Home
NHL 15 News Post

The NHL 15 demo is available now on Xbox Live for Xbox One users. PlayStation 4 users can expect the demo tomorrow afternoon when the PSN Store updates with new titles.

UPDATE: The NHL 15 demo is now available for PlayStation 4 users. If you can't find it, click this link.

Some have had luck going to "New Demos" all the way over to the right. Games>New>Demos>New Demos (all the way over to the right) and grab the NHL 15 demo. Thanks @TheFlopfish)

The demo weighs in at 2.58 GB. Here are the details.
  • New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings
  • Full game with three two-minute periods
  • Play in Madison Square Garden or Staples Center
  • Gameplay Camera Angles: Dynamic Low, Dynamic Medium, and Dynamic High
  • Practice Mode: Master the Superstar Skill Stick with a free skate against a goalie
  • Difficulty Settings: Rookie, Pro, All-Star
If you can't find it, try searching for it with Bing.

Play a few games and let us know what you think of this year's NHL title on Xbox One!

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 SeaNNyT @ 08/26/14 11:37 AM
Graphics look nice, but the animations and physics still look like the same old. Turning on a dime with no weight shifting is glaring, and the puck still rarely feathers around, it still has that magnetic, glued to your stick feel.

# 122 orion523 @ 08/26/14 11:41 AM
Once the game is up on the PS4, I'll compare the two, but for now here's my Xbox One impressions:

- The presentation is startlingly good, seeing Doc and Olczyk live and in color was (explicit) awesome! Didn't expect that, great touch. The NBC stuff is great as well, really feels like a game on TV.

- gameplay feels much more lifelike, skaters have weight and momentum, much better than last year.

- I've actually seen penalties called, and quite a few of them.

- A slight concern I have, my nephew is playing now(on all-star) and the score is 6-4(he's won btw) in the 3rd period(final score) that's a lot of goals for 2 minute periods, it could just be one of those deals, but I thought it was worth noting.

-The game is really fun, a lot of fun. Now I'm not a hockey purist/nut like some here, so there are things I may not notice that others would, but I would consider myself a hardcore sports sim guy, and that said I really like the game. It's gone from a definite "no buy" to a possible purchase depending on the EA Access trial or more specifically the features included in Be A GM mode.

# 123 Södy @ 08/26/14 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
I cancelled my preorder due to the of omissions but I wanted to test the game out anyway.

To me it's the same NHL I remember but is it just me or do the visuals have a grainy filter going on? It's not a really sharp crisp looking game.

It's not my TV or settings as madden is crisp as something really crisp.

Playing on PS4
I heard quite a few saying this. Somebody mentioned it might only be 720p since PSN only says 720p. I agree not super crisp but it looks very good imo.

# 124 SVCbearcat10 @ 08/26/14 11:52 AM
As I read the impressions, I feel as though the demo gives a good feel for the mechanics but I suspect the sliders are tuned to make scoring much easier for the demo only. With 2 minute periods, it may not be too well received if every game goes into OT at 0-0 or is 1-0. I'll confirm later but that's what I'm sensing, so it may not be a great indicator of gameplay at release.

NHL usually plays great offline at release (I almost always stick with the original tuner set) because it's much more challenging. Usually they make it easier as the season goes on.

# 125 [Icy] @ 08/26/14 11:57 AM
Played two games as the kings, lost one 2-1 and won the second one 0-2.

Presentation is great, but i guess the intro will get old fast.

To me it plays like past year game while looking better but I was expecting to be blown up with the upgrade from Ps3 to Ps4, but It's the same for every game I have played so far besides some extra AA effect. I'm not really impressed with next gen games, we are still a year or two away from the real next gen games as it happened with Ps3.

Anyway in resume it's a nice looking game, specially in the replays and cut scenes.

As for the gameplay, my main issue is still there, you can take any player with the puck behind your goal and bring it forward untouched until the opposite goal just moving a little from one side to the other. If you want to roleplay, you can move a little the puck in the zone and the AI will put pressure, but you can break it anytime if you want without any effort.

I'll buy it I guess, as there is no other alternative and I don't have my Ps3 with NHL 14 anymore, but not sure if on release day or will better wait to see if FIFA has me busy and excited enough to wait until NHL goes down on price and gets some patches on it.

# 126 Vikes1 @ 08/26/14 12:14 PM
It sure would be great if a NZ pressure slider was added at some point.

# 127 jonapaloma @ 08/26/14 12:25 PM
Has attributes like speed any effect on how fast or slow a player skates?

I imagine a test with a slow player compared to a fast in free skate mode should do the trick.

# 128 Al_Tito13 @ 08/26/14 12:27 PM
I played more than 20 games on All-Star/Hardcore. Here are my thoughts:

- Slower game pace for a more realistic game
- Graphics and presentation are great
- Hockey atmosphere is definitely there
- Puck physics are way way better than before
- Interceptions and deflections on players, which result in more loose pucks
- Toned down deking for a more realistic gameplay
- Skating is good with players having some weight while turning and changing direction
- Shot release feels and looks better
- Hitting and collisions are good even if they are sometimes a bit over the top

Dislikes:
- Even if it's better, general AI still needs some work
- AI players still don't use their sticks quite enough
- Too much open ice, still leading to a lot of up and down hockey, odd man rushes and breakaways
- Backhand shots are too effective, especially on breakaways
- Goalies are weak in some situations and would definitely need an overhaul next year
- Poke checking is too restrictive, not effective enough and with no left to right control on the stick
- Even if I saw the CPU missing sometimes, there are still way too many tape to tape passes
- Player jerseys are floating a bit too much
- Sticks still go through things (players, other sticks, nets, boards)
- No new gameplay sliders and still only with a 0 to 6 scale

Will need more time to make a final idea:
- Commentary: is it really an improvement or not?

Overall, I really liked what I saw from the demo and I can't wait to get my hands on the real game.

# 129 DIRK41NOWITZKI @ 08/26/14 12:29 PM
Is it still not out on PS4 yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 130 Cossin75 @ 08/26/14 12:34 PM
Still can't find it on PS Store.. So I guess not..

# 131 actionhank @ 08/26/14 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaLiveKing
Remember, they can improve the game throughout the year, I'm sure the demo is missing a lot of things, which is why I'm not judging the game fully until it comes out. UFC is a prime example, that game is way better now after the first update, now there's a second update!!!
I feel like i'm starting to sound negative in every post, but EA Vancouver's track record of fixing game issues isn't too great after release. We actually had a massive problem added that i don't remember being there at launch, which was the sky-high puck bounce in the corners that was never patched out. It's still there to this day. EA is slowly making me lose hope in this game.

# 132 Drakar @ 08/26/14 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I feel like i'm starting to sound negative in every post, but EA Vancouver's track record of fixing game issues isn't too great after release. We actually had a massive problem added that i don't remember being there at launch, which was the sky-high puck bounce in the corners that was never patched out. It's still there to this day. EA is slowly making me lose hope in this game.
The next-gen console are better build for that purpose. It will be a lot easier for EA to patch the games.

# 133 actionhank @ 08/26/14 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakar
The next-gen console are better build for that purpose. It will be a lot easier for EA to patch the games.
I hope so. The lack of actual patches drove me insane with NHL 12-14. There's only so much that a tweak in a tuner ever seemed to accomplish. The bouncing puck still frustrates me. It just kills gameplay in the corner.

# 134 JezFranco @ 08/26/14 01:18 PM
Have played about 20 games now (PS4) and while I'm not blown away it plays nice and looks good.

The poke works good, but I was let down that not more manual stick control was there for the defence this year. Stick lift also works better (not an auto-slash).

Buy or not?

Well, the demos have always played pretty good, but the last years I've been let down by the final product.
And this year no GMC, which means that 90% of the games I would've played (with my mates are not included in the box). So EA, is the game coming at a reduced price to the PS4?

P.s. I found the demo under "demos", but not when searching for "NHL" (EU Store).

# 135 max452 @ 08/26/14 01:28 PM
More I play more I think this game is not 1080p.

Look at the text in overlay menu' during game and the text under the player on the ice, same for the jersey, I use ice cam and the numbers or names of the players are not crisp.
Overall look is not crisp like other 1080p games!!

I'm on a Panasonic Plasma and others games looks perfect, Fifa 14, Bf4 and Last Of Us.

Very strange...

Maybe to much AA ?

Comments ?

# 136 spidertour02 @ 08/26/14 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRK41NOWITZKI
Is it still not out on PS4 yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep your pants on. The store usually doesn't update until 5PM EST or later.

# 137 Qb @ 08/26/14 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by max452
More I play more I think this game is not 1080p.

Look at the text in overlay menu' during game and the text under the player on the ice, same for the jersey, I use ice cam and the numbers or names of the players are not crisp.
Overall look is not crisp like other 1080p games!!

I'm on a Panasonic Plasma and others games looks perfect, Fifa 14, Bf4 and Last Of Us.

Very strange...

Maybe to much AA ?

Comments ?
First, thanks for re-posting in here. A few others have mentioned this, so you might get more replies anyway.

I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on how it looks. My first thought is a drop in quality might be due to demo limitations. Not sure if that theory holds water or not, but they always include that "not representative of the final product" disclaimer, so who knows.

# 138 drew_3 @ 08/26/14 01:56 PM
Ok so I have posted on here before and I have mentioned I am from the UK.

I downloaded the demo for the game today and have only played one game so far but felt compelled to come and voice my early opinion. Before I do though I'll give you a little back story that I may or may not have mentioned before.

I initially got into hockey with the release of NHL 10 as I was tired of my usual games and was looking for something new, I picked it up and was instantly hooked on the sport. I have been to a couple of games when I have been in the states. Both times being Devils games as I was in New York (although my team is actually Pittsburgh). Whilst on my first visit to New York I made sure to purchase an authentic Penguins jersey from the NHL store (after a mix up and some good fortune I only paid for a replica one, saving some considerable money!)

Any way I have digressed away from the impressions, this demo has made me fall in love with the sport all over again. I played as the Kings and I was 2 down very quickly, pulled one back in the second and equalised in the third, but 20sec later I conceded the winner.

I have not had such a blast with a game/demo in a long time. Graphically it is awesome and after some early promise from what they had shown us I had begun to be a little more worried that it wasn't going to be as amazing as I had hoped. Well let me tell you it is all I had hoped for and more.

There is some lovely moments where the puck really feels alive and like it's own entity. There were moments of great saves by Lunqvist and I felt the poke check was more relevant and effective again compared to last year.

The most pleasing aspect of this and indeed throughout the NHL series in recent years though is that in a world where sports games get more and more intricate and complicated it is brilliant that this game remains simple and accessible for the masses whilst retaining an element of depth for the more hardened fan.

# 139 Rbk @ 08/26/14 01:58 PM
Man this is disappointing. The demo is so blurry. I don't know what resolution they're running at but it has killed my anticipation for this game

# 140 JezFranco @ 08/26/14 02:10 PM
I know this thread name is xbox, but seeing theres quite a few PS4 replies here, including mine. Is the blurry/720 thingy an xbox issue only? I dont have that problem on PS4.
Im using the default camera abd it seems crisp enough.
Can see some ads on the boards are not high rez in the close ups, but thats nothing new.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.