Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Polygon's Samit Sarkar interviewed Seann Graddy, line producer of Madden NFL 15 and asked him why tattoos are making their way back to the Madden series and what was the reason for their disappearance.

Many people figured it was a licensing agreement with EA and the NFL, but that is not the case. According to Seann, it comes down to copyright infringement. The player needs to secure permission from the artist first, which Kaepernick did, before EA can even begin to implement the tattoos into the game.

Quote:
For now, Kaepernick is the only player who will appear in Madden 15 with his authentic tattoos, because he's the only one who has obtained the permissions from the artists involved. "We want to do this with every player, frankly, and we're hopeful that more players over time actually go out and secure the rights so that we can use their tattoos as well," said Graddy.

If another players wants his tattoos in the game, they need to go through the same process as Kaepernick. Since the game is almost complete, the odds of getting anyone else in the game with authentic tattoos is slim. We'll most likely see more players with tattoos in Madden NFL 16.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 wallofhate @ 06/05/14 07:48 PM
I never blamed ea on not having tattoos. But it is a little weird to have one play with tats unless the one saving grace is madden does what it did idk how many maddens ago and have their own artwork that you can clutter own biceps and forearms to give half sleeves and sleeves to those who need for those willing to take the time to do so. Screenshot looks great though hopefully it moves just as well

# 82 avwhitechic @ 06/05/14 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Polygon's Samit Sarkar interviewed Seann Graddy, line producer of Madden NFL 15 and asked him why tattoos are making their way back to the Madden series and what was the reason for their disappearance.

Many people figured it was a licensing agreement with EA and the NFL, but that is not the case. According to Seann, it comes down to copyright infringement. The player needs to secure permission from the artist first, which Kaepernick did, before EA can even begin to implement the tattoos into the game.

If another players wants his tattoos in the game, they need to go through the same process as Kaepernick. Since the game is almost complete, the odds of getting anyone else in the game with authentic tattoos is slim. We'll most likely see more players with tattoos in Madden NFL 16.

I call B.S. Once you buy your tattoo it's yours. E.A. Is too lazy to do tattoo's and they are not in the game..rather than take the backlash they feed the community more B.S. and you guys fall for it everytime. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 83 Skyboxer @ 06/05/14 07:53 PM
This thread could be the poster child of why so many of us stay away from the Madden forums.

# 84 SageInfinite @ 06/05/14 07:54 PM
I do put it on the NFL and NFLPA, but cmon, Tiburon doesn't want to do anymore work than it has too, lol. Let's be real here. We know Tiburon doesn't like doing anymore than it's required to do. Love em or hate em, this is the team we have for our NFL game at this time, but don't defend them like they go out for their way to be authentic and represent the NFL the best way. Dudes do what is required and THAT IS IT.

# 85 SageInfinite @ 06/05/14 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
This thread could be the poster child of why so many of us stay away from the Madden forums.
Why?

# 86 Dbrentonbuck @ 06/05/14 08:03 PM
I noticed the guy from EA said CK would be the only one with "authentic" tattoos, but he didn't say he would be the only one with tattoos. I know in some games like WWE, they would put fake tats on some guys who had tats that were copyrighted. Is it possible they would put fake tattoos that look close to the real thing but is actually artwork they own instead?

# 87 Iceman87GT @ 06/05/14 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
So one guy with full sleeves playing with and against 2,000 others who are completely blank won't throw off realism at all for you? to each his own I guess, but it will me. It's not about their specific tattoos either as I'm like you I don't know who has what exactly but I do know that several players have them scattered if I can't recreate that for every player in the game why would I want to for just one?

Like I said earlier think about dreadlocks or skin color even for that matter. Would it look right if one guy has dreads and the other 2,000 don't? or if one guy is blue and the other 2,000 purple? and in no way am I claiming this to be a game breaker on any level. it just doesn't look right to me and I question the decision unless we're able to edit in our own generics obviously.
Kaepernick with no tattoos is more jarring to me than Kaepernick being the only one with tattoos, his tattoos stand out more than any other player, heck I mentioned Crabtree but truth is if he hadn't spent 4 years with the Packers I wouldn't have named him as one of the guys that looks odd without tattoos. I will take one guy wiht tattoos over no tattoos at all becuase the only time I notice tattoos is when its a big time player with significantly visible tattoos, or when they have full/half sleeves and they play for my team.

It was really weird seeing Crabtree with bare skin, mainly because its one of the ways I remembered to differentiate between him and Ryan Taylor (who wears 82, has a similar frame, and was/is used similarly to how Crabtree was used, though Crabtree was used in the passing game more than Taylor ever has been), but then I boot up madden and I forget.

Besides I'm sure if they aren't able to add more in before launch (and if they aren't able to update post finalization of the game), that having Kaepernick with his tattoos properly represented will get even more players on board for doing what he did.

# 88 jvalverde88 @ 06/05/14 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Why?
Because people could post links to a article that explains or shows proof to why certain things can't be in a certain game (in this case Madden) and yet people will ignore it and still blame EA for something that is totally out of their hands.

There are certain things EA should get flak for (old features being touted as new) but this IMO is not one of them.

# 89 roadman @ 06/05/14 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avwhitechic
I call B.S. Once you buy your tattoo it's yours. E.A. Is too lazy to do tattoo's and they are not in the game..rather than take the backlash they feed the community more B.S. and you guys fall for it everytime. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you need to call out FIFA on the BS too.

A developer from FIFA was asked why the tattooed soccer players don't have tattoos in the game and he said, because it's complicated, even the players call this out more than the fans, but a lot of the tattoos are copyrighted.

If it came from just Madden, I'd question it more, but since FIFA said the same thing, either both are lying or both of them are telling the truth.

Probably is somewhere in-between.

# 90 moylan1234 @ 06/05/14 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
Kaepernick with no tattoos is more jarring to me than Kaepernick being the only one with tattoos, his tattoos stand out more than any other player, heck I mentioned Crabtree but truth is if he hadn't spent 4 years with the Packers I wouldn't have named him as one of the guys that looks odd without tattoos. I will take one guy wiht tattoos over no tattoos at all becuase the only time I notice tattoos is when its a big time player with significantly visible tattoos, or when they have full/half sleeves and they play for my team.

It was really weird seeing Crabtree with bare skin, mainly because its one of the ways I remembered to differentiate between him and Ryan Taylor (who wears 82, has a similar frame, and was/is used similarly to how Crabtree was used, though Crabtree was used in the passing game more than Taylor ever has been), but then I boot up madden and I forget.

Besides I'm sure if they aren't able to add more in before launch (and if they aren't able to update post finalization of the game), that having Kaepernick with his tattoos properly represented will get even more players on board for doing what he did.
So you're only looking at this from your own perspective, got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Because people could post links to a article that explains or shows proof to why certain things can't be in a certain game (in this case Madden) and yet people will ignore it and still blame EA for something that is totally out of their hands.

There are certain things EA should get flak for (old features being touted as new) but this IMO is not one of them.
It is not "totally out of their hands" lol it's their game. they can make a decision on whether or not to include tatts based on their ability to include them the right way

# 91 fcb-santana @ 06/05/14 08:16 PM
If I'm a tattoo artist I would see this as an advertising opportunity. And so should EA. I would love to boast that my tattoo design is not only on a player in the NFL, but a major video game as well.

# 92 SmashMan @ 06/05/14 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan
So you're only looking at this from your own perspective, got it.
Well duh, aren't we all doing that? You said what was more distracting to you, and he disagreed.

Quote:
It is not "totally out of their hands" lol it's their game. they can make a decision on whether to include tatts when they know they have no ability to include them the right way
"Sorry that you went and got the rights to your tattoos Colin. We'd love to include them, but unfortunately we need X% of the players to do the same."

# 93 hanzsomehanz @ 06/05/14 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpizzle28
After reading multiple articles it seems to me that Colin went out of his way to do this. He wanted to set the tone. Props to him. As far as the NBA, UFC, and WWE are concerned, those players/athletes market themselves like crazy. Bird-Man had to do the same thing for NBA 2K.

Funny to me that no one noticed they added in the QB play selection band on his arm. Nice!
This is what it is starting to look like and I support his cause albeit it shows how complacent Madden has been that CK7's brand image is now akin to a pioneer or maverick when really this should be the norm by now.

Is it unfitting to say they may be putting the cart before the horse?

For some time now they have suggested that tattoos among other accessories were not in the game for various other reasons and now out of thin air we have one of the most recognizable young stars sporting his own authentic brand of tattoos.

I can only sum this up as poor implementation.

EA could have taken the initiative to inform the NFLPA that they would like them to sign an agreement that releases EA to use a player's authentic branding of tattoos in the game. Who says they didn't? That's, ultimately, what I want to know and I put the onus on them until I know it was the player's own burden and not theirs.

Why would EA, a big marketing machine, not want to market tattoos as a new sizzle in their press releases? Especially as part of the current gaming generation that prides itself on the branding of levels of detail.

*Another scenario to spin: EA approached Colin (huge media icon already publicized for his tats) and requested the neccessary paperwork done from him - they then chose now to be the best time to let the cat out the hat and show "what they have in store"... it would support what Road and others believe as hitting the mark timing wise in terms of the screenshot being released around the time of him "inking" his recent mega contract.

# 94 asu666 @ 06/05/14 08:27 PM
EA looks to have done some nice work. I'd be fine with generic tattoos because I don't know what they look like in detail anyway. Someone could scribble I love EA in small unreadable font on Colin's arms and I wouldn't know the difference. Just come up with something in the ballpark or should I say stadium?

# 95 Jershy88 @ 06/05/14 08:30 PM
So will they have generic tattoos on other players then?

# 96 roadman @ 06/05/14 08:33 PM
The last few years they were in the middle of a lawsuit from a tattoo artist. I wouldn't think they want to risk the NFLPA, the NFL and EA in obtaining waivers until the outcome of the trial. Maybe with the outcome of the trail opened doors for EA that wasn't opened before?

The NBA was sued 6 years ago because Rasheed Wallace turned up in a commercial with a tattoo from an artist that pursued litigation. There has been other litigation with tattoo artist besides the gaming industry, ie The Hangover 2. Maybe EA was trying to be cautious since they been sued and in court over the last several years for millions and millions of dollars.

Seems to me they taking the cautious route, and as Sage has said, probably a bit lazy too. 320 tattoos and the art department is busy with those.(10 per team?)

# 97 moylan1234 @ 06/05/14 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Well duh, aren't we all doing that? You said what was more distracting to you, and he disagreed.
his and few other responses have been, I don't recognize any other tattoos so it doesn't matter to me if they're in the game or not. that's looking at this from a very narrow view in my opinion. Even if I'm not that familiar with other players I recognize that others out there are

Quote:
"Sorry that you went and got the rights to your tattoos Colin. We'd love to include them, but unfortunately we need X% of the players to do the same."
right it's their game they're perfectly well within their rights to do this and I wish they had.

and "went out and got the rights to your tattoos" LOL, he probably sent an email. lets not get so dramatic here

# 98 inkcil @ 06/05/14 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jershy88
So will they have generic tattoos on other players then?
Apparently only Kap will have tattoos.

EA could have put tattoos (albeit generic ones) in the game long ago. And honestly that's what they should have done for this game to compliment the Kap tattoos. Instead they tell us ONE player will have tattoos in the game. ONE. Just ONE.

As a "game feature" this announcement is laughable at best.
As a marketing ploy/gimmick it's downright shrewd as it gets.

I am a sports gamer, not a consumer marketing tactics analyst.

If I had stated a month ago that EA would start to put tattoos in the game but only one player at a time, I would have laughed/ran off these forums.

As a sports gamer I shake my head at Madden, once again.

# 99 Hiro1 @ 06/05/14 08:47 PM

# 100 Dbrentonbuck @ 06/05/14 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Apparently only Kap will have tattoos.

EA could have put tattoos (albeit generic ones) in the game long ago. And honestly that's what they should have done for this game to compliment the Kap tattoos. Instead they tell us ONE player will have tattoos in the game. ONE. Just ONE.

As a "game feature" this announcement is laughable at best.

As a marketing ploy/gimmick it's downright shrewd as it gets.

I am a sports gamer, not a consumer marketing tactics analyst.

As a sports gamer I shake my head at Madden, once again.
But where does it say they aren't doing that? The only thing I saw was them saying CP will be the only one with "authentic" tattoos. But, why would they go out of their way to say "authentic" if their weren't any inauthentic ones? I am just asking.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.