Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

2K has announced Pharrell Williams will curate the soundtrack for NBA 2K15. The full soundtrack will be released later this summer. Billboard has stated songs from System of a Down and Strafe would be included and 2K confirmed it will be the largest soundtrack to date for the franchise.

Read the full press release below.

Grammy Award Winner Pharrell Williams to Curate NBAŽ 2K15 Soundtrack

Creative mogul and entertainment visionary to hand-select the most extensive and musically diverse soundtrack in NBA 2K history

2K today announced a new collaboration with internationally-renowned artist and producer Pharrell Williams to curate the most extensive and unique soundtrack compilation in NBA 2K franchise history for NBAŽ 2K15, the next installment of the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*. The partnership brings together one of music’s most creative minds with one of the most successful entertainment properties of the last decade.

“It was a cool experience. I tried to curate songs that were diverse but yet still proved to be motivational to gamers,” said Pharrell. “It was important to me that the music complemented the on-court action of NBA basketball in NBA 2K15. I hope everyone enjoys it.”

A renowned visionary across music, fashion, and design, Pharrell has served as a pop-culture force since his days as a founding member of N.E.R.D and the Neptunes to his latest venture with multi-media creative collective i am OTHER. His work includes producing tracks for some of the biggest albums of the decade, such as Kendrick Lamar’s “Good Kid, M.A.A.D City” and Frank Ocean’s “Channel Orange,” as well as hit singles "Happy," “Blurred Lines” with Robin Thicke and “Get Lucky” with Daft Punk.

“Pharrell’s passion and reputation as a visionary producer and expertise from working with the NBA will be evident in the largest and most eclectic NBA 2K soundtrack ever,” said Alfie Brody, Vice President of Marketing for 2K. “We really listened to our fans’ feedback on how we could improve their experience from a music standpoint, and we’re confident Pharrell’s collaboration in NBA 2K15 will impress players as much as it’s impressed us.”

Pharrell’s soundtrack selections will be revealed later this summer. Follow @NBA2K on Twitter and use the hashtag #YourTimeHasCome for the latest NBA 2K15 news.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K studio, NBA 2K15 is not yet rated by the ESRB. NBA 2K15 is scheduled for release on October 7 in North America, and on October 10 internationally for the PlayStationŽ3 and PlayStationŽ4 computer entertainment systems, the Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment system and Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft; and Windows PC.

NBA 2K15 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K15 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 spankdatazz22 @ 07/16/14 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
Why? 2k has s habits of announcing announcements , and this clearly irritates more than excites their users

Now we have information as 'most songs ever' over shadowed by ''I hope happy isn't on that list''

How could this had been avoided? Just release more complete information, u don't have it now, then wait until you do and for gosh sake don't release an announcement about .''We have awesome announcement coming soon'' so thank you 2k for not taking that route with this one
Or maybe the some in the community shouldn't flip out over the possible inclusion of a single song that likely could be disabled if it were included and you didn't like it. I think most people could've cared less if Happy was on the soundtrack or not.

These things are relatively trivial. Some are going to try to make mountains out of molehills regardless of anything. People shouldn't need every.little.thing. explicitly explained to them or they're going to go off on their own tangent - imo (not saying you need it btw - just saying)

# 82 PPerfect_CJ @ 07/16/14 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
Steve tweeted that Happy WILL NOT be on 2k15 soundtrack 👍😃
Thank the good Lord!

# 83 PPerfect_CJ @ 07/16/14 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
So, the main question(s) I have is:

Can I wear his hat in MyCareer? And will it be free to wear?
Nothing's free in this game. I was afraid that if Happy was on the soundtrack, it'd cost 5,000 VC to turn it off.

# 84 kolanji @ 07/16/14 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Or maybe the some in the community shouldn't flip out over the possible inclusion of a single song that likely could be disabled if it were included and you didn't like it. I think most people could've cared less if Happy was on the soundtrack or not.

These things are relatively trivial. Some are going to try to make mountains out of molehills regardless of anything. People shouldn't need every.little.thing. explicitly explained to them or they're going to go off on their own tangent - imo (not saying you need it btw - just saying)

Ok fair enough, but both side of the coin is to blame here, if you can somewhat agree with me on that...2k marketing can use some work though... and we can be a bit nit picky on here..soooo. Yea efforts on both sides would be noice (in Da_Czar's voice)

# 85 El_Poopador @ 07/16/14 03:05 PM
Quote:

I don't think people are necessarily annoyed by the news itself, but moreso by what 2k thinks is newsworthy. Why bother announcing who is picking the soundtrack? Like you said, it's trivial, so why even say anything about it?

# 86 spankdatazz22 @ 07/16/14 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
2k marketing can use some work though... and we can be a bit nit picky on here..soooo. Yea efforts on both sides would be noice (in Da_Czar's voice)
Agreed on both counts

# 87 spankdatazz22 @ 07/16/14 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I don't think people are necessarily annoyed by the news itself, but moreso by what 2k thinks is newsworthy. Why bother announcing who is picking the soundtrack? Like you said, it's trivial, so why even say anything about it?
Shouldn't need to be explained but...

What's trivial in my opinion is the people saying they're going to poke their ears out if a particular song is included on the soundtrack. There's no sense in anyone getting too bent out of shape over the inclusion of one song, particularly when songs can be disabled so you don't have to listen to it. Even in the years where people say the soundtracks were great, I'm sure it's not like every single song was loved/could be listened to over and over.

The news that Pharrell's doing the soundtrack isn't some non-announcement. And they're obviously going to leverage the news from a marketing standpoint. In the bigger scheme of things the soundtrack isn't going to make or break the game, but it's a cool addition and a nice get for them. Getting a big name producer to do the soundtrack isn't trivial.

# 88 El_Poopador @ 07/16/14 04:11 PM
Quote:
Shouldn't need to be explained but...

What's trivial in my opinion is the people saying they're going to poke their ears out if a particular song is included on the soundtrack. There's no sense in anyone getting too bent out of shape over the inclusion of one song, particularly when songs can be disabled so you don't have to listen to it. Even in the years where people say the soundtracks were great, I'm sure it's not like every single song was loved/could be listened to over and over.
This I agree with. Turn the song off if you don't like it. No reason to complain about that.

Quote:
The news that Pharrell's doing the soundtrack isn't some non-announcement. And they're obviously going to leverage the news from a marketing standpoint. In the bigger scheme of things the soundtrack isn't going to make or break the game, but it's a cool addition and a nice get for them. Getting a big name producer to do the soundtrack isn't trivial.
It would be a big deal if he was creating music from scratch solely for the game, but, essentially, all he's doing is picking songs to be put in the game. That's not news.

# 89 spankdatazz22 @ 07/16/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
It would be a big deal if he was creating music from scratch solely for the game, but, essentially, all he's doing is picking songs to be put in the game. That's not news.
You're saying it's neither a big deal nor worthy of being a news release at all? We're talking about a videogame. It's news to get a big time Grammy winning producer to help with or do the soundtrack imo. He has immediate name recognition, is a widely respected artist, and is very talented. Given his diverse background, it's possible he has knowledge of/access to music that wouldn't appear on most people's spectrums.

2K didn't say it was a big deal, just that it was news about the game. I think it's silly if you're trying to infer they shouldn't have even done a news release for this information. If a game had a famous producer like John Williams do the score and/or help with the soundtrack, they shouldn't bother to announce it because it's not really news? (not that I'm comparing John Williams to Pharrell). From a marketing standpoint alone it makes sense.

# 90 Blzer @ 07/16/14 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluecows
Happy about Pharell making the soundtrack and the fact that it will be the largest soundtrack to date but if "Happy" is a song in 2k I WILL stab myself in the ears with the 2k15 disc. I can't listen to that song anymore
I'm quoting you on this.

# 91 Jano @ 07/16/14 09:11 PM
One thing I'm expecting from this soundtrack is diversity with Pharrell curating I think that will happen. The fact that he has System on their has me excited enough.

Will be interesting to see what they roll out with for this one.

# 92 Taer @ 07/17/14 04:26 AM
Quote:
... It's news to get a big time Grammy winning producer to help with or do the soundtrack imo.
You are right - it is awesome news for musical related titles and for those games with a music focus. For 2k, I feel it is more of a meh. Not because Pharrell is not all of that in the music world but because a genius in the musical world and a culturally influential heavy-weight does not necessarily translate into a better 2K NBA experience.

Given that said the following is well said:
Quote:
... Given his diverse background, it's possible he has knowledge of/access to music that wouldn't appear on most people's spectrums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
One thing I'm expecting from this soundtrack is diversity with Pharrell curating I think that will happen. The fact that he has System on their has me excited enough.

Will be interesting to see what they roll out with for this one.
Diversity is the one constant criticism that was leveled at against 2k for the past few years - addressing that directly by having one of the most diverse producers in music involved is exciting.

Now, I just hope all the promise and potential is translated to execution and delivery - I had the same high hopes for Jay-Z but those were dashed upon the rocks of reality once 2k13 was released.

As long as the execution and delivery of Pharell's diversity is brought into the final product I think this will be a potential classic 2k soundtrack.

# 93 El_Poopador @ 07/17/14 07:35 AM
Quote:
You're saying it's neither a big deal nor worthy of being a news release at all? We're talking about a videogame. It's news to get a big time Grammy winning producer to help with or do the soundtrack imo. He has immediate name recognition, is a widely respected artist, and is very talented. Given his diverse background, it's possible he has knowledge of/access to music that wouldn't appear on most people's spectrums.

2K didn't say it was a big deal, just that it was news about the game. I think it's silly if you're trying to infer they shouldn't have even done a news release for this information. If a game had a famous producer like John Williams do the score and/or help with the soundtrack, they shouldn't bother to announce it because it's not really news? (not that I'm comparing John Williams to Pharrell). From a marketing standpoint alone it makes sense.
I'm not saying it's not noteworthy, but it's not newsworthy in and of itself. If they released that announcement along with the complete soundtrack, then fine. But to just release the "news" that he's going to be putting the soundtrack together isn't really news at all.

Like what was said above, if the game he was curating was centered around music, then it's absolutely a big deal, and deserves recognition by itself. But this is a basketball game.

# 94 BluFu @ 07/17/14 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Cool.

Didn't see why it was a big deal anyway,
frequently played radio songs shouldn't be on a game you spend a lot of time on..

# 95 spankdatazz22 @ 07/17/14 10:54 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying it's not noteworthy, but it's not newsworthy in and of itself. If they released that announcement along with the complete soundtrack, then fine. But to just release the "news" that he's going to be putting the soundtrack together isn't really news at all.

Like what was said above, if the game he was curating was centered around music, then it's absolutely a big deal, and deserves recognition by itself. But this is a basketball game.
*sigh* I'm really not qualified to comment on how marketing works/how best to market information but this is getting way too petty. If they put the songs that are going to be on the soundtrack it constitutes a news release in your eyes, since they didn't it's not news at all. I kind of see what you're saying but the need to put at least *some* negative spin on them doing the simple act of announcing Pharrell will be doing the soundtrack is ridiculous.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see why things have to be parsed to this degree. They also released the actual cover - does THAT constitute news?

Or is it it's okay to mention the cover as news, but not okay to mention Pharrell.
If you're not going to list the music at the same time.
Even though his name is on the cover.
Or maybe that makes it okay.

It's a shame if they actually had to think about this stuff before releasing information.

# 96 DorianDonP @ 07/17/14 12:53 PM
I wish they would let Rza put together a soundtrack.

# 97 Jano @ 07/17/14 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I wish they would let Rza put together a soundtrack.
He's definitely worthy of something like this. I would bet Rza would have a great selection of music.

Sadly tho it ain't the 90's so he won't pull in exposure like Pharrell will.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

# 98 dfjycxiao @ 07/19/14 02:34 AM
Fan or not Pharrell Williams puts in work and puts out good music for himself and ALOT of music artist. Nice choice 2K!

# 99 Daddy123 @ 07/19/14 08:22 PM

# 100 joshtressiete @ 07/19/14 11:10 PM
As long as "Happy" isn't in the game. I'm fine.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.