Home
The Golf Club News Post

The PC version of The Golf Club is available now on steam for $29.99, during their early access promotion. On April 24th, the game will be $34.99. Still no word on official release dates for Xbox One or PS4.

There are plenty of impressions of the beta here, thanks to bluengold34_OS, but play a few rounds for yourself and post your impressions.

Read the full press release below.

Highly Realistic Golf Simulation Game - The Golf Club - Tees off Today on Steam Early Access

HB Studios Simulation, Complete with Course Creator and Social Features, Now Available on Steam Early Access for PC

Canadian video game developer, HB Studios, today announced its next generation golf simulation, The Golf Club, is now available on Steam Early Access for PC. The Golf Club features pre-designed courses as well as a Course Creator that allows players to build brand new courses and share them online within seconds. The Golf Club Early Access is available for $29.99, discounted from $34.99 for 7 days. Scheduled to launch on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One soon, The Golf Club will redefine the genre across both console and PC platforms. For more information, including a host of instructional videos, please visit the official website here.

“With a heritage deeply rooted in building some of the most fun, intuitive and critically successful sport franchises on the EA Sports label, HB Studios are now excited to roll out the first phase of The Golf Club,” said Jeremy Wellard, President of HB Studios. “With integrated social features, a massive online multiplayer mode and a Course Creator that will provide players with endless challenges, avid golfers and gamers can now access The Golf Club on Steam Early Access.”

The Golf Club is designed for 1 - 4 players locally, (from single player to 4-player sofa play), or in an asynchronous online multiplayer mode that allows players to compete against “live balls” and “ghost balls” from other players. Early Access of The Golf Club comes complete with three modes: stroke play, match play and 4-ball, and no loading times between holes.

The Course Creator allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme (Rural, Alpine or Autumn), terrain features, number of holes and difficulty. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new The Golf Club members through the Message Center.

Additional social features enable players to challenge friends and attempt to beat high scores and best their own highest recorded rounds. Add to this a myriad of statistic tracking tools, notifications, challenges and much more, and you have a golf club truly worth joining. The Golf Club was developed with the Unity games development platform.

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 41 SlyBelle @ 04/19/14 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoMyers
I believe the devs are looking to add in vs mode with each golfer before release. We definitely need more graphics options. Wonder if there is a cfg file to tweak some settings.

What controller is everyone using? I have tried both a wired with USB PS4 controller and my wired 360 controller.
Thanks, really hoping they do put that in for multiplayer or otherwise a little disappointing.

As for controller, I am using wired XBOX controller....seems to work ok, although really have to figure out all the right swings for distance and power.

# 42 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBaldwin
OMG. There's a name(SmokinJo) I haven't heard since The Course Depot days.
Yeah Neal, and he ain't changed a lick since then. He's still the same ol' crusty, politically incorrect SmokinJo he always was Son of a gun knows how to design and build a cyber golf course though!

# 43 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 08:00 AM
Quote:
I believe the devs are looking to add in vs mode with each golfer before release. We definitely need more graphics options. Wonder if there is a cfg file to tweak some settings.
HBS will be adding more themes and objects over time. It will be an incremental process. They've already added objects since Build 4 of the beta to the Early Access version. They're not resting on their laurels, for sure.

Quote:
What controller is everyone using? I have tried both a wired with USB PS4 controller and my wired 360 controller.
My XBox 360 Silver Edition Wireless controller is working flawlessly with this game. I can't imagine how it could get any better than that on a PC.

# 44 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
Hello, does anyone know how multiplayer is planned to work?

Right now when a friend and I try to play, appears we can only play in ghost ball mode, meaning we are both on the same course together but we just see the ghost images of our shots and we end up on different holes playing.
You have to be careful about syncing your play. What I found in playing "live" with a friend is that the game will quickly call your live playing companion's ball a "ghost" ball over anything that breaks the status as it was when you connected on the same hole. We both connected on the first hole, but he'd already hit his tee shot. The game then dubbed him a "Ghost" ball at some point, even though we continued to play together live. It would have helped to have had some voice comms, but I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't know what's available if it's not in the game itself.

I think you could do "live" play in this game using just the balls and markers, but you'll probably have to agree to use the order of play rules of golf (whoever is away goes first) to do it right. This will require some communication since it's not always readily apparent what the status of your playing companion(s) is/are.

Quote:
Is there not a way for us to ensure we are playing the same hole and actually watch each of our golfer's take each shot? If that is not included right now, does anyone know if will be included in the final version? Seems like an odd feature not to have in a multi-player golf game.
I have emphasized with the developers over and over again during the beta that they need to figure out how to govern the ghost ball and possibly the live ball play by the order of play rules of golf. It would make sooo much more sense if the game wouldn't let you play your shot until the away opponent had played theirs. You could still be setting up an aiming your shot while they're doing the same with theirs, it just would allow you to hit the ball until it was your turn by the order of play.

There could be problems with this during live play where a player disconnects or sits idle for an inexplicable amount of time. I guess they could have provisions for both of those once a disconnect is sensed, or the live player knows his companion needs a break. I'm just thinking of those who would intentionally stall, trying to get their opponent to quit out of boredom.

Eventually, I'm pretty sure the devs have plans for having what we know as pure turn based live play, featuring customizable, animated golfers. It just wasn't, for various reasons, a priority out of the gate.

# 45 SlyBelle @ 04/19/14 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
You have to be careful about syncing your play. What I found in playing "live" with a friend is that the game will quickly call your live playing companion's ball a "ghost" ball over anything that breaks the status as it was when you connected on the same hole. We both connected on the first hole, but he'd already hit his tee shot. The game then dubbed him a "Ghost" ball at some point, even though we continued to play together live. It would have helped to have had some voice comms, but I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't know what's available if it's not in the game itself.

I think you could do "live" play in this game using just the balls and markers, but you'll probably have to agree to use the order of play rules of golf (whoever is away goes first) to do it right. This will require some communication since it's not always readily apparent what the status of your playing companion(s) is/are.

I have emphasized with the developers over and over again during the beta that they need to figure out how to govern the ghost ball and possibly the live ball play by the order of play rules of golf. It would make sooo much more sense if the game wouldn't let you play your shot until the away opponent had played theirs. You could still be setting up an aiming your shot while they're doing the same with theirs, it just would allow you to hit the ball until it was your turn by the order of play.

There could be problems with this during live play where a player disconnects or sits idle for an inexplicable amount of time. I guess they could have provisions for both of those once a disconnect is sensed, or the live player knows his companion needs a break. I'm just thinking of those who would intentionally stall, trying to get their opponent to quit out of boredom.

Eventually, I'm pretty sure the devs have plans for having what we know as pure turn based live play, featuring customizable, animated golfers. It just wasn't, for various reasons, a priority out of the gate.
Thanks for all the details.....just confuses me as to what this game is trying to be then. It really doesn't have good single player mode (except for playing a casual round, doesn't have AI golfers or single player tour to best of my knowledge) and appears to be lacking in basic multiplayer functions......on the surface it appears geared towards multiplayer and social, but without things like this, seems to fall short.

# 46 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
Thanks for all the details.....just confuses me as to what this game is trying to be then.
Once they get the individual tournaments and the ongoing Tours working, things will begin to take more shape. I think that will define the game until they get traditional turn-based play working. The Social menu only has the ability to select whether you see the ghost round scores of others while you're selecting them presently. There will be a lot more there later on that will help with the communication and arranging of online play.

I honestly think this game got released a little bit early for "Early Access", knowing what their plans were for the release version and that's why people are a bit up in arms over it. I hope it doesn't backfire on them and sour public opinion on the game before it really is "ready for prime time".

# 47 SlyBelle @ 04/19/14 08:51 AM
Quote:
Once they get the individual tournaments and the ongoing Tours working, things will begin to take more shape. I think that will define the game until they get traditional turn-based play working. The Social menu only has the ability to select whether you see the ghost round scores of others while you're selecting them presently. There will be a lot more there later on that will help with the communication and arranging of online play.

I honestly think this game got released a little bit early for "Early Access", knowing what their plans were for the release version and that's why people are a bit up in arms over it. I hope it doesn't backfire on them and sour public opinion on the game before it really is "ready for prime time".
Thanks...I am ok with early access and have set my expectations as such....they key will be as to what makes it into the actual release...if these items and other things are included in the actual release, I think everything will be fine. But if not, then I would be a little disappointed....I don't need it all right now, just have to know it is coming

# 48 MachoMyers @ 04/19/14 08:52 AM
Everybody be sure to add....everybody on Steam. I only see Skyboxer's scores when I play (and he destroys me).

I'm MachoM [OS]

# 49 Cod @ 04/19/14 09:06 AM
I'm planning to get the game when I get home from work. Y'all feel free to add me (Chicken Dipper [OS]) if you haven't already...especially if you want your scores to look good since I suck at golf games.

# 50 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 11:20 AM
Quote:
Everybody be sure to add....everybody on Steam. I only see Skyboxer's scores when I play (and he destroys me).

I'm MachoM [OS]
Good idea! I'm JohnRC on Steam.

# 51 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/19/14 11:53 AM
Quote:

I'm MachoM [OS]
Aren't we friends? You not MachoMan (OS) I Was talking to? lol

TheBleedingRed21 is my steam! Add Me!

# 52 MachoMyers @ 04/19/14 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Aren't we friends? You not MachoMan (OS) I Was talking to? lol

TheBleedingRed21 is my steam! Add Me!
It never says any OSers have played any courses? I've played all the official ones and no ones score comes up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Also I did a bit of testing and it is definitely true that the user created courses run a lot better than the official ones. I was lagging pretty badly on low but now running medium fine.

# 53 MERACE @ 04/19/14 12:49 PM
Quote:
I agree, especially with adding mouse swing support in an unrefined state. The outcry from alot of PC gamers not wanting to use a gamepad controller I think forced them into hastily including mouse swing support which was probably not in their original design "pillars".

I also feel that the minimum PC specs are not realistic and should be increased. My laptop computer barely complies with the minimum specs so I'm having to run it on low settings with 16-20 fps with my scores suffering (They are, however, still optimizing the game).

My purchase of the Early Access version of TGC is primarily for the purpose of creating courses which I will be able to play on my PS4 when the console versions are released.

-MERACE

# 54 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/19/14 01:44 PM
I think I found out how to transfer courses from PC to PC, possibly meaning we can have 3-4 peoeple working on 1 course!!

# 55 Garrett67 @ 04/19/14 02:05 PM
Is there an OS group on Steam?

# 56 TheBleedingRed21 @ 04/19/14 02:41 PM
Unity, but I believe they said something about a customized version or something.

And yes Garrett, there is!

# 57 Cod @ 04/19/14 03:55 PM
Like TBR21 said, we do have a Steam group. Also, we have our own thread on the OS forums. Check them out!

Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/operationsports
OS thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ng-thread.html

# 58 Triggerfish @ 04/19/14 04:54 PM
there is only a 9 hole available to play correct? thanks in advance!!!!

# 59 SinisterAlex @ 04/19/14 04:58 PM
I've been resisting the urge to buy this game. I really want to wait until the console versions come out.

# 60 OnlookerDelay @ 04/19/14 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish
there is only a 9 hole available to play correct? thanks in advance!!!!
No, this is the full game... at least full in its current state. There are now already more 9 aan 18 hole courses than I can count! Just remember, this isn't the final "release" version of the game. A lot of its features are shown in the menu as "Coming Soon".

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.