Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

While there has some some question as to the status of the exclusivity of the Madden license, owing to the fact the last mention of the license by EA only said there were a number of years left on it with no mention of exclusivity. That was never a guarantee that the license wasn't exclusive, as EA hadn't mentioned in official documents that the license was either extended or exclusive since the initial deal -- the news of the prior extension was never fully confirmed by EA.

Expecting a different approach where EA held a pomp and circumstance parade has led to a rash of unfounded rumors that another competitor, namely 2K, was developing a football game. There was even an unfounded expectation that 2K might even debut a football title at E3.

However, the biggest news to come out of the 2K camp at E3 might have been Ronnie2K confirming that not only was 2K not working on a football game, but that the license was still exclusively owned by 'someone else.'

This isn't surprising, considering the NFL license being open for other partners would have almost certainly leaked by now by someone. The current deal's term length which has been widely speculated and rumored is that Madden still has two to three years in its current deal, pushing the game well into this new generation.

It still remains unlikely, even if the license was open, that a competitor could rise up to compete with Madden in any reasonable amount of time given the more advanced needs of today's sports gaming audience. Thus, given the license's current status, it is possible that any possible competitor wouldn't be ready for release for at least 18-24 months after the license was actually acquired by someone, which puts the most reasonable timeframe for a Madden competitor at least four to five years from now, if ever. The most likely scenario remains that EA and Madden will remain the only major NFL gaming option on big box consoles for the foreseeable future.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gilley @ 06/13/14 11:38 AM
Edit:Wrong forum for this.

(For my own post)

# 2 CM Hooe @ 06/13/14 11:39 AM
This is about what I expected, honestly.

Certainly not the best situation for video game consumers, but at least firm knowledge of the situation is better than endless speculation.

# 3 Jr. @ 06/13/14 11:41 AM
Makes me wonder what the whole "bring it 2k" was all about.

# 4 Gilley @ 06/13/14 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.

It was an empty challenge. He knew they couldn't do anything.

# 5 apollon42 @ 06/13/14 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley
It was an empty challenge. He knew they couldn't do anything.
That's like challenging someone to a one on one fight but brining 20 of your friends.

# 6 dkp23 @ 06/13/14 11:49 AM
I remember rumors a few years ago that m14 (m25) would be the final year of exclusitivity. NOw another 3-4 years? This is sad for all football gamers because EA has not lived up to the hype at all.

Making empty challenges to 2k is quite sad, they need to look in the mirror and realize they are only selling because it is the only football game. EA doesnt want 2k to return, if they did, you would see madden go the way of nba live.

# 7 boxboy99 @ 06/13/14 11:53 AM
The EA challenge to 2K looks pretty disgusting assuming EA still holds the exclusive license. I really need to quit giving EA my money. First test is next week, as I planned to purchase EA UFC. I really don't need another game right now with The Show, NBA 2K, and Watchdogs, so I might be able to hold out........ but probably not

# 8 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/13/14 11:54 AM
This makes that challenge by Rex Dickson to 2K even more lame smh. How are you going to throw out a challenge knowing that you hold all the cards? That's like an Olympic sprinter challenging a handicapped person in a wheel chair to a race. Anyways I'm not really surprised. Of course we would all love competition but I happen to like the direction EA is going with Madden. I think this current dev team actually gets it. The game still has a ways to go (Signature Running Animations, Ball Carrying Styles, DB/WR interactions, 2K5's level of presentation, etc..) but I am seeing progress. As long as they continue to strive for simulation, I think we're in good hands.

# 9 Brother3Wright @ 06/13/14 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
If you watch the video, listen to what HHG says before Rex issues the challenge. HHG askes "IF" the license was open, what you would say. He posed it as a hypothetical.

# 10 elgreazy1 @ 06/13/14 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I honestly think he was tired of hearing about 2K and got caught up in the moment.

How would you all feel if you put immense time, effort and energy into something only to have an audience of naysayers keep saying your work isn't good enough?

# 11 RandomPerson @ 06/13/14 11:58 AM
Football gaming remains dead.

# 12 bxphenom7 @ 06/13/14 11:59 AM
Someone take me to a another alternate universe where 2k still makes football games. This is ridiculously disheartening but I will continue to not purchase Madden games. I was going to wait for Madden to get its **** together, and close to the level NFL 2k5 was......a decade ago! But screw it, I'm not buying Madden at all, no matter the quality it reaches, and honestly, I feel confident in predicting it won't reach NFL 2k5's quality this gen. There needs to be competition. That's that.

# 13 apollon42 @ 06/13/14 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I honestly think he was tired of hearing about 2K and got caught up in the moment.
Well he should step up his game if he's tired of hearing about it. Do you think Rockstar is tired of hearing about Saints Row? No because they have a far superior product.

# 14 bowld @ 06/13/14 12:03 PM
This doesn't surprise me. There is a reason EA is voted the worst company year after year. The bottom line is that these games are made more for the general audience. Until someone comes along and wants to truly create a SIM game, this is what we are stuck with. Disgusting

# 15 T5063 @ 06/13/14 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
It sure made him look like a chump.

He might as well have challenged an 8 year old to a fight (which would also be hypothetical).

# 16 Jr. @ 06/13/14 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother3Wright
If you watch the video, listen to what HHG says before Rex issues the challenge. HHG askes "IF" the license was open, what you would say. He posed it as a hypothetical.
Yeah I just saw the transcript of the question and what the EA guy said. Still seems ridiculous to me to go that far with an answer when you know its not even a possibility. Oh well, it doesn't ultimately matter in the end. The status quo remains

# 17 Aggies7 @ 06/13/14 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5063
It sure made him look like a chump.

He might as well have challenged an 8 year old to a fight (which would also be hypothetical).

With this news confirmed. I agree that comment was in very poor taste knowing they can't "bring it"

# 18 SageInfinite @ 06/13/14 12:06 PM
Lost all respect for Rex. Definitely won't be supporting Madden now.

# 19 dkp23 @ 06/13/14 12:12 PM
I wasn't aware of Rex Dickson until i saw the youtube video of him screaming at the screen about how they were not making an arcade game and making a football simulation. It was cringeworthy and corny.

Then to hear about the challenge to 2k, wow, i believe NFL put it up for bid and EA won, so not sure how he thinks 2k can buy the licenese if they have the exclusive contract? who knows.

Maybe one day we will see another 2k vs ea battle, i was a huge supporter of madden, then madden 06/07/08/09 etc came out and at that point, you come to expect disappointment. Glad the cones back tho

# 20 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/13/14 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother3Wright
I didn't take it as a hypothetical because he said something along the lines of 2K put your money up (referring to license).

« Previous1234567891819Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.