Home
News Post

Steve Kerr was a solid NBA player with a nice touch from beyond the arc.

The distance from California to New York, however, was a little beyond his range -- as the former teammate of Michael Jordan and current TNT analyst has turned down his former coach (Phil Jackson) and will accept the head coaching position for Golden State.

According to ESPN.com: Quote:
"They have a good young team. The location is ideal," Kerr said in a phone interview with NBA.com on Wednesday night. "My daughter goes to Cal and plays volleyball. My oldest son is in college in San Diego and our youngest is a junior in high school. It's just a short flight for them."

Sound Off: Did Steve Kerr make a mistake by turning down an opportunity to coach the New York Knicks?

Sports Headlines for May 15, 2014

Game: NBAReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 fluent2332 @ 05/15/14 02:59 PM
I think Kerr will make an excellent coach and the Knicks blew the opportunity to sign him by not giving him the type of deal he was looking for.

# 2 KingTocco @ 05/15/14 03:00 PM
I think he will be good for the Warriors. It must be mentioned that the Warriors players LOVED Mark Jackson. I think for them to bring in another first year, highly respected guy might help mitigate some of the frustrations of the players.

I also think this was the right decision for Kerr. I think he genuinely was interested in the Knicks job but one cannot stress enough how important location and family factor in to a career move. I think the Knicks franchise is very messy right now with no real immediate success.

There is no doubt the Warriors have the better team, and with his existing relationship with the Joe Lacob and Rick Welts, this is a no brainer.

# 3 scottyo60 @ 05/15/14 06:12 PM
No sane coach should take the Knicks job till the bad contracts are gone or close to gone

# 4 KSOR24 @ 05/15/14 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
No sane coach should take the Knicks job till the bad contracts are gone or close to gone
They are close to gone.

# 5 Da-Man @ 05/15/14 07:08 PM
Does this mean he wont be in nba 2k15 and beyond?

# 6 DJ_Solis @ 05/15/14 09:47 PM
I have a good feeling of Kerr becoming a good coach. Always loved hearing him do commentary. Really smart basketball mind and I think he'll gain the respect of the team quickly. As long as the ISO play is cut down, he'll be an immediate upgrade over Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 7 ProfessaPackMan @ 05/15/14 09:54 PM
There's nothing wrong with ISO play(is it really a play when you tell people to get out of the way? Lol)it's WHEN they run it, is when it's a mistake.

# 8 DJ_Solis @ 05/15/14 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
There's nothing wrong with ISO play(is it really a play when you tell people to get out of the way? Lol)it's WHEN they run it, is when it's a mistake.

You don't think it's important who is doing the ISO or how often they turn to it? When the second unit was in, there was no system whatsoever which often resulted in an ISO from HB, Crawford or JO. When, isn't the only problem with isos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 9 ProfessaPackMan @ 05/15/14 10:40 PM
I was speaking in general about it. I'm well aware of the effects of running it as an actual Offense since that's literally all the Nets ran under PJ/Averah.

# 10 LingeringRegime @ 05/16/14 12:28 PM
Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. With that roster I am leaning toward, "he will."

# 11 Gramps91 @ 05/16/14 03:45 PM
I think he has potential but I still strongly disagree with the firing of Mark Jackson. He was great.

# 12 Optik @ 05/16/14 03:55 PM
There are far better (read: actually) qualified coaches out there.

# 13 iLLosophy @ 05/16/14 06:51 PM
I like Kerr as a player and commentatory. But I find it hard to be optimistic about him at GSW with no prior coaching experience. At least with the Knicks, Phil could take him under his wing (similar to Splostra / Pat Riley). I guess the argument could be made for jerry west but i dont remember him coaching very long.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.