Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

Poll Results from this morning of users still having server related issues in NBA 2K15.

With the release of NBA 2K15, the team at 2K Sports and Visual Concepts promised a much improved experience when connecting online. After NBA 2K14 suffered with connectivity issues throughout most of the game's life cycle, we were told that 2K's top engineers had spent the entire NBA 2K15 development cycle working on network infrastructure. What has been delivered, at least so far, is nothing short of a disaster.

Attempts to connect to the 2K servers and to other users have been met with nothing but frustration through the first two weeks of the game's release. While the experience has been fraught with frustration, it has slowly began to improve over the last week.

However, major issues still persist.

Read More - The NBA 2K15 Online Experience Has Been an Avoidable Mess

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 VDusen04 @ 10/19/14 12:54 PM
Quote:
After last year's debacle, one has to wonder why the same approach was attempted once again -- this time with relatively similar results as last year?

The root of NBA 2K15's problems lie in the fact that with so many modes either directly or indirectly tied to a connection to the 2K servers, when they aren't functional, it cripples what should seemingly be single player experiences because of online connectivity issues. One would think a better approach would be to store VC progress locally and only update that progress to the 2K servers when a gamer wants to purchase an item using VC that requires online access, otherwise you are left with users unable to give their single player experiences a go because online servers are down. By reducing the amount of people simultaneously hitting the servers, you may even improve the online experience for those wanting to actually play online.
Quoted for emphasis. I was very encouraged by 2K's reduction in VC dependence in MyLeague this year. Hopefully, with MyLeague being one of the few aspects of 2K that seems to be working without a potentially disastrous technological drawback, they can realize that, yes, maybe the only things that should rely upon an internet connection are the things that absolutely must rely upon an internet connection.

I feel 2K's personal mission statement from here on forward should be, "If we can save local, we'll save local." And manually, if we so choose. Even if 2K's servers were peerless, I still would not want my offline things relying upon a server. Connections drop, internet service isn't available everywhere, so on and so forth. Even without owning 2K15, I still feel stressed about the idea of what sounds to be a difficult face-scanning process relying upon the internet to save my face data. I feel like I'd be thinking with each new day, "Is today the day the internet loses my save files?" That is a foreboding and unsavory prospect.

# 2 TreyIM2 @ 10/19/14 02:25 PM
I'm an offliner but now that I read about all these current server issues, I'm curious if my offline settings are some how affected by these issues. Since the last 2K, I've noticed that some settings like right stick isomotion being switched back to default or my manual setting for choosing my points of emphasis going back to automatic on their own are being done so by wonky server issues. I didn't make the connection last yr but now I feel that they are...

As for having too many online modes or modes/features that depened on an online connection, that's most likely the problem. Idk how 2K's server structure is but if they want to keep all these things reliant on their servers, they may need dedicated servers to divide these things up into. I know that's big money but if they already have that and this is still going on, things may need to be chopped to ensure smoothness.

# 3 nvinceable1 @ 10/19/14 03:16 PM
I've actually had very few issues playing MyPlayer on PC, other than the auction house occasionally being down. I'm not really an online gamer however, I've only been playing Domination mode and a few of the Challenges. Got a Kobe and a Tony Parker last night!

# 4 luda06 @ 10/19/14 03:29 PM
I don't think I can purchase 2K within a few months of launch anymore.

# 5 DurtySoufReppin @ 10/19/14 03:31 PM
The lag is getting better, surprisingly.

# 6 whoahello @ 10/19/14 04:09 PM
it's the Take Two servers in general that's the problem. They're just not willing to put the needed resources into their servers. Almost every game within the Take Two family has known problems for online stability. GTA5, Borderlands, Red Dead Redemption, WWE 2K, and NBA 2K all have online issues. I have all these games and I'm surprised that GTA5 still has issues to date. I think if theres one thing that separates EA and Take Two significantly it's the online servers. EA seems to maintain them pretty well, and probably have a good number of technicians working on it on a daily basis.

# 7 TheBadazz @ 10/19/14 04:36 PM
No matter what ppl think MyPlayer messed this game up. All the park crap just added to it. NBA2K has never been perfect, but it's a mess now. Make sure the core game works well then add on. The Fantasy element messed it all up.

# 8 DEEBOFIOUS @ 10/19/14 04:44 PM
As an offline fan exclusively, I feel too much attention has been given to myplayer modes. NBA2K has gotten away from the NBA game & its' players. In their attempt to continuously rape the pockets of consumers with VC currency, 2K has minimalized the role of the NBA superstar gameplay and have replaced it with the quick-to-spend pockets of myplayer mode lovers. 2K would not be in this mess if its' focus were mainly on versus play on & offline but greed ruins everything it touches as it should. 4 to $500.00 consoles plus $70 games is more than enough from your fans. Pay raises to Mr. Rob Jones and the like each year on the backs of the consumer is big business in the gaming world. I am a fan of the NBA, graphics, & gameplay as it should be. Making the game more about fans buying their way to 99 overall ratings is laughable and 2k is laughing all the way to the bank with all of you cheesers' money.

# 9 Jakeness23 @ 10/19/14 05:45 PM
I just can't get over the lag with The Park. I mean CoD has A TON more people playing online on its servers and it's never been that slow, for me, anyways. There's no excuse that it should be that slow and connect that poorly.

# 10 Sam I am @ 10/19/14 05:46 PM
I just Think its a shame that 2k hypes up everything about their games except what powers them. These servers have been a problem since nba2k10. When you had lobbies, there wasn't a problem. They give us new crap but won't address the server issue. One year they lied & said they had new dynamic servers only for a couple of years later to say they have been having the same servers since the dreamcast. Somebody needs to swallow their pride & go to Ea or Activision & See how its being done & follow suit. Next year I'm waiting til Black friday so i can get this crap for 25.00 off. And they need to be reported to the better business bureau

# 11 tril @ 10/19/14 06:50 PM
I think its time that 2k look into a 2nd/3rd party to develop and manage their server/networking infrastructure

# 12 TheBadazz @ 10/19/14 07:31 PM
Hey how about making the fantasy crap a whole different SKU! Sad I can't play my friend in Texas cause the servers have Thousands of My Players on it.

# 13 DrYCeLL @ 10/19/14 07:56 PM
Got both 2k14 and 2k15 at launch. Not getting 2k16 at launch, if at all. Haven't spent any money on VC, really glad I haven't. Hype and promises leading up to release, then we get a game that's just a frustrating, embarrassing mess. Also, no word on any kind of "we're sorry about this" VC compensation for all of us that bought this game on release. Before NBA 2k14, I played 2k11 for years, so skipping the next iteration won't be hard for me.

# 14 hawksandrew @ 10/19/14 09:23 PM
Looks like we all got sucked in by the hype of NBA2K15 with Ronnie (not pointing fingers at him, he is just the PR guy doing his job that cops the abuse) advertising/selling the new features, better online experiences and the only reason it worked without a problem, is they didn't have 100,000+ users on the servers at the one time before launch.

Playing the park doesn't really have any affect for me, living in Australia, our internet is not great quality and from past experience when playing online, the lag is that frustrating that i don't even bother anymore. But i do enjoy playing myteam, especially with the legends in the game. It's been 4 days now for me since i was able to connect, all i can play is a quick game, mygm or myleague.

But before i lost my connection to the 2k world, i purchased VC, i received my 75,000 but not the additional 15,000 VC which was charged to my account. A ticket has been raised with 2ksupport but i feel i won't see this VC or get a refund and this experience over the past 4-5 days has really sucked the joy out of playing this game and seriously considering changing to NBA Live 15, providing its any good.

# 15 Turbojugend @ 10/19/14 09:39 PM
I'm fairly confident that things will get sorted eventually, but either way this will be a tough lesson for VC and 2K Sports. Hardly anyone is talking about the amazing gameplay, the incredible presentation, or the advancements made by hiring on longtime community members like Da Czar and Leftos. Instead the focus is squarely on the mess this online debacle has created.

Bad word of mouth affects their profit margin. Articles like this affect their profit margin. Sub-par critical and Metacritic reviews affect their profit margin. A mostly great game has been overshadowed by one glaring flaw. Improving the NBA 2K online experience absolutely has to be a priority for 2K moving forward.

# 16 JayAtkHar @ 10/19/14 10:01 PM
They should've invested more time then they originally had into their servers

# 17 hawksandrew @ 10/20/14 01:19 AM
So here is my list of game play issues i have come across:

- CPU always steals passes that are going to an open user teammame, even when that teammate is wide open.

- Jumping to block a shot for users is a slow response and at times lags or doesnt jump at all.

- During a fast break with a user defender back on defense, when CPU is driving to the basket,
user controlled players will always move out of the way instead of contesting the lay up/shot, giving
CPU a clear lane to basket.

- Almost impossible for a user to steal a pass. You can be be playing tight defense and go for a steal
and just swing and miss even with ball directly next to you.

- When user jumps for a rebound at the first attempt and the ball is still up for grabs,
user can never re-jump again straight away. controlled player will always just stand in the paint and
do nothing.

- 99% of user lay ups are missed. Even after grabbing the rebound from a missed first attempt, the lay up,
regardless of contested or uncontested, will miss again.

- During a fast break, CPU will block 99% of the dunks, Will always have 2 on 1 and is always faster then
user.

- Too many illegal screens called from both CPU and user plays. Players get knocked to the ground and
no calls but non contact fouls are called.

- When user is bumped while dribbling, the ball handler will always pick up the ball and stop dribbling,
most real NBA players will actually keep the dribble alive.

- 2 time outs in a row called without fail in every game even if its a 20 point blow out.

- When ball is inbounded after CPU score, User point guard will sprint up the court (even if sprint button not touched), unlike NBA2K14 where it
was more controlled.

- When CPU is inbounding the ball just over half court, user is at times unable to move closer to player
inbounding as if he was being blocked by an invisable wall.

- Crowd cheers loud but remain seated and unresponsive.

- Too many player celebrations after every shot is made, even when the first basket is made. This should
happen only during closer games, showing the player getting hyped to hit the lead or continue momentum run.

- Players getting knocked over, never seen a charge called.

- Commentators make stupid calls and wrong calls. Player takes a wide open shot, commentator says that "a rugged screen was set" .... ummm no.
On a fast break (mostly for the CPU) the player hits a shot and the commentator says "how in the world did
they leave him that wide open" ..... ummm it was a fast break, thats why.

And steve Kerr, coaching and commentating??? fail.

While the game is an improvement in parts from NBA2K14, the game play makes it frustrating to play. This is just a short list that i have come across, i am sure there is A LOT more others have found wrong.

# 18 Cnyce86 @ 10/20/14 01:31 AM
I finally got to log in my career after not being able to for a week. My player was 70 over all. Now All my attributes erased now im back to a 63.

# 19 hawksandrew @ 10/20/14 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnyce86
I finally got to log in my career after not being able to for a week. My player was 70 over all. Now All my attributes erased now im back to a 63.
How did you get back in or did it just happen? Hopefully you can stay logged in now. Happy gaming.

# 20 Teph87 @ 10/20/14 02:22 AM
I'm quite surprised to read this article and the comments.

I'm a french ps4 user and the online experience is now working like a charm for 6-7 days now.
I don't even have lag on road to playoff games for the last 5 days.
I never get any of what I read here.
Hope this will get better for everybody the way it did for me.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.