Home
NHL 15 News Post

The NHL 15 demo arrived today for PS4 users, and yesterday for Xbox One users. With so much controversey surrounding this year's NHL's release, thanks in part to several key missing modes in the new-gen debut, the game will have to rely upon its presentation and gameplay to deliver an experience worth gamer's hard earned $60.

So with that, here are some extended thoughts from our staff on whether the game is shaping up to do just that.

Read More - NHL 15 Demo: Is the Gameplay Enough? (Roundtable)

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 13whitebread @ 08/26/14 10:42 PM
As for me only I have played six games like what I am seeing and I realize it's not the full game but in those games I never had a power play. I surely hope that will change

# 2 bigwill33 @ 08/26/14 10:44 PM
You have Glenn's comments on here twice and nothing from Phil.

Anyway, it seems to be that if you like or love real hockey you won't care for this game. And if you don't really know much about hockey or only follow it somewhat you might think it is pretty good. There are exceptions, but that is the consensus that seems to be floating around the boards here.

# 3 scottyo60 @ 08/26/14 10:44 PM
I feel like the players are too big... Lighting and graphics were great. NBC sports a nice touch as well. I'll play more Thursday and see what I think.. Idk

# 4 BearishRiggs @ 08/26/14 11:10 PM
Jayson's section confirms what I was most afraid of. NHL 15 is some admittedly stylish lipstick on a real damn ugly pig.

# 5 Rhaze48 @ 08/26/14 11:19 PM
After a few hours now logged in the demo here are my impressions. Keep in mind while reading this breakdown I was playing as the Kings the entire time, who are without a doubt the #1 Defensive team in the entire league. I played all games in Goalie locked position as I would in my Be A Pro.

I can sum up my experience by breaking down my very first game goal-by-goal.

Goal #1 on me: I was in what looked to be perfect position, got top-shelfed over my glove under the bar circa NHL14.

Goal #2 on me: While my defense(the best in the league remember) stood around like pylons a Rangers player with the puck on the half-boards facing the glass twisted the top half of his torso almost a full 180 to center the puck perfectly to another Ranger waiting patiently and un-hindered in the slot. No chance as it's again roofed.

Goal # on me: I stop the initial shot from the point, only to see(circa NHL14) my "Defensemen" doing the cross-check jig out in front of me while a Rangers player scoops up the rebound on his backhand and it's back off his stick and roofed in a split second.

Goal #4 on me: Ranger cuts in from the sideboards almost parralel with the goal line, I hug the post upright and he proceeds (on his off side mind you) to roof it FAR SIDE on me.

Goal #1 on them: A floater by Dwight King beats King Henrick glove side mid net.

Other Observations: SWEET FLAPPY JERSEY BATMAN. It's just.... too much. Crowds looked AMAZING, commentary was a refreshing change as was pre-game. Player models looked slightly improved but VERY VERY VERY pissed it's a 720p output and not a 1080p as it SHOULD BE.

Overall it seems to be nothing more than a fresh coat of paint on the same glitchy, unbalanced gameplay. In serious consideration to cancel my pre-order and wait a few months till you lovely folks can make some sets of decent sliders that may solve my issues and then purchase.

Just as far as what I do with my game-time, it seems like it will be the same infuriating ride NHL14 was. Might be a pass for me this year.

# 6 scottyo60 @ 08/26/14 11:28 PM
Here's a round table question. With the price drops of NHL around Black Friday and December, what do you value this game as? I'd think around $30 will be when I pick it up

# 7 Rhaze48 @ 08/26/14 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
Here's a round table question. With the price drops of NHL around Black Friday and December, what do you value this game as? I'd think around $30 will be when I pick it up
Well it's current price tag for me is $69.99 CAD. With it's lack of modes, seemingly unchanged gameplay, and only slightly improved graphics I would honestly pay no more than $35-$40 around xmas.

Thus a big reason I am sleeping on it tonight and may cancel pre-order tomorrow.

# 8 onac22 @ 08/27/14 12:08 AM
I have played two games on all-star. The first game the cpu went up one early but I scored twice to win. The second game I lost, 4-0. What is most disturbing is that all five cpu goals were the same. Pass right to left,bottom of the circle to slot for a roofed one timer.

In looks the game is impressive. The mechanics so far are not all there. Did have two powerplays in the second game. Penalties were there for me.

What concerned me the most was the ease of the one touch dekes. One button push and a direction on the right stick everyone plays like Crosby. The feature ends up playing more like the skill stick in madden, I was being optimistic and hoping it would be more like the skill stick in FIFA and based on player skill.

But it does feel good to have an NHL game to whine about again.

# 9 GrawrD @ 08/27/14 02:08 AM
EASHL took up a huge part of my time for the past 5 years, but I am having tons of fun with the Demo so far.

# 10 EliJ27 @ 08/27/14 02:37 AM
I love it, as long as they didnt take the creation and roster editing aspect out of the game like EA has been known to do in the past with other games i think everything will be fine.

# 11 ASUBoy93 @ 08/27/14 02:42 AM
Am I the only one that thought the demo was a great showing of what NHL 15 is going to be?

Sure, the full game is missing modes but I personally feel like the gameplay/graphics/presentation are big steps up for me this year. I was worried the demo would be poor but it plays great IMO. It definitely solidified my purchase on the 9th.

# 12 SVCbearcat10 @ 08/27/14 08:13 AM
You're not the only one. The jump in gameplay is greater from NHL on next-gen (compared to last gen) than Madden was last year. The physics and momentums of the players is much more accurate, making positioning more important.

AI was always be an issue in a video game. You can either choose to exploit flaws or try to play simulation hockey. Many choose to exploit the flaws and take all the fun out of it. I just find it funny that all the people who are saying it's half a game are the same people who would be saying it's nothing put a port if all the modes made it in but graphics/gameplay was minimally changed.

We've learned that a 1st release on a new console will never live up to most people's expectations. I think they have a great foundation to make this truly a great game over the next few years.

On a side note... I think gaining the offensive zone could be a little bit harder, but I don't want that part too life like. I don't have time to play 20 minute periods, I like the quick games of 5 minute periods. If you have to dump the puck everytime (and implement true stick collision physics like some call for), no one would EVER possess the puck long enough to score in a shortened period. It would be a sloppy mess and a pretty boring experience. There has to been some element of 'arcadeness', for lack of a better term, to make the game fun.

A 2nd note... goalies. I hope they address them next year. While they aren't terrible, I just think they can be improved. Something about their movements, or lack of subtle variety in their animations seem off. They don't interact well with the goal or the crease. Most complaints about being in position and still giving up a goal doesn't bother me, that's called every night in the NHL.

# 13 TDKing @ 08/27/14 08:37 AM
Wiggling jerseys are stupid. Not seeing 12 man physics. I don't see any of the highly touted layered uniform stuff. As I stated before to me it seems like the same game with lowered ice friction and a slight change in puck physics.

# 14 kerosene31 @ 08/27/14 09:08 AM
I was disappointed with the missing modes, but I could honestly live without them. I could keep busy with offline modes if the gameplay was a big step up.

For me, the gameplay just isn't a big leap. The puck physics are improved. I'm not sure if I like the new skating or not. That's about it. The AI feels very similar to 14, which is not a good thing. I found myself figure skating in the CPU's zone all day even on the higher difficulties.

I like where the game is going and I'm looking forward to NHL 16. If they can work on the AI and add some game modes and build on the puck physics, it could be a great hockey game. At least based on the demo the game isn't there yet.

# 15 Bleak5170 @ 08/27/14 10:25 AM
"Though this demo features the two highest-rated goaltenders in NHL 15 (Henrik Lundqvist and Jonathan Quick), most of the goals I've seen these elite netminders allow are the same weak-angle, short-side, top-shelf wrist shots that have dominated the scoring in recent EA NHL games. In less than 24 hours since this demo's release, I've already seen not one, but two cheap moves that will score almost every time."

First thing I noticed as well - so many lame goals being scored.

# 16 Comp @ 08/27/14 10:46 AM
Played a few games and the graphics and presentation are solid. Gameplay wise I really have no complaints, except every shot seems like a darn laser ones it leaves the stick.

# 17 mdb1031 @ 08/27/14 11:51 AM
After playing through three games, I'll say that my tempered excitement has shifted to tempered disappointment. I wasn't upset by the missing modes as I'm generally not an online player.

Pros:
• NBC presentation is really nice. Even the presence of the peacock logo in the game info bar adds a lot of realism. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the arena intros.

• The graphics and lighting are mostly pretty nice. Particularly the lighting on the goalie after a goal has been scored and the red light is on. More on graphics and lighting in the "Cons".

• The gameplay feels good. Slightly better than NHL 14 in some places. Shots feel crisper and faster.

• Puck physics feel more improved than I was expecting. I haven't seen any rubber ball bouncing puck craziness yet.

• The new dynamic medium camera angle is nice. It cuts off a little too much when I'm deep in the offensive zone and dynamic high feels too far from the action for me, but I think I'll get used to dynamic medium and spend most of my playing time there.

Cons:
• The jersey graphics are AWFUL. They flutter unrealistically, all of the stripes and patches still stretch like the jerseys are made of a single piece of spandex, and the shadows cast on white jerseys look particularly terrible. I also picked up Madden 15 last night and the shadowing on the players in Madden is far superior. Even the XBOX 360 jerseys in NHL 14 looked superior.

• Some of the lighting is pretty bad. Everything in the game feels way too bright and washed out which causes skin, white jerseys, and really mostly everything else to lack depth and feel really flat.

• So far, the commentary feels really robotic to me. I'm glad to not be hearing the same 15 phrases over and over again, but Doc and Eddie's stuff doesn't sound the least bit natural in game. Maybe it's a lack of ambient noise behind them, but it sounds like they're reading from a script in a sound booth.

# 18 Instant C1a55ic @ 08/27/14 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13whitebread
As for me only I have played six games like what I am seeing and I realize it's not the full game but in those games I never had a power play. I surely hope that will change
My first game, 3rd period got a PP for high sticking.

# 19 pm83 @ 08/27/14 02:23 PM
What has bothered me in the previous titles is that every player plays the same. From what I've now seen it's unfortunate that it's still the deal with this series. It's actually really disappointing when thinking about 15's key features: "Authentic player & equipment model" and "Unprecentended player likeness".

Yeah. They might look authentic but in the end they all act the same.

# 20 EliJ27 @ 08/27/14 02:29 PM
I just try not to complain too much and take what i get, only because there's not much out there for NHL games, in fact this is the only NHL title left, Yes I wish they'd listen to the public more on what we want and emphasize on. But after playing the demo I really think they're taking the right steps forward.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.