Home
The Golf Club News Post

The Golf Club is available now on Xbox One and PC for $34.99. The PlayStation 4 version should be available soon.

For more details on the game, which includes tutorials, check out The Golf Club news page.

Play a few holes and post your impressions!

Game: The Golf ClubReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
The Golf Club Videos
Member Comments
# 61 PAPERNUT @ 08/19/14 06:34 PM
I did the purchase from remote and it was DL once I got home. Nice to see the Xbox One added that option. I can tell this will be a love and hate game for most. I love it personally as I am not the greatest to begin with, so not having all the boosts and other fluff will make this more realistic to me. Putting and chipping are tough. Graphics are not the best as most have mentioned. Love the ghost ball feature. The one issue I have with it is the menu when it lags communicating with the server or something. I hope that is a launch thing and will get cleared up. I like the announcer, but the menu music makes me want to cry Easily worth a purchase in my opinion and since it will continue to be updated in the future with more content, improvements, and custom courses from the community, $35 may end up being a steal.

# 62 brandon27 @ 08/19/14 07:13 PM
Well, I coudlnt take getting disconnected any longer, so I went offline, im on the 13th tee right now shooting -10 at little brook manor. I know its the easy course, but I needed it to get used to this, Im starting to get the putting better now.

I sure hope this game will save my stats even if im offline, but im doubting it. Which sucks, cuz im -10, with an eagle in the round lol

edit: and after I opened my mouth... I bogey the 13th lol Typical golfers luck.

# 63 PAPERNUT @ 08/19/14 07:18 PM
Looks like the menu lag and disconnects were due to loaded servers according to HB. Shortly after I posted, the lag stopped in the menu, so they seem to be working it out.

# 64 Dave Pearson @ 08/19/14 07:22 PM
How do I play with a friend? I'm in the same party as him (and the same house too..) and we cannot see each other even though we're playing on the same course at the same time. I'm under the impression it auto-joins you with your friends on XBL if you're playing the same course?

Also, I hit start when I'm in game and go to "Active Friends" - it shows all my buddies names, and then two columns next to them, both with "-" in it. I hit A on my buddy, and then hit A again on "Send Invite", but he doesn't get an invite.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is it just some kind of bug...?

Neither of us hit "Go Offline" from the main menu either.

# 65 brandon27 @ 08/19/14 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papernut
Looks like the menu lag and disconnects were due to loaded servers according to HB. Shortly after I posted, the lag stopped in the menu, so they seem to be working it out.
I just finally got through my first round online. Shot -15 this time at Little Brook Manor. Looks like they may have gotten the issues worked out.

Im confused though, I go into my stats, and it says my average score is E. Really strange...

# 66 JayBee74 @ 08/19/14 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
The only other thing I can suggest is that the maximum force of the putter seems to be 101 feet on a perfectly level green. This remains constant even for a one foot putt. They're giving you a realistic "force feel" to work with. The other big thing is to hit it "square" so it doesn't veer left or right of where you intend. Keep in mind you're not getting this tip from Arnold Palmer.

I saw the option one time and it let me resume. It was the first time I lost connection earlier today. I could swear the "RESUME GAME" appeared on the main menu above "PLAY" replacing "TEE-OFF". That bit of info isn't going to help much until they fix this issue. It's a current complaint on The Golf Club forums.
Yeah, that's what happened. I just fired it up and it let me resume my last disconnected game.

EDIT: As a matter of fact if you choose a course where you were last disconnected or exited you can jump back in or start a new game. So there are are multiple games you can "rejoin" But it appears that the only way you can do it is by selecting the course. Not a perfect interface, particularly if you played a course off the front menu.

But the "CONTINUE GAME" on the main menu won't always show up. Make sure you advance past the screen that has the Yards-Green Speeds-Difficulty to get to the "CONTINUE GAME" prompt.

# 67 TheBleedingRed21 @ 08/19/14 08:37 PM
In early access, when you quit mid round or lost connection, go to main menu and hit tee off. Takes you where you left off.

# 68 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/19/14 08:48 PM
Played a quick front 9 and shot +7. Then jumped into create a course. LOVE IT!

Here's why. I can create and play a new cousre anytime I want. No paying for additional courses. $35 for unlimited courses and online tournaments. Win, win IMO.

Published a "pitch & putt" 9 hole par 3 course in less then a minute.

I will be picking this up for the PS4 also.

# 69 JayBee74 @ 08/19/14 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
In early access, when you quit mid round or lost connection, go to main menu and hit tee off. Takes you where you left off.
Not earlier today. "TEE OFF" was taking me a single practice hole.

The thing that is extremely frustrating to me is the ghosts that I have been playing with make almost NO mistakes. It's bordering on ridiculous. Yes, I realize the ghosts are actual gamers, but why are they all so good? I'm playing Sonoran (Hardest Difficulty) and through 14 I'm (+10) while my opponents are -8, -8, and -6.

Kind of kills the thought of winning a major on a super tough course with a 3 under par for 72 holes.

# 70 PAPERNUT @ 08/19/14 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27

Im confused though, I go into my stats, and it says my average score is E. Really strange...
I'm seeing the same. I think the stats are lagging behind as my scores do not show up once I finish a course, but when I go back later, they are there along with my ghost balls for those past played.

# 71 brandon27 @ 08/19/14 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papernut
I'm seeing the same. I think the stats are lagging behind as my scores do not show up once I finish a course, but when I go back later, they are there along with my ghost balls for those past played.
For me it shows that I've played 4 rounds, but average score is still E. That's not the case though. All my other stats show up, like birdies, eagles, etc, etc.

Could it be because when I'm playing a round, I just go into "play", not tour or tournament?

# 72 Hunkerdown @ 08/19/14 09:26 PM
Played desert basic course and russ howell( highly recommend). Desert I shot +5 for my very first round, and +13 at russ howell.

# 73 DirtyJerz32 @ 08/19/14 11:26 PM
Can a mod change the title to Impressions thread? There's 3 threads that talk about the game so it would make it a little easier.

# 74 kehlis @ 08/19/14 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32
Can a mod change the title to Impressions thread? There's 3 threads that talk about the game so it would make it a little easier.
We can't change titles to front page stories (the maroon titles). They are articles on the main page just linked here, not actually traditional threads.

I think it would be okay to start an impressions thread though if you (or anyone else) wanted to.

# 75 JayBee74 @ 08/19/14 11:37 PM
Same gripe. I like the game a lot but these ghosts (essentially gamers) are not only recording ridiculously low scores they're always hitting the fairway, never in the drink, routinely make long putts, and a bogey is an alien concept to them (I've been paying close attention to their shots). A major concern since this is an online game.

# 76 krispykeith @ 08/19/14 11:42 PM
Here are my first impressions after some time with the game.

1. The gameplay and swing mechanics are superb. I really think they nailed it. It is going to take me a long time to feel comfortable and that is a great thing.

2. I love the lack of attributes or leveling up. A level playing field was a great design choice.

3. The graphics are awful. More than any other sports game I would love for golf to be the most immersive as it is so beautiful in reality. I am shocked at how disappointed I am in the visual aspect of the game and character model. I almost wish there was more of a haze filter on the background so the rough graphics would be less prominent. Ouch.

All in all I feel good about the purchase because of the gameplay decisions and the choices made. I will definitely spend some time. I just wish it was a little easier on the eyes.

# 77 Mc_Nasty33 @ 08/20/14 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith

3. The graphics are awful. More than any other sports game I would love for golf to be the most immersive as it is so beautiful in reality. I am shocked at how disappointed I am in the visual aspect of the game and character model. I almost wish there was more of a haze filter on the background so the rough graphics would be less prominent. Ouch.

All in all I feel good about the purchase because of the gameplay decisions and the choices made. I will definitely spend some time. I just wish it was a little easier on the eyes.

This. Never saw it coming. Every screenshot I saw made me believe the visuals would be gorgeous, but the sharpness of the graphics almost hurts my eyes.

# 78 Hunkerdown @ 08/20/14 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Same gripe. I like the game a lot but these ghosts (essentially gamers) are not only recording ridiculously low scores they're always hitting the fairway, never in the drink, routinely make long putts, and a bogey is an alien concept to them (I've been paying close attention to their shots). A major concern since this is an online game.

This^^^^^ 4 rounds, best ive managed E. Ghosts tearing it up. I played a live one where I got Even, and opponent shot +11.

# 79 Hunkerdown @ 08/20/14 08:31 AM
Saw there is a impression thread, moving comments there.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.