Home
NHL 15 News Post

Have NHL 15
? Want to know what others think of the game before you give it a buy? This is the place for you.

Once you've played the game, post your impressions here. If you have questions about the game, please post them in the Q&A thread. This thread is for impressions only.

What do you think of NHL 15 so far?

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jake19ny @ 09/09/14 12:51 PM
I see a lot of gameplay impressions posted and I'm going to dive into gameplay and sliders in a few minutes to see if the game is playable but I'm not sure why because it looks like offline season gamers like me are screwed. I was hoping I could find a way to make BeaGM work to play a season and I'm not sure I can. Here the things I have found already most of it bad:

Good:
1) The schedule for year one seems to be the real schedule
2) The simmed games had fairly good scoring and variety

that's where the good ends

Bad:
1) You cannot set it to just one season it has a minimum of 5 seasons. Not that big of a deal you can just play the one anyway
2) You can turn off salary cap, CPU to CPU trades but that does not stop them from offering you idiotic trades. 6 games in (simmed) and the Stars offered me Horcoff for 2 no names on in the AHL. restarted a season and 6 games in (simmed again) Dallas offerd the same trade for 2 other no names....weird
3) You have to deal with constant notifications about scouts and other crap I would just assume avoid if I could play season mode
4) Not being able to control all teams is a huge problem. Forget about keeping up with the real rosters as you cannot force trades. Even set on easy I tried to get Parise from the Wild for a few minor leaguers and they wouldn't budge. This is an issue because the only way to keep the rosters realistic with the NHL season would be to trade the player to your team then send him off to his rightful new team. So you may be able to swing many trades this way but if a big name player goes to another team around the trade deadline for virtually nothing good luck making it happen. You also cannot control who the CPU teams call up and down
5) Not being able to edit players is a joke. If you trade a goalie he will wear your teams mask but wear his old colored pads. I traded for Backstrom and he wore Lundqvists mask but had the green and red on his pads still....amazing they have even more goalie gear this year and no way to use it except on a created player. On a side note there several new masks (Arizona, Dallas, Montreal, NYR, Winnipeg, and Vancouver) the rest are the same old same old.

4 and 5 may be the real deal breaker for me I could have dealt with the rest and could maybe find sliders to make the game playable but without roster control (which apparently you only get in season mode) and player edit this game may be useless to me. Rammers answers on both lead me to believe they will not be in an update but rather NHL 16

To the poster above yes it has player create

UPDATE: There is also a problem in the menus. In BeaGM when you set your settings on the first page and then move on to advanced settings it keeps resetting the first page it also does this with sliders. If you set quick settings then change advanced it resets the quick settings menu.....ugh

# 22 m_maclean24 @ 09/09/14 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlutherdavis
could someone who has this game for ps4 tell me whether there is a create a player option or not? ive heard yes and no - please help. if it has it ill buy it, if not i wont. thanks in advance
Game has create a player, but no edit player.

# 23 jimlutherdavis @ 09/09/14 12:53 PM
thank you m_mclaine

# 24 PES3Paul @ 09/09/14 12:58 PM

# 25 gopher_guy @ 09/09/14 12:58 PM
I think it's pretty simple, folks.

The people who care about things like editing player equipment, EASHL, etc, etc, etc, aren't going to like the game.

People like me, who are just looking for a fun hockey game to play, will enjoy it.

I've played one game, and I had fun with it. The game looks fantastic, and plays pretty smoothly. I think once I figure out a good set of sliders, I will really enjoy it.

The jump from 360 to XB1, and the fact that I skipped NHL 14, I'm glad I bought this game.

# 26 PES3Paul @ 09/09/14 01:00 PM

# 27 PES3Paul @ 09/09/14 01:14 PM
Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-15

Critics: 61 (PS4 version)
Gamers: 3.4/10

# 28 EliJ27 @ 09/09/14 01:31 PM
Problem...
I like to customize my game alot to my liking and here's a couple issues about CAP that i really don't like

in create a player you can't even edit a goalies pad color, custom faces are gone, you have to pick from the generic faces they put in the game, the word bank for your player name is really shrunken down, no more option to tuck in jerseys so you have to deal with the stupid things waving around the whole time..

Can't really put your home town in the game those options are really limited as well.

The one change I did like however is that you can actually set desired years for a contract of your created player.

In all i just kinda wish they would give you complete freedom in the game to do whatever you want, tweak it however you want, just give us complete control over a game that we pay nearly $70 for..

# 29 cake612 @ 09/09/14 01:41 PM
I played about 5 games online last night, one HUT and the rest H2H. The HUT game had a little lag but the other games ran super smooth which is good at least. I really don't notice a huge difference in gameplay. It's good and I didn't see any physics weirdness like Madden gets once in awhile but it's a bunch of smaller changes and nothing really jumps out at me right away as being a huge difference.

Yeah, don't really know what else to say, it is a solid functioning game of hockey on the ice especially for H2H play. Losing OTP is a huge blow, and it's also complete BS they don't have seasons in online H2H just HUT. I never dive that deep into GM mode anyways so not really sure how the AI compares in just single player games.

Also when watch the intro video again is an option on your main menu, perhaps you should hold off on shipping the game until you have enough modes to fill up the first screen of the menu.

# 30 gopher_guy @ 09/09/14 01:51 PM
I think the ice degradation is a little over done.

# 31 SVCbearcat10 @ 09/09/14 01:52 PM
Some of the initial reviews turned this from a no buy to a buy from me. I don't care to edit players, nor to I play online outside of the occassion game to mix it up. If you enjoy playing a hockey video because you like the sport, rather than spending your time in the menus, then it is a buy.

Unlike MLB the Show, what I don't like with EA games is the inability to delegate certain tasks automatically (like scouting). I'm one of those who usually lets the CPU do most of the stuff, outside of major trades or signing top 2 line players. All I care about is how it plays hockey and it does a great job at that.

Side note, poor positioning, unlucky puck bounces, bad goalie positioning happens all the time in the NHL. We expect everyone in a video game to play perfect when it doesn't happen in real life. Goalies give up awful, soft goals almost every game. Sometimes the shooter just beats him even though he's in position. Defenders get caught flat footed, out of position multiple times a game. The game does a good job simulating those aspects. You remember the 2 or 3 bad plays that give up goals and think the AI is awful but forget the other 90% of the game where they were doing their job... just like in real life.

In the end, if you care about gamplay, then it's a buy. If you like more of the team management aspects rather than playing the game, then I'd pass. It's that simple.

# 32 franch1se @ 09/09/14 01:52 PM
How does drew doughty...arguably the Kings best player and a top 5 D, and a finalist for the cover not have a cyber face?

Anyways,

Puck physics are really good, I'm enjoying that.
Obviously the graphics are really good, I have it on the PS4.
Most of the game modes missing do not really bother me as I am an offline GM mode player only and it appears a few missing pieces may be patched in.

I'm enjoying this game so far.

# 33 adayinthelife @ 09/09/14 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I think the ice degradation is a little over done.
It's actually one of my favourite upgrades, personally...

Played a game yesterday on the Access version where I spent almost the entire 2nd period in the attacking zone. Was neat to see how chewed up the ice was down there vs. my own end, and I like the sense of depth it gives to the surface.

# 34 Thrash13 @ 09/09/14 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
I think it's pretty simple, folks.

The people who care about things like editing player equipment, EASHL, etc, etc, etc, aren't going to like the game.

People like me, who are just looking for a fun hockey game to play, will enjoy it.
That's how I feel about it as well. The fact FIFA 15 comes out so soon after this game's release will probably be the reason I don't get it for awhile, but the lack of modes isn't the reason for me. I just like how FIFA is looking this year more. My son and I played the demo last night, and the game looks great and plays pretty well. I think people wanting a fun hockey game that looks great will be very happy with this one. I might get it on Black Friday if it's on the cheap, but there are just a couple games ahead of it right now on my radar.

# 35 jes5ant @ 09/09/14 01:59 PM
Trade deadline day has been completely nerfed. It is no different than any other day. I got one trade request which is declined and that was it.

# 36 canucksss @ 09/09/14 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES3Paul
Who is trusting IGN in their reviews of games produced by these giant corporations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
I see a lot of gameplay impressions posted and I'm going to dive into gameplay and sliders in a few minutes to see if the game is playable but I'm not sure why because it looks like offline season gamers like me are screwed. I was hoping I could find a way to make BeaGM work to play a season and I'm not sure I can. Here the things I have found already most of it bad:

UPDATE: There is also a problem in the menus. In BeaGM when you set your settings on the first page and then move on to advanced settings it keeps resetting the first page it also does this with sliders. If you set quick settings then change advanced it resets the quick settings menu.....ugh
I am waiting for the copy from my nephew who used to be a game designer in EA. He still get some free stuffs from his buddies working in EA and in return receive games from the company where my nephew works. I'll be posting my take exclusive in BaGM.

Anyhow, can you tell me if you notice the amount of penalties in your games? What difficulty ar you using....AS/Sim? Do you notice the AI defense in particular Neutral zone? Also, is your AI teammates smarter? I will be focusing on these later. Thanks.

# 37 ddhex27 @ 09/09/14 02:33 PM
This is by far the most fun and organic feeling hockey game ever made by EA. The effort put into getting the puck physics right paid huge dividends in the gameplay department, because the puck feels natural.

I am also finding that the skill stick is much improved from the demo and allows for faster response on the left and right deke moves.

It's kind of amazing that probably the best core hockey gameplay experience EA has ever made is going to get lost in all the hoopla surrounding missing features.

# 38 turbineseaplane @ 09/09/14 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhex27
This is by far the most fun and organic feeling hockey game ever made by EA. The effort put into getting the puck physics right paid huge dividends in the gameplay department, because the puck feels natural.

I am also finding that the skill stick is much improved from the demo and allows for faster response on the left and right deke moves.

It's kind of amazing that probably the best core hockey gameplay experience EA has ever made is going to get lost in all the hoopla surrounding missing features.
It's not amazing at all - The gameplay only matters to most people if the modes are there for people to *use* the game with.

Gameplay and presentation are only 1/2 the enchilada

# 39 jake19ny @ 09/09/14 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
Who is trusting IGN in their reviews of games produced by these giant corporations?

I am waiting for the copy from my nephew who used to be a game designer in EA. He still get some free stuffs from his buddies working in EA and in return receive games from the company where my nephew works. I'll be posting my take exclusive in BaGM.

Anyhow, can you tell me if you notice the amount of penalties in your games? What difficulty ar you using....AS/Sim? Do you notice the AI defense in particular Neutral zone? Also, is your AI teammates smarter? I will be focusing on these later. Thanks.
I have not spent much time in games I only played 2. But I played them on Pro/Hardcore Simulation 11 minute periods I had 2 power plays total CPU had none......Not happy about that. I like the gameplay for the most part but cheesy goals are still there and sometimes bad CPU/Team Mate AI rears its ugly head.

Another stripped down mode is CREATE A PLAYER check it out and prepare to be like WTF......

# 40 Money99 @ 09/09/14 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_maclean24
I'm not catching what was wrong with that? Are you pointing out that the defencemen were caught flat footed on a tipped pass? as someone said a few posts back...this happens...
I agree.
not only that, but the errant pass went to a teammate. In my experience, normally errant passes almost always go to the other team.

I thought the goal was nice and had some organic moments to it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.