Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

Check out the latest EA Sports UFC video featuring a full first round of action in the Octagon with Lightweight champ Anthony Pettis and Featherweight champ Jose Aldo.

What are your initial thoughts after seeing the first real gameplay action from the game?

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 61 bballshawn24 @ 05/21/14 09:14 AM
Awesome pre ordering when i get watch dogs. I hope it has better game modes then ea mma though

# 62 biffsmack @ 05/21/14 10:00 AM
Liked what I saw. Hope Madden looks this good.

# 63 Phobia @ 05/21/14 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
If a guy throws punches at a normal rate, there is no issue with speed. But if he does it at a very high rate, then speed is an issue. This is something Hayes Inc. refuse to consider. Any fighter would be sucking wind with this rate of aggression. They have to penalize it with a heavy blow to stamina if someone decides to throw punch and kicks galore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was the same problem when I went to Fight Night Champion community day. We expressed our concerns on stamina burning to Brian and they tweaked it where it felt fantastic. There was a risk/reward for throwing hell bent looking for a knockout. Throw a multi-punch long combo and your guy would be sucking wind back pedaling trying to recover if he didn't finish his opponent. Then the game released and it was nothing like what we got to play and test in Canada.

Now Brian told us straight up, "its a game and it needs to be fun" so to a extent they don't want to go a "simulation" route. I believe the same carries forward with this combat game under his belt also.

I'll say this, EA MMA looked very similar but that game featured a ton of depth and strategy when playing online (before the button hookers found how to break game). So if people go in knowing it won't be a true simulation but a mix of realism and "gaminess" then I believe they won't set themselves up for being disappointed.

If people go back and watch the fight, notice how they are parrying strikes. Now I know this is not the most realistic thing, but in EA MMA this brought in a strategy element so people would not throw wildly. If you got caught on the button from a parry punch then shut the door you getting KOed. The Aldo guy is the only one really throwing like mad, while the Pettis guy is picking his shots and parrying his attacks. It is how he almost ended the fight early from a parried punch.

I think the strategy elements will be there to slow it down just based on user stick control. Online if I face a kid who runs in throwing nonstop, I can promise I will get many wins from parrying a shot then landing that brutal punch for the KO/TKO.

# 64 bluengold34_OS @ 05/21/14 10:24 AM
Quote:
If someone got into the latest sports car and floored it, lost control and drove off the side of the road, would we say the handling in that car sucked?

Now I'm not saying this is the Ferrari of MMA games, but the user has a lot to do with how it looks like it plays.

HAHA - Dave if I knew of a way to like this more than once, I would do it.

# 65 aholbert32 @ 05/21/14 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This was the same problem when I went to Fight Night Champion community day. We expressed our concerns on stamina burning to Brian and they tweaked it where it felt fantastic. There was a risk/reward for throwing hell bent looking for a knockout. Throw a multi-punch long combo and your guy would be sucking wind back pedaling trying to recover if he didn't finish his opponent. Then the game released and it was nothing like what we got to play and test in Canada.

Now Brian told us straight up, "its a game and it needs to be fun" so to a extent they don't want to go a "simulation" route. I believe the same carries forward with this combat game under his belt also.

I'll say this, EA MMA looked very similar but that game featured a ton of depth and strategy when playing online (before the button hookers found how to break game). So if people go in knowing it won't be a true simulation but a mix of realism and "gaminess" then I believe they won't set themselves up for being disappointed.

If people go back and watch the fight, notice how they are parrying strikes. Now I know this is not the most realistic thing, but in EA MMA this brought in a strategy element so people would not throw wildly. If you got caught on the button from a parry punch then shut the door you getting KOed. The Aldo guy is the only one really throwing like mad, while the Pettis guy is picking his shots and parrying his attacks. It is how he almost ended the fight early from a parried punch.

I think the strategy elements will be there to slow it down just based on user stick control. Online if I face a kid who runs in throwing nonstop, I can promise I will get many wins from parrying a shot then landing that brutal punch for the KO/TKO.
This is why I'm happy to be an old fogie who rarely plays online. I dont have to worry about the exploits. Whether its been the THQ UFC series or EA MMA or Fight Night, Ive always gone online once and realized immediately that its not for me. Too many unrealistic fights. Too many exploits. Too many people only using the top fighters or maxed out CAFs.

The best impression I've read was from Fox Sports.com where the author said he was using Mendes against Aldo (CPU) and that he had trouble hitting Aldo because of the CPU's use of movement and speed. If EA is telling the truth with its "FighterIQ" advertising and CPU fighters fight like they do in real life I will be in heaven. The first person I'm fighting is Machida. If he's counterpunching, throwing a low amount of strikes and moving around...I will be in heaven. If he's coming straight forward and attacking like he has in every other UFC game, I will be the first person to **** on this game.

My expectations are lower than most too. People seem to hate Fight Night Champion but it is the only reason I still have a 360. Through slider tweaks, Im able to make a realistic enough game and thats all I want.

# 66 dghustla @ 05/21/14 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

This is just the kick in the nuts. You can only have fun while throwing 100 punches and 200 kicks per round i guess.

I would be on board with arcadey feel if the grappling just looked better.
Also the two users controlling the fighters did a terrible job of "showcasing" the game as the first reveal.

# 67 bigeastbumrush @ 05/21/14 12:10 PM
If someone wants to spam strikes, fine.

But let their be a penalty for it by allowing us to adjust a fatigue/stamina slider.

There was just way too much action in that one round.

# 68 DaveDQ @ 05/21/14 02:14 PM
I am concerned about stamina, mainly because this is the FN team and they delivered once with a tuner for FNC and the stamina was perfect. Then they quickly tuned it again and it was terrible.

If the fox sports article is an example of what the game will be then vs CPU will be solid. With online, there will always be Johnny spam a lot. But even with FNC, I loved the online, because if you could survive past round 4, it was so fun to pick guys apart that we're just gassed. I hope the same will be true with UFC.

# 69 aholbert32 @ 05/21/14 02:26 PM
Quote:
I am concerned about stamina, mainly because this is the FN team and they delivered once with a tuner for FNC and the stamina was perfect. Then they quickly tuned it again and it was terrible.

If the fox sports article is an example of what the game will be then vs CPU will be solid. With online, there will always be Johnny spam a lot. But even with FNC, I loved the online, because if you could survive past round 4, it was so fun to pick guys apart that we're just gassed. I hope the same will be true with UFC.

One other good thing about EA is that the Fight Night team patched their games....now some of those patches hurt the game but it fixed some things too. I dont think THQ issued one patch for UFC 3.

# 70 godylla @ 05/21/14 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
One other good thing about EA is that the Fight Night team patched their games....now some of those patches hurt the game but it fixed some things too. I dont think THQ issued one patch for UFC 3.
Another good thing about the Fight Night team is that it has been 3 years since they last released a game. That is a lot of time to fine tune the great base that they had for Fight Night/this game.

# 71 fballturkey @ 05/21/14 03:41 PM
I looked at it a couple more times and the escape from side control is fine. It looked weird the first time but looking more closely everything looked right. The cartwheel was still off though.

Online is a mixed bag in all sports games really. It can be great against people who play realistically, or at least don't use blatant exploits, but the exploiters just spoil it so much when they come up. I pretty much only play against people I know (well, people I know will play right, not necessarily that I know personally) and avoid ranked matches since they attract the worst of the exploiters.

# 72 mgoblue @ 05/21/14 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This is why I'm happy to be an old fogie who rarely plays online. I dont have to worry about the exploits. Whether its been the THQ UFC series or EA MMA or Fight Night, Ive always gone online once and realized immediately that its not for me. Too many unrealistic fights. Too many exploits. Too many people only using the top fighters or maxed out CAFs.

The best impression I've read was from Fox Sports.com where the author said he was using Mendes against Aldo (CPU) and that he had trouble hitting Aldo because of the CPU's use of movement and speed. If EA is telling the truth with its "FighterIQ" advertising and CPU fighters fight like they do in real life I will be in heaven. The first person I'm fighting is Machida. If he's counterpunching, throwing a low amount of strikes and moving around...I will be in heaven. If he's coming straight forward and attacking like he has in every other UFC game, I will be the first person to **** on this game.

My expectations are lower than most too. People seem to hate Fight Night Champion but it is the only reason I still have a 360. Through slider tweaks, Im able to make a realistic enough game and thats all I want.
This X 100!

I pretty much only play against the CPU, and I'll pick this up sometime. If they have the AI better than the past then it'll be awesome. I enjoy playing the CPU and the games have done a decent job so far. This seems to be the best from what I read. Fingers Crossed.

That intro looked like it was from a tv broadcast though, at least watching on my PC. They've really come to fight with this version.

# 73 sportsfan8812 @ 05/21/14 08:31 PM
I think everyone is forgetting something when it comes to the gameplay video of Aldo and Pettis. My guess is that this wasn't some CPU vs. CPU but instead, it was two EA Sports workers playing against each other. If that's the case, you have to realize that you are seeing so many kicks and such because that is the way that they are choosing to play the game. When it's you behind the sticks, you can choose to play however you want and throw less kicks or more if that's the way your prefer it.

(Sorry if someone made this point already)

# 74 fballturkey @ 05/21/14 09:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the full commentary package. Haven't they cut down on commentary big time in demos before in sports games to keep the file size smaller?

# 75 aholbert32 @ 05/21/14 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the full commentary package. Haven't they cut down on commentary big time in demos before in sports games to keep the file size smaller?
That wasnt the demo version. The demo is expected to have Pettis v. B. Henderson and Jones v. Gus. The commentary is the way it is because most of it was taken from actual broadcasts. They werent able to get much time with Joe and Goldie so they had to piece together the commentary.

# 76 aholbert32 @ 05/21/14 10:01 PM

Hendo v. Cormier.

# 77 TheShizNo1 @ 05/21/14 10:04 PM
If they have sliders or a simulation setting for stamina, I'll be OK.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

# 78 LingeringRegime @ 05/21/14 10:06 PM
Haha he had no mercy on her. He was mixing it up nicely as well, good to see.

# 79 btrapp @ 05/21/14 11:12 PM
The one thing that bothered me the most is when jose aldo gets floored by pettis, get's up, and continues to fight like nothing happened. The dude should have at least been a little groggy when he got back to his feet. It made the game seem more like tekken or doa than a mma sim.

# 80 horrormaster @ 05/22/14 06:56 AM
looks like another mindless button masher where your goal is to spam as many attacks as possible before your opponent. also, the slam against the cage and how the fighters seem to warp away from it was terrible. I've seen that stuff since the WWF PSX days. 20 years and that stuff is still happening? pathetic.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.