Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

In what will be the first of many guest video posts here on OS, longtime OS'er Cody Ballard sent us the following video which gives Madden fans five simple tips to step their game up this fall.

The five tips Cody discusses are:
  1. Get an identity.
  2. Develop concepts.
  3. Work on your reads.
  4. Stop being lazy.
  5. Get involved.
Be sure to watch the video above and give Cody's full article a read on Medium. You can subscribe to Cody on YouTube here.

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 hanzsomehanz @ 06/23/14 02:19 PM
I appreciate his list.

I appreciate the tourney gamers and their tips and strategy guides.

I have always held tight to the belief that "you shall hate the game but not the gamer": every gamer needs their tricks in any contest and so: to each their own - play and let play.

"Dominate me - pummel me into the ground" said no one.

Thanks to these tourney guys who offer their tips: I am able to overcome a lot of the very cheese a sim gamer complains about or even overcome the very AI deficiencies that EA implements - it is not the Sim Community sharing these breakthroughs nor is it EA.

The tourney gamers are in rage about the OP run game too but they spend time in the lab to concoct systems that counter the very cheese that EA designed and delivered.

I can receive tips from a toruney gamer and still remain autonomous and authentic, regardless of what I see demonstrated and taught against my standards: I can still extract the lesson, the concept, and that is esentially what is important in a Football contest.

In fairness, tourney gamers are conditioned for tight, competitive, high-stakes affairs (Pro Gaming), so much so that they are naturally inclined to concoct strategies of the unorthodox because their competition is so high on Madden IQ that stock strategies will fail them.

The stock strategies that Madden offers us as stock will fail because they are poorly designed and on top of that the CPU will execute them poorly or not at all.

The Tourney community is not my target for complaints or retribution: god forbid the NFL and Roger Goddell dictate when it is acceptable to go for it on 4th down or how often a play be recycled - any team and coach will run his designs if he feels the chances to succeed favor him.

EA, by design, creates these chance outcomes for all of us.

It would be hypocritical of me to make crude comments towards CNB (author and editor of the article) or unsub him based on this article.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

# 42 BezO @ 06/23/14 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
You could make that point all day and you have, to your credit, you are technically right, the best kind. However, in the context of Madden, to do it "right" would mean rewriting/rebuilding things from scratch, which is apparently not an option, for whatever reason. I know that you have mentioned in the past the problem with requesting bandaids and place holders instead of core fixes but when the landlord refuses to replace the old rusty pipes you need a plan B or move.
IMO, they're not refusing to do anything. They are giving folks exactly what they ask for. Most of even OS are asking for peripheral improvements.

How many folks are asking for gap/contain assignments, retiered playbooks... it's only recently that folks are ralying around animations & locomotion. These are the core issues.

Dropping back 20 yards? What did most folks ask for? Inaccuracy when QBs drop that far. What did we get? Inaccurate passes. The real problem? Blocking for 3, 5 & 7 step drops, the interaction between blockers/rushers & the angle created by dropping back that far.

# 43 BezO @ 06/23/14 04:05 PM
I guess where you see countless & numerous, I see a handful of posters asking for these things and the majority asking for the peripheral stuff.

For every one poster asking for what I feel needs to be done, I see 10 posters asking for the side effects, and another 10 saying some version of that's too complex, y'all want perfection, it's a video game, etc. As sim as these boards are supposed to be, I see more concern for balance than what I consider realism. Most are concerned with the stats & results. I see few concerned with the why.

Ask for what you think is possible. I feel you on that as EA appears to listen to those types of request. But momma told me if I need 5, ask for 10, not 2. Too many folks happy with 2 for my taste. And that's what they get. 2. And the same folks asking for 2 will complain next year that they only got 2.

# 44 gzenius @ 06/23/14 04:31 PM
limiting offensive adjustments is not the answer. i could MAYBE understand some type of limit based on the QBs ratings or something but even that doesn't feel right to me.

yes, i know it's not realistic for a 55 overall QB to read the defense, audible, then make 3 hot route adjustments or be able to run no huddle all game.. but in real life 1 person doesn't control the head coach, coordinator, and QB. this is still a video game.

that's why i always loved the vision cone. on offense, the user controls the QB's reads and is as good as you're making him. i guess they could tone down accuracy ratings and gameplay(they desperately need to for deep throws) but the vision cone is the best way i've seen to reward/punish you for the caliber of QB you're using without limiting the user.

# 45 BezO @ 06/23/14 04:41 PM
Quote:
I don't know man, just doesn't seem to matter to me, they'll give us what they deem possible, in relation to developing Madden, not video games in general. When I look at things like franchise mode and presentation where there is a general consensus on mimicking real life, yet Tiburon still does their own thing to a certain extent, I can't see game play being any different.

The overriding thing for me is out of those people you believe are asking for bandaids first versus fixes, how many would be mad at a fundamental fix? I don't think most would, seeing as the fix would likely address their core issue anyway.
I doubt will ever know if it matters. Most folks are not as sim as they think. And even the simmest of heads continue to support what EA spits out.

Presentation is one of the few things that look decent. The halftime show is ehh, but replays are better and have been decent in the past.

I don't think many would be mad at a fundamental fix at all. But EA is listening to it's fans, even the simmest of OS members. Look back at issues like super LBs, CBs tackling too well, scrambling QBs, QBs dropping back too far, etc. up to audibles & hot routes. Look at how most want these issues addressed and compare that to what you know should be implemented.

There's a handful of core issues that would address all these peripheral problems, but most don't attribute those problems to a bigger issue or don't believe EA will address them. There's a reason why the number of problems aren't going down. They're just being shuffled.

# 46 MrPinkBlackrose @ 06/23/14 07:02 PM
"Identify your identity" ....smh

# 47 NicVirtue @ 06/23/14 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
y'all want perfection
No. We want excellence. There's a difference. It is achievable, has been achieved before, and this long 10 year skip down the Yellow Brick Road has taken us far away from anything remotely close to the word excellence. We all know games will never be perfect. That's the beast of technology. But we all want an excellent football game that makes us forget about the rest.

# 48 OhMrHanky @ 06/23/14 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPinkBlackrose
"Identify your identity" ....smh

'Madden offers 2 options, running and passing.' Really? Well, I guess this is a football game, right? So, I would hope u could run and pass. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 49 BezO @ 06/24/14 09:15 AM
Quote:
I hear you Bezo but I still don't see how the game not being fundamentally sound/fixed is the gamers fault. Tiburon keeps claiming to be attempting to create a NFL simulation video game, so that design and implementation onus is their's, not our's.
Fault is not the word I would use. There's no one definition for simulation. I think EA is attempting to deliver their version, and it's in line with what most are asking for.

Let's see what happens with the audibles next year. Will they nerf them for the sake of balance, or will they address the football issues. And count how many folks were asking for balance vs those asking for football.

And folks that buy the game support the effort. Again, fault is not the word I would use, but supporting one thing and expecting another is at least odd.

# 50 BezO @ 06/24/14 12:15 PM
Quote:
I would agree with you in general but just not with Madden, you know this exclusive game/situation is a whole other animal. Again, yes, technically anyone buying the game and settling for less is supporting it but if they didn't, it would not matter, imo. If this entire website were committed to asking for core fixes instead of bandaids and didn't buy the game until that happened, Tiburon would just tune us out and focus on their core consumers. Again, the reason I say this is that the vast majority of vocal Madden gamers are in agreement on realistic presentation and player management/franchise elements, yet Tiburon continues to half step those.

I'm just a little surprised to hear this coming from you considering you have actually been to Tiburon and experienced their MO first hand. There have been posts from EAGCs stating that if Tiburon says they won't/can't do a core fix for x, then continuing to harp on it is considered nonconstructive and no need for you to be invited back, ie they tune you out.

Guess we could go on and on but what you see as Tiburon giving gamers the bandaids they are asking for, I see as people just trying to get whatever they can, under the circumstances.
They pay for the exclusive rights with that $60 though. Folks don't like the deal, don't like the game, but fund both. I get folks need their fix, but personally, I had to stay out of the cycle. Supporting a sub par game is not conducive to getting a better one IMO. Neither is choosing from the small pool of available peripheral improvements. I'm trying not to get too far off topic, but imagine this concept in any other aspect of life.

But I also don't believe we are that small of a group. I don't know about you, but I reperesent at least 6 or 7 friends of mine. They don't post on sites, but they feel exactly like I do. And I'm sure there are plenty more that are not represented here. How many current & former highschool & college athletes play this game, wishing it were more realistic?

They did stop inviting me to CDs, so maybe there's some validity to the tune out. But they are adamant about producing a simulation. Who are they talking too? Where do they get their feedback from? If everyone here stuck to glabal improvements over peripheral ones, who would they invite to these events? Who would they rely on for free marketing?

I get that not everyone they communicate with is from OS or are OS types, but it has to start from somewhere. I remember when even constructive criticism of Madden wasn't cool around here. Everytime I said something negative, folks would shoo me away. "Why are you here then?" Then folks started getting invited to CDs.

# 51 N51_rob @ 06/24/14 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
I have noticed over the last few years that many of the vocal Madden supporters on here have been given 'leadership' positions on OS as well. When Ian was on here during Madden 10 I felt like we were finally going to see some much needed changes.
Really?!?!? The last four moderators to be assigned have been myself, Heartstopper, NDAlum and CMHooe. None of us strike me as ardent Madden supporters. I know that you can search my post history here and see that I have been critical of numerous game play aspects that don't work and you will also see that I personally banned one of the biggest madden supporters on this site last year. Not sure what you are trying to say with this part but I think it is highly misleading.

# 52 kehlis @ 06/24/14 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Really?!?!? The last four moderators to be assigned have been myself, Heartstopper, NDAlum and CMHooe. None of us strike me as ardent Madden supporters. I know that you can search my post history here and see that I have been critical of numerous game play aspects that don't work and you will also see that I personally banned one of the biggest madden supporters on this site last year. Not sure what you are trying to say with this part but I think it is highly misleading.
Mill would like you to step into his office first thing tomorrow morning when you arrive to discuss an HR related matter please....

# 53 CM Hooe @ 06/24/14 09:46 PM
Speaking for myself, I've offered plenty of measured constructive criticism about Madden NFL on this board. Most notably recently about the UI / UX of Maddens 13 and 25, which I still think is a bit of an abomination, and Madden's shortcomings teaching new players how to play the game, which have been addressed somewhat over the past two cycles with the new tackle cone and the Skills Trainer mode.

However, if the fact that I play and thoroughly enjoy Madden NFL as-is while hoping for year-over-year improvement means that I'm a "Madden supporter", then yes I'm a Madden supporter. I won't apologize for that. Call me "not-sim", "sheep", or any other negative buzzwords all you want, I really don't care. I enjoy Madden as it is built right now and ideally would like to come to this community to talk about the game with and play the game against like-minded people (a task which is unfortunately really hard these days).

As to my position as a moderator on Operation Sports, I wasn't sought out to promote anyone's agenda. Hell, I'm contractually bound to not promote another video game company's agenda, given the no-compete in my current contract as a software developer with a different video game company. My opinions are my own and I'm not obligated to agree with you.

Finally, I can assure you there are plenty of moderators on staff who don't enjoy Madden NFL in its current state; I'll let them identify themselves if they so choose. The difference is that by-and-large you just don't see them in the Madden section because they're busy enjoying and discussing other things on OS which aren't Madden.

# 54 HingleMcCringleberry @ 06/24/14 10:08 PM
^ Speaking in generalizations here, I don't think it's so much the fact that someone enjoys the game that frustrates most people, but when they take a closed-minded approach to the discussion and refuse to accept the views of others as valid, and then put the other person down as a result... or worse, throw the agenda term around when they mildly disagree with someone else's opinion and attack them. And that is a 2 way street, as both supporters and bashers have done this same thing.

You'll always have the moron who attacks others for having different views, but most people i've seen here are generally respectful in their discussions when voicing an opinion.

For those of us who "bash" the game, I think it mostly contributes to the fact that we are almost certain Madden will never be anywhere near where we want it to be, and it's been close to a decade since we had other options to choose from. that much waiting is bound to make some people quite frustrated with the way things are going. Afterall, we all want the same thing, a game that we enjoy.

# 55 kehlis @ 06/24/14 10:22 PM
Quote:
I wonder why people would lock in on that line in Cre8's post about leadership positions,
For me it's because I didn't disagree with anything else he said and thus didn't have anything else to comment on.

I don't agree that "leadership" positions have been given to those who back Madden. Feel free to go through posts and disagree if you wish.

(And in case you missed it those that commented on that aspect were all posters that would fall under that aspect).

Not much of a need to look too deep into that...

# 56 NicVirtue @ 06/24/14 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HingleMcCringleberry
^ Speaking in generalizations here, I don't think it's so much the fact that someone enjoys the game that frustrates most people, but when they take a closed-minded approach to the discussion and refuse to accept the views of others as valid, and then put the other person down as a result... or worse, throw the agenda term around when they mildly disagree with someone else's opinion and attack them. And that is a 2 way street, as both supporters and bashers have done this same thing.

You'll always have the moron who attacks others for having different views, but most people i've seen here are generally respectful in their discussions when voicing an opinion.

For those of us who "bash" the game, I think it mostly contributes to the fact that we are almost certain Madden will never be anywhere near where we want it to be, and it's been close to a decade since we had other options to choose from. that much waiting is bound to make some people quite frustrated with the way things are going. Afterall, we all want the same thing, a game that we enjoy.
This. There are so many reasons why people feel it will never change. The lot of them are valid. I think it's pretty safe to say that player movement will never be fluid, because that may require them starting over from scratch instead of the usual band-aid fix, and we all know that ain't happening. The way Madden moves and plays now will be the way it will most likely play forever.It's what makes Madden, Madden. Also too, if these developers are touting that they are trying to make a simulated football game, each and every single last person on the face of this earth has every right to critique the game BASED on simulation football. No if ands or buts.

# 57 DeuceDouglas @ 06/24/14 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
I have noticed over the last few years that many of the vocal Madden supporters on here have been given 'leadership' positions on OS as well.
I haven't really noticed this at. There was even one time where one of these 'leadership' positions stated how a madden supporter would probably perform "acts" on John Madden in return for a trip to a community day, so that doesn't really fall in line with that either. But, it is what it is. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. The clash on here is usually pretty entertaining.

Either you like Madden or you don't. There isn't a whole lot of area in between. This video is a great example why so many people don't and never will. One play the entire time and pretty much nothing you can do to stop it. Everybody wants a better game whether they thinks it's the greatest thing in the world or the biggest turds in a pile of turds.

# 58 kehlis @ 06/24/14 11:53 PM
Quote:
Fair enough, guess my point was that I wondered why "leadership", ie Mods, would choose to lock onto, ie respond to just that part, when the overreaching point in that post, imo, was that the Madden forum on OS can seem intolerant of Madden criticism at times, in spite of the facts of the last 10 years, regardless of any specific Mod's personal POV of Madden. When is valid criticism too much and is that same bar set for praise?
Just human nature I guess, I've become numb to reading the same posts over and over every year about the game itself or the way the forum is run.

I just take extra offense to that accusation as I don't think it was fair at all since it is clearly far from the truth.

As to the actual reason you are asking the question you know who you need to PM that question to.

# 59 Business1 @ 06/26/14 07:46 AM
Someone needs to tell madden to come up with a way you pick your teams. some of you cats are scared to loose an pick the same old teams over an over. they need to have it so you can flick your stick on your controller an were ever it lands that's the team you play with. I no when madden 15 hits Denver, 49ers Seahawks, is all you will see, madden please fix this.

# 60 NicVirtue @ 06/26/14 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Business1
Someone needs to tell madden to come up with a way you pick your teams. some of you cats are scared to loose an pick the same old teams over an over. they need to have it so you can flick your stick on your controller an were ever it lands that's the team you play with. I no when madden 15 hits Denver, 49ers Seahawks, is all you will see, madden please fix this.
So......you're asking them to restrict what teams people want to play with in a game hey spent money on?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.