Home
News Post

If you don't think the MVP award means something to Kevin Durant -- you haven't watched his acceptance speech.

K-D played nearly forty minutes per game during the regular season while averaging 32 points, 7.4 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game. So far in the playoffs he's only sitting an average three minutes per game while scoring 29 per game and improving his rebounding numbers. Needless to say, he's a star in all circumstances.

The small amount of votes that didn't go to Durant were cast for the The King, LeBron James. While Durant's incredible year and the regular season success of the Thunder made him the obvious choice, some feel that James is the best all-around player -- which opens up the "Define the MVP" discussion once again.

Sound Off: Is Durant the best player in basketball or simply the most valuable?

Game: NBAReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 LingeringRegime @ 05/08/14 09:16 AM
Most Valuable.

# 2 soonermagic88 @ 05/08/14 10:27 AM
Most Valuable. KD was more Valuable to the Thunder's success than any other player to his respective team.
If the award was "Best Player in the League", then yea, Lebron should probably win, but its not.

# 3 da ThRONe @ 05/08/14 10:51 AM
Neither. He had a great season and the MVP award should be given based on the season not the career. However he's not better or more valuable to the league or his team than LeBron.

# 4 Kodii Rockets @ 05/08/14 11:05 AM
It's the same as the argument when Jordan was playing, was any player in that era more valuable to his team than him? I highly doubt it. But giving him the award every year would be ridiculous. Congrats KD

# 5 Meechyaboy @ 05/08/14 11:51 AM
Kd deserves the award this year he did more than lebron this year to attain the award.. Although he still isn't better than lebron he is closing the gap pretty fast...

# 6 MattUM @ 05/08/14 02:17 PM
The soccer fan in me says that the most valuable player is the best player in the world. The player who would demand the highest transfer fee is the best player, so they are inherently the same because this gives him the highest value. Lebron would get my vote.

# 7 Gramps91 @ 05/08/14 03:28 PM
I still think LeBron is better but KD had a great year and I'm totally satisfied with him winning it.

# 8 Jasong7777 @ 05/08/14 03:40 PM
Lebron is better, but not by much.

# 9 ojandpizza @ 05/08/14 04:03 PM
I really don't think the gap between them is very close. I still think LeBron is far and away better, he's just so refined in so many areas. And he just has that natural vision to his game. But I don't believe the award should just go to the best player every year, I think KD was easily deserving of winning it this year.

But the award will always have controversy. With it being "most valuable to team succeeds" hell in some instances a role player or the coach can arguably be more valuable than the teams star. This award will never go without controversy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 10 a walrus @ 05/08/14 04:54 PM
Hmmm..it could have gone either way this year. I think you have to consider how absurdly weak the east was this year. All season long their was about 2 teams that could compete against the heat. It's tuffer out west , Durant deserved it this year. He also plays for a coach who doesn’t want to or no how to implement an offensive structure. He also runs with one of the most selfish point guards of all time. I think when it's all said and done , this will be a much closer argument then the one people have with MJ and Kobe or MJ and anybody else.

# 11 Syce @ 05/08/14 05:53 PM
ya lebron is better IMO. durant is really just a sniper shooter. the problem is, he tends to fold under pressure. like his playoffs so far, while having some good games not all of them have been that stellar, heck he had a game against grizzlies where he only put up 15 points.

# 12 dsallupinyaarea @ 05/08/14 05:58 PM
Lebron is the overall better player, but this wasn't a "voter fatigue" MVP. Lebron was on cruise control for a good portion of the year and KD had a better season. The whole "most valuable" thing is nonsense to me. It should always go to the guy that's having the best season because, by definition, he is the most valuable.

# 13 KingV2k3 @ 05/08/14 06:00 PM
Well, the "Durant versus Lebron" debate certainly turned out to be more substantial than the "Durant versus Oden" one, now didn't it?

Congrats to a deserving and classy candidate...

Here's the list:

http://www.landofbasketball.com/awar..._mvps_year.htm

Bird was the last guy to win it three times in a row...it's most often a two-fer and then they mix it up...

Fine by me...

# 14 BringTheHeat @ 05/08/14 07:40 PM
Voter fatigue played a role in this one. KD played great and for sure carried the Thunder in WB's absence...however even on a "down year" for LeBron he still put up highly efficient numbers that are rarely seen. When you compare the Thunder to the Heart..Sure we have 2 Hall of Famers and another fringe Hall of Famer, but LeBron just impacts and controls each and every game in multiple ways. IMO he should probably be on his 6th straight if it truly meant most valuable.

# 15 mlp111 @ 05/09/14 03:48 PM
Pound for pound, Lebron is the best player in the NBA period..... Fundamentally, Kevin durant is the best player in NBA period.. Just my opinion.

# 16 mlp111 @ 05/09/14 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
ya lebron is better IMO. durant is really just a sniper shooter. the problem is, he tends to fold under pressure. like his playoffs so far, while having some good games not all of them have been that stellar, heck he had a game against grizzlies where he only put up 15 points.
I wouldnt say KD is folding in playoffs... More like his team isnt showing up. thunder need a solid center. If you say KD folded, then you must say the same about lebron when he was on Cavs, hands down MVP during regular season, but in playoffs.. folded as well

# 17 MattUM @ 05/09/14 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp111
I wouldnt say KD is folding in playoffs... More like his team isnt showing up. thunder need a solid center. If you say KD folded, then you must say the same about lebron when he was on Cavs, hands down MVP during regular season, but in playoffs.. folded as well
How can you mention the Cavs in the same sentence as the Thunder who also have Westbrook, Ibaka, a solid bench, and lots of veterans?

NBA finals years:

2011-2012 Thunder starting 5:
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka
Kendrick Perkins

2006-2007 Cavs starting 5:
Larry Hughes
Sasha Pavlovic
Lebron James
Drew Gooden
Zydrunas Ilgauskas

# 18 ClutchCity @ 05/12/14 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUM
How can you mention the Cavs in the same sentence as the Thunder who also have Westbrook, Ibaka, a solid bench, and lots of veterans?

NBA finals years:

2011-2012 Thunder starting 5:
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka
Kendrick Perkins

2006-2007 Cavs starting 5:
Larry Hughes
Sasha Pavlovic
Lebron James
Drew Gooden
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Ibaka wasn't as good as he was right now. James Harden did not start. Neither did Sasha Pattycake. Thought it was Daniel Gibson or Eric Snow. I like the comparison, and yes Thunder had a better team than 06-07 Cavs. But they also played against a team that had no excuse for not winning a championship that time. IMO.

Btw Cavs had veterans on that team also, Big Z Donyell Marshell, Eric Snow, David Wesley. Even had talent that was developing Varejo and Shannon Brown who didn't get too see much time on the floor. I see nothings changed here with Durant not getting the credit he deserves by some of you guys.

# 19 MattUM @ 05/13/14 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCity
Ibaka wasn't as good as he was right now. James Harden did not start. Neither did Sasha Pattycake. Thought it was Daniel Gibson or Eric Snow. I like the comparison, and yes Thunder had a better team than 06-07 Cavs. But they also played against a team that had no excuse for not winning a championship that time. IMO.

Btw Cavs had veterans on that team also, Big Z Donyell Marshell, Eric Snow, David Wesley. Even had talent that was developing Varejo and Shannon Brown who didn't get too see much time on the floor. I see nothings changed here with Durant not getting the credit he deserves by some of you guys.
The stats tell a different story.

# 20 Streaky McFloorburn @ 05/14/14 01:28 AM
This isn't meant as an argument ender, but statistically speaking; KD was clearly the most valuable player in the NBA during the 2013-14 season. I still believe LeBron is the better all-around player in terms of ability though.

Win Shares
1. Kevin Durant-OKC 19.2
2. LeBron James-MIA 15.9
3. Kevin Love-MIN 14.3
4. Stephen Curry-GSW 13.4
5. James Harden-HOU 12.8
Win Shares Per 48 Minutes
1. Kevin Durant-OKC .295
2. Chris Paul-LAC .270
3. LeBron James-MIA .264
4. Kevin Love-MIN .245
5. Stephen Curry-GSW .225

Player Efficiency Rating
1. Kevin Durant-OKC 29.8
2. LeBron James-MIA 29.3
3. Kevin Love-MIN 26.9
4. Anthony Davis-NOP 26.5
5. DeMarcus Cousins-SAC 26.1

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.