Home
NBA Live 15 News Post

EGM has posted a lengthy interview with NBA Live 15 executive producer Sean O'Brien. O'Brien takes a candid approach about last year's game and his hopes from this year. Here are some highlights:
  • (On competing with an established 2K brand) "That’s part of it. You need the right people, the right talent to make a good product in anything—not just games—and I think we’re showing with NBA Live 15 that this is more in line with what people expect from the NBA Live brand. We’re ready to take on the fight. We have a different identity and are not creating a “me too” basketball game that copies 2K, not creating the same feature set or mechanics."
  • (On the low review scores for Live 14) "We put that out there—establish a baseline with what we did with NBA Live 14 and then show and build confidence in people based on what we do and deliver against it. As we learned this past year, we learned it in a good way, that we promised a bunch of things. We said that this wasn’t our best effort and asked people to bear with us and that we’re going to prove to them on this journey that we’ll make the game better. It easy to say that, of course, and it’s harder to do it, but I’d put up what we did post-launch with 14 against what any other sports game has ever done post-launch in the history of sports gaming."
  • (On filling creative holes) "Without getting into names or anything, I think we lacked a bit of creative leadership. We did fill those holes, though, as I brought down some guys that I used to work with previously, which made me feel better."
  • (On yearly development cycle) "That’s one of the most challenging things. Knowing that we have a list of work can, at times, be overwhelming. But you got to stick to the plan, because I’d love to just snap my fingers and hand you the game I’ve got in my head. Obviously, I can’t do that, so it’s both the frustrating and challenging thing about being in sports-game development.
  • (On if EA has closed the gap with 2K) "It’s hard to know for sure without knowing what 2K has done this year. Taking that into consideration, at the very least, visually, I can say yes. I think when we put our two games up side by side, we’ll absolutely be in the ballpark. I think there’s a different style between the two—like, if you look at a 2K game, I think there’s only two different body types. 2K tends to go for more of a heroic look, big feet and big shoes. They use their shaders a bit differently, so it’s a little more of a different artistic style, whereas we go for more of a photorealistic EA Sports style. So, that’ll be a plus or minus depending on your own personal preference."
  • (On Gameplay vs. 2K) "I think that, from the gameplay side of things, we’re going to offer something different. Their animation is so strong and looks so good. That’s the one area where I’m curious to see how we stack up this year, but I do think that unless they’ve completely changed their approach, I think our game will be more responsive. What I mean by that is, I think you’ll feel more in control of what’s happening. The action, the input on your controller, what your expectation is, we feel that’s a point of differentiation that we can take advantage of."
  • (On how short the leash is with Executives) "I agree with you completely. When I came back to EA—and Andrew’s the guy who actually wanted me to come back before he got promoted to his big-boy job—I was just grilling Andrew on what the expectations were, what the support would be like, and I told him if he expected us to turn this around instantly, it wasn’t going to happen. I wanted to make sure there was the support internally, as a company, that they believed in this category, and they did."
Be sure to read the full interview and let us know your thoughts!

Game: NBA Live 15Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 13 - View All
NBA Live 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DaWolf @ 08/07/14 04:38 PM
" If I'm expecting that guy to stay still because I'm going to the basket, but then he starts cutting at the same time I do, then there is four people right there and you get this crowded-kids-soccer-sort-of-looking game, and then no option to penetrate and kick."

Nice that he mentions this. It drives me crazy in 2K.

# 22 thedream2k13 @ 08/07/14 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWolf
" If I'm expecting that guy to stay still because I'm going to the basket, but then he starts cutting at the same time I do, then there is four people right there and you get this crowded-kids-soccer-sort-of-looking game, and then no option to penetrate and kick."

Nice that he mentions this. It drives me crazy in 2K.
YESS I HATE THIS ! Its even worse when you post up and the other big runs under the rim bringing extra defender to you.

# 23 bran9413 @ 08/07/14 05:36 PM
While I'm excited that they're fixing the gameplay and improved the graphics drastically, I'm extremely frustrated that they're basically not touching any of the game modes. I'm a dynasty mode guy and the reason why I didn't really play it last year because it was so bland. I was hoping they would've added at least added some new things to Dynasty mode to make it more enjoyable but I guess I have to wait until next year for that smh. Still buying the game by the way but it just frustrated me to read that as someone who is a big NBA Live supporter.

# 24 WTF @ 08/07/14 06:03 PM
I don't think it'll be identical, I just don't think it'll be a massive overhaul.

# 25 The 24th Letter @ 08/07/14 06:25 PM
I'm grateful for the focus on smoothing out animations...no more exorcist euro steps i'm hoping....

I am more concerned about the context they're in...the contact at the rim animations could be subpar, but if they connect at about a 90% clip I'm good,..

It was about 50% last year...

# 26 Jakeness23 @ 08/07/14 06:40 PM
He was spot on about saying 2K only has 2 body types. You're either a body builder or a fat slob. Both can still make significant jumps aesthetically.

# 27 El_Poopador @ 08/07/14 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I actually think he looks like latrell spreewell... and the jersey fit makes him look either stocky or fat because his shape should be a V shaped form from the waist up instead of box like shaped.

Otherwise it's a good still.
I think it has to do with the torso being too long. But you're right; I think it should be slightly V-shaped, at least for Lillard, when compared to the real life screen.

# 28 TyShawn @ 08/08/14 08:20 AM
One cement that didn't sit with me the bright way was the kick starter analogy. I think I understand where Sean is coming from but it's off. I'm part of a kick starter and I know up front if I give X I'll get Z. In this case EA and Sean included is saying give is 60.00 plus tax a year for the right to play our checkpoint betas. Last year we found out the hard way, this year I will not.

Yes the scanns look nice but not 60.00 nice also the change control sound good on the interview but it's a wait and see. My biggest disappointment as an older player is I solely rely on dynasty mode and to know there was no focus on that part of the game was a slap in the face to me. I can understand not doing a complete overhaul, but to have that mode in this lifeless nonimmersive state it's in I once again can't find myself giving 60.00 for this years beta checkpoint.

I want sean and ea to do well but the one thing Live has to do well at least for me is what NCAA 12 did find that balance of good gameplay yet draw me into that world for 1-3 hours of my day. The days of buying a game just to play along with friends has long past me by, and from another posting it's more focus on new (revenue generating) features that will get pushed ahead of the one I personally care about.

My last quick point if ea and sean would want to discount all the beta one customer to take part in beta two then I am all for supporting the cause that's more in line with a kickstarter project or at least release the level contrabutsion bar so I know what the rewards for my monitary givings will be upfront.

# 29 loosey101 @ 08/08/14 01:38 PM
It's funny, last year every one complained about how the game looked. The finally fixed that, worked on the animations and did this all in 11 months and now people are upset that they only corrected a couple things in Dynasty. I'm a huge dynasty fan but I'm okay with this news, change a couple things but this year was clearly about making it look and feel next-gen. Next year sounds like it will be a good one for game modes.

# 30 boston3420 @ 08/08/14 09:27 PM
I'm actually glad that Live 15 focused on improving the gameplay and the graphics and everything else before game modes. How fun are those modes when a game doesn't play or look the way you want it to? I think Live 15 will succeed this year and 16 will just be even better when they add online team play. Gamescom is next week so we will have to wait until then to see some more. I'm excited. The answers that were given were with confidence and the truth. Hopefully it's all worth it at the end.

# 31 nick_sr @ 08/09/14 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston3420
I'm actually glad that Live 15 focused on improving the gameplay and the graphics and everything else before game modes. How fun are those modes when a game doesn't play or look the way you want it to? I think Live 15 will succeed this year and 16 will just be even better when they add online team play. Gamescom is next week so we will have to wait until then to see some more. I'm excited. The answers that were given were with confidence and the truth. Hopefully it's all worth it at the end.
you do make a great point about the modes not being fun if gameplay is bad. lets hope I don't have to spend close to or over 300 dollars to get lebron in ultimate this year lol. i pray they get rid of the accelerated clock iin live season

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.