Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Da_Czar has checked in with this new NBA 2K15 video, featuring the evolution of the freelance offense.

Lyrics and beats by @SageInfinite and @_RobDavis, respectively.

Watch the video and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 datking1 @ 09/26/14 04:17 PM
offense looked nice and encouraging!!!

Unfortunately defense still looked atrocious especially on the picks...maybe its the animations that they use but something needs to be done on that side of the ball or it will just be an offense game like it has been for so many years

# 102 Guapo516 @ 09/26/14 04:26 PM
What they've done is amazing! I just hope the actual movement and stick response is more like ps3/Xbox 360 because it felt way better on the ps3/xbox360 versions. The game moves at light speed for some reason on Xbox one/ps4, it really was disappointing to me.

# 103 Taer @ 09/26/14 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
[/b]

For the Spurs swing motion O to design implement and test your talking 1.5 months of 80 hour weeks fam. Every team is just not possible in the time I had. LOL. Yall trying to kill a Czar round here.
Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We are all excited to see the fruits of your labor - I don't think you have disappointed yet. Even if we are overanxious for more, we will always appreciate the efforts all on your team puts in.

Also, by giving us the amount of time needed to implement and test such a welcomed design you really help us appreciate what we see that much more.

# 104 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorGeneral
This is awesome. Like another poster pointed out, how is the Freelance offense determined? I.E., is it selectable in a menu, is it tied to certain coaches, etc. Also, does your players awareness tie into it at all. It would be interesting if, say it was selectable, and you attach the Spurs freelance to a team that doesn't necessarily have the ability to run it in real life. Would there then be some stagnation, or some breakdowns, resulting in alot of ineffectiveness?

Also, does each team have their own special form of Freelance? As curious as I am to see what the Bucks run, the ability to change it to the Spurs (if that option is in fact available) may be too tempting to turn down.

I also noticed that the play calling migrated to the D-Pad. I haven't read every little thing that has come out on 2K15, so pardon me if I missed it, but I would like to know the reason for that. Seems that there are now 4 plays per page, instead of 5 as in previous games. Is that going to result in less plays to choose from to run in-game? Also, all of the plays to choose from for Russ were PNRs. Is that because that's all you assigned to him for this particular presentation?

Whatever the case, great video again. It's always like Christmas Morning seeing that Czar dropped a new video. He ALWAYS comes correct. Looking forward to more.
The dpad move was done before I arrived so I don't have the particulars on why that was done. I just rolled with it. That will not result in less plays to choose from in game.

As a side note. From the server side we can only assign a max of 50 plays per team. That is not a limitation you guys have on the UI side AFAIK. In addition to their freelance offense the spurs carry the max at 50 plays as well.

We reordered the plays this year so that all of your 1st play-type appear and then all of the 2nd, etc. So if I had paged through you would have seen his other play-types in order.

I know people want that a different way but it is the best I could do with the time I had.

# 105 Guapo516 @ 09/26/14 04:28 PM
Shout out to this czar dude too, hard work pays off! Kudos!

# 106 clipperfan811 @ 09/26/14 04:30 PM
Quote:
Good ? For the AI we assign the coach's default freelance in the roster on our end. Unfortunately this year it is not something you guys can edit for the AI.

As a user you can select it like you select any other freelance offense. You have to call it before you cross half court for it to take effect that possession though.
Great vid as usual Czar!

Are the other freelance offenses the same as last year or did you guys have time for a few of the more popular ones, like triangle, horns, floppy? This looks night and day compared to last year. I love the direction I'm seeing from you all. Definitely going down the right path.

# 107 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Just peeped something in the first minute before he even starts with the freelance offense.

Hawks looks to have some new plays for Korver on how they use him now. They use him as a screener but the play is designed to go to him and then he curls out to the 3pt land. Zach Lowe just did an article about here

http://grantland.com/features/kyle-k...atlanta-hawks/

The video is here if it embeds but it is almost the exact same play.

And this as well

I would have been real disappointed if someone from here didn't notice that. Right now those are two separate plays in game. For 16 I would love to make it one and have Korver choose based on defense.

# 108 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 09/26/14 04:32 PM
I second the post above . We'll see differences in playing against a fast paced team like the Warriors vs a team like the Grizzlies ? In terms of Freelance of course

# 109 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
Thanks for all the effort.

Just one small question...can we put this motion system to any team we want in MyGm/MyLeague? Like if I want to play with Lakers but actually want this ball movement because our Lakers are so damn (not) good, will I be able to have Kobe and Swaggy P do cuts and exploit dumb defense?
Yes you can. Any freelance can be called in game for the user.

# 110 midwestking100 @ 09/26/14 04:35 PM
This is awesome. Da_Czar is back in full effect ladies and gents!!!!!

# 111 BobbyColtrane @ 09/26/14 04:38 PM
I love you to death Czar!

I always roll with only the Spurs and I've had a devil of a time re-creating their motion offense. This is going to be huge for me personally. Thank you for your dedication.

# 112 Halloween @ 09/26/14 04:42 PM
This may be the biggest improvement of A.I. in video games since F.E.A.R. It's just outstanding. I did not see that coming at all.

Now imagine players being determined by their ability to read offenses differently, being able to be in the right spot the right time or not. Was it Tony Parker's basketball I.Q. who ran the screen twice and faked a third in all of three seconds or would anybody have done that?

Either way, it's amazing to see A.I. controlled players do that.

# 113 Teddy_Long @ 09/26/14 04:44 PM
czar, how is the help d? running plays is very nice but there has to be some help to open shooters. help d was nonexistent in '14, particularly once u go higher than the pro level.

# 114 RunN1st @ 09/26/14 04:44 PM
40-year old man here drooling! Can't wait.

# 115 UnbelievablyRAW @ 09/26/14 04:44 PM
THANK YOU BRUH

This is what I've been waiting for. Not that the other stuff didn't matter but I want to see more about how the offense and defense has evolved from last year. Really hoping you do a video on how defense and defensive rotations have changed (and if the drive and shovel pass to a big thing has been tempered down through more intense interior d)

# 116 Da_Czar @ 09/26/14 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
Great vid as usual Czar!

Are the other freelance offenses the same as last year or did you guys have time for a few of the more popular ones, like triangle, horns, floppy? This looks night and day compared to last year. I love the direction I'm seeing from you all. Definitely going down the right path.
I am not sure if we can discuss that yet so I will just say there are a couple more and the 4-1 in returns and I completely rewrote the 3-2 for next gen.

The swing motion will take another year to completely fill out but we covered it pretty well for a first of it's kind implementation.

We didn't want it to be too difficult to run. But we didn't want it to be super predictable either. I think we found a nice balance.

The issue is that someone could make that look really bad with terrible timing and bad passes and moving all crazy so I'm glad I got to show you the potential before someone just makes it look awful. LOL.

The great thing is that we can continue to build on the underlying tech. It was made specifically for basketball, so I am very excited.

# 117 dpower15 @ 09/26/14 04:47 PM
Quote:
Good ? For the AI we assign the coach's default freelance in the roster on our end. Unfortunately this year it is not something you guys can edit for the AI.

As a user you can select it like you select any other freelance offense. You have to call it before you cross half court for it to take effect that possession though.

So just to clarify, each team has their assigned freelance offense which will run automatically each possession unless another freelance or set play is called, correct?

Also, if we want to call a different freelance than the default, that is in effect only for the possession, and the next possession would again go back to the default freelance automatically unless something else is called. Correct?

Thanks for all the hard work, regardless of how many offenses got put in, the Spurs looks great and for future games I really think this will elevate the series to the next level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 118 lakers24 @ 09/26/14 04:48 PM
I'm so "happy" this is overwhelming

# 119 The Kid 24 @ 09/26/14 04:49 PM
Quote:

So all 30 teams have/do freelance?

Did I read that correctly?

# 120 8KB24 @ 09/26/14 04:50 PM
Quote:
Yes you can. Any freelance can be called in game for the user.
Aw yeah, thanks man Really excited In the past it always felt cheesy playing with LAL. Call for post play for Bryant/Gasol -> If good match-up try to score, if not manual cut by wing player to the basket, faceup by post player and bounce pass/overhead pass. Now it will feel really good. Dump it down to Mr. Bryant, try to make something work, see Nick Young/Nash free at the three and pass it. If they close down, wait for screen with Nash/call for ISO with Nick. I love it man

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.