Home
NHL 15 News Post

After a delayed and protracted PR schedule, people are finally getting to play NHL 15 on Xbox One and PS4. To say that there has been a lot made of the missing EASHL and other features would be an understatement. Fans have made their feelings known that the absent features and modes are going to impact purchasing decisions, while EA has remained steadfast in their belief that the game will stand on its own merits and make people believers (well, only for so long, as EA plans to patch in certain elements).

After playing the game for some time, three things remain clear in my mind: this is the best-looking version of the game to date, it plays very well, and it’s not worth the full asking price.

Read More - NHL 15: Reviewer Impressions (PS4/XB1)

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 turbineseaplane @ 09/08/14 11:51 AM
Yep.

Looks great, but too much stripped out to justify the price tag.

I really don't get why they didn't do a $29-$39 for just this year to make up for that fact.

# 2 Honome @ 09/08/14 12:13 PM
Is there a review embargo by EA??? I am pretty sure there is since we canīt see any final review so far, even with review copies already sent to the media...

EA is really playing dirty, as usual...

# 3 ps3veron @ 09/08/14 12:13 PM
Tragic really! I'm thinking the game scoring 6 at the most.

# 4 turbineseaplane @ 09/08/14 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honome
Is there a review embargo by EA??? I am pretty sure there is since we canīt see any final review so far, even with review copies already sent to the media...

EA is really playing dirty, as usual...
Yes! There is actually. That was the condition that reviewers had to accept to get an advance copy. (No reviews public until launch).

Very very dirty pool. Really hoping to confuse and hide facts until people have already purchased. Shameful behavior.

# 5 Retropyro @ 09/08/14 12:20 PM
Exactly how I feel about the game. I don't think I'd pay more that $25 for the game in it's current state. But here in Canada they want $69.99.

# 6 Honome @ 09/08/14 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineseaplane
Yes! There is actually. That was the condition that reviewers had to accept to get an advance copy. (No reviews public until launch).

Very very dirty pool. Really hoping to confuse and hide facts until people have already purchased. Shameful behavior.
Thatīs a shame... They already knew the game would receive low scores because of the missing features.

On the other hand i highly doubt they will do the same with Fifa since they already know they will receive lots of 9īs and 10īs and that may improve the sales.

The games industry is really dirty. Same company treat different games different ways just to illude the customer and improve their sales.

# 7 Gsanda @ 09/08/14 12:30 PM
Thank you for this article. Since I read this, I read many comments of frustrated consumers on Google, twitter, etc. I have purchased EA Sports hockey games nearly every year, but now I cancelled my order through Amazon. I emailed Amazon and asked them to consider assuming some responsibility for promoting and selling an incomplete and unfinished product for FULL PRICE. Maybe when retailers start standing up for consumers, Manufacturers would present better products before trying to sell them.

# 8 milesizdead @ 09/08/14 12:51 PM
Agree with Glenn to some extent, but I'm not impressed with gameplay, at all. AI is slightly improved on the defensive side, but offense is horrible. AI might cycle the puck a bit more, but only when human player's errors let them do it. If you watch AI play against AI, all they do is skate into checks when they have the puck.

Gameplay still has the same issues it has for years, puck control is too high, pass assist is too high, some checks still result in the good old rubber ball effect, where the player just bounces off the puck holder. Players still warp in an unrealistic speed when picking up a loose puck, yet skating past a loose puck without acknowledging it is still rampant. And the way you can skate through traffic without losing the puck is ridiculous.

I was pissed off at the missing game modes before, now I'm just pissed off. Worst NHL game since 07. If this had been released on 360 with the missing game modes I would've been happy, but this is not a nextgen game.

# 9 GROGtheNailer @ 09/08/14 01:06 PM
When I played the demo, it felt very NHL 14 to me but it is better, I do like puck physics. Not having those features though, it makes the game useless to me, I cannot use it.

# 10 canucksss @ 09/08/14 01:18 PM
My nephew who used to be a designer in EA (Burnaby, BC) and now working at a big computer gaming as developer after being "pirated" will send my his free copy of NHL PS4 from his buddies at EA. His friend at EA thought he has PS4....my nephew has X1.

I might receive this either today or tomorrow. I'll post here my impression...but I will only play BaGM. (I told my nephew if I didnt like it if I could sell it via GS and he said he's fine with it...LOL). I love this nephew of mine!!!!

# 11 SVCbearcat10 @ 09/08/14 01:21 PM
I feel bad for the NHL franchise because this probably set them back at least 2 years. No one will be satisfied with next year's release because everyone will say that NHL 16 should really be NHL 15. This game really does play a solid game of hockey, probably the best to date. It's funny how everyone yelling at how stale commentary and presentation was for YEARS now says that being updated is no big deal.

This game probably should have been delayed until October so more could have been included on launch day. Those saying they should release the game for $30 as a gesture of goodwill have never worked in a business environment. That would put them out of business faster than anything.

# 12 turbineseaplane @ 09/08/14 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Those saying they should release the game for $30 as a gesture of goodwill have never worked in a business environment. That would put them out of business faster than anything.
That is an absolutely silly statement. NHL is a total drop in the bucket for EA as a whole and they most certainly could eat a price drop for 1 year.

Goodwill with customers is hard to earn and very easy to lose.

Ensuring none of the bad reviews get out until they sucker a bunch of people into buying it first is *not* good business.

Anyone in a "business environment" should know that part well.

# 13 KomicJ @ 09/08/14 01:40 PM
"It’s one thing to create “a foundation” for the future; it’s another to strip out 70 percent of the modes in order to ship a product on time."

That one sentence sums up to perfection what I've been trying to say with much more words these past few days. This is EXACTLY what's wrong with this game.

# 14 centauris @ 09/08/14 01:56 PM
Should have launched at $40..

this game will NOT be getting my money.

# 15 dovuto86 @ 09/08/14 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
Should have launched at $40..

this game will NOT be getting my money.
I dont understand you at all..If you buy it for 60 dollars and play it for 3 months, Walmart will give you 40 dollars for it trade in so youd really only play it for 20 dollars.

# 16 dovuto86 @ 09/08/14 02:00 PM
To everyone not buying this game because of the missing game modes, Walmart will most likely give you 40 dollars for this game into November/December so if you buy it for 60 dollars, play it for a month or two it would only really cost you 20 dollars. It makes no sense not to buy it if you were planning on buying it to begin with

# 17 KomicJ @ 09/08/14 02:05 PM
In fact, I'm gonna say a few more words, cause I finally found out what's been buggin' me.

Seing as NHL 15 is the first new "current gen" release, and that this first release been gutted out of so many modes and features, it feels like we've been presented a demo.

Is it exciting, enticing and promising ? Yeah ! Damn right it is ! I can't wait for NHL 16.

But as promising as it is, releasing it to the public at this point sends a message to my ears that I just can't agree with. This message is: "Good ! We're glad that you like it. But for now, that's as much as we can do...and we need YOU to finance our product, so we can take this demo to a full-game statuts next year. Because as of right now, we can't afford to skip this year's title, we need the money to bring it to the next level".

And as customers...well, I don't think it's quite our job now, is it ? Sure, I know...we are financing upcoming games by buying the one before. But we do it by buying full games. The part where you have to finance a studio in order to take a demo to the next level...that's the publisher's part ! Not the customers !

So it feels like EA's saying: "We like where you going with this, and we know you need more time, ressources and money to complete the job. However, we're not ready to pay for it. So we'll let our customers pay."

NHL 15 is nothing more than a kickstarter campaign !!! But with a poor attempt to disguise it as something else. That's what's bugging me !!!

# 18 turbineseaplane @ 09/08/14 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
To everyone not buying this game because of the missing game modes, Walmart will most likely give you 40 dollars for this game into November/December so if you buy it for 60 dollars, play it for a month or two it would only really cost you 20 dollars. It makes no sense not to buy it if you were planning on buying it to begin with
The only potential flaw in that logic this go around is if sales are bad up front.

If they are, you're likely to see the Amazon's and Wal-marts with discounts on new copies much sooner and thus buy-back prices will be in the tank as a result.

Only time will tell.

# 19 canucksss @ 09/08/14 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
Thats not the point...of paying this eventually at $20.

THe point is..you're still giving EA the initial sale of a product that is bare in its essential.

# 20 ZB9 @ 09/08/14 02:44 PM
Is it worth it if all I play is ranked head to head online? (X1)

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.