Kirby.
Must have gotten some bad info then haha but yea I knew about that part, I'm loving that part too. Great addition.

# 130 redsox4evur @ 03/18/14 07:50 PM
Quote:
Must have gotten some bad info then haha but yea I knew about that part, I'm loving that part too. Great addition.
Honestly when I first read about I was like sweet I can be my own created guy but start out with the attributes of a Mike Trout, or Kershaw. But yea it is a great addition to the game and I actually like everything they have to revamp RTTS. And actually after reading through the online franchise blog thread I might not devote as much time to franchise this year because of the improvements they made/didn't make.

# 131 Sco291 @ 03/18/14 08:13 PM
Quote:
Honestly when I first read about I was like sweet I can be my own created guy but start out with the attributes of a Mike Trout, or Kershaw. But yea it is a great addition to the game and I actually like everything they have to revamp RTTS. And actually after reading through the online franchise blog thread I might not devote as much time to franchise this year because of the improvements they made/didn't make
Agreed. Especially about Franchise. Really bummed to hear that online additions/changes didn't make it offline, but I'm not gonna start talking about franchise in this thread and clog it up, so I'll save it for the next dev blog. I'm still sure it'll be great though, especially with next gen graphics if you're getting a PS4.

# 132 redsox4evur @ 03/18/14 08:17 PM
Quote:
Agreed. Especially about Franchise. Really bummed to hear that online additions/changes didn't make it offline, but I'm not gonna start talking about franchise in this thread and clog it up, so I'll save it for the next dev blog. I'm still sure it'll be great though, especially with next gen graphics if you're getting a PS4.
No I'm not probably am going to wait for a price drop or next year if 15 is only on the ps4 because the show is really the only game I play on play station

# 133 Assassin @ 03/18/14 11:19 PM
This is going to be awesome I liked RTTS last year but these improvements are even better. This mode is going to kick ***.

# 134 Knight165 @ 03/18/14 11:25 PM
Yep.

The guys working on this game are a truly dedicated crew.
The teams for each portion of the game are crazy passionate about making each year a better experience from the last.

It's a shame they don't get more time...because their ideas for franchise.....DD....RTTS....all the modes are absolutely SICK. I hate that they have to pick just a few and focus on those for each version...because there just isn't enough dev time.

But then again...we're lucky to get as much change as we do as well!

M.K.
Knight165

# 135 redsox4evur @ 03/19/14 09:01 AM
Knight if you really think about they get a full year to work on these games. But honestly it sucks that the stuff that goes into making games takes so long. So that way they can't certain things into certain modes that are in that same mode but only available online or offline!!!!

# 136 Aggies7 @ 03/19/14 09:08 AM
I like the chance to go back to school if your not happy with draft. Does that mean you get to play the 3 game amateur showcase again?

# 137 aukevin @ 03/19/14 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I like the chance to go back to school if your not happy with draft. Does that mean you get to play the 3 game amateur showcase again?
Yes, the guy who wrote the Polygon article about RTTS said you play the showcase again after your time in college.

# 138 Aggies7 @ 03/19/14 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
Yes, the guy who wrote the Polygon article about RTTS said you play the showcase again after your time in college.

Awesome. Thanks for answer. Love that addition.

# 139 Woodweaver @ 03/19/14 10:53 AM
Quote:
Knight if you really think about they get a full year to work on these games. But honestly it sucks that the stuff that goes into making games takes so long. So that way they can't certain things into certain modes that are in that same mode but only available online or offline!!!!

It actually works out to approximately 9 months of full production time. When you consider that many titles take 3+ years, it certainly underlines the challenge.

# 140 hysteria499 @ 03/19/14 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
It actually works out to approximately 9 months of full production time. When you consider that many titles take 3+ years, it certainly underlines the challenge.
All I know is you guys do a excellent job xD

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.