Home
The Golf Club News Post

The Golf Club is set to tee off for Xbox One and PC on August 19th for $34.99. The PlayStation 4 version arrives later this month, pending certification approval.

Read the full press release below.

“THE GOLF CLUB” TEES OFF NEXT GEN GOLFING THIS AUGUST

HB Studios Announces Full Retail Release Date For Golf Simulator

Canadian video game developer, HB Studios, today announced that its golf simulation, The Golf Club will launch on Xbox One through Xbox Live on August 19, 2014. The Golf Club will also leave early access for a full retail release on Windows PC through digital download distribution service Steam the same day. The PlayStation 4 version of The Golf Club will launch later this month pending certification approval. Credited with making some of the most critically acclaimed sport franchises on the EA SPORTS label, HB Studios has developed the first golf title to bring procedurally generated courses to next gen console. The Golf Club is a highly realistic game that allows players to fully customize their golfing experience by creating and playing the course of their dreams with the built-in Greg Norman Course Designer.

“We are incredibly excited to give golf fans the game they’ve always wanted,” said Anthony Kyne, Producer at HB Studios. “No other golf game provides players with this level of customization and sophistication in course design on PC and next generation consoles. We’ve worked extremely hard to get The Golf Club ready for launch, so it’s really rewarding to officially announce the launch date and share that with our fans.”

The Golf Club is a fully featured golfing experience where users can play against friends’ and rivals’ best rounds in turn-based/asynchronous competition modes enhanced by cloud-based technology. The game supports Tours & Tournaments, stroke play, match play, and 4-ball.

The Golf Club’s Greg Norman Course Designer allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses, which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme, terrain features, and number of holes. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new members of The Golf Club through the Message Center.

The game is due for worldwide release on Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC Windows platforms priced $34.99.

The Golf Club comes complete with three modes: stroke play, match play and 4-ball, no loading times between holes, and the course designer feature.

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 61 jrider99 @ 08/14/14 05:14 PM
Just redeemed my XB1 review code. Now I just have to wait until I get home from work tonight to download and hit the links. This is going to be a long night ...

# 62 Triggerfish @ 08/14/14 07:45 PM
Would luv it if i can get persimmon clubs! Also wonder if any discount if u buy it on both console systems.

# 63 mebby @ 08/14/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I really hope that we can use remote play for is PS4 folks. That would make it nice to be able to create courses on the go.
Dang!! Didn't even THINK about that. Sweet!

# 64 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/14/14 08:36 PM
Quote:
I really hope that we can use remote play for is PS4 folks. That would make it nice to be able to create courses on the go.
The only problem should be L2 and R2 for anything in the course creator. Using the Vita everything should work, just L2 and R2 may be problems because you have to use the touch pad for them.

# 65 Aggies7 @ 08/14/14 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
The only problem should be L2 and R2 for anything in the course creator. Using the Vita everything should work, just L2 and R2 may be problems because you have to use the touch pad for them.

That's a standard issue with it, but creating courses is slow paced and should have no problem using rear pad if R2/L2 is needed. I just didn't know if the compatibility is there to use remote play.

# 66 OnlookerDelay @ 08/14/14 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Heck guys, we might as well form a club, it looks like I'm going to be right in there with you! I know good and darn well I won't be able to resist the "buy" button when it appears on XBL, this coming Tuesday!

# 67 SinisterAlex @ 08/14/14 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
I am going to be making so many courses. Going to piss a lot of people off.
I'm going to be making more courses than I will playing courses.

Disappointed PS4 is delayed but we've waited this long, what's another couple weeks?

# 68 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/14/14 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Heck guys, we might as well form a club, it looks like I'm going to be right in there with you! I know good and darn well I won't be able to resist the "buy" button when it appears on XBL, this coming Tuesday!
Truth. I must resist though, I can't do it.

# 69 OnlookerDelay @ 08/14/14 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider99
Just redeemed my XB1 review code. Now I just have to wait until I get home from work tonight to download and hit the links. This is going to be a long night ...
Can't wait to read your impressions and later, your review (if it's linkable)! If you're tech savvy enough, I'm hoping you'll be able to tell whether it's using 4x MSAA, or not. My experimenting with the PC version, trying to replicate what the XB1 version *might* look like on my 55" Toshiba LCD showed me that 4xMSAA made a huge difference over 2xMSAA with The Golf Club. I think if HBS was able to pull this off with The Golf Club, it will have a lot of folks overlooking the lack of 1080p.

# 70 jrider99 @ 08/14/14 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
Can't wait to read your impressions and later, your review (if it's linkable)! If you're tech savvy enough, I'm hoping you'll be able to tell whether it's using 4x MSAA, or not. My experimenting with the PC version, trying to replicate what the XB1 version *might* look like on my 55" Toshiba LCD showed me that 4xMSAA made a huge difference over 2xMSAA with The Golf Club. I think if HBS was able to pull this off with The Golf Club, it will have a lot of folks overlooking the lack of 1080p.
Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm not the guy to give you that kind of technical breakdown...lol. I will definitely be serving up impressions, though, as long as the mods OK it.

I don't know if I'll actually get to play tonight -- work til midnight then an hour drive home -- but I'm certainly going to get it downloaded since I'll be up bright and early in the morning to take my kids to school. After that, it's a full day hitting the links!

# 71 rheller @ 08/14/14 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
Has there been any talk about equipment? Or will it just be generic???
Been playing Early Access since April...Generic clubs and clothing.

# 72 rheller @ 08/14/14 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter5
I've seen very little about this game, so forgive me if this is obvious one way or the other. Does anyone know how realistic the course designer is? Would I be able to make reasonable simulations of my local courses? I could see myself spending many hours designing my home course if that was the case.
It is possible. I have played a reasonable Augusta. It wasn't exact (greens, placement of some bunkers, ect.), but it was a good attempt. IMO, it's difficult to recreate courses (maybe this is by design), but it is easy to make unique courses from scratch.

# 73 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/15/14 07:43 AM
Quote:
That's a standard issue with it, but creating courses is slow paced and should have no problem using rear pad if R2/L2 is needed. I just didn't know if the compatibility is there to use remote play.
i thought everything booted, but it was a question of funtionality. I have only used remote play a couple times. So I was unaware if games refused to boot in remote play

# 74 jrider99 @ 08/15/14 08:16 AM
OK, some impressions from my first round. I'll post these here, but if they belong somewhere else, feel free to move them ...

- I can't get the speed right on putts. At all. I did better on the back nine, but that was only after several three and (ugh) four putts because I just couldn't consistently hit the ball with the pace I wanted. There's a definite learning curve.

- I really like how intuitive it is to use draw/fade to shape your shots. I was playing on one of the easy courses and played a perfect shot up into the wind that allowed me to reach a par-5 in two. I still bogeyed -- like I said, I haven't got the hang of putting -- but knowing I could put the ball where I wanted and be rewarded for hitting a good shot was a nice change.

- I like the minimalist approach to presentation. There's no commentary, no flashy overlays, no absurd celebrations from my avatar when he buries a putt. It feels much more like the classic golf sims I grew up playing on PC. And this is a very good thing.

- The graphics didn't blow me away -- there seemed to be a bit of screen tearing (I think that's the best way to describe it) -- but this could have also been a product of playing a round at 2 a.m. after having stared at a computer monitor for the previous 8 hours. I'm fixing to play another round in a few with fresh eyes, so we'll see if that helps. The frame rate was steady, though, and the courses themselves look great.

- I should also note that the first time I tried to play a round, the game wouldn't let me progress past the first tee. It didn't freeze, per se, as I could access all the menus and what not, but I couldn't move the aim cursor or swing my club. I had to restart the round and when I did, everything was smooth from that point on.

- All in all I really liked my first experience with The Golf Club. I didn't fool around with the course creator and the game's servers were down, so I couldn't try playing on a user-created course. Hopefully things come online later today and I can try that. But from a pure golf standpoint, it was just what I was hoping for.

# 75 greenegt @ 08/15/14 09:43 AM
Thanks for the impressions jrider99. I hope there's a day one patch in the works to clear up the few issues. Sounds like a lot of fun, though. Can't freaking wait to download this game!

# 76 bcruise @ 08/15/14 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider99
OK, some impressions from my first round. I'll post these here, but if they belong somewhere else, feel free to move them ...

- I can't get the speed right on putts. At all. I did better on the back nine, but that was only after several three and (ugh) four putts because I just couldn't consistently hit the ball with the pace I wanted. There's a definite learning curve.

- I really like how intuitive it is to use draw/fade to shape your shots. I was playing on one of the easy courses and played a perfect shot up into the wind that allowed me to reach a par-5 in two. I still bogeyed -- like I said, I haven't got the hang of putting -- but knowing I could put the ball where I wanted and be rewarded for hitting a good shot was a nice change.

- I like the minimalist approach to presentation. There's no commentary, no flashy overlays, no absurd celebrations from my avatar when he buries a putt. It feels much more like the classic golf sims I grew up playing on PC. And this is a very good thing.

- The graphics didn't blow me away -- there seemed to be a bit of screen tearing (I think that's the best way to describe it) -- but this could have also been a product of playing a round at 2 a.m. after having stared at a computer monitor for the previous 8 hours. I'm fixing to play another round in a few with fresh eyes, so we'll see if that helps. The frame rate was steady, though, and the courses themselves look great.

- I should also note that the first time I tried to play a round, the game wouldn't let me progress past the first tee. It didn't freeze, per se, as I could access all the menus and what not, but I couldn't move the aim cursor or swing my club. I had to restart the round and when I did, everything was smooth from that point on.

- All in all I really liked my first experience with The Golf Club. I didn't fool around with the course creator and the game's servers were down, so I couldn't try playing on a user-created course. Hopefully things come online later today and I can try that. But from a pure golf standpoint, it was just what I was hoping for.
Nice review, sounds a lot like what I've been playing for the past couple months.

For the screen tearing, try enabling Vertical Sync from inside the game. It should bring the screen tearing under control. I mentioned a while back that I had struggled with this game's framerate throughout Early Access, but really it was probably just the tearing that I was having issues with. I can pull a pretty steady 30-40 FPS with that option now, which is plenty playable - and it doesn't bother me so much now that they've said 60 FPS wasn't their goal.

# 77 bluengold34_OS @ 08/15/14 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Nice review, sounds a lot like what I've been playing for the past couple months.

For the screen tearing, try enabling Vertical Sync from inside the game. It should bring the screen tearing under control. I mentioned a while back that I had struggled with this game's framerate throughout Early Access, but really it was probably just the tearing that I was having issues with. I can pull a pretty steady 30-40 FPS with that option now, which is plenty playable - and it doesn't bother me so much now that they've said 60 FPS wasn't their goal.
It does - turned it on last night(XBox One version) and it did help quite a bit.

# 78 jrider99 @ 08/15/14 10:26 AM
Thanks guys, I'll definitely enable the Vertical Sync and see what happens.

Played a couple more rounds this morning and did much better with my putting stroke. It's still not completely dialed in, but at least now I think I understand what I'm doing wrong as far as distance is concerned. Reading the greens is still a challenge, though, which is a good thing. And the step up from an easy course to a hard one is substantial, as least it was for me.

I really hope they get their servers online soon because all I can do right now is play single rounds because the game needs to be online to access the tour and tournament modes.

Hey bluengold34_OS, have you been able to get online or is it just me?

# 79 kehlis @ 08/15/14 10:32 AM
Are you going to do a review Bob? Really interested to hear more about gameplay and difficulty of longer shots.

Always hated how easy it was to hit straight shots in TW.

# 80 Gerg04 @ 08/15/14 10:32 AM
Eh..unless you guy's are raving about this I'm kinda over it. Spring would have been perfect with the golf season starting and lack of titles (ps4 particularly). There's just too many game's coming out now.

That said I hope they do good and continue making adjustments and create a quality product. I'd definitely be in for the second installment or whatever may be available spring time next year.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.