Home
NBA Live 15 News Post

Sources confirmed with Doug Veney (from GoodGameBro) yesterday that Scott O’Gallagher (AKA OG), Gameplay Designer for the NBA Live series is no longer with the team.

Could he be on his way to 2K Sports and the NBA 2K team?

I've reached out to a few members of the 2K Sports team to confirm. Either way, we wish him the best of luck, wherever he might land.

Game: NBA Live 15Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 13 - View All
NBA Live 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Playboy™ @ 06/25/14 07:07 PM
if true hopefully he gives em ideas how to design arenas in 2k i love the arenas in nba live

# 22 nick_sr @ 06/25/14 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz GoRiLlAz
Have you guys seen his Twitter Bio it still says he works for EA and lives in Orlando! Interesting..
a lot of ppl don't change their bios for awhile.

# 23 Rams_3 @ 06/25/14 11:01 PM
Hope everything works out for dude.

# 24 Ermolli @ 06/26/14 12:53 AM
I don't know how this will affect Live 15 or future installments but I expected more from this O'Gallagher led Live team with Live 14. It rubbed me the wrong way some of his attitude, the "Nerf Hoop" call to anyone who didn't play or liked Live 14 and how defensive he was with "his" game; maybe Live will be good without him or maybe not (hopefully the first one), time will tell.

# 25 CoreySA @ 06/26/14 02:14 AM
As someone who has spent a lot of time with NBA Live over the past few years, I feel like some of the comments in this thread need a bit of guidance in regards to the situation.

I worked with Scott since day one on NBA Live 13 before its cancellation, and have had numerous conversations with him, and there is no denying his intelligence on the game of basketball. Look, I can tell you first hand that Scott thought Basketball first, not video games first or EA/2K first. He's a basketball head, and his ideals and motivations would have mimicked what any "sim" basketball player wanted to see in their games. While I don't have intimate knowledge of what he tried to improve in the game, I can tell you his intentions were to create an authentic experience, but you also have to realize he joined the team under dire circumstances, in the midst of NBA Live 13's cancellation. He wouldn't have had a say in that title and my guess is he tried to add as much as he could to Live 14, but realize that he isn't the creative designer either. He wasn't in a leadership role, and therefore I think it's unfair to pin any blame on him. As a gameplay designer, you share as many ideas as you can, but ultimately it's not your decision what is placed in a game and what is not. Sure, he was the voice of the game last year, but that's because he understands the game of basketball front to back, not because he was in charge of the title.

As for what happened, I'm just taking the "wait and see" approach, as I feel like the speculation as to why he left will never be fully clear. Sometimes people just want a change, or sometimes they're looking for more. Who knows. What I do know, is that OG would have brought his expertise to the table because I saw those interactions take place on numerous levels. If he did leave, or joined the competition, he'll end up in something basketball related because it's in his blood, and wherever he ends up, they'll be much better for it. There was a tall mountain to climb after the Live 13 cancellation (please just trust me on this one), and OG & co. put in a lot of work to fix that mess.

As for NBA Live 14, let's be clear, it didn't live up to expectation, we all know that, and there is a huge amount of pressure on NBA Live 15 to deliver the goods. Let's be honest, we've had one good NBA Live game in 10 years. That's unacceptable no matter who's on board, so let's hope that we get that product this year. As for this, NBA Live 15 is coming with or without him, and if he's moved on, then I'll be excited to see where he ends up and what he can do with that opportunity.

# 26 Gramps91 @ 06/26/14 07:15 AM
This is interesting. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing though, depends on what he was responsible for.

# 27 seanhazz1 @ 06/26/14 09:17 AM
How can EA expect to fight for the NBA video game title, if they can't keep their innovations and design talent in house? (Wang, OG) I expect to see something from NBA LIVE in the next 2K. I am hopeful for LIVE 15, but this is a bigger move for 2K, which sorely needs better ideas in their series, IMO.

# 28 loosey101 @ 06/26/14 10:00 AM
Corey, thanks for the post, very informative. I think we all want 15 to succeed, we love being able to choose which NBA game to play and have a hard to deciding because both bring something to the table. I guess when you put it like it makes me a little more concerned with the decision. Hopefully EA gets it together before October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 29 Daddy123 @ 06/26/14 11:31 AM
Scott OG is like Lebron of the NBA games community, he left NBA Live (Cavs/Kyrie cover) to join 2K(Heat/Lebron) cover.

# 30 NoTiCe_O @ 06/26/14 11:46 AM
That's Pretty Messed up of Scott OG if you ask me. Leaving is one thing, but leaving for 2k, that's just wrong. I guess it's Karma? From when EA stole Mike Wang?

Anyway, I just hope he's not over there Spilling every idea EA has for the Future to the 2k Devs so they can copy and try to make it look better and original. I Still think EA Has the tools to be an original Basketball title with the Physics engine, scanning technology, and all the other Shared systems within the Ignite.

Just kinda bugs me how every secret and plan they've had underwraps for a while now is at risk of exposure because one guy felt disgruntled "I'm Assuming". Just Hoping from here on out they put out a Team that is Dedicated to "NBA Live" full of creative, innovative, and basketball minded people.

# 31 nick_sr @ 06/26/14 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
That's Pretty Messed up of Scott OG if you ask me. Leaving is one thing, but leaving for 2k, that's just wrong. I guess it's Karma? From when EA stole Mike Wang?

Anyway, I just hope he's not over there Spilling every idea EA has for the Future to the 2k Devs so they can copy and try to make it look better and original. I Still think EA Has the tools to be an original Basketball title with the Physics engine, scanning technology, and all the other Shared systems within the Ignite.
Hi
Just kinda bugs me how every secret and plan they've had underwraps for a while now is at risk of exposure because one guy felt disgruntled "I'm Assuming". Just Hoping from here on out they put out a Team that is Dedicated to "NBA Live" full of creative, innovative, and basketball minded people.
Couldn't agree more. If he gives away information about what live is doing I think its a wrap for the live series. Og is a lot smarter than some than some of you guys think and I know his ideas would have hurt the other game in the future

# 32 loosey101 @ 06/26/14 12:03 PM
That's true, but hey, what if he tried to bring his ideas and higher ups shot them down? Pssh I love Live but if they used that EA corporate ladder bull**** and shut him down, I could understand if he brought those ideas to 2K.

# 33 RipCityAndy @ 06/26/14 01:07 PM
I always like listening to OG on Da Czar's podcasts/youtube videos. He has good insight into basketball and I really like hearing his opinions on the NBA game. But, in all honesty, I wasn't feeling his videos and other social interaction with Live. He always came across very flat and disinterested.

I was under the impression this happened a long time ago when I stopped seeing his involvement in the game.

Regardless, best of luck to him on his future endeavors.

# 34 JBulls @ 06/26/14 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
No one said he quit. For all we know he could've been let go.

# 35 nick_sr @ 06/26/14 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosey101
That's true, but hey, what if he tried to bring his ideas and higher ups shot them down? Pssh I love Live but if they used that EA corporate ladder bull**** and shut him down, I could understand if he brought those ideas to 2K.

Maybe es wanted to cater to the casuals like the other company and were not feeling Scott's idea's for the real ball Head's

# 36 BiggD @ 06/26/14 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLiveKing
Nothing wrong with that, but every game needs a balance between the two. You can play 2K arcade style, and simulation, it's built for both, and they have a ton of sliders. Live was mainly how they tuned the game for the users, so fans didn't really have a choice
spot on.... sliders/ability to edit the roster/CAP all need to be in live15. It creates a more personalized gaming experience

# 37 22cedric @ 06/29/14 12:56 PM
Sunday Conversation with Prime @OptimusP76 and @Virtual_FBaller speak on the departure of @ScottOGallagher from @EASPORTSNBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo5Yg-StALs

# 38 WTF @ 06/30/14 01:45 PM
That's just citing GoodGameBro.com. The original story.

# 39 nick_sr @ 06/30/14 02:18 PM
very disappointed! I do however understand that he has a family to take care of.

how do you 2k fans feel about og now?

# 40 tedus @ 06/30/14 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sr
very disappointed! I do however understand that he has a family to take care of.

how do you 2k fans feel about og now?
The problem is why EA can not keep their staff!! (paid or ??)
besides, I think the competition is not only for the game but also for the HR!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.