Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

IGN posted their full gameplay stream of Madden NFL 15 complete with full gameplay. Here are some thoughts I had while watching the video through. Beware this is an early build of the game and some of the things which don't seem right could easily be fixed by the time of release.

I'd recommend listing anything you find with the hopes it might get fixed by the time release gets here. Here are some of my notes:
  • Kick meter is interesting, definitely inspired by Tiger Woods.
  • QB Run-Outs with real video is quite awesome. Wonder how they'll solve that with franchise draftees/etc.?
  • The game is much smoother now that there aren't any cut-scenes. The transitions are much better between plays.
  • Jump snap seems ok. It's a gamey thing, but it's one of those things Madden's defense has needed for years.
  • The DL/OL interactions are definitely improved. They're still not perfect, but they're definitely the best we've ever seen in a football game.
  • On the first user sack, it definitely looks like the d-lineman worked his way past the OL and left the OL standing there. That needs to be fixed, if an OL lets his assignment through, he's not going to return to blocking air. This actually seems to be a big problem in the trenches, kind of negates the other positives. Oops. Going to chalk this up to being an early build.
  • Switching cameras in game...that's a small but very significant change.
  • The new playcalling system is a huge change. Thankfully EA has left the playcalls by formation and play type in. They've added Coach Suggestions, Concept, and I believe Personnel is new but I'd have to refresh my memory (I'm a play-type guy).
  • For all of the talk of lower QB accuracy, Kaepernick and Wilson certainly don't miss much. I know they're really good QBs, but I was halfway expecting to see a few more 'off' throws.
  • Coverage seems about the same honestly from the couch viewpoint. There wasn't enough to really go off of, and this could be because that aspect isn't fully tuned or possibly because of difficulty concerns. But I didn't see much that seemed too different from previous Maddens.
  • Dropping back 20 yards and throwing still works but it's entirely possible this was on a lower difficulty...maybe.
  • Finally towards the end Kaepernick misses a throw to the corner and its almost picked. He was definitely a bit off balance. Again this could be due to difficulty levels being lower.
  • The matchup stick is actually really awesome. You can see where players have advantages on the field in real time.
  • Overall the game is more fluid than last year and definitely looks better. The defensive mechanics look like they add some new level to the game -- but exactly how much will only be able to be determined by some firsthand playtime.
Overall

It's far from bad, also just as far from truly great. Madden NFL 15 will be a Madden game through and through, and as I've said many times you either have to live with that or go without football video games right now if you don't like it -- Madden isn't changing its core style/pacing at this point. This will be another step forward for the series almost certainly, and if the modes offer some interesting/good experiences it could be a good year for the series once again.

What do you all think of the gameplay shown in the video?

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 South318 @ 06/12/14 12:51 PM
I was looking forward to Madden NFL 15, not so much now.

# 82 Only1LT @ 06/12/14 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstardad
I think Madden's biggest issue over the past several years is that it had several different dev teams that it basically kept trying to start over year after year. Add to the fact that we had different dev teams with different ideas and there was never a "foundation" for the game to build off of.
There have not been several different dev teams on Madden. They have made changes within the team. Promoting, replacing, hiring, etc, people in certain positions, but it's not a new dev team.

Call of DUty has several dev teams (Infinity Ward, 3Arch, Sledgehammer). Madden does not, and never has.

I actually wish they did have a new dev team.

# 83 Only1LT @ 06/12/14 01:49 PM
Graphics look better. Not jaw dropping, but definitely better.

Player models look better. Still need work, but definitely better.

Finally they got the memo on presentation. Real-time. Sensible transitions. Looks really good. Better late than never.

Animations look the same, which is to say, very bad. Stop adding in new animations until you fix ONE terrible animation, ie the running animation. You know, the animation that you see 90% of the time that you play? What a novel idea.

I don't care what difficulty it's on, why are you still able to drop back 20yds without consequence? I guess Clint is no more successful than the last people that promised a real pocket.

TLDR, the waiting game is still on. Good grief.

# 84 Only1LT @ 06/12/14 01:55 PM
Quote:
Ok, my mistake for making the reference to team.

They have had different lead developers over the past few years that each had their own idea of what to put into the game. And with each new lead dev came a new idea of what to put into the game, therefore never allowing a foundation to be set.

That better?
Those leads came from within. They may have had a few ideas of their own about direction, but none of it was a radical departure from what was already being done. They all had some expectation that Madden could improve, but their concept of improvement was less about blowing it up, which it should have been, and more about there's a couple of nagging things wrong with this already great game.

When I said that Madden hasn't had several dev teams, I wasn't pointing out a sematical error on your part or being a grammar Nazi. I said what I said to illustrate that the leads can change, but the quest for simulation remains the same. In other words, they think they are pretty much there already and just need to tweak a few things.

A new dev lead at Tiburon is the equivalent of getting a new back of the box feature. It never amounts to any more than that.

# 85 RogueHominid @ 06/12/14 03:13 PM
I'm curious to know if you meant "best in Madden to date" when you spoke of OL/DL interaction, or if you truly meant "best we've seen in a football game," which would be a more direct reference to the as-yet unparalleled OL/DL play in APF.

# 86 Only1LT @ 06/12/14 03:30 PM
Quote:
I see what you're saying and you make an excellent point.

I would also like to apologize for my childish and smart remark earlier.
Nothing to apologize for and my reply to you could easily be misconstrued as childish grammar police nitpicking, so it was perfectly understandable, and tame to be honest.

I appreciate the apology, but it's unnecessary all the same.

# 87 moylan1234 @ 06/12/14 04:07 PM
Graphics and presentation look okay, but unfortunately it's supposed to be a football game and I still don't see any evidence of improvement in that area

# 88 OrganizedChaos @ 06/12/14 07:28 PM
Whatever guys, as long as some *** clown can't beat me online running two fn plays the whole game I'll be jacked up. This game looks great, wish it were August now. Just wondering what they said about QB throwing motions? Are they redone?

# 89 gjneff @ 06/13/14 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
Not crazy about seeing Navorro Bowman on the kickoff team
Bowman actually does cover on special teams sometimes, but I agree about not wanting my starters on special teams

# 90 DaveDQ @ 06/13/14 07:17 AM
I cringe every time I hear, "ok, so what we did is overhauled the entire...and we built this year's...from the ground up."

It says a lot when every year they claim huge improvements while they give last years game a backhand.

# 91 wordtobigbird @ 06/13/14 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
Bowman actually does cover on special teams sometimes, but I agree about not wanting my starters on special teams
The fact that we can't set our special teams players is a huge hole in the game. Trying to manipulate your depth chart to get certain players on/off special teams is a pain.

# 92 kubankaos @ 06/14/14 09:12 PM
Not impressed with anything I have seen. Yeah graphics are nicer, but that doesn't cut it for me.

And the only reason I bought Madden last year after not buying for so many years was for the DirecTV Sunday ticket deal. That will be the only way I'm purchasing Madden this year.

Well that is unless magic happens between now and release and they churn out a good football game. I can't stand those robotic animations and the other things.

Just really hoping they do the Sunday ticket. I wouldn't even care if I had to purchase Hello Kitty Adventure.

# 93 Branchurian @ 06/16/14 03:21 PM
This is pretty much madden 25.2. Don't get me wrong It looks good until your actually in game, then it just looks like same old madden. The hand fighting & shedding blocks seems too easy now with just a tap of X/A which is also the defensive assist button. Mark my words that will be overpowered and become a problem online. Another weapon for the cheesers to use, all these "vast improvements" they tout and Rex DICK saying that we are making a 100% simulation....looks like the same arcadey madden. I'll save my money, only way I get this is if I had Facemask connect!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.