Home
NHL 15 News Post

The first gameplay video of NHL 15 on new-gen consoles has surfaced from E3. Give it a watch and let us know what you think!

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 thegoons21 @ 06/12/14 05:07 AM
Defensive AI at the blueline (and giving up the blueline waay too easy) and penalties are the two bits of AI I'd like too see fixed or improved. If they do that, I'm ok with this being NHL 14 with a fresh set of paint.

# 42 Zuke @ 06/12/14 06:33 AM
^^^^ Ryan Getzlaf is the man.

To me the new NBC presentation not a big deal but looks good and is fresh.

# 43 Splitter77 @ 06/12/14 07:15 AM
short video.

here are my thoughts on it.

-passes connect too much. saw way too many animations of a player receiving a pass from behind the back, not looking. that pass should not connect.
-graphics and crowd look amazing
-puck physics seem alot better
-goalies look the same, with the same rocket scripted rebounds.
-needs more nuetral zone play
- and a pet peeve. i hate how the goalies shovel the puck to keep it alive all the time. There should be a quick auto whistle as soon as the goalie smothers a shot. This game needs more whistles. At least have an option for a quick whistle like that.

# 44 Cletus @ 06/12/14 07:23 AM
So they still haven't fixed wheat the EA cynics here want fixed. This won't end well. There's no reason the goalie should throw the puck out like that. Gaborik can backwards skate through the neutral zone with the AI just skating backwards. I'm sure some Wil enjoy this but it's not for me. I think I will stick to NBA 2K.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

# 45 FSanchez12 @ 06/12/14 08:22 AM
The graphics look fantastic! With that being said, the animations of the players all look the same as they have since NHL 13, including goaltenders falling down trying to make glove saves on shots that aren't even close. The animations just look stale and like older versions. It's too early to tell what else will change though, I'm sure they still have to finish some things.

# 46 jake19ny @ 06/12/14 08:50 AM
Im not going to panic just yet. I remember watching a sneak video from E3 last year of NHL14 and it looked horrible. I suspect its on rookie and Im positive there are no slider adjustments. For all NHL 14s issues it looked and played way better then the version those knuckleheads were playing at E3 last year. It is disappointing to see that people like Gaborik who don't fight still get into fights. Its a lot to wish for but non fighters should just get into the old shoving match that culminates in a crowd of guys getting into the act. followed by a faceoff and maybe the occasional penalty. I know im reaching here.....I do suspect however there will be very little change to gameplay. It seems that EA is going to run with the presentation overhaul as well as small graphical improvements allowed by the next-gen system as their feather in their cap.

# 47 MizzouRah @ 06/12/14 09:04 AM
At least the hitting isn't smash everyone to the ice.

They still have a month to tune and tweak some things.. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

# 48 Pezell04x @ 06/12/14 09:20 AM
My impression is that I hate how red cone plays.

# 49 onac22 @ 06/12/14 09:37 AM
My impression is that I agree with the above. The two gameboys playing had no idea what they were doing.

# 50 drog1602 @ 06/12/14 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
Im not going to panic just yet. I remember watching a sneak video from E3 last year of NHL14 and it looked horrible. I suspect its on rookie and Im positive there are no slider adjustments. For all NHL 14s issues it looked and played way better then the version those knuckleheads were playing at E3 last year. It is disappointing to see that people like Gaborik who don't fight still get into fights. Its a lot to wish for but non fighters should just get into the old shoving match that culminates in a crowd of guys getting into the act. followed by a faceoff and maybe the occasional penalty. I know im reaching here.....I do suspect however there will be very little change to gameplay. It seems that EA is going to run with the presentation overhaul as well as small graphical improvements allowed by the next-gen system as their feather in their cap.
Lol, NHL looked horrible at E3 last year and...when we finally got it, it played horrible as well. The only difference was they removed a feature they had told us would be in the game.

This game they are showing is 99% complete, save for some visual additions and fiddling with the tuning. It will play as we see it here, no doubt in my mind.

# 51 centauris @ 06/12/14 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayenomics
NHL 14 was horrible? News to me. The game was great in my opinion. NHL 15 looked fantastic, but what can we really pull from two minutes? I would have liked to see someone actually try and hit someone in that video.
All OperationSports is, is people hating on sports games.

# 52 Pezell04x @ 06/12/14 11:07 AM
Quote:
NHL 14 was horrible? News to me. The game was great in my opinion. NHL 15 looked fantastic, but what can we really pull from two minutes? I would have liked to see someone actually try and hit someone in that video.
It wasn't great. It definitely had some major problems with puck physics, hitting and goaltending after a patch because people bitched they couldn't score.

# 53 Mgbleu1986 @ 06/12/14 11:08 AM
It is 2014 and players STILL always have 2 hands on their stick with the puck....Wake up EA!

# 54 gabbers895 @ 06/12/14 12:26 PM
Theres an NHL 15 spot on the Gamestop stage at 2:20 est (if my math doesnt fail me)

I'd post a link but I guess Im too new to do so :P

Wonder if we'll actually get some info or if were just gonna hear a rehash of the same stuff we've seen a million times?

# 55 actionhank @ 06/12/14 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr
Naw the critics are salivating to judge alpha footage, played by 2 dudebros 3 months before the game is actually done. It's amazing in a way. What skill level the game is on greatly affects how the AI plays, the critics won't let that either get in the way of a good EA SUCKS rant however.

*GIF*
Can you honestly blame people for being a bit pessimistic? The AI will definitely play a big part in making or breaking this game for a lot of people, but it's still a bit of a let down to see something that looks like it's playing like a well polished NHL14 instead of a truly next-gen game.
I went into this video hoping to be proven wrong on the things i had thought might happen, but so far my expectations weren't far off. The skating and AI look largely unchanged. The goalies still look like they play the same nonsense game they did before. Is it fair to judge it based off of this tiny clip? Not entirely, but you do take something away from that. If you watched this video on low-res you would be hard-pressed to tell it apart from NHL14 by just watching the way the players move.

That said, there's still time. But, it's a daunting task. People want AI that plays hockey. Personally, i got bored with NHL14 because entering the zone was stupidly easy. I dumped the puck just to do it. Not because i had to. The attacking AI was more of the same. Skate down the wings, get smashed into the boards, stand still, start back skating when i get next to them, repeat. Same for AI players on the rush who would just stop skating at the blue line or the circles instead of crashing the net on a 3-on-1. EA has a lot to prove with 15. They've got the hardware to make amazing AI. They haven't had anywhere close to this level of memory to allocate to the computer running plays, noticing open ice, or creating breakouts. Hopefully they do something with it.
I can get past players that look goofy to me, i can deal with another year of a pretty stale Be A GM experience, but i can't take another year of brain-dead AI who just skate from one place to another, or stand still or run into each other in the zone because there's nothing else they know to do.

I'm still waiting for an actual EA provided video showing the game itself off, instead of 2 guys who are god-awful at hockey playing it, but that doesn't mean i'm not a bit letdown with what i saw beyond their control in this.

:edit:

Also, sliders that really work would be a huge change. If they gave us more slider control, and it made a noticeable difference, that would alleviate a ton of problems.
EA would be better off if they had more creation/sharing. Rosters, slider settings, created players. If we had a vault type system similar to what the show has, people could easily download released roster improvements, players, teams, and sliders, freeing up EA's time to address gameplay issues a slider fix won't deal with.

# 56 AdamJones113 @ 06/12/14 12:32 PM

Here's similar quality footage from E3 2014. Looks very similar to NHL 14.

Any ideas when EA will give us a professional video? That's what I'm looking forward to.

# 57 Pezell04x @ 06/12/14 12:37 PM
Quote:
So one is an issue with the console hardware, and the other two were easily fixed through sliders. I wouldn't exactly call them major game issues. There will always be goals that are easier to score than others, and the vast majority will abuse them. That being said, you find a good league online and you don't have to deal with any of that OVP trash.
I would call the AI dumping the puck into the corner and having it go above Zdeno Chara's head a major issue - especially when you have to stop, have your player wait there and lose all momentum in the corner.

Puck physics were easily a major problem and that dump I'm talking about wasn't something you could control w/ sliders.

There were more issues. Players played the same. Teams played the same. It wasn't as good as some people make it out to be and it wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. On a scale of 1-10, it is a solid 5. It is an average NHL game.

# 58 actionhank @ 06/12/14 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezell04x
I would call the AI dumping the puck into the corner and having it go above Zdeno Chara's head a major issue - especially when you have to stop, have your player wait there and lose all momentum in the corner.

Puck physics were easily a major problem and that dump I'm talking about wasn't something you could control w/ sliders.

There were more issues. Players played the same. Teams played the same. It wasn't as good as some people make it out to be and it wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. On a scale of 1-10, it is a solid 5. It is an average NHL game.
My frustration with that was that it was something that wasn't there before. It got patched in, but never out. And there's no counter for it. I can get there 5 minutes before anyone else, but i can't grab the puck or try to get it. I have to hope when it lands, there's no AI around to snatch it up while i sit there with no defense against it.

# 59 gabbers895 @ 06/12/14 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113

Any ideas when EA will give us a professional video? That's what I'm looking forward to.
That looked even worst than the other one. You cant really make out the nice graphics in this one and without them it does seem a lot like 14...

luckily this is just an alpha version. The release is always much different I find.

# 60 nddurst @ 06/12/14 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113

You realize that is NHL 14, right?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.