Home
NHL 15 News Post

The first NHL 15 screenshot was released today featuring the San Jose Sharks' Joe Thornton and Scott Hannan.

The company is offering two different deals for customers who pre-order the game. For those who pre-order through Gamestop, you will get $24 in Hockey Ultimate Team content, or 24 HUT Gold Packs. If you pre-order from other retailers, you get $15 in HUT content, or 15 gold packs. Each deal will net gamers one gold pack per week until their deal expires.

What do you think?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 giantsharks @ 06/02/14 04:56 PM

This is a decent side view of jumbo and it doesnt really look like him but without seeing him head on its tough to say. Wish we could see hannan better, he looks like a gorilla back there

# 22 drog1602 @ 06/02/14 05:27 PM
Maybe they thought it was Billy Bob Thornton on the Sharks?

# 23 adayinthelife @ 06/02/14 05:34 PM
I'm pretty underwhelmed by this vs. sports titles we've already got out in the wild for PS4/Xbone, to be honest. Hopefully the faces will be better than this sample overall. Still absolutely can't wait to see what it looks like in action though.

# 24 anthonyf105 @ 06/02/14 05:41 PM
I'm going to be careful with this; remember the initial screenshots of Madden 25 for next-gen. It would be nice if we saw the actual screen of the game EA and not just a separate upgraded rendered one.

# 25 Shaffer26 @ 06/02/14 05:48 PM
Impressed, but EA has bamboozled me before. I'll wait for some video.

# 26 johnnyg713 @ 06/02/14 05:59 PM
Cant get much better than that. Hopefully it looks as good in motion. No face paint in the crowd? Come on guys...

# 27 carvis#15 @ 06/02/14 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Looks fine, and maybe I'm blind but that looks like Thorton to me. Crowd looks nice too. Bring on gameplay videos.

Shesh even QQ about preorder bonuses. OS never ceases to amaze me anymore.
Naw not blind. That looks like him. He looks a little different without the beard.

# 28 elgreazy1 @ 06/02/14 06:29 PM
Amazing detail. Hopefully the gameplay picks up right where NHL14 left it.

# 29 Novicain13 @ 06/02/14 06:33 PM
Nice image but there is no nameplate on the jersey

# 30 snowblind89 @ 06/02/14 07:35 PM
I can't believe that this was the screenshot EA decided to release. Starting with Jumbo's face, it looks absolutely nothing like him. Why did they not use the most detailed facial model they had? In addition, was it too much to ask to have Hannan visible in the shot as well? I'm guessing his facial model is even less impressive. no nameplate on the San Jose jerseys? It's in the game...EA. Why are there 4 people sitting within 10 feet of each other with full face paint on? Also, spoiler alert- nobody in Phoenix wears Winnipeg Jets jerseys, let alone those attending a road game in San Jose. It blows my mind how EA can get half of things so right (almost everything in the trailer looked great- CG or not) and yet there are just glaring errors everywhere that would take no time at all to fix. It's a lazy job by the developers considering how much new tech they have at their disposal, and still the small details continue to plague something as simple and important to fans of the game as a single screenshot release.

Here's a similar picture from Coyotes @ Sharks from early in the 13-14 regular season:

Notice how almost nobody is wearing Coyotes jerseys, especially in a such a common seating location for season ticket holders. NOBODY is wearing a Jets jersey. NOBODY is wearing full face paint. Why EA insists on spending time and resources developing things that just do not exist is beyond me. This is a tiny, tiny sample.

I love the NHL series, I own every single title since NHL '94 on the Genesis and I'm as optimistic for NHL 15 as everyone else. It's just confusing to me to see such laziness and ignorance on the part of people who are privileged enough to get to make these games for a living, and write their names on the product they put out when it could be exponentially better with minimal additional time and effort.

# 31 infernoisdead @ 06/02/14 07:39 PM
Kind of a small detail, but I love that numbers on the back of the jersey don't look like they are warping to bend with the player, instead the jersey is crumbling to bend with the player. It always irks me when I see numbers stretching or constricting unnaturally with a player

# 32 CaliDude916 @ 06/02/14 10:38 PM
Looks like him to me.

# 33 giantsharks @ 06/02/14 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Unless that real pic is older, I see a glaring uniform omission: the black strip across the shoulders.

(Hate to be "that guy", lol)
dude cmon thats an old picture. I think im being too critical with the way thornton looks without seeing him head on, also he is my absolute favorite player so of course im gonna be more critical. It looks nice but the crowd is a little ridiculous, like everyone else has mentioned. Really there are probably about 10 teams with fans that "travel" well and the coyotes are not one of them.

# 34 bwiggy33 @ 06/02/14 11:23 PM
I'm really hoping this is a very early screen shot. The lack of nameplate on Thornton's jersey is almost inexcusable unless this is an early picture. I'm assuming it is because if you look at the other next gen sports games, their first versions had many glaring issues that just showed it was an early build. That is just something so glaring that you'd think it will make it's way into the game.

To me the screen does look like Thornton. I think if he had a bigger beard that would represent him better, but he did go beardless/stubble for a good amount of this year. I agree with people though, what is EA doing with those Yotes fans? First of all the Yotes hardly get fans at their home games, so I don't know why on earth they'd put that many in the stands for a road game.

Honestly I'm more concerned about the Preorder bonuses. It just shows once again that EA is pushing online play. I don't think the tables have turned to offline at all. That's what has me scared. The NHL series has been so bad for however many straight years, that as long as this game finally represents the game of hockey in the light it should be in, no nameplates or really small details will turn me away. Plus I honestly can't imagine nameplates not being put in. That'd just be inexcusable, even for an EA game.

# 35 bwiggy33 @ 06/02/14 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I did catch playoff hockey but didn't study the uniforms.
The Sharks got new home J's this year. That real life pic of Thornton was prior to this season.

# 36 RoyalBoyle78 @ 06/02/14 11:33 PM
Oh my, oh my, can't wait

Xperia z1s

# 37 bwiggy33 @ 06/03/14 12:08 AM
Quote:
It's the same preorder bonus as last year pretty much. Would people rather no preorder bonus at all? I swear some of the things people chose to complain about really blows my mind. And I've no doubt if there was a different letter/number combination of the front of the box under publisher, those same total nitpicks wouldn't be made at all.
I'm complaining because offline gets no love and you can easily tell their approach or plan for development by looking at the bonuses. As you even said, it's basically the same bonus they offered last year. In fact it's been that way the past few and it has flat out shown their focus on developing the game has been online. Honestly, I could give a crap if I get a pre-order bonus at all (there's no reason to pre-order IMO), I'm just strictly talking about how they are showing online is their focus yet again. Also they could make a pre-order bonus for Be A GM or Live The Life. They choose not to because it's all a marketing tool to get people to spend more money on their online modes. There's other games out there that do pre-order bonuses for both offline and online modes because those games focus on both areas. I'm not really sure how I'm nitpicking, I'm just making an observation and opinion on the direction of the game based upon the pre-order bonuses.

# 38 actionhank @ 06/03/14 12:32 AM
Quote:
It's the same preorder bonus as last year pretty much. Would people rather no preorder bonus at all? I swear some of the things people chose to complain about really blows my mind. And I've no doubt if there was a different letter/number combination of the front of the box under publisher, those same total nitpicks wouldn't be made at all.
So people can't be displeased with the fact that for roughly the 3 years they've been pushing HUT and giving most of their attention post-release to that?
It gets old seeing EA drag out the same promises of enhanced gameplay, and new features, then spend the rest of the year promoting HUT packs, and HUT highlights, meanwhile in Be A GM mode it still takes an eternity to sim a season, and the puck still bounces 10 feet in the air on dump-ins.

# 39 drog1602 @ 06/03/14 12:35 AM
Here is what is wrong: Thortons eyebrows are too low/ close to his eyes, eyes and nose are not the same. Also the hair color is wrong. What is with the spock ear? The helmet sits differently on his head.

Not the same at all, and I did not even mention lack of beard.

# 40 drog1602 @ 06/03/14 12:59 AM
HUT is what is killing this series and is the sole focus of EA to make more money. Since the introduction of HUT, every of game mode has suffered and is going backwards. Yet, they choose to push HUT card packs throughout the year and ignore the mess with bouncing pucks on dump in?

Yeah, the focus from EA with this series is all wrong. I went from playing this series for 20 years, to boycotting it the last year. Mostly because of the direction the game is headed and thanks to HUT.

Can the afford to lose their hardcore fans? Do they even care if they lose us?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.