Home
News Post

Joe Montana tweeted this CG image of himself... Twice, for some reason... with the following hashtags.

Quote:
#youvewaitedlongenough #joemontanafootball16

He then followed it up with a bunch of pictures from the Legends of Candlestick flag football game, which featured retired players (see the full rosters here) with Joe Montana and Dan Marino quarterbacking the respective sides.

The image Montana tweeted doesn't really match up, does it? Could we get a Joe Montana Football 16 announcement in the coming days or is it just wishful thinking?

With the exclusive license still in the hands of EA, if a videogame version of Joe Montana Football does arrive, it won't have any current NFL player names, likeness, etc.

Maybe it will feature retired players, similar to All Pro Football 2K8? Maybe it's going to be a simple mobile game. Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Either way, if we do see a football game from Joe, with a 16 at the end of the tweet hashtag, we probably won't see it until 2015. Let's hope for the best.

If anything solid comes from this, we'll update everyone.

UPDATE: Thanks to jlfarris (via FaceMask), it does in fact look like a mobile game is in the works, utilizing Unreal Engine 4.

What are your thoughts?

screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view  screenshot gallery - Click to view
Member Comments
# 41 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 10/23/14 01:17 PM
Hashtag morethanarosterupadate. Brilliant.

# 42 RandyBass @ 10/23/14 10:48 PM
How about, #morethanjustamobilegame? Gaming sucks on mobile devices.

# 43 Branchurian @ 10/25/14 01:56 AM
Motion capture is a good sign that this may be bigger than expected mobile game. Don't want to get hyped up again, but would be great to see an alternative to EA's brand of football gamimg

# 44 mestevo @ 10/28/14 07:22 PM
This isn't that thread?

# 45 MajorSupreme @ 10/29/14 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
There are mobile games that employ motion capture, so that's not a new situation.

And not to dampen things, but that .gif is of a mocap test/demo. I wouldn't 100% expect the in-game animations to play that smoothly and it wouldn't be fair to expect that. That's not to say it's impossible because it certainly is possible, but it's important to understand the difference between seeing a single character animate in dead space versus the same character animating in a live environment surrounded by countless other resource taxing assets.

That said, seeing this and noticing a few items in that set, I'm becoming suspicious of who else is behind this, but in a good way.
You are the ultimate debby downer. We've had so much strife with Madden, just a bit of happiness would be nice. Just. A. Bit.

# 46 mestevo @ 10/29/14 10:51 AM
False hope isn't happiness.

# 47 mestevo @ 10/29/14 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLR101
What game mobile game motion cap? I serious doubt a company would waste money on motion capture for a mobile game.

Mobile soccer game using motion cap:

http://technical.ly/baltimore/2014/0...entertainment/

Boxing game boasting motion capture from real boxers:

http://www.whackit.co/mobile/real-boxing.html

A funded Kickstarter for a mobile-related motion capture suite:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nted-dance-app

That's with just a quick search, I'm sure if I spent more than 30 seconds on Google I could find more.

# 48 CM Hooe @ 10/31/14 01:58 PM
The problem that they (whatever studio is behind this game) are going to run into - if this is still just a mobile game - is the low amount of RAM on mobile devices. Even the newest toys - the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, and the newest iPads - only have 1GB of RAM. While that's double of the XBOX 360 and PS3, that's far less than what's available on the PS4 (8GB), XBOX One (effectively 5GB, but 8GB total), and even Wii U (2GB). Android tablets fare better to this end, the best ones nowadays seeing as much as 3GB RAM, but it's still a major limiting factor in asset-intensive games.

In short, everything - the textures, the meshes, the audio, the animations - is going to end up getting compressed if lots of assets are needed at runtime, which while ultimately dependent on how the game is written is absolutely the case in a football game speaking high-level. It won't look as fluid as what's in the clip above, most certainly.

# 49 MajorSupreme @ 10/31/14 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
That assessment is totally inaccurate, and honestly, ridiculous. I had no idea that speaking logically was somehow negative.

I've been supportive of this from day one, before you even knew it existed, and unlike most I don't care if it's mobile, I will still be supporting it. Will you?
Whoa there, Defensive. I cracked a joke and I'm now inferior? Bet your aunt's oatmeal cookies I'll support it.

# 50 zzcoolj21 @ 12/04/14 02:40 PM
HE just re-tweeted this a couple minutes ago...

https://twitter.com/ThatSportsGamer/...46052851302400
#BreakTheInternet

# 51 zzcoolj21 @ 12/04/14 02:55 PM
alright let me get the first one in then

# 52 mestevo @ 12/04/14 02:57 PM
Might want to look at the context. That's a Photoshop he did a while ago I think. Click the link and read just how much they know.

# 53 zzcoolj21 @ 12/04/14 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Might want to look at the context. That's a Photoshop he did a while ago I think. Click the link and read just how much they know.
Joe Montana wouldn't give attention to the picture if it wasn't real or had meaning.

# 54 Greenblood60 @ 12/05/14 06:52 PM
Quote:
Its funny how everyone wants a new 2k football game but we are the only 3 posting about this.

Mods or Steve can you guys get some confirmation on the picture that is posted on twitter from the 2k guys.
Seriously, why aren't people freaking out right now ?

People have only been wishing, hoping, or being warned/banned for bringing it up in the wrong forum, for the last seven years.

# 55 Branchurian @ 12/05/14 07:20 PM
Quiet before the storm gentlemen, after the debacle & speculation we all went thru @ the E3 conference earlier in the year, only for it not to be true. I'm sure everyone is watching with crossed fingers and bended knees that this holds true, once we get some concrete info or gameplay the shytestorm will begin. Hopefully the next couple days will reveal our answer....

# 56 Greenblood60 @ 12/05/14 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branchurian
Quiet before the storm gentlemen, after the debacle & speculation we all went thru @ the E3 conference earlier in the year, only for it not to be true. I'm sure everyone is watching with crossed fingers and bended knees that this holds true, once we get some concrete info or gameplay the shytestorm will begin. Hopefully the next couple days will reveal our answer....
This might be different though. We didn't have anything to go on with the E3 debacle but pure spectulation. We Joe Montana tweeting about Joe Montana football 16. We have video of Joe Montana doing motion capture, and then we have a Joe Montana 16 photo with a 2k logo.

# 57 charter04 @ 12/05/14 08:09 PM
I'm one of those that has followed this thread and am very intrigued by that tweet. Just don't want to get my hopes up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 58 strawberryshortcake @ 12/06/14 04:34 PM
Quote:
Its funny how everyone wants a new 2k football game but we are the only 3 posting about this.

Mods or Steve can you guys get some confirmation on the picture that is posted on twitter from the 2k guys.
Been following this thread ever since it popped up, but just decided not to post in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Because that clown reported from E3 last year that he "was absolutely sure" 2K was gonna be revealing a new football game and it never happened.

I'm not getting excited like that again until I know for sure.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I get that. I'd like to see more than one pic though. If it's a mobile game I won't be too excited due to the limitations..
This. But, it'll be the first ever mobile game that I'll finally buy if it comes to fruition. Yes, first ever mobile game purchase. I guess I'll jump on the hype train.

# 59 mestevo @ 12/06/14 06:13 PM
Quote:
After all these years do you guys think Joe Montana would license out his likeness for just a mobile game.
Sure, would go along with the fantasy football game he put his name on.

# 60 mestevo @ 12/10/14 04:22 PM
Quote:
The guy who posted it was prolly asked to do that by somebody in Montana's camp
The guy who posted it created it as a joke in MS Paint, as he said in the previously linked Twitter conversation. He originally posted it in October - https://twitter.com/ThatSportsGamer/...05725729726464

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.