Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

EA Sports UFC Creative Director, Brian Hayes is answering questions on the EA forums. Here are a few highlights:

- What is the takedown mechanic? Is it a shine, button mashing, or just something that is left up to stats/timing?

Takedown attempts are performed by holding the left trigger and performing a gesture with the right stick. The fighter’s ratings will determine how quickly the defend has to react in order to defend the takedown. There is no button-mashing or shining.

- How in depth will fighter entrances be?

Pretty in-depth. We include the walkouts, the official inspection, entering the octagon and the full introduction from Bruce Buffer. A lot of the fighters have unique entrance animations. We shorten some things up though so that it doesn’t take 15-20 minutes for the fight to actually start from the time the first fighter comes out of the tunnel.

- Can we expect a realistic post fight experience as far as the official decisons and how fighters react to winning close fights and things like that?

Some people will say the post fight experience is realistic enough, and some people won’t. Other people are just going to button through it anyway .

- How many possible ko animations are there and is it possible to ko someone from any position in the octagon?

There are some ground positions where a KO isn’t possible, for example, if you are postured down in full guard you’re not going to be getting enough power on your strikes to put somebody out. And some positions in the clinch, for example if you have double unders, you’re not going to KO your opponent with knees to the legs or shoulder shots.

- Explanation in detail how the parry system works?

Holding the right trigger is a simple block that will give you some protection against any incoming attacks. The longer you turtle up like this, the less effective it becomes. Holding the right trigger and pressing a punch button will block high, or pressing a kick button will block low. These blocks will give you almost 100% protection against attacks in those respective regions. If you perform a high or low block with the right timing, properly anticipating or reacting to your opponent’s incoming strike, then you will perform a parry which will give you a chance to counter.

- Will you be able to make a CAF with a decent overall right off the bat or will you start with low amount of points then have to build them up?

If you’re making one outside of Career Mode, you can do whatever you want. If you are starting a new Career, all fighters start with the same overall rating, but a different distribution of attributes based on their fighting style.

- One review said no minors or majors just transitions. Is this true?

We have basic and skilled transitions. You need to use a skilled transition to get to rubber guard (if your fighter has that ability) or to pass straight into full mount from half-guard. Stuff like that. Skilled transitions are performed with the same right stick gesture, but you also hold the left bumper button. Sweeps from the bottom are treated as skilled transitions also.

- Can we record highlights and put them as a video to the background in the menus or main menu? Or is it just those cool pictures like in Fight Night and other EA SPORTS titles.

It’s just those cool pictures. But the PS4 and XB1 both feature Game DVR capabilities that allow you to record and share stuff. Also, any highlight reel generated in an online match automatically gets uploaded to a feature we call UFC Spotlight. You can go there to view your own highlights, your friends highlights and everyone’s highlights.

You can read more from the very extensive Q&A on the official EA Forums.

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/21/14 05:50 PM
Reading through this now, looks like a lot of good stuff. Surprised we're getting 7 women in the game.

# 2 ManiacMatt1782 @ 03/21/14 06:12 PM
On page 3 confirmation that there are no restrictions on Created fighters made outside of career mode.

Great news for anyone who wants to create fighters not in the game.

# 3 sportsfan8812 @ 03/21/14 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
On page 3 confirmation that there are no restrictions on Created fighters made outside of career mode.

I saw that as well. Fantastic news. Has it been announced whether or not there will be fighter share or anything like that? Like the ability to download other users CAF's?

# 4 aholbert32 @ 03/21/14 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan8812
I saw that as well. Fantastic news. Has it been announced whether or not there will be fighter share or anything like that? Like the ability to download other users CAF's?
Not yet but I bet its in the game. Without it we still have options like MMA-CAF.com for CAFs.

# 5 aholbert32 @ 03/21/14 07:12 PM
Quote:

Couldnt be happier about this! Now lets hope they have more than 40 CAF slots.

# 6 ManiacMatt1782 @ 03/21/14 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan8812
Game face is in. So the hardest part getting the face right can be done by uploading photos onto your ea profile on ea's website. Then tweaking the body, trunks, and stats can all be done at the users discression

# 7 sportsfan8812 @ 03/21/14 08:03 PM
Quote:
Game face is in. So the hardest part getting the face right can be done by uploading photos onto your ea profile on ea's website. Then tweaking the body, trunks, and stats can all be done at the users discression
Yeah. I've just never been good at the CAF's. Like getting the real life fighter to mirror the video game fighter in terms of stats and abilities. I don't think I have ever been as excited for a game as I am for this one.

# 8 CaliDude916 @ 03/21/14 08:25 PM
Awesome that we get 7 female fighters. Aside from Rousey and Tate, I'm gonna guess the other 5 are McMann, Carmouche, Zingano, Davis, and Eye or Kaufman.

# 9 sportsfan8812 @ 03/21/14 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude916
Awesome that we get 7 female fighters. Aside from Rousey and Tate, I'm gonna guess the other 5 are McMann, Carmouche, Zingano, Davis, and Eye or Kaufman.
You are probably right. To be honest though, I would be totally fine with just Rousey and Tate if that meant more spots for the young guys in the mens divisions

# 10 SHAKYR @ 03/22/14 03:54 AM
Many of the answers the producers gave were very discouraging in me buying the game immediately. The Offline and single player features will be lacking on purpose. The Created a Fighter part of the game sound disappointing in this age and time of technology. I wonder how long the excuse of new technology is going to be used as an excuse instead of saying something wasn't part of their plan? You have no offline freedom. It's your offline experience which should be how ever you want, career and all!

# 11 Dazraz @ 03/22/14 02:30 PM
I really hate it when developers use the excuse that gamers skip through cut scenes so we didn't bother too much with them. It's the little details that have helped make NBA 2K & MLB The Show stand out amongst sports games.

# 12 SHAKYR @ 03/22/14 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
I really hate it when developers use the excuse that gamers skip through cut scenes so we didn't bother too much with them. It's the little details that have helped make NBA 2K & MLB The Show stand out amongst sports games.
You are exactly right.

# 13 aholbert32 @ 03/22/14 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
Many of the answers the producers gave were very discouraging in me buying the game immediately. The Offline and single player features will be lacking on purpose. The Created a Fighter part of the game sound disappointing in this age and time of technology. I wonder how long the excuse of new technology is going to be used as an excuse instead of saying something wasn't part of their plan? You have no offline freedom. It's your offline experience which should be how ever you want, career and all!
What do you mean "you have no offline freedom"?

The CAF response was a legitimate response. One, THQ took 3 games to get a decent CAF option. For three versions they had arbitrary caps on ratings. In the first two versions of the Undisputed, there was a huge difference between licensed fighters and CAFs when it came to graphics. All three versions had limits when it came to head shapes and facial features making it difficult to create guys like Big Foot Silva or Randy Couture.

I envision that CAF will be like EA MMA and if thats the case I'm OK with it. Fightershare makes it easy to download fighters. Gameface will help when it comes to faces (as long as there are no serious bugs like in FNC) and there is no ratings cap. That alone makes it better than THQ's CAF already.

# 14 grodbetatted @ 03/22/14 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
What do you mean "you have no offline freedom"?

The CAF response was a legitimate response. One, THQ took 3 games to get a decent CAF option. For three versions they had arbitrary caps on ratings. In the first two versions of the Undisputed, there was a huge difference between licensed fighters and CAFs when it came to graphics. All three versions had limits when it came to head shapes and facial features making it difficult to create guys like Big Foot Silva or Randy Couture.

I envision that CAF will be like EA MMA and if thats the case I'm OK with it. Fightershare makes it easy to download fighters. Gameface will help when it comes to faces (as long as there are no serious bugs like in FNC) and there is no ratings cap. That alone makes it better than THQ's CAF already.
I just feel as long as EA SPORTS makes the games people will always knit pick at every little thing. The game to me sounds excellent, game face sounds great, yea cut scenes at the end of fights are taken away I can live with that, entrances aren't gonna take 20 minutes I can deal with that as well. The game will have flaws just like 2k and any other game, but it will be good. People just need to get over that EA hatred. We all grew up on EA games, without ea most sports games wouldn't exist.

# 15 sportsfan8812 @ 03/23/14 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodbetatted
I just feel as long as EA SPORTS makes the games people will always knit pick at every little thing. The game to me sounds excellent, game face sounds great, yea cut scenes at the end of fights are taken away I can live with that, entrances aren't gonna take 20 minutes I can deal with that as well. The game will have flaws just like 2k and any other game, but it will be good. People just need to get over that EA hatred. We all grew up on EA games, without ea most sports games wouldn't exist.
Im with you 100%. I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. Yes, some fighters and features will be missing but regardless, its going to be a great game and you can't please everyone. Someone is always going to have something negative to say.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.