Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

Gazing around the internet today, it's pretty clear there are a wide range of opinions on EA Sports UFC -- with a pretty polarizing attitude generally towards the game.

GamingTrend gives the game a 75/100 saying, "In the end, EA Sports UFC is still a winner, but by split decision. Some of the omissions like cut and leg stoppages, and the odd bug here and there, make for a debut that is certainly better than EA Sports MMA."

Eurogamer has the game at a 7/10, saying, "EA Sports UFC is a game capable of brilliance. It's let down by some curious design decisions, signs of a team perhaps too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport."

GamesRadar checks in with a review of 3.5 stars out of 5, saying, "EA Sports UFC has plenty of talent; it's looks amazing and plays fantastically when you're staging fights with friends. However, when you decide to go it alone, the gaps in AI skill and the dearth of additional content becomes problematic."

Overall the general trend of reviews is the game has tons of potential, with a solid rookie debut, but there's a lot of work left to do for future iterations.

What do you think?

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Lakers 24 7 @ 06/17/14 02:33 PM
"too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport."

I think that sums it up perfectly. Way too much flash, too many moves that you hardly ever see in an actual fight, and not enough substance. Still a decent game overall though.

# 2 dghustla @ 06/17/14 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
"too interested in capturing non-essential moves seen on YouTube rather than nailing the essence of the sport."

I think that sums it up perfectly. Way too much flash, too many moves that you hardly ever see in an actual fight, and not enough substance. Still a decent game overall though.
This is the problem with many EA games. Also looking for over the top instead of just nailing the core principles of the games they are developing.

# 3 onac22 @ 06/17/14 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7

I think it sums up EA sports in general. Glad I waited for Gamefly on this one. Probably going to do the same with all EA sports releases, I just don't trust EA's quality lately, going with a rent then buy approach to all titles.

# 4 LingeringRegime @ 06/17/14 03:41 PM
Totally agree with Eurogamer. It's still a fun game glad I have it, but man it could have been so much better.

What's sad is that the answers to making it better sit in the wish list thread, and have sat there for over a year or so.

7/10

# 5 Dos_Santos @ 06/17/14 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
Totally agree with Eurogamer. It's still a fun game glad I have it, but man it could have been so much better.

I think the fun element is missing which is the most disappointing to me. The game feels soulless.

My expectations were low but I just don't see what the resources were spent on for such a long development time.

The youtube comment spot on.

I just don't know why they can't have an arcade and simulation mode setting. It just isn't that hard.

# 6 aholbert32 @ 06/17/14 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS 1
Some of the responses from the game devs have been bizarre. Really, leg damage is a "health event" you can fully recover from to throw spinning kicks and Showtime kicks off the cage? WTF are they smoking over there?!
I see your point but lets try to be a little less aggressive toward the devs. From the TOS

VIP's
You will notice we have many VIP's who post here, designated by their name in a purple color. Many of them are game developers or guests at Operation Sports. They are to be respected at all times. If you want to interact with our VIP's, you are to keep the discussion mature and in a professional manner. Any type of attack will not be tolerated.

# 7 kamackeris76 @ 06/17/14 04:21 PM
This was the one game i have been looking forward to and it seems like a total let down....hated the demo. I want SIM gameplay not arcade....and from the reviews of the final game has just confirmed this....not buying :-(

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

# 8 imfromhoiland @ 06/17/14 04:27 PM
Quote:
That's not an attack or insult at all. It's not aggressive, it's an opinion. Weird rules.
See bold text:

Quote:
Some of the responses from the game devs have been bizarre. Really, leg damage is a "health event" you can fully recover from to throw spinning kicks and Showtime kicks off the cage? WTF are they smoking over there?!

# 9 Lakers 24 7 @ 06/17/14 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onac22
I think it sums up EA sports in general. Glad I waited for Gamefly on this one. Probably going to do the same with all EA sports releases, I just don't trust EA's quality lately, going with a rent then buy approach to all titles.
EA definitely has a highlight reel mentality when it comes to making their sports game. I don't agree with that approach, but I personally feel that this is their best sports title in a long time. Aside from NHL, I don't play hockey games so I can't comment there.

My first online ranked match, someone picked Jon Jones (shocking) and spammed all sorts of ridiculous kicks. He ended up knocking me out a minute into the 2nd round and to that point had thrown over 100 strikes total. Maybe it's my fault for not countering effectively, but it never seemed like his speed or power took a hit despite throwing so many strikes. So I never had much of an opportunity to get in on him.

My two exhibition fights on the other hand were a lot more methodical. My opponents actually played smart and fought at a realistic pace and implemented a real gameplan.

So, it seems like there's still something to be had here. For those who want a sim experience, it can still be found with the right opponents.

# 10 Lakers 24 7 @ 06/17/14 04:46 PM
wow you guys ban people that quickly

# 11 turty11 @ 06/17/14 05:15 PM
i do think its rather silly i can give a leg "health event" and the guy has full use of his legs within a few minutes. 2 leg events and the guy should be barely able to move or throw his leg but i was still getting flying kicks ><

# 12 The JareBear @ 06/17/14 05:17 PM
I think the reviews are pretty spot on so far, honestly. I think there are good things about the game and bad things about the game, and every review I have read so far seems to point them out, some more harshly than others. It's a pretty fun game. Not a 9 or 10 but definitely not a 1 or 2 either. When I look at metacritic and I read the summaries from the professional reviews I think they all seem accurate.

# 13 LBzrule @ 06/17/14 05:21 PM
Not getting the game, but I think with their first shot at it the reviews are good. Next year, and I know we hate that, but give them another year and hopefully the package is a bit deeper.

# 14 1NFAMOU5808 @ 06/17/14 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Not getting the game, but I think with their first shot at it the reviews are good. Next year, and I know we hate that, but give them another year and hopefully the package is a bit deeper.
It's not a yearly title.

# 15 Tomba @ 06/17/14 09:24 PM
Every fight feels organic it's quite stunning actually minus maybe say a ugly10% of smoothness issue it's all very flowing. Graphically anyone can see THIS is next gen from player models skin bruising it's all so well done this first time around. I feel the arenas are very alike but watching any fight you see just the ring but I'd like more of a feel that it's the whole staples center MGM grand were in. Sad you can't make female fighters and sad that you can't have more created fighters sad I don't watch UFC to know who I am fighting with but this game has done something interesting .... It's made tomba interested in UFC =)

# 16 jme42257 @ 06/17/14 09:46 PM
wasn't overly impressed with the demo at all. transitions were stickier then they used to be.

# 17 m1ke_nyc @ 06/17/14 10:45 PM
On my way home now to play the retail version. Assuming its not drastically different from the demo what I gathered was the game has potential its just it was obvious its a debut game. Its not deep in gameplay and features. I feel like this game can be very good in years to come though. Its a solid foundation.

# 18 Coolade @ 06/17/14 10:49 PM
This game is amazing to me. It's a "foundation" builder for future titles, so my expectations have already been in check. They will release 2 or 3 more of these games, and what we have so far is great. I've only played online, I've gone 6 and 2. Lost to bruce lee and a flash leg kick KO to start a match. Playing humans is where the most fun is had. Haven't touched career mode yet.

# 19 MAGboyswifT27 @ 06/18/14 08:32 AM
I'll give it a 7.9/10 which for me is good. I play on Pro and the lack of AI and non stop spam can drive you crazy. Also I don't even attempt submissions or mess with the ground game because the CPU is too dominant with guards, passes, and submissions.

# 20 jaredsmith83 @ 06/18/14 09:07 AM
I think once the stamina issue and the cpu ground dominance gets patched up, its going to be a lot better. Patience is rewarded against the computer though. Its not quite what a lot of us were expecting, but for its things we knock, it does have some things of beauty to it. I will agree about this being the foundation game. Remember how Undisputed 2009 was? Its a similar situation. They're learning the new system, the new engine, etc so now that this is out and they're getting input, things will hopefully be put in motion for change from there.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.