Home
NHL 15 News Post

EA Sports has just released two NHL 15 gameplay videos, which shows off the gameplay, new camera angles (Dynamic Low, Dynamic Medium, and Dynamic High), commentary and more.

Watch the embedded videos above or click here for video #1 and here for video #2.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Money99 @ 08/17/14 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 eighty 5
In video 2 at 1:26 there is a collision between a forward and defender by the side of the net, the puck spills whilst they are on the ice trying to get up. The fellow D man skates over to get it whilst a winger who is closer does nothing but wander around above the slot to the middle of the ice. By the time the D man gets to it the human attacking forward is up and stick lifts to get the puck back. The non human controlled ai just don't seem to be much help. I reckon against the CPU this sort of thing will happen again and again and again like always.
That might be my biggest gripe about EA's hockey game. Your CPU controlled teammates are just way, way, way too passive.
They refuse to attack. They barely even attempt a poke check. But if a human has control of the puck, the CPU goes gangbusters after you. I just wish the CPU attacked every opposing player with the same level of gusto.
It's not just attacking the puck carrier, it's also keeping the puck inside the zone.
I've played quite a few games the last couple of weeks and I can't help but notice how the CPU will shoot it's own dog in order to keep the puck in the offensive zone. There are times it appears I was able to clear the puck, but the CPU does an amazing job keeping it in.
Meanwhile, when I'm in the other end, my CPU controlled D-men lounge around the redline and look like they'd rather do anything but keep the puck in.

EA promised that they rebuilt the AI from the ground-up. I really hope that's true.
Because simply copying and pasting the same AI from NHL14 into NHL15 doesn't constitute as rebuilding from scratch.

# 102 Dolphins88 @ 08/18/14 09:23 AM
Ya gameplay is where it's at for me.. 2k3 doesn't have near the graphics or presentation as this or 14 but it is still better to play bc it's more realistic gameplay. Each team and player played differently and there was better neutral zone play and board play. Making the game wide open and adding dekes makes it more arcade like.

# 103 18 eighty 5 @ 08/18/14 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
That might be my biggest gripe about EA's hockey game. Your CPU controlled teammates are just way, way, way too passive.
They refuse to attack. They barely even attempt a poke check. But if a human has control of the puck, the CPU goes gangbusters after you. I just wish the CPU attacked every opposing player with the same level of gusto.
It's not just attacking the puck carrier, it's also keeping the puck inside the zone.
I've played quite a few games the last couple of weeks and I can't help but notice how the CPU will shoot it's own dog in order to keep the puck in the offensive zone. There are times it appears I was able to clear the puck, but the CPU does an amazing job keeping it in.
Meanwhile, when I'm in the other end, my CPU controlled D-men lounge around the redline and look like they'd rather do anything but keep the puck in.

EA promised that they rebuilt the AI from the ground-up. I really hope that's true.
Because simply copying and pasting the same AI from NHL14 into NHL15 doesn't constitute as rebuilding from scratch.
Spot on Money. Been playing a season with NYR and it is just awful to experience it. Kills the game and makes it a tedious thing to endure rather than it being a fun time playing a video game. Why is that? Because hockey is a contest, it is competitive and to play with such a tilt going on against you is d-umb! Then I finally get the puck and score but it isnt even satisfying because the game locks you out of the real contest. The contest isnt putting it in the net, its also winning the battles, scrums, fights for the loose puck but this game robs that experience and only rewards goals in net. For those who evaluate how good they are by goals scored fair enough but for those who want to experience hockey it just isnt satisfying. Let us engage in the bloody war with the same weapons in the trenches, not just dangles and dekes on break aways!!

# 104 munky1307 @ 08/18/14 11:23 AM
I see A LOT of dekes. I hope only more skilled players can pull off all these dekes. An enforcer shouldn't be using a deke move around guys.

And I second the needing more aggressive teammates. Drives me nuts.

Graphics look good though. Looking forward to seeing more.

# 105 born_bad @ 08/19/14 11:57 AM
I'm honestly a little surprised about all the positive feedback about the graphics. I wonder if people are talking about presentation? I agree the presentations looks to have made a nice step forward. The actual on ice graphics during gameplay, though? Maybe I'm not seeing it and I look forward to playing a demo in 1080p/60 FPS before passing too much judgement. However, when watching this clip, if you took out some of the presentation changes, muted the sound, put a gun to my head and asked me to accurately guess what year's version of NHL this was, I wouldn't feel to confident about guessing correctly. It looks a lot like the 360/PS3 graphics to me.

I guess I was hoping for a much bigger jump from last gen to this new gen, especially since they didn't release a game last year on the PS4/Xbox One. Player models don't seem nearly as impressive as something like NBA2k.

# 106 Earl1963 @ 08/19/14 02:48 PM
Are they going to fix that scoreboard turning on and off and back on again? It's also way to big.

Sent using a telephone

# 107 Pezell04x @ 08/19/14 04:15 PM
the opening presentation in video #2 was fantastic. It definitely had a feel like I was watching a game on NBC so kudos to EA for that. One thing that I caught right away was the blandness of what Doc/Edzo talked about in the opening. I know it needs to be vanilla so it can make sense when the Blues play the Blackhawks and the Islanders play the Panthers, but I expected a little more. Everything else? Eh.

The big hits still look a little off. The Wild goal in video #2 (Suter, I think) was last gen trash.

The worst thing about these videos was Doc's commentary, which was lackluster and didn't seem as natural as I thought it would be. Given the amount of times EA shoved Doc and Edzo down our throats, I thought they would have taken the time to make the commentary more seamless. I don't really want to bring up that indoor bouncy ball game made by the same guys who make a wrestling game, but that's the gold standard and I don't know if this game can touch it.

I am definitely okay going an ebay route, even if the demo blows me away.

# 108 JaFFiTh @ 08/20/14 07:15 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but in the 2nd video, Toews was sporting a....... Bauer 4500 (or whatever it is now) helmet!!!! For us roster geeks, thats an awesome news!

The game does seem pretty smooth, presentation looks good. Love the fans from what I can see so far. I don't know why ppl are complaining about the goalies, I don't think they are that bad unlike 2k's hunchback of notre dame's goaltenders ;-)

Sure not a big change from the previous gen but that was to be expected after MLB The Show, I didn't get my hopes up so I'm happy how it looks and will buy it eventually. I would need something anyways 'cause Rogers took over my Leafs and they won't be on any of channels available for me this year (ZERO GAMES! Not even HNIC on CBC) (I have a basic cable)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.