Home
NHL 15 News Post

(This post has been promoted to the homepage. Written by NHL 15 Producer, Sean Ramjagsingh)

Thanks for being part of this journey as we head into the launch of NHL 15 on the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, the start of a new generation of hockey videogames. We’re incredibly proud of the next-generation gameplay and presentation experience we’ve created for all our fans. From the Next-Generation Hockey Player and True Hockey Physics to the Unrivalled In-Arena Experience and a revolution in Broadcast Presentation, I’m extremely proud of what our team has delivered in one year on new technology. The focus on a new gameplay and presentation engine will not only deliver a great game now, but also give us the foundation to deliver next-generation hockey experiences to you for the years to come.

However, we’re not done. We’re committed to keeping the experience fresh throughout the hockey season, in addition to the roster and ratings updates you’ve always received, the list below contains the free content updates for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 we’re working on and our expected window on when you will see them in the game:

September:

Playoff Mode
Create a custom offline tournament bracket with up to 16 teams from any of the 12 leagues in the game. Play or simulate each game and track player and team stats throughout the tournament.

Be A Pro - Coach Feedback
Get the coach’s feedback while you are on the bench. The coach will give you tips on how to stay on top of your game and grade you on your play.

3 Stars of the Game
At the end of the game, see the three stars and their high level stats. Will apply to every game mode.

Hockey Ultimate Team
Several content updates, including:
• Changed layout and navigation in HUT store
• New animations for player items
• Improved edit lines screen to better identify players that are injured or require contract extensions

October:

Online Team Play
Online multiplayer mode where every player on the ice can be human controlled.

GM Draft
For the first time in the NHL franchise, you will be put on the clock and feel the pressure like real NHL GM’s. You will now only have 3 minutes to make a draft pick. If the pressure is too much, you can also call timeouts to extend the amount of time you have to make a draft pick or potentially negotiate a trade. You can make trades at any time during the draft. The CPU will also propose trades to each other and the user throughout the draft.

------

As always your feedback is fundamental to how we make NHL better and better, so we will also be looking to what you want to see implemented in the game.

Thanks
Sean

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 EASPORTSNHL @ 09/07/14 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
In the Online Team Play screenshot, it says "5 vs. 5 online play."

Does that mean that we won't be able to have human goalies in Online Team play?
Not as part of these content updates.
Goalies are still a priority for us as they're a key part of the EASHL.

-rammer

# 22 DirtyJerz32 @ 09/07/14 11:54 PM
Sooooo what this tells me is yes, they're committed to bringing us a full featured game. It also tells me that they're releasing an unfinished product for $60.

# 23 bad_philanthropy @ 09/07/14 11:57 PM
I've been playing the series since NHLPA, and invested most of my annual gaming hours into gen 3 offerings from '07-14 in the offline dynasty and Be a GM.

I understand you have to be very careful with what you say about anything, really, but is it the team's intention to achieve as deep an experience in Be a GM, BaP, and EASHL as on gen 3, or might we see a new direction of more simplified gameplay modes?

# 24 EASPORTSNHL @ 09/07/14 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
What was the reason Madden and FIFA were able to port non-gameplay offline mode features to gen 4 and NHL wasn't? I understand M25 and FIFA were sort of "cross-gen" games, but what made NHL the exception in the inability to port functioning offline GM and BaP modes as a holdover before a more robust experience could be implemented in future iterations?

I can understand the technical problems of implementing EASHL into new tech, and getting up to 12 users playing at once, but why did the offline modes take such a hit as well? Additionally, such standard features in sports games like player editing.
We had a very legacy codebase which made it difficult to add new game modes features. A big part of rebuilding the offline modes that made it into 15 was rebuilding the code base so that we are set up to build bigger and better features on this generation in a more efficient manner because of a better technical base. (apologies for the run on sentence)

-rammer

# 25 BoostedStig @ 09/07/14 11:57 PM
How about an update to include the United Center? I mean really, the Blackhawks are only one of the best teams in the league, from the 3rd largest city in the country.

Think about that, Chicago is a huge market to sell games to, why not bend over backwards to get it done?

Considering the cost of tickets to Blackhawks games, with 2 cups in the past 5 years, have skyrocketed both through the box office and even more so in the aftermarket. Those of us who live here would love to see the inside of a stadium that not all of us can afford game tickets to every season. It would be absolutely sick during the intro to be able to have the camera pan past the "Welcome to the Madhouse" signage inside the arena.

I know there are licensing issues, I get that. I'm just hoping it gets done for NHL16. I'm sick of this 'Chicago Stadium' where they only blow the airhorn twice instead of three times for a Hawks goal.

# 26 nattylite29 @ 09/07/14 11:58 PM
If we start a GM mode once the draft is patched in will that existing save be able to support the updated draft patch

# 27 angelstrout @ 09/07/14 11:58 PM
Is season mode going to be added, this is another mode that a lot of people are asking for. In essence until EA gets all the modes in the majority of us won't purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 28 EASPORTSNHL @ 09/07/14 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I've been playing the series since NHLPA, and invested most of my annual gaming hours into gen 3 offering from '07-14.

I understand you have to be very careful with what you say about anything, really, but is it the team's intention to achieve as deep an experience in Be a GM, BaP, and EASHL as on gen 3, or might we see a new direction of more simplified gameplay modes?
Great question...you will see depth come back in each of those modes. The simplification was simply due to time.

-rammer

# 29 rynecandy @ 09/08/14 12:00 AM
I'll wait for a store to have it on sale for $40. I feel comfortable paying that amount for the game that took so much out, whether or not, it was warranted. Feels like EA was patting their own back saying how they didn't want to rush out a next gen game and have it lacking, and that is what they did (even w/ the extra year).

# 30 EASPORTSNHL @ 09/08/14 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandwhite
Rammer -- Is it possible to patch in GM Connected? The framework already exists for online 1v1 games, and the platform for GM modes is there, too.

I know you said not many people played it, but it's a big deal to me and the league I've had for a total of 10 or so seasons across NHL 13 and 14.
at this point, game modes depth and the EASHL are our priority.
That's not to say that GMC will never come back.
-rammer

# 31 snc237 @ 09/08/14 12:02 AM
Hey rammer I know people want to be able to play with more then one person on a console in ranked vs. I for one for years have played ranked very competitively and hate when I get Matched up agains more then one user on the other team. So I know on your nex gen game you can only play one V one. In future titles when you add back this ability to play with more then one user could you make it so they only get matched up with other multiplayer teams as well? Just a suggestion. Anyways thanks for your guys hard work, yes the lack of game modes are disappointing and I'm sure you fell the same but what you do have is looking great. Can't wait to see how the series evolves.

# 32 KomicJ @ 09/08/14 12:03 AM
While I do appreciate the fact that draft will FINALLY be live (a feature I've been waiting for SO long), I'm still not gonna buy the game, as it doesn't allow us to edit players. Be-A-Pro sim to next shift is also a must for me to enjoy, as well as minute-by-minute simulation in Be-A-Gm.

I'll probably rent it after the October patch is release...but no buy for me this year.

# 33 adayinthelife @ 09/08/14 12:05 AM
Will BAGM's need to be restarted to get the improved drafting?

How will gameplay tweaks be handled? If there wasn't enough time to finish the game this year and you'll be adding pieces for the next 2 months, is that taking time/resources from NHL 16, thus setting it up for a similar result?

Is there any reason to get this game on release?

# 34 Garism @ 09/08/14 12:06 AM
Hey Rammer, thanks for doing another mini Q&A.

Would it be possible to change the change line/poke glitch? I've seen on YT that it's a problem. I know it's a bad time to change lines while on defense, but changing RB to LB could work better. Glad you made the change from A to RB, but I think LB would work even better. The poke is used much more compared to LB button on defense.

Can't wait for the game on Tuesday!

Thanks!

# 35 sportsgamer42 @ 09/08/14 12:07 AM
I usually play season mode and playoff mode ill just play be a gm mode to replace season mode but come april i like to do play out the real world playoffs so now im happy knowing that i wont miss that this year

# 36 BoostedStig @ 09/08/14 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
Will BAGM's need to be restarted to get the improved drafting?

How will gameplay tweaks be handled? If there wasn't enough time to finish the game this year and you'll be adding pieces for the next 2 months, is that taking time/resources from NHL 16, thus setting it up for a similar result?

Is there any reason to get this game on release?

Most solid question on this thread so far.

# 37 bad_philanthropy @ 09/08/14 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EASPORTSNHL
We had a very legacy codebase which made it difficult to add new game modes features. A big part of rebuilding the offline modes that made it into 15 was rebuilding the code base so that we are set up to build bigger and better features on this generation in a more efficient manner because of a better technical base. (apologies for the run on sentence)

-rammer
I can respect that, and appreciate the explanation. It seems a bold decision for the NHL team to actually bite the bullet on this. Given the legacy issues, and annual minor detail-related shenanigans I've groaned about with that rickety base the guys down at Tiburon used/still use forNCAA/Madden (which I know damn well has stuff dating back to the PS1 days), I can appreciate the move, and the risk taken to produce a better game long term.

I'll buy 360 this year to get my annual fix, and maybe see where your gen 4 offering is at next year. Love the work you did on the 360/PS3 all these years as I've really been able to use sliders, and various others tools provided like manual passing, no hitting assist to get a satisfying sim experience.

# 38 KomicJ @ 09/08/14 12:08 AM
Oh, and honest question here...could you explain what causes the different menus and Be-A-GM simulation to be so slow ? I kinda understood with last gen, but on new gen ? Will it ever go back to a much more reasonable loading time ?

# 39 jes5ant @ 09/08/14 12:09 AM
I saw on a gameplay video of the 360 version that the BAGM mode is much improved with player progression. Will the next gen version operate the same way once the draft is implemented? Also will I have to re start my Franchise? And I also have to ask if AHL will become playable again?

Thanks

# 40 bigwill33 @ 09/08/14 12:14 AM
Rammer, with how much was not able to be included in this first iteration of the series on PS4 and Xbox One what is the rough timetable for the game to be "fully featured" as to what the customers of this series have come to expect from the last generation versions of the game?

With the team seemingly playing catchup now after this first release how long might it be before we see some of the legacy issues that have plagued this franchise addressed, if ever? I am of course speaking to the ways that the goalies have largely remained the same since NHL 07, as well as the ways to score goals in the game by both the users and CPU AI players. Not to mention the easy access into the zone on the attack that has become mundane and monotonous over the past half of a decade. Will these situations ever be addressed with how much work there is to do just to get the game up to par with what we had prior?

Furthermore, you have stated that there was only one year of development time to work on NHL 15. Can we, the consumers, inquire as to why that was the case? Was there no foresight allotted to your team in preparation for the upcoming next generation of consoles? Were you not given the development kits ahead of time? And why did you state last year at this time that moving forward without an next gen game on year one of the consoles allowed for your team to work on this sku for a longer period of time? Did the situation change or was it something else?

And finally, with the release of NHL 15 on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 seemingly being very similar to prior versions of the game, what exactly is the priority of the crew in Vancouver? Was the team simply overtaxed and underpowered, thus resulting in the shortcoming of time (as you seemingly indicate)? Or is something going on behind the scenes that we would just not be aware of? I understand that you cannot delve into the inner-workings of your job, but coming from our perspective you must sure see why we might have so many unanswered questions as to why things are now the way they are with our beloved franchise. And does any of the aforementioned points have any relation to the lack of communication from the EA development team to the consumers, or the lack of media and content that was certainly in contrast to prior releases of the game? If not, could you touch on the reasons as to why everything concerning the game has been so heavily shrouded and kept under wraps until so late into the development cycle?

Thank you for your time and openness in any response that you may offer.

-Patrick

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.