Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

It looks like we will finally have tattoos in Madden. Check out the latest Madden NFL 15 screenshot of Colin Kaepernick showing off his ink.

UPDATE: Via @EricFisherSBJ

Quote:
Kaepernick personally secured his own permissions for tattoos in upcoming "Madden." Not sign of broader plan.

NFL doesn't have a contractual ban against tattoos in Madden. Artist permissions have been issue, but Kap got his own.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 kgbrolic @ 06/05/14 12:02 PM
I've never ever in my life heard of tattoos being property of the NFL. Are they really saying that they need permission from the NFL to use tattoos? Like that's a seperate rights issue?

Only EA....

# 122 SageInfinite @ 06/05/14 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
My impression of the still had nothing to do with the tats, so it's still a notable improvement.

But I don't get the explaination of tats not appearing in Madden unless athletes from other sports have been sercuring artists' permission. Seems odd. And why is this the 1st we're hearing of this?
Because it's Tiburon and it's more BS, lol. Them dudes got excuses for everything.

# 123 NDAlum @ 06/05/14 12:10 PM
I don't buy the artist excuse. It's YOUR tattoo on YOUR body...how can somebody have rights over something that is part of you?

# 124 mestevo @ 06/05/14 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I don't buy the artist excuse. It's YOUR tattoo on YOUR body...how can somebody have rights over something that is part of you?
It's not a new thing.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...t-tattoo.shtml

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...attoo-lawsuit/

Haven't read these, running to a meeting:

http://kotaku.com/5961490/thq-gets-tattooed-by-lawsuit

http://setexasrecord.com/arguments/2...to-lots-of-ink

# 125 bad_philanthropy @ 06/05/14 12:29 PM
Quote:
Yes, I can understand how laws protect certain art from buyers reproducing it for personal gain, but tattoos are made part of the body, and therefore are a fundamentally different form of commercial exchange than typical commodities.

There is a difference between reproducing the precise format of someone's work unlawfully, like say, a painting, or a movie, and trying to sell it or represent it as one's own, and being alive with a body that's been tattooed by someone else.

I think if you are in the business of selling a service to alter someone's body you lose the right to retain your intellectual and artistic property as your own. I cannot imagine any legal waiver affording rights of a tattoo artist over another individuals' body. Laughable that there are copyright laws that propose the opposite.

# 126 Eman5805 @ 06/05/14 12:29 PM
Okay, EA. You have my attention. But looking good is only part of the struggle. The animation engine will likely be the same, yes? If that ain't on point...no go for me.

I need players to have weight and tight responsiveness. Not floaty and loose.

# 127 Boltman @ 06/05/14 12:29 PM
Quote:
Maybe there is an article out there in regards to specific legalities to help us understand this better.

Maybe some literature in regards to The Hangover suit for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
Because EA.

The decision on no tatts in game isn't specifically an EA one. I believe it's moreso a conscious one to avoid legal consequences.

This may be something out of EA's hands.

Sent from my GS4 using TT

# 128 jeremym480 @ 06/05/14 12:30 PM
Quote:
What's next? Are players' parents going to start suing EA for using their creations?

# 129 bad_philanthropy @ 06/05/14 12:33 PM
I hope my barber doesn't find out my company used a picture of me in some promotional material in which I was sporting one of their haircuts.

# 130 Cowboy008 @ 06/05/14 12:34 PM
I don't get the thing with the tattoos. How is NBA able to have all those tattoos in their game then?

# 131 Boltman @ 06/05/14 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddyHobbs
But NBA 2K and WWE can do it? Sorry I don't buy it.
You don't have to buy it.

Maybe 2K and WWE have different policies in place regarding this. Maybe they approached the issue differently as to avoid potential legalities.

We don't have all the facts and yet you have contempt prior to investigation.

All I'm saying is we don't know exactly why, maybe with more information we'll have a better understanding.

# 132 MajorSupreme @ 06/05/14 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman

Maybe 2K and WWE have different policies in place regarding this. Maybe they approached the issue differently as to avoid potential legalities.

All I'm saying is we don't know exactly why, maybe with more information we'll have a better understanding.

Better yet, we get to E3, they explain the screenshot as: "Yeah, we gave Kaptain Colin and seven other players tattoos. That's it. That's all we're saying. Moving on." And then we never know. I sure hope they explain.

# 133 roadman @ 06/05/14 12:37 PM
For what's it's worth, taken from the mesteveo THQ article:

And, come to think of it, it's not something any maker of sports video games where real-world athletes and their real-world tats appear. I'm thinking specifically of NBA games. The NBA has a photo day in which every feature of a player's (uniformed) body is photographed up close. I've seen the images. I asked a designer what possible purpose they serve other than to assist video game artists in recreating those tattoos. "Beats me," he shrugged.P

I know that some players' tattoos are missing in NBA 2K13; it's possible this is the reason why. But given the enormous volume of body art in that league, it's almost a certainty someone else is going to pinch a publisher for money down the road.

Sounds like a slippery slope. Remember, EA has been sued by everyone and their brother lately.

Just saying.

Same Question hit a FIFA developer:

Why don't tattooed players have their tattoos in the game? (Stuart Maughan)

It's a long and complicated story but all different reasons, really. Sometimes we don't have permission to use them; there's a bunch of different reasons for that. We actually get emails and messages from the players more than the fans saying, 'Where's my tattoo?' The copyrights around tattoos is really interesting, you'd be surprised."

# 134 biffsmack @ 06/05/14 12:44 PM
I'm calling Bullshot on this till we see gameplay. Remember the RG III shot last year?

# 135 AuburnAlumni @ 06/05/14 12:44 PM
That could have been a shot of Marcus Mariota or Nick Marshall this year.

.......sigh.

# 136 jeremym480 @ 06/05/14 12:45 PM
There's no Fighter Share or Logo/Content Share in EA UFC because of this...

It sucks and I can't say that I even understand it. I mean, 2K can have things like tattoos and the ability to share Draft Classes, but EA cannot?

I agree with Boltman though, it's hard to judge without really knowing the facts... I just hope this doesn't become the norm. I can only imagine watching the world burn if players in NBA 2K15 come out with bare, tattoo-less arms.

# 137 m1ke_nyc @ 06/05/14 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltman

Im with you, for years misinformation was spread by users on this forum about how the NFL banned tattoos and now it turns out people were wrong and some light is being shed, we get guys saying now the reason is that EA is lazy. Like you said we should wait for facts to come out instead of jumping to conclusions and being wrong like most of us were before.

# 138 SageInfinite @ 06/05/14 12:59 PM
It's just so many things EA/Tiburon have said can't be in the game, or aren't possible because of such and such, and then boom magically they're in the game and we get no explanation to how this came to be, so it comes off as BS. I understand marketing and upper management dictates this stuff, but the excuses are just comical at times, and then next year or the year after stuff is in.

# 139 SageInfinite @ 06/05/14 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Im with you, for years misinformation was spread by users on this forum about how the NFL banned tattoos and now it turns out people were wrong and some light is being shed, we get guys saying now the reason is that EA is lazy. Like you said we should wait for facts to come out instead of jumping to conclusions and being wrong like most of us were before.
I could've sworn this came from when EA devs were actually on the site.

# 140 bad_philanthropy @ 06/05/14 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
That could have been a shot of Marcus Mariota or Nick Marshall this year.

.......sigh.
It made me think of NCAA immediately as well, and then I was very sad.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.