Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

GameSpot has posted a video comparison between the PS3 and PS4 versions of MLB 14 The Show. Check it out and share your thoughts!

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 nemesis04 @ 04/09/14 04:35 PM
What is up with the split leg slide? Seems to be a prominent slide animation, looks painful!

# 22 Bamafan3723 @ 04/09/14 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
What is up with the split leg slide? Seems to be a prominent slide animation, looks painful!
They've been using DDP Yoga.

# 23 bigdaddykraven @ 04/09/14 04:47 PM
I was explaining to my girlfriend a couple days ago how awesome this game will be on the PS4 and how funny enough, its also the worst version of MLB The Show that we'll be getting on the PS4. I went back and showed her MLB 07 on the PS3 then MLB 14 screenshots and that in its self looks like a generation to generation jump.

Yeah the game looks great and I love it but knowing their attention to detail, in the next 2-3 versions of the game I know I could think of a hundred little things that I'm sure the team has thought of and more.

Now that's not me dogging these guys or this game, I think it looks brilliant as it is, that was more or less talking to the hard work and attention to detail these guys go through.

In the future I'd expect to see some crazy things like the straps on the catcher's mask acting like cloth. Clothing that moves and acts like real fabric. I think I also read that create a stadium is in the plans for the future? The sky is the limit and they've had the restraints removed. In the coming years the need to have the PS3 and PS4 versions feature for feature matching will be less and the TRUE power of the PS4 will be utilized, especially since they now have an engine built for the system.

So like I said, as awesome as this looks, it blows the mind even more to realize that THIS is the WORST VERSION of MLB The Show we will have on the PS4. I can't wait for May 6th so I can happily play with the "worst"

# 24 decga @ 04/09/14 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggazoo
As good as it looks, the PS4 version isn't $500 better.
Hello! No game is. No sport event ticket is! There is very few things in life that are worth dropping $500 at one time, other than a roof over your head. BUT! If you were planning to get a PS4 within the next two years. Its no time like present if you have the cash to just do it...

# 25 SCB1990 @ 04/09/14 05:58 PM
Really looking forward to this. Even If I do still need to buy a PS4/New TV and the game.

# 26 hawley088 @ 04/09/14 07:25 PM
wasnt what I was expecting but to me it looks like 2x better character models, 5x better crowd, and 50x better lighting

# 27 Lovesports @ 04/09/14 07:44 PM
Stadiums look better...players do not. It almost feels like they put the PS3 players into PS4 stadiums. Still buying the game of course but people saying it's a "huge" difference are exaggerating.

# 28 merchant1874 @ 04/09/14 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
Stadiums look better...players do not. It almost feels like they put the PS3 players into PS4 stadiums. Still buying the game of course but people saying it's a "huge" difference are exaggerating.
Pretty much agree with this.

The stadiums, lighting and coulours are beautiful.

The player models, uniforms look very very similar. The lighting improves them somewhat though.
I was hoping to see some nice twill/dazzle textures for the uniform scripts ala 2K.

Im glad the devs have addressed the models though both here and gaf.

# 29 Hockeynut99 @ 04/09/14 08:22 PM
Quote:
The real looking hair will make a big difference in my opinion.

# 30 beedl001 @ 04/09/14 08:25 PM
I thought the colors in the PS4 were much brighter and not as washed out as the PS3. The colors, especially in the background and the grass looked much more vibrant.

# 31 strawberryshortcake @ 04/09/14 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick32093209
The difference is REALLY apparent during night games. But I agree. SCEA maybe backing themselves into a corner….WHERE DO THEY GO FROM HERE!!!

I can think of just a few things

1. Fixing online play
2. Cursor hitting
3. more varied swing animations
4. Realtalk post game interviews (like NBA 2K14)
5. Improved trade logic..with user ability to override or confirm any CPU-CPU trades
6. Manager challenges and replay
7. The Show button (allows for fancy fielding play when you hit it i.e. bare hand grab, back hand flip etc)
8. Manager arguments and ejections

none of those things with the exception on #1 is critical. Everything else is not that big of a deal. Name another sports game that only has maybe 1 major and only 7 other minor fixes to make it perfect.

Btw…they probably could add all those things within the next two versions. MLB The Show 16 PS4 might be the perfect baseball game.

There are a few things that are impossible….like naming the players in the minors. Using real life umpires names with their real life tendencies.
Lighting is definitely an improvement, especially at night. That is drastically noticeable. Definitely grateful for having a solid baseball title.

But "Where do they go from here?" Animations. More realistic animations, individual behaviors, signatures, and player models (and, catcher's gear fit). Focus on the speed of player movement and the way the players move. It's not really so much about adding "more and more and more" animation, but it's "how" it's animated that would be key to increased realism. The team could add in 100,000 more animations but if the animations looks off, it throws the immersion factor out.

Let's put it this way: It seems like the "animation" is playing catchup to the photorealistic "lighting." There's a certain disconnect that still remains. The game can have beautiful screenshots, but when even a slight body movement is off, that causes an immediate disconnect.

I think a major part of the problem stems from the fact that "in studio motion capture sessions" has a drastically different "look" to it than real life game motion. The "adrenaline" rush differs. Body language differs. I'm guessing it's a more "calming" experience for the actor doing motion capture compared to a major league baseball player doing his job on the field during game time. The director can tell the actor what to do, but MLB player simply reacts to the game during a game.

Hopefully the next few installments will fix the animation concerns.

Side Note:
(A) I really wish they would eliminate the zoomed in camera angle showing the 3rd/1st base umpire on appeal immediately after the batter check swings. I would like to see the camera pulled back more, so the fans, the 3rd base coach, whoever is on 3rd and the defensive 3rd baseman is visible. The zoomed in camera angle actually takes the immersion out.

(B) Pitchers' follow through. Unless there is an option in the game, the default animation "pitch motion/arm speed/ball release" seems to be on the slower side of things.

Quote:
I have pretty much some of the same sentiment.

# 32 RoyalBoyle78 @ 04/09/14 08:58 PM
Umm, yeah there is no comparison lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 33 Curahee @ 04/09/14 09:37 PM
Im still trippin on that nighttime lighting!

# 34 Brooklynnets24 @ 04/09/14 10:45 PM
Only thing that has impressed me are the sharper colors and the lighting at night...

# 35 Madden's Jowels @ 04/10/14 12:16 AM
If you're going to make a comparison video you have to show the PS4 version in 1080p and 60fps. We know the PS3 version is 720p and 30fps which is exactly what this video renders in. Not fair at all to the PS4.

Look at the "The Cathedrals Are Better" video. Yeah it's compressed and only 30fps, but it's at least in 1080p and looks MILES better than this video.

# 36 Blzer @ 04/10/14 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
If you're going to make a comparison video you have to show the PS4 version in 1080p and 60fps. We know the PS3 version is 720p and 30fps which is exactly what this video renders in. Not fair at all to the PS4.
Wait a minute. "Not fair to the PS4"?

Am I the only one who sees that the PS3 version looks like it's in 240p? Not that it really is, but are people only seeing the comparison and not seeing how blurry that one is?

Now remember, YouTube compresses everything (including the PS4 footage), but my gameplay videos are significantly sharper than that PS3 footage.

# 37 HustlinOwl @ 04/10/14 11:02 AM
dude at :42 second mark go up the stairs already lmao

# 38 Pezell04x @ 04/10/14 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
dude at :42 second mark go up the stairs already lmao
Maybe he just has really small feet, lol

# 39 mjarz02 @ 04/10/14 12:50 PM
The show was one of the big deciding factors between the xbox one and ps4. I was open to make the conversion from sony to Microsoft. However, the price point and the fact there is no baseball game made buying a ps4 an easy choice. Can't wait for this and ufc.

# 40 Madden's Jowels @ 04/10/14 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Wait a minute. "Not fair to the PS4"?

Am I the only one who sees that the PS3 version looks like it's in 240p? Not that it really is, but are people only seeing the comparison and not seeing how blurry that one is?

Now remember, YouTube compresses everything (including the PS4 footage), but my gameplay videos are significantly sharper than that PS3 footage.
Did you set the youtube player to play in 720p? I think it defaults to 360p or something.

Anyways, my point was that the "comparison" video does not do the PS4 version justice at all, it's forcing it to come down to the PS3's level if you know what I mean. 720p and 30fps instantly ruins most of the graphical "leap" that we know is there.

A person from another board I visit posted that video and said "I was going to buy a PS4 just for The Show but after seeing this video, it looks like it's just a crappy port with slightly upgraded lighting and the same animations they've had for the past 4 years." And based off that video alone I can't blame him. Because it's a bad video for comparison. I posted the "The Cathedrals Are Better" video which is at least in 1080p and looks a million times better than that comparison video to try and show him how much better the game actually looks.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.