Home
R.B.I. Baseball 14 News Post

With the official release dates and pricing revealed earlier today, there are a couple of R.B.I. Baseball 14 hands-on previews on the web. We'll try to add more, as we find them.

Below are write-ups from Polygon (Samit Sarkar) and Sports on Earth (Will Leitch).

Polygon

Quote:
Unlike most sports titles from the past two decades, R.B.I. 14 doesn't provide any ratings for players or teams. Until they jump into a game, a casual baseball fan would have no way of knowing whether the Detroit Tigers are better than the Houston Astros (they are), or whether Aroldis Chapman's fastball is faster than C.C. Sabathia's (it is). There's no bullpen management in R.B.I. 14 — you just bring in a new pitcher, no warm-up needed.

Once players get into a game of R.B.I. 14, they'll find a simplified experience that still leaves room for experienced players to put their skills to good use. All hurlers have three types of pitches at their disposal: normal, fast and off-speed, with the latter having the potential to dive into the dirt for certain pitchers. As in the original R.B.I. Baseball titles, you'll be able to curve the ball from side to side after it's out of the pitcher's hand; better pitchers will have more control here, and slow pitches are more movable than fastballs.

Sports on Earth

Quote:
Same three body types: Skinny, normal and fat. The fat guys look a little less fat than on the original, partly because of improved graphics and mostly, I suspect, because of player vanity. There are five different facial hair styles, but they're purposefully imprecise. The best way to put it: David Ortiz sort of looks like Common.

No stats. This is not a simulation: You won't be keeping season stats, which is good, because I'm pretty sure Miguel Cabrera would end up with 194 home runs. You can play full seasons though -- 162 games, 81, or 52 -- as well as the postseason.

Game: R.B.I. Baseball 14Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Android / iOS / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 10 - View All
R.B.I. Baseball 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Blzer @ 04/07/14 03:58 PM
I liked reading about them saying how they want people to "learn by discovery." This is exactly why I want OVR (overall) ratings to be ditched in sports games, or at least put to the wayside. It becomes a big distraction.

I want to play this for sure, but a franchise mode or online play would have been nice. Maybe next year?

# 2 thaSLAB @ 04/07/14 04:11 PM

# 3 Will I Am @ 04/07/14 05:49 PM
Oh man curve the ball from side to side after release, I wonder what you call that type of pitch.

# 4 braves_94 @ 04/07/14 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
Oh man curve the ball from side to side after release, I wonder what you call that type of pitch.
Any Red Sox fan could tell you that... gyroball.

# 5 Moose Factory @ 04/07/14 06:47 PM
I wonder if there will be commentary?

# 6 aguero90 @ 04/08/14 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Factory
I wonder if there will be commentary?
That's what I wondered as well.

# 7 Rifle_Man81 @ 04/08/14 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens52bears54
No season stats. No online. $20.

So much for being excited about this.
I expected the game to be $15-20. I can understand forgoing online at launch. A 162 game season WITHOUT stats? With so little else to do in this game the saving grace for "replayability" would at least have been trying to set & top statistical achievements.

''' "No stats. This is not a simulation: You won't be keeping season stats, which is good, because I'm pretty sure Miguel Cabrera would end up with 194 home runs." '''

When are stats ever bad? I understand it is not a simulation, but so what? Having some simple benchmarks would really fill this game out nicely. I can't see the incentive for playing more then one season now. I agree with ravens52bears54, its tough to be excited about now.

I also read something about using the D-pad. I hope thats not mandatory.

# 8 krispykeith @ 04/08/14 10:07 AM
I was really excited about this. I mean REALLY excited.

No stats just killed the purchase. I don't care if the stats are realistic but baseball IS stats. Huge mistake to not include them.

Bummer.

# 9 boomhauertjs @ 04/08/14 10:21 AM
In one of the earlier articles about the game, MLBAM mentioned that the results would be like real baseball, but here the writer's saying Miggy would hit 194 home runs. I wonder if that comment was just based on a small sample size.

# 10 crpav @ 04/08/14 11:04 AM
I was very excited and hyped for this but after seeing the price and no stats I might have to pass. I know fun quick games should be the first priority in any game but with baseball, stats is right up there in what a vast majority of people want.

# 11 Rifle_Man81 @ 04/08/14 11:05 AM
According to the article, "I spent 90 minutes talking to Leece, but you don't care about that. What you care about are the 40 minutes we spent playing the game."
Based on that statement and other articles on game time duration, this sample size is 1 game. My understanding of what MLBAM meant was they used statistical analysis to base how the players "felt". It is stated that the players don't have visible player ratings. I also remember reading something about no defensive rating. Though like this game, the original game did not display attributes, players did have a numeric stat for power/contact/speed. Teams had a rating as a whole for defense, specifically related to likelyhood of Error.

# 12 AuditMonkey @ 04/08/14 11:29 AM
Agree that no stats are a killer. If I can't track stats in a season I have no interest in playing. And there I was getting a little excited to give it a try...

# 13 ricky24 @ 04/08/14 11:48 AM
Don't care about stats. Just want a baseball game that is fun to play. Were people really expecting it to be much less than 20???

# 14 econoodle @ 04/08/14 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I liked reading about them saying how they want people to "learn by discovery." This is exactly why I want OVR (overall) ratings to be ditched in sports games, or at least put to the wayside. It becomes a big distraction.

I want to play this for sure, but a franchise mode or online play would have been nice. Maybe next year?
I am starting to feel this way about OVR as well.

# 15 jamiegeist @ 04/08/14 01:47 PM
I'm guessing his "no season stats" comment was a bit of a throwaway, suggesting you wouldn't WANT to keep full season stats because the numbers could be insane.

I can't imagine they would do a 162 game season mode, and the only numbers they'd keep are W/L. That would be an insane misfire. Based on the screenshots containing "Avg: Hr: SB:" under each batter, I have to think those will auto-populate during the full season mode with actual stats. Otherwise what would be the point of them?

But if it doesn't keep stats? I've got my pitchfork ready.

# 16 bkrich83 @ 04/08/14 03:05 PM
Its RBI baseball. Not sure what people were expecting.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

# 17 ricky24 @ 04/08/14 03:36 PM
It's just going to have their stats from the previous year I'm guessing. Just like the original did.

# 18 Rifle_Man81 @ 04/08/14 03:51 PM
I don't think it's expecting too much for the game to have a post game box score and accumulate those for your team during season play. If it wasn't already tracking the team stats I might agree, but it's already halfway there. It looks fun & i'll still probably pick it up tomorrow. I think the name RBI is meant to bring an expectation and standard for gameplay, not as an excuse to lack a feature. It's still baseball. Season mode should always include stats. If it was called Baseball Stars 14 would that justify the expectation?

# 19 roadman @ 04/08/14 04:04 PM
I understand the need for stats for baseball, but I don't remember stats in the old RBI Baseball, so, I wasn't expecting them for this version.

Who knows what the future holds?

# 20 inkcil @ 04/08/14 04:44 PM
I feel like I need more clarification that the ONLY stat being recorded in the game's season mode is wins/losses.

I feel like I'm still unclear. Or maybe I'm just in denial.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.