Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

While there has some some question as to the status of the exclusivity of the Madden license, owing to the fact the last mention of the license by EA only said there were a number of years left on it with no mention of exclusivity. That was never a guarantee that the license wasn't exclusive, as EA hadn't mentioned in official documents that the license was either extended or exclusive since the initial deal -- the news of the prior extension was never fully confirmed by EA.

Expecting a different approach where EA held a pomp and circumstance parade has led to a rash of unfounded rumors that another competitor, namely 2K, was developing a football game. There was even an unfounded expectation that 2K might even debut a football title at E3.

However, the biggest news to come out of the 2K camp at E3 might have been Ronnie2K confirming that not only was 2K not working on a football game, but that the license was still exclusively owned by 'someone else.'

This isn't surprising, considering the NFL license being open for other partners would have almost certainly leaked by now by someone. The current deal's term length which has been widely speculated and rumored is that Madden still has two to three years in its current deal, pushing the game well into this new generation.

It still remains unlikely, even if the license was open, that a competitor could rise up to compete with Madden in any reasonable amount of time given the more advanced needs of today's sports gaming audience. Thus, given the license's current status, it is possible that any possible competitor wouldn't be ready for release for at least 18-24 months after the license was actually acquired by someone, which puts the most reasonable timeframe for a Madden competitor at least four to five years from now, if ever. The most likely scenario remains that EA and Madden will remain the only major NFL gaming option on big box consoles for the foreseeable future.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 dghustla @ 06/13/14 04:15 PM
Not sure why this is even news? Rex said last year in a interview posted on this very site that Madden would be the only licensed NFL video game for the foreseeable future and that ppl needed to get on board, be constructive and help make the game better or go complain to 2k. (paraphrasing)

# 82 Weedboy @ 06/13/14 04:31 PM
im still playing nfl 2k5 with updated rosters by bill boldberg on my ps2 emulator at 1440p with aa and 16x anisotropic filtering at the full 60 frames. Im also still playing ncaa 2003 on a gamecube emulator at 1440p as well so madden will never get me to even try its new games. They should have locked up an exclusive baseball license because that and hockey are all they are good at. Pez 2014 on a high end pc smoked the fifa next gen and bogus pc port easily. im gonna make a few videos about this tomorrow so people can know there are other options out there. You only really need to go to them for hockey. did you guys hear the latest debacle with ufc. it only has 10 create a fighter spots. wtf

# 83 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 06/13/14 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
Why doesn't someone like 2K or SCEA, or SOMEBODY, make a generic game? Give us the gameplay, with some fictional teams, and give us really in-depth create-a-team/create-a-player modes? Then we could create the NFL, the NCAA, whatever, and they save money by not having to pay for a license. I mean, is it just me, or would that not be the simplest thing to do?
Because they wouldn't see a return on their investment. The cost of making videogames has increased for Next Gen. It sounds good in theory to ask a company to just make a non licensed generic customizable game, but in order to make a fully featured game that could even compete with Madden (in sales not gameplay) they would have to take a major risk & invest millions upon millions $. The reality is even if a company came out & made the greatest football game ever, it still wouldn't come close to Madden in sales without the NFL license. Even if it did, it would take multiple years for the masses to convert being that Madden is such a household name. Now of course us Sim heads would jump all over it & I understand that in todays day & age with social media it could be marketed a lot easier, but the fact remains that the majority want an NFL game. The license is powerful. EA knows this, 2K knows this, & every other company out there knows this. 2K tried the generic route with APF 2K8 & even though their gameplay was superior to Madden, that game has only sold about 500,000 to date! Madden sells that much in a week! You could argue that APF 2K8 wasn't marketed well enough or that it didn't have a franchise mode, etc.. but it not being able to have current NFL players caused the biggest disconnect. 2K rolled the dice & it backfired. So as much as we all want an alternative, it ain't happening without the NFL license.

# 84 iLLWiLL @ 06/13/14 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I think going forward we need to address the problem where the problem lives and call it by its real name. The problem is not EA, they are the facilitator of the problem. TIBURON IS the problem. They don't have the talent there to do what the VC guys did 7 years ago. I saw in another thread guys making excuses for how madden 15's animations dont look good because we are looking at them on compressed youtube videos. LOL.

Here is a compressed youtube video of AP2k8, why do their 7 year old animations look better than yet to be released Madden 15 ?

Since REX likes making challenges how about he show us some Madden 15 tackling footage / animations / OL/DL interactions that match or surpass some of the stuff we see here:

Also why can I send more that one man in motion in AP2K8 but still can't do it in Madden 15 ? Why can't we decide a blitz angle in Madden 15 but could in Ap2k8 ? Why can I hold more plays in my custom playbook in Ap2k8 than Madden 15 ? Why can I setup player packages for formations in Ap2k8 but can't in Madden 15 ? Why is there a around the league Halftime show in 2K5 but STILL NONE in Madden 15 ?

We can go on and on. Here is another challenge to REX play any 2k8 highlight video on youtube and play any Madden 15 video from where ever you want to get it at E3 then ask the crowd which game looks more next gen football.
GOTdamn. Had no idea APF2K8 was that awesome.

F'n eh, EA

# 85 LBzrule @ 06/13/14 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
Why doesn't someone like 2K or SCEA, or SOMEBODY, make a generic game? Give us the gameplay, with some fictional teams, and give us really in-depth create-a-team/create-a-player modes? Then we could create the NFL, the NCAA, whatever, and they save money by not having to pay for a license. I mean, is it just me, or would that not be the simplest thing to do?
Because as has been shown the last 9 years, you do not have to have a great game. You just need the NFL and it will sell. On the flip side, you can have a great game, but without the NFL, your game will be in the gutter.

# 86 LBzrule @ 06/13/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
My thoughts exactly in bold. But the average internet forum goer who gets deeply involved in football gaming communities--who also tends to be a simhead/franchise aficionado to a larger degree than the general consumer base--dismisses that reality entirely. The very notion that the majority who buys this game is largely unconcerned with these things, is usually considered blasphemous and is met with strong ire by said goer.
While that constituency might not be concerned, obviously EA is or else they wouldn't be doing interviews with online communities; they wouldn't get their feelings hurt by comments from online folks; they wouldn't invite people from online communities to come play their game early, so on and so forth. So yeah while that group doesn't care, it seems to me that people at tiburon care alot what internet communities think.

# 87 TombSong @ 06/13/14 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiX
Idk how anyone can look at these vids from over 7 years ago and wonder why poeple give Madden a hard time the way they do. Goodness freakin gracious.

I would LOVE for mr REX to come in this thread poppin off at the mouth about a challenge he has already Lost, LOL.

# 88 BigDaddyHolmes @ 06/13/14 05:15 PM
I was actually thinking about buying Madden this year again, but after this news, kinda woke me up again. Not supporting Madden 15 because I don't want it as the only option.

Funny thing is they actually sold better when they weren't exclusive. No idea why they don't understand their fans aren't happy with this exclusive. Put the money into the game and not into protection another company wont better you

# 89 cowboy_kmoney @ 06/13/14 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
Right.....because NBA Live did SO well against NBA 2K. Which is why NBA Live is the best, most critically acclaimed basketball game now, and has been for the past decade. Imagine if EA had exclusive rights to the NBA.........Just ponder on that for a minute. It would sell like hot cakes, just like Madden, solely due to the brand name. Yet, there would be people talking about how great NBA Live is, and how people want a perfect game. But you know what, if EA holds the rights forever, the people to blame for them still selling units, is US. Because as a whole keep buying it, and supporting it. We get what we pay for. Until people stop buying it (which lets be honest, won't ever happen) we will always get mediocre NFL football.
So we r stuck with EA for how many more years.C'Mon Man...

# 90 tril @ 06/13/14 05:26 PM
ok, now that its official, I will be purchasing a 360 just to play the APF2k8 modded NFL game.
though Im dissappointed, the Madden title stills looks good this year, very promising in my opinion.
Madden will get my money this year

# 91 Dolphins88 @ 06/13/14 05:31 PM
Ya pretty sad when a game made almost 10 years ago still plays better realistic football than madden now. Could you imagine a 2k nfl game now on ng systems. Madden would be like live.

# 92 dkp23 @ 06/13/14 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
In my opinion, people are getting mad at the wrong company. If there is a company to be mad at, be mad at the NFL and not EA / 2K .
EA makes the game, a subpar game. Things many said would happen to madden after exclusivitiy has essentially happened. No competition means no incentive to upgrade the game. Now it is a stretch to say they have not upgraded the game, but the point was if they are not being pushed, then they can add things that should of been added at their own pace. it took EA 5 years to get online franchise and we are now in year 9 and no gang tackling. It took them two years to even fix the damn wind being wrong.

I can list a whole lot of things that they said are improved and didnt. How many years to do we have to see a q&A with a person from ea saying "Ratings now matter", so it didnt matter before? why have ratings then? why have public ratings?

I think people have every right to be made at EA.

It is pretty simple, if madden was actually a good game, i dont think EA would get a lot of heat from their customers as they do today.

# 93 LBzrule @ 06/13/14 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I would LOVE for mr REX to come in this thread poppin off at the mouth about a challenge he has already Lost, LOL.
Rex says they like to be challenged. We, the community, challenged them back in 2009 when they were making Madden 10 to match 2k5's tackling and to this day they have not met this challenge. They gone around it with Pro-Tak, they've added physics and they still haven't met this challenge. What else do they need? Ohhh I know, next year. Always next year.

And for those who say Rex wasn't around then. I know. But I know Rex doesn't write code either.

# 94 dkp23 @ 06/13/14 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Rex says they like to be challenged. We, the community, challenged them back in 2009 when they were making Madden 10 to match 2k5's tackling and to this day they have not met this challenge. They gone around it with Pro-Tak, they've added physics and they still haven't met this challenge. What else do they need?

And for those who say Rex wasn't around then. I know. But I know Rex doesn't write code either.
Empty challenge by Rex, it is quite comical. One of those things you watch years down the line and just cringe.

# 95 vision @ 06/13/14 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
My thoughts exactly in bold. But the average internet forum goer who gets deeply involved in football gaming communities--who also tends to be a simhead/franchise aficionado to a larger degree than the general consumer base--dismisses that reality entirely. The very notion that the majority who buys this game is largely unconcerned with these things, is usually considered blasphemous and is met with strong ire by said goer.
I might have agreed with this five years ago, but I think the average consumer (gamer) deserves more credit. It's not that difficult to go on youtube to see the latest videos of madden, and how flawed it has been over the years. Especially in comparison to quality products like nba2k, MLB the show. We are in the golden years of the free Information age. I think the younger kids that just want to cheese you in online games may not care about the details, but most knowledgable football fans.. I believe.. Want a representative product.

# 96 hanzsomehanz @ 06/13/14 06:09 PM
TakeTwo is a product of their own football game demise: they undersold a valuable product whose immediate competitor (EA) had more power.

If this ttrend stuck, would it be realistic or even reasonable to continue selling NFL video games for far less than NBA titles?

2K hurt their own pockets and in a passive aggressive way they slapped the NFL in the face by cheapening the product with such low standards for price points.

I was on a strictly EA Sports diet when NFL 2k and other competitors were around - EA had that power over me. It was not until NBA Elite dropped that I dropped my bias affection for EA.

Since then, we have seen NCAA Football drop and that title had no immediate competition, similar to Madden.

It is fair to conclude that EA can be the target of their own worst enemy. I am less loyal to EA based on their product value alone, nothing else matters.

NBA2K11 was a dream come true for me that I would never have experienced had EA delivered a valuable product that was in line w the standards of the day.

Competition can be a fickle matter

I learned in the movie JOBS that Steve Jobs preached to be different and in effect "challenge yourself to be uniquely great".

Who was JOBS competitor when he dropped the iPod?

It was this attitude of pioneering greatness and having a steadfast desire to satisfy the consumer's social status cravings that propelled Apple to the pinnacle of businsss sucess - Most Valuable Company in the World!

Creating a valuable brand always begins with your willpower and vision: the onus is on EA Tiburon and nobody else.

How is it that the most popular sport in America is not the highest selling sports video game title in America?

Madden currently serves more as a fix for the addict than it does a box of chocolates for a lover.

Is it possible for Madden to produce a ★★★★★ product annualy? Based on their financial resources, human capital talent, exclusive license, and brand power: I believe it is complacent and unjust for them not to.

A company like Apple does not need exclusive rights: they are forever blazing a trail for followers.

Jobs made it not only his job but his passion to ensure that every consumer be the utmost proud of his product / their purchase - he wished to suffer them no remorse, no shame: but pure joy and satisfaction.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

# 97 Jermaine76 @ 06/13/14 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother3Wright
If you watch the video, listen to what HHG says before Rex issues the challenge. HHG askes "IF" the license was open, what you would say. He posed it as a hypothetical.
If, would of, could of, should of....thats beside the point. If the man would have answered in a professional manner without the theactrics then it would had been all good. But to put up a wrestling-style shoot promo...telling 2K to come at him is foolishness. How can they "come" at him when 2K can't make an NFL game? Once he started with the theactrics, the HYPOTHETICAL question was tossed aside.

# 98 RUFFNREADY @ 06/13/14 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Current agreement doesn't allow for anyone but EA to make console football, not even first party...assuming terms are the same as they were when it was initially signed, which there's no indication that isn't the case.
Why doesn't someone, who is super wealthy, just jump on board with 2K, and purchase the rights from the NFL, and make the DAMN game already? Rich people do play videogames too...(maybe)
You look at rich people around the world, throwing away money like a Kleenex, everyday ie. Big parties, a dozen fancy cars; 3 or more Mistress'; failing Major League franchises; Crappy restaurant chains! Why can't they give Us something that resembles the NFL? (my plea) lol
Well, madden it is.
cheers

# 99 RickyAC @ 06/13/14 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollon42
This makes me sad. I saw gang tackling, proper route running, real time injuries, ect. And the game is 6 years old ...
There's an awful game on the Xbox360 arcade called Avatar Football. I played the demo to try to fulfill my starving need for quality football. It was thoroughly awful.

What it did do however, was create a 32 team league with names like "Denver Stallions", Oakland Pirates". The NFL team colors are ALMOST copied. Players are either white guys or black guys. Teams can be renamed though, as can players.

If 2K quietly licensed their AP2K8 or NFL 2K5 gameplay code to that indie developer to replace the awful gameplay that currently exists, I would easily drop $60 on that download and never look at madden again.

# 100 brent3419 @ 06/13/14 07:15 PM
the nature of the beast from my pov is how bad the ps3 versions of madden have been had mostly soured the product. back when the ps2 madden( up to 09 the last one i played) they had some ok stuff like for franchise or what not. i had both 2k5 and madden 05 and i enjoyed both thouroughly. both had things that the other didnt but that was fine to me. now fast foward to the ps3 era especially madden 11-14. the game has gone down hill.( simpler, quicker, deeper anyone?) trying to cater to causals. m12 was a glitchfest especially with the create a teams that i sold it within three weeks. i was vastly disappointed. then 25 introduces the infinity engine and i couldnt even run for 5 yards without someone falling. for me, ncaa 14, i spent many many many hours on that game and im still playing it i havent touched madden in months and im in my 2nd season in cfm( draft logic is dumb) on ncaa? year 16. 14 was a few patches away from being a great game. madden is losing its luster and i hate how the nfl is so gripped for money whereas other sports have/had multiple games. do i want madden to get better? yea, do i want another nfl game? oh yea. but its just te way it is. blitz, 2k, xtreme, gameday, fever...never comin back

Sent from the landmass between new orleans and mobile on Tapatalk

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.