Home
Madden NFL 15 News Post

Friend of OS and Madden video creator extraordinaire Jake Berger, checks in again today with a video on how defenders fail to fully utilize the two-gap method to react to the ball in Madden NFL 15. Because defensive linemen still don't seem to be able to be responsible for more than a single gap, odd man fronts seem to be at a disadvantage against the run. We look at the footage available to us (granted, not the ideal examples) and break it all down. Check out the video and offer your thoughts on how you have successfully run a three man front in Madden to compensate for a handicapped DL.

Be sure to subscribe to Jake on YouTube. And don't forget to follow him on Twitter.

Official Video Description: Welcome to the SECOND EPISODE of my Madden 101 series. Today, we take a look at 2 gap defenders; how they are programmed in Madden, and how they operate in real life.

Image Credits in the Video:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/f...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/6...

Game: Madden NFL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 42 - View All
Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 daonejmel @ 08/19/14 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassefos
Very informative
So i guess user controlling the NT on defense would make this less of a problem?
Not really because you still have two other linemen responsible for two gaps. 3 man fronts are just broken.

# 22 RyanLeaf16 @ 08/19/14 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezzo503
The photos are showing NT in true 0 Tech

The chargers were in 1 gap 34 discipline. The NT was clearly shaded into a 1 tech.

Yes, a great NT will be able to play both gaps even when shaded. But idk if this is enough footage . Also, we would need to see the chargers lined up in 3-4 odd (5tech,0 tech, 5tech) to match the Photos
^^^^This.^^^^ Not ALL 34 D's are 2 gap. Plus, it also depends on package. 34 and 43 are not a big deal. Most teams spend less than 45% of their time in a base package due to all the multiple receiver sets.

I will say this though...the Madden playbooks are nowhere near the representation that you get with actual defenses. These guys are either limited in their resources or don't know where to look. I have a Rex Ryan 2010 Jets D playbook that I am looking to re-create and some of the blitzes and even 4 man rush sets are not even possible in the game unless you manually change each guy at the line.

EDIT: I apologize. I was reading all the comments and I assumed the video was addressing a very generalized topic regarding the 34 defense. I watched the video and the creator actually addressed what was in my post. So I apologize for the misunderstanding. It was an excellent video.

# 23 Cold_Fries @ 08/19/14 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep2910
^^Exactly. This game is broken. The whole game engine was designed to be scripted. How can you magically turn that ugly beast into a beautiful swan (read and react on ALL levels on the field)? When Madden changed from PS2 to PS3 it was an entirely new game engine (which sucked if you haven't heard). Instead of delivering an actual engine that would enable a drastically better overall experience, they get even more lazy with more fire power than ever at their disposal (ps4/Xbox 1). Saddest part is that the same ppl who KNOW this stuff, have complained forever and a day about it, will be to first ones in line with a big ole kool-aid smile on their face come launch day SMH. How do you expect the game to get better? And you KNOW their lying to you. 60 calculations per second, but Richard Sherman can't stop a curl route in man to man coverage (hmmmm), and you can run the same play over and over (adaptive a.i has been on the back of the box as a selling point since last gen). If you must purchase at least have the will power to wait a week or two to grab it used.

End Rant: sorry it was on my chest for a LONG time
This rant made me smile a bit.. Every word was on point! and I like sheep.. Ironically.

# 24 Wolverines05 @ 08/20/14 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeboyfresh23
The offensive line determines the block animation.they slide into place without taking any steps. The dline doesn't matter if they are all pro.. or practice squad player, you'll get the same animations. It would be nice if dominate nt made a difference in Madden..but they don't!
yeah.. id really like for physics to dictate animations in the line more. right now its too heavily based on animations, so the number of outcomes are finite. this makes the line interactions less organic because there simply arent enough outcomes and variations to accurately portray what goes on in the trenches. so its not only the ai, but the lack of physics that constricts the disparity in animation. what you get is more or less the feeling of pre determined outcomes/line interactions.. only when physics is incorporated in line play will you begin to see ratings play out on a linear scale (opposed to subjecting ratings to groupings of a limited number of animations), allowing endless variation and possibilities to line interactions.

# 25 jyoung @ 08/20/14 02:54 PM
Quote:
You can run the same play over and over (adaptive a.i has been on the back of the box as a selling point since last gen).
It goes back even further than the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 Maddens:

One of the key selling points of "Liquid AI" was that the CPU would adjust to the user's playing tendencies. That was in 1997.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.