Home
FIFA 15 News Post

Early access to FIFA 15 is available now for EA Access subscribers with a six hour gameplay limit.

As most of you are already aware, this includes time spent in the menus as well. So make sure you close out of the game and the app to be sure the timer stops.

Play a few matches and post your impressions.

Game: FIFA 15Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
FIFA 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Qb @ 09/22/14 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg
I have two questions I could really use some help with.

1). How do I use a player's strength to win headers/win loose balls? I see the cpu do it all the time but even with stronger players I feel like am I just getting shoved around.

2). How much is your current speed and direction impact your aim on manual? I've been trying to play all manual in the demo because I hear that once you get over the learning curve it offers a big tactical advantage but both my shots and passes are horribly misplaced. I am generally aiming at where I want the ball but most of the time it seems to go off. Am I missing something fundamental or is it just something I have to practice to get decent with. Is manual on fifa 15 better/more usable then previous games?

Sorry about the long questions but I've been playing a ton of the demo and it's been annoying me lately. Thanks for any help you guys can give!
1. Sprinting seems to negate strength, so try slowing down before engaging. I find L2 to be helpful in fighting for position or holding someone off, but it's tricky to time it properly when going for a loose ball. As for heading, I've always had some trouble with timing them, but I think the key is to press & release the button just before the ball arrives. I think.

EDIT: Found a video that explains protecting the ball, which can also apply to 50/50s:

2. Going manual is worth it, so hang in there. Shooting is the hardest to master, as the aiming window is camera relative and usually very small. It's a fine line between shooting straight at the keeper, picking a corner, and missing embarrassingly wide. Body positioning, movement, defenders, etc all play a part as well, so you need to be OK with putting a few in the stands. The pros miss all the time!

The other parts should come with experience. I think default pass speed is a little slow, especially for manual users, but not too big an obstacle. Manual lobs, crosses, and through balls open up the gameplay and create some things you just won't see with assisted controls. Head-to-head manual matches aren't perfect, but they're pretty damn good and light years beyond the random assisted ones.

# 122 orion523 @ 09/22/14 02:46 PM
My biggest gripe thus far centers around defending, or the lack of it. Maybe it's just a "getting used to it thing" but the game just feels too attack centered with defending being an afterthought. Almost every possession ends with a chance on goal, and 1v1 battles lean heavily in the favor of the offense. Once midnight strikes and I get the full version hopefully I'll figure this out.
If not, PES is looking better and better with each passing video.

# 123 BL8001 @ 09/22/14 03:27 PM
Skills 1-4 star. Had to post it from my PC, iPad still not working on this site.

# 124 BearsNVA @ 09/22/14 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
Ok thank you. It doesn't sound too bad. I know we can change things with the tactics and the individual assignments but I still don't think we should have to do that. It should be done already especially for the bigger leagues/teams IMO. At least they change tactics now which is a plus.
I agree 100%.......but

It would 1000x's better if they would add a "share," feature for sliders, and team tactics like EA has done for Madden regarding rosters and sliders.

With the community on these boards and all the great work that goes into tactics and sliders, having a way to upload them for others to use would be amazing.

In other words. I could deal more with teams not playing like their real life counterparts if EA gave us a way to share how we fixed the issue at hand.

I'm not too upset though. They finally fixed the team sheets after decades.

# 125 BearsNVA @ 09/22/14 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion523
I get what you were saying and the reasoning behind it, I just disagree with it being necessary. But in the end it doesn't matter what I think about how you play the game lol. Sliders are a way to tailor difficulty and game style to your personal tastes, and if using unbalanced speed sliders does that for you then cool!
My only point was that there is no artificial speed boost built into the game that allows slower players to keep up with faster ones.
Orion, haven't seen anything by you since NCAA last year, and FIFA pre next gen launch. Are you next gen now? Or have I just been glazed over mentally when reading the FIFA next gen postings?

Either way, good to see you!

# 126 twigg @ 09/22/14 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
1. Sprinting seems to negate strength, so try slowing down before engaging. I find L2 to be helpful in fighting for position or holding someone off, but it's tricky to time it properly when going for a loose ball. As for heading, I've always had some trouble with timing them, but I think the key is to press & release the button just before the ball arrives. I think.

EDIT: Found a video that explains protecting the ball, which can also apply to 50/50s:

2. Going manual is worth it, so hang in there. Shooting is the hardest to master, as the aiming window is camera relative and usually very small. It's a fine line between shooting straight at the keeper, picking a corner, and missing embarrassingly wide. Body positioning, movement, defenders, etc all play a part as well, so you need to be OK with putting a few in the stands. The pros miss all the time!

The other parts should come with experience. I think default pass speed is a little slow, especially for manual users, but not too big an obstacle. Manual lobs, crosses, and through balls open up the gameplay and create some things you just won't see with assisted controls. Head-to-head manual matches aren't perfect, but they're pretty damn good and light years beyond the random assisted ones.
Thanks a ton for the info man, and that video was exactly was I was looking for.

# 127 Gnemi @ 09/22/14 06:00 PM
Quote:
My biggest gripe thus far centers around defending, or the lack of it. Maybe it's just a "getting used to it thing" but the game just feels too attack centered with defending being an afterthought. Almost every possession ends with a chance on goal, and 1v1 battles lean heavily in the favor of the offense. Once midnight strikes and I get the full version hopefully I'll figure this out.
If not, PES is looking better and better with each passing video.
This was exactly mine as well, not to mention the speed with which these attacking chances occur and the sheer quality of them. It's not like we're talking about a speculative shot from 20+ yards. I'm seeing within the first 30 seconds (real time) of a match, the CPU is blasting it at my keeper from 8-10 yards out. I quickly try to get my $%#@ together, string together a few passes just *knowing* that the moment I lose possession, the CPU is going to ram the ball down my throat immediately.

I was hoping that was just the demo + lack of sliders + lack of individual player AI management (which on paper should be a revolutionary change to FIFA's gameplay). You played the 6 hour early access build. Is that not the same as retail? Anyway, we'll all know much more later this evening!

# 128 bad_philanthropy @ 09/22/14 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonadrk
Why are the players stick figures? Most if not all seem to be WAY TOO skinny. Just my opinion, though

Did you not see Lambert for Liverpool in the demo? Dude looks like a bodybuilder.

# 129 jeffjr1980 @ 09/22/14 07:19 PM
I think the biggest thing Fifa needs is two different playing styles, one being default which could be the back and forth attacking with lackluster defending, the other being simulation, doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do.

# 130 torpidbeaver @ 09/22/14 07:39 PM
I'm guessing this has already been asked a few times, so I apologize, but have the OP headers been toned down this year? I wasn't a fan of that from last year's game.

# 131 BL8001 @ 09/22/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
I'm guessing this has already been asked a few times, so I apologize, but have the OP headers been toned down this year? I wasn't a fan of that from last year's game.

Yes. But not in the way you would think.

Crossing has been nerfed. If I can connect a cross, the header is on target but getting the cross to go to who you want is much tougher this year.

# 132 orion523 @ 09/23/14 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
Orion, haven't seen anything by you since NCAA last year, and FIFA pre next gen launch. Are you next gen now? Or have I just been glazed over mentally when reading the FIFA next gen postings?

Either way, good to see you!
Ha, I think you've been glazed over, been NG since day one(both systems) and I've been here. Been trying to play Madden, but the sack bug is killing it for me so that's shelved until they fix it now it's on to FIFA, sliders incoming soon once they allow me to play the damn game! I preordered through the PS4 store and even tho I'm on the east coast I'm still locked out for two and a half more hours, grrrrrrrrr

# 133 steelerfan @ 09/23/14 01:54 AM
Quote:
Ha, I think you've been glazed over, been NG since day one(both systems) and I've been here. Been trying to play Madden, but the sack bug is killing it for me so that's shelved until they fix it now it's on to FIFA, sliders incoming soon once they allow me to play the damn game! I preordered through the PS4 store and even tho I'm on the east coast I'm still locked out for two and a half more hours, grrrrrrrrr
I feel you frustration. I'm in the Central Time Zone. For NHL the digital copy unlocked at 12 Eastern (11 my time).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

# 134 Gnemi @ 09/23/14 02:06 AM
I prepaid the PC version and downloaded while working today. Fired it up for three quick games at 9pm Pacific Time on Professional / Slow / All Manual. I couldn't help it, I had to reduce the Sprint & Accel sliders, otherwise I left it on defaults.

Overall, I feel like this might be the year of Be Careful What You Wish For. Last year's game was $%#@ing excellent, admittedly, but it was also a bit stilted in terms of pace, movement, variety of scoring. The two biggest flaws were the overpowered crossing / headed goals (on corners it was far too easy to score goals even after the patches) *and* the penalties. I hope both are fixed this year. I also didn't like how crammed it was in midfield and the deflections and toe-poke tackles were crazy.

All of that seems to be fixed this year, but it feels a bit like a cartoon for lack of better description. That has something to do with the physics and a lot to do with the models and textures. Ibra and Mertesacker look like fcking flesh golems out there. They're ENORMOUS. Then, conversely, I was running alongside Mertesacker with Aaron Ramsay and he looked like a midget. They went a bit over the top with these models. Oh well. It's something different, I'll give them credit for that!

Attacking feels incredibly fluid this year and, small sample size, but I was drubbing Derby County with PSG 3-0 at half. Ibrahimovic is indeed a beast in this game. Then, I played Arsenal and scoring opportunities for both sides were few and far between. Played to 0-0 draw.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with difficulty settings, but I may be playing on Pro this year. It feels good to me. We'll see.

So, after a few short games playing the retail version, dare I say it but I was having...fun! Last year's game was brutal but rewarding. This year, we might all have to indulge a sort of nostalgic 16-bit era enjoyment and manage our expectations considerably when it comes to the simulation side of the equation.

# 135 BL8001 @ 09/23/14 08:01 AM
I agree gnemi. That's an accurate first impression.

I tried dynamic cam last night and at first hated the closeness, then noticed how when you can see the player movement so close like that the moves become silky. I was pulling off some intricate interplay between my players.

It's very bizarre how this game plays differently when you use different cameras. I actually think that is clever coding because some of the cams are borderline unplayable (because of the view) but interesting. And if the cpu was all over you with any camera view some of those quirky cams would be impossible to play with.

Then this happened. Luckily I was up 2-0 at the time. Toulouse banged in a goal about 2 minutes later to make it a nervy final 20'

This is probably a foul.

# 136 Qb @ 09/23/14 09:33 AM
Haha, he ran over to taunt you with a muscle flex... Pure emotion!

We now have a retail impressions thread.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.