Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

According to the PlayStation.Blog, it doesn’t look like we will see an NBA 2K15 demo this week. Demos typically release 2 weeks before the game releases to stores, which means we probably won't see one this year, for the second year in a row.

We have reached out to 2K for confirmation and will update this post when we hear back.

UPDATE: Just received confirmation, there will be no NBA 2K15 demo this year.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 UnbelievablyRAW @ 09/21/14 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtelford
Why couldn't you wait till a few weeks after release? Hover these forums and see what people think, and when I say people I mean people that aren't trolling, but actually giving constructive feedback. But no demo pushed you over the edge? Ok. That makes a lot of sense.
All the feedback (mostly positive) was present last year on these forums. I didn't sign up last week, this cycle of hype happens every year and I'm now not going to get caught up in it.

There was no demo last year but all the promises of no sliding on defense by the CPU, better onball defense, better rebounding, better blocking, footplanting etc were assured to be in the game. What we got was a beta form of those gameplay features with delayed controls (next gen) on defense making picking up ballhandlers a nightmare, defensive rotations by the CPU were awful, offense players with certain sig skills being able to laugh at "rim protectors" as they easily score over them, etc

For people who aren't content with a high scoring, low defense basketball experience, 2k14 is a disappointment gameplay wise. No demo this year, along with the lack of insight into the core gameplay, and not things like 2kTV, mocapped cheerleaders and Shaq commentary, means I won't get to see if the core gameplay mechanics have been improved.....unless I buy the game and find out.

I'll pass on that

# 102 aholbert32 @ 09/21/14 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
All the feedback (mostly positive) was present last year on these forums. I didn't sign up last week, this cycle of hype happens every year and I'm now not going to get caught up in it.

There was no demo last year but all the promises of no sliding on defense by the CPU, better onball defense, better rebounding, better blocking, footplanting etc were assured to be in the game. What we got was a beta form of those gameplay features with delayed controls (next gen) on defense making picking up ballhandlers a nightmare, defensive rotations by the CPU were awful, offense players with certain sig skills being able to laugh at "rim protectors" as they easily score over them, etc

For people who aren't content with a high scoring, low defense basketball experience, 2k14 is a disappointment gameplay wise. No demo this year, along with the lack of insight into the core gameplay, and not things like 2kTV, mocapped cheerleaders and Shaq commentary, means I won't get to see if the core gameplay mechanics have been improved.....unless I buy the game and find out.

I'll pass on that
Or rent it?

# 103 Shadojoker @ 09/21/14 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Legit competition with PES and many dont consider FIFA the best soccer game when it comes to gameplay. The right demo can convince someone
that their gameplay has changed.

Thats why Live should release a demo because they are trying to convince ppl to buy its game instead of 2k.
Exactly! ! If EA sports released a kick *** demo then 2k would've followed suit. Whatever.

# 104 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 09/21/14 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
All I need is gameplay, seeing what level of control I have. If it forces me into animations, and out of position defensively, that's where I get aggravated.
I know exactly what you mean man so if it helps on release day I could give you honest feedback on it . I get frustrated with that too.

# 105 Sinner @ 09/21/14 10:41 PM
On another note never really thought about how it takes time away from the retail version to put a demo together.

Just assumed they had the game on a disk from an earlier stage of development and put it out there. If not getting a demo means they can put more time into the retail version till release time I can do without ever getting a demo personally. I could be in the minority there.

# 106 23 @ 09/21/14 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
On another note never really thought about how it takes time away from the retail version to put a demo together.

Just assumed they had the game on a disk from an earlier stage of development and put it out there. If not getting a demo means they can put more time into the retail version till release time I can do without ever getting a demo personally. I could be in the minority there.

No I'm with you personally I don't need it if it makes better for the game

# 107 Cowboy008 @ 09/21/14 11:36 PM
I figured we wouldn't be getting a demo. It's not a big deal to me since I already have it pre-ordered.

# 108 Boilerbuzz @ 09/22/14 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
This just pushed me over the edge to wait until next year.
If this takes you off the fence, you were never on it. Hypothetically speaking, if this turns out to be the best version ever, you would have passed on it because they didn't release a demo. That would be classic!

Some of you guys are something else. Just be honest. You want a free appetizer. That's it. "Cheap" and "selfish" are the harsh words for it. But I don't judge because I'm there with you. But I'm being honest about it. :P

If you need a demo to convince you, I guarantee you'll find something to keep you on the fence. It's a short dev cycle, folks. All the nitpickers would be the first hecklers talking about, "why didn't they focus more time on fixing this?!" Well, because they killed 2 weeks just making a demo and money on top of that. For what? To convince some tiny group that's been living under a rock to try a basketball game they wouldn't buy on the first day anyway? That's dumb. By that time, they can try the trial. Or try a friends copy. But this is the most important reason - spend that time making the game better! Screw a demo that people will hate on anyway.

And for those claiming they want to test the servers? Really? Unfinished servers on an unfinished version of the game? Yeah, I'm sure they're smart enough to know that this would be LESS reliable than a release version. Or are they smart enough? I don't know.

Finally to those talking about competition. If you think it's smart to make last minute decisions based on whether or not you think have competition, you're clearly not qualified to run business. People asked why they released one for 2k13. Um, because they had the time to do it! Wasn't a short cycle. There were no next gen versions to ship. Demo would be nice. But it a luxury. We're not entitled to them. If we don't like it, don't buy the game like this dude! It's a weak reason, but a valid reason - to make a political statement. It's like those people that don't eat at Chick fil A because they don't like the opinions of the founder. Not because the food sucks or because it's expensive.

# 109 SPRINGS03 @ 09/22/14 02:52 AM
^I don't think it's stupid like you're making it sound that some people are apprehensive about not having a demo and that it influences their decision to spend money on a product. I mean why do you think people give out free samples at places? So people can try out their product and see what they think of a little taste of it. Wanting a demo is hardly "cheap and selfish". A lot of games release demos.

There had been times with 2k when i played a demo and thought it felt nice, and i could notice little differences with the game compared to the previous year. How exactly would that be a bad thing? The only reason i can understand you not wanting or caring about a demo is because it's time that could be used working on the finished product, i can agree with that. But other than that. I can't see any valid reasons for you to be so anti demo honestly. If that's your main reason, fair enough.

The "nitpickers" as you say, could very easily be influenced through a demo to purchase a product they were apprehensive about if they felt something they "nitpicked" was improved from before. You never know. You definitely can't guarantee that if someone needs a demo to help influence their purchase that they'll find something else to keep em on the fence though lol.

The only problem i have with no demo is now i have to listen to word of mouth for a while,instead of seeing what the game is like first hand before deciding on buying or not. And a lot of people don't know much about nba 2k so their opinions aren't gonna mean much. I remember back in the day when ign reviewed nba 2k12 or 13(maybe 11) they said something about "a great new feature is that you can change your shot in mid layup or dunk" when that feature had been in 2k for years lol.

# 110 swac07 @ 09/22/14 03:18 AM
No demo? No problem I kinda know what to expect with 2k so its still a buy for me. I think the 360 and PS3 spoiled us with demos(which isnt a bad thing) , heck I remember the days when in order to EVEN get a demo of a game you had to buy a gaming magazine .(it came with a gaming dvd)...and the disc was filled with so much fluff and maybe a 2 min demo of the game you wanted to play

# 111 Goffs @ 09/22/14 04:44 AM
Preordered already....with or without demo I need my bball fix and 2k/VC has provided that since the Dreamcast days.

# 112 YoungBuck3 @ 09/22/14 05:23 AM
I'm usually very sceptical of games that don't release a demo nowadays, but 2K has instilled enough faith in me over the years that I don't need one. I've already got the game ordered, only benefit of the demo for me would have been the possibility of getting a little bit of a fix before the full game releases.

# 113 The 24th Letter @ 09/22/14 05:55 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with choosing not to purchase the game because there's no demo IMO...or any other reason.

Hey, if 2k was "always on" again this year I would've had to take a long hard look at buying myself...as much as I have enjoyed 2k, I don't think I could do that again.

Either way, a lot of the guys who claim they aren't purchasing will be right here on release week because their "cousin gave it to them" or they "played it at a friends house" so they can post some issues, lol

# 114 spankdatazz22 @ 09/22/14 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
^I don't think it's stupid like you're making it sound that some people are apprehensive about not having a demo and that it influences their decision to spend money on a product. I mean why do you think people give out free samples at places? So people can try out their product and see what they think of a little taste of it. Wanting a demo is hardly "cheap and selfish". A lot of games release demos.
And a lot of games don't release demos - what difference does it make? This isn't some new IP or reimagining of the series. As has been essentially said, it doesn't make sense for 2K to waste time developing a demo to sway someone that is that damn fickle. Historically, 2K's demos have been pretty bare to begin with. You can't sit around being hyper-detailed on what issues you have in the game then expect most/all to be answered with a 5min quarter demo. These are people that are looking more for reasons not to buy than anything.

The excuses are borderline ridiculous. Complaining that 2K didn't release a gameplay dev diary? Basically complaining that 2K didn't tell them what they wanted to hear - when they're accusing 2K of not telling the truth to begin with...? If 2K had released a demo, it would've been some other complaint:

- It's too short.
- It's not online.
- Doesn't have access to [whatever feature the person deems important].
- Can't tell if simulated stats are fixed.

It would be any number of excuses/complaints just so they can keep complaining. Even if 2K'd knocked a demo out of the park, I'm sure the excuse would've been "It's just a demo/not the final version". Most of us would like to have a demo just to have something to try out/play in the time between now and when the game releases. But basing your whole opinion on whether the game has a demo or not? Then do yourself - and us - a favor by not purchasing the game. It's an unrealistic expectation that it's going to play completely different than it did when it released 9 months ago, when most were acknowledging it was one of the best playing basketball games to date.

# 115 El_Poopador @ 09/22/14 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
And a lot of games don't release demos - what difference does it make? This isn't some new IP or reimagining of the series. As has been essentially said, it doesn't make sense for 2K to waste time developing a demo to sway someone that is that damn fickle. Historically, 2K's demos have been pretty bare to begin with. You can't sit around being hyper-detailed on what issues you have in the game then expect most/all to be answered with a 5min quarter demo. These are people that are looking more for reasons not to buy than anything.
I am incredibly disappointed that there will be no demo. The main reason being because it makes me feel that on-court issues I had last year weren't touched. We still have yet to see any information about actual gameplay, controls, AI, footplanting, spacing, etc. So yes, a demo, to me, is crucial to see if those things have been fixed.

Quote:
The excuses are borderline ridiculous. Complaining that 2K didn't release a gameplay dev diary? Basically complaining that 2K didn't tell them what they wanted to hear - when they're accusing 2K of not telling the truth to begin with...? If 2K had released a demo, it would've been some other complaint:

- It's too short.
- It's not online.
- Doesn't have access to [whatever feature the person deems important].
- Can't tell if simulated stats are fixed.

It would be any number of excuses/complaints just so they can keep complaining.
Anyone who complains about those things in a demo is being unrealistic. A demo is meant to showcase gameplay, and sometimes, some presentation elements. Obviously you're not going to see those things. But at the end of the day, most people will spend the majority of their time with the game on the court, controlling the players. If that's no different than last year, all the modes in the world won't mean as much. Releasing a demo is a prime opportunity to show that they didn't just rehash the on-court game.

Quote:
Even if 2K'd knocked a demo out of the park, I'm sure the excuse would've been "It's just a demo/not the final version". Most of us would like to have a demo just to have something to try out/play in the time between now and when the game releases. But basing your whole opinion on whether the game has a demo or not? Then do yourself - and us - a favor by not purchasing the game. It's an unrealistic expectation that it's going to play completely different than it did when it released 9 months ago, when most were acknowledging it was one of the best playing basketball games to date.
I don't think anyone is expecting a completely different game. But it certainly had its share of issues with gameplay. Why is it wrong to not want to pay $60 before making sure it's worth it?

# 116 countryboy @ 09/22/14 08:02 AM
I honestly could careless that there isn't a demo. The only thing the 2k demos ever did for me was get me back into the controls, nothing else.

IMO, its impossible to really make a purchasing decision based on the demo because in all honesty, its an old build. I would think the demo would have to be a build that was made 2 months prior to the release of the product due to having to have time to submit through their own testing and then Microsoft/Sony approval, to get it out in time for gamers to try it out.

For me, demos aren't for making decisions on how great a game is or isn't, but more for seeing if you like the concept of a particular game. If you want to make a buying decision, read reviews, check OS, play at a friends, or wait and find it used at like Gamestop, buy and if you don't like in a few days, return it.

# 117 DBMcGee3 @ 09/22/14 08:41 AM
Didn't see this one coming, but I don't mind renting the game for a couple of weeks before I buy. From what I've seen, it's still the best hoops game available, but it would have been nice to get a little hands on time for free. I guess the word "free" will be less prevalent in the gaming industry going forward.

# 118 DaImmaculateONe @ 09/22/14 09:13 AM
Did nba 2k get Kevin Hart to be in a commercial too?

# 119 Boilerbuzz @ 09/22/14 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
I didn't say it was stupid. I do say it's a weak excuse because we all know what the game plays like, and we also know that those little issues can't be evaluated in the demos.

Quote:
There had been times with 2k when i played a demo and thought it felt nice, and i could notice little differences with the game compared to the previous year. How exactly would that be a bad thing?
Not saying it's a bad thing. Especially for the consumer. But it's not free. It takes time away from the final product with little to no benefit to anyone in the long run.

Quote:
The only reason i can understand you not wanting or caring about a demo is because it's time that could be used working on the finished product, i can agree with that.
Bingo! Isn't that enough? Again, this is a shortened dev cycle.

Quote:
But other than that. I can't see any valid reasons for you to be so anti demo honestly. If that's your main reason, fair enough.
I'm completely pro demo. I am just anti-"flipping out because there is no" demo.

Quote:
The "nitpickers" as you say, could very easily be influenced through a demo to purchase a product they were apprehensive about if they felt something they "nitpicked" was improved from before. You never know.
In my opinion, the Nits fall into 2 primary categories:

1. The hardcore superfan that obsesses over getting that perfect experience. Never be satisfied, but the game is so close. They love the game and the sport and will get it anyway. Already preordered it! Demo can only move the needle down.

2. The anti-fanboy that dreams up vague or real issues and look for any excuse to downplay and criticize the game. Normally fans of the competitor and look for any excuse big or small, real or exaggerated, to not buy the game. Demo doesn't move the needle with these people.

Quote:
You definitely can't guarantee that if someone needs a demo to help influence their purchase that they'll find something else to keep em on the fence though lol.
True. I can't. Just my opinion.

Quote:
The only problem i have with no demo is now i have to listen to word of mouth for a while,instead of seeing what the game is like first hand before deciding on buying or not.
True. But you don't have to buy it Day 1. When it release, the new consoles have trials. Or I'm sure people have a friend or two that will have it.

Quote:
And a lot of people don't know much about nba 2k so their opinions aren't gonna mean much. I remember back in the day when ign reviewed nba 2k12 or 13(maybe 11) they said something about "a great new feature is that you can change your shot in mid layup or dunk" when that feature had been in 2k for years lol.

Yeah. That's when you get FPS idiots reviewing games they don't play. But, to be fair, there a lot of casual fans that don't know every feature.

# 120 and1product @ 09/22/14 09:38 AM
I cant lie, not having a demo kinda stinks but there are so many other games to play right now that i probably would have played the demo for a minute and moved on to another game. The fall season always gets me and my wife to argue budget wise. So i'm not that upset about not having a demo this time around.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.