Home
News Post

Owen Good at Polygon penned a great article this weekend talking about the future of the NBA Live series. Sean O'Brien, the executive producer of NBA Live 15, has several very interesting quotes within the article which speak directly to the future of the franchise.

The most interesting quote comes in the first parts of the article where O'Brien answers Owen's question on whether there will be an NBA Live 16 or not, "Guaranteed. We've already started development on 16. We're staffing up. We're actually increasing investment on what 16 — and 17 — look like."

This is especially good news since EA is in its final year of its agreement with the NBA. If indeed Live sticks around, time will likely lead it into a pretty good direction in the future. Much of the article was spent downplaying NBA Live 15's potential though.

Some quotes from O'Brien:

"Part of me wishes people could hear the conversations I'm in. I wish I could snap my fingers and it would be two years from now."

"We're a work in progress."

"It's a long term strategy. Building a high-definition game is not easy. I think the game we're creating is dfferent, and I think as we mature as a product, you'll see that difference come out more and more."

What do you think of O'Briens quotes and the linked Polygon article?

Member Comments
# 61 luijo @ 10/20/14 06:42 PM
Elite 11 screwed everything up

# 62 @marcusjiles @ 10/20/14 06:48 PM
Why are they talking about Live 16 and 17 days before 15 is due? I couldnt possibly care any less about Live 16. It doesnt come out until this time next year. Here's an idea, lets pop the trunk on THIS year's game. We've had 5 minutes in total of footage from old builds. What's the secret here? Didnt we do this... last year?

# 63 jbrock11 @ 10/20/14 06:49 PM
What did people really expect? What other EA Sports game has changed dramatically in 1 year? Other than the slightly improved graphics, I fully expect this to be just a more polished Live 14.

# 64 Shakedowncapo @ 10/20/14 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by @marcusjiles
Why are they talking about Live 16 and 17 days before 15 is due? I couldnt possibly care any less about Live 16. It doesnt come out until this time next year. Here's an idea, lets pop the trunk on THIS year's game. We've had 5 minutes in total of footage from old builds. What's the secret here? Didnt we do this... last year?
The secret is nobody at EA knows how to play the game, so you gotta wait till Thursday.

-EA Marketing Team

Sorry.

# 65 WTF @ 10/20/14 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrock11
What did people really expect? What other EA Sports game has changed dramatically in 1 year? Other than the slightly improved graphics, I fully expect this to be just a more polished Live 14.
In that case you'll be very surprised if you try it.

To me, sounds like he's not trying to hype the game or sell the game to people period. Try it. If you like it, buy it. Live 16 will be coming, regardless.

I'd like to suggest that everyone try the demos for themselves. I think the vast majority of people will come away impressed.

To be honest, we'd all nitpick a 5 minute video to death. I'm as guilty as everyone else. Trust me, I know. I've done it. Once you play the game though, completely different story.

It's not an excuse for no videos, but in a way, I'll agree with that decision. Until you play it, don't judge it. For those that do play it or give it a try, I'm pretty sure will have plenty of good things to say about it.

# 66 shutdown10 @ 10/20/14 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Come on man, you're better than this. My point still stands and so does yours, despite what you said specifically. Where in that post do you get the perception that I "seem convinced" that 15 won't deliver the goods and what does it matter if I don't think it will? I've stated more than once around here that I'm going to try the demo cause I want to see for myself, I also bought 14 last year just to see for myself. So what does it matter?

So your thing is everyone should shut up and not say anything at all about the game until it comes out? What does that help exactly?

Same reaction I had when I read that post. There is a final video on youtube where HipHopGamer gives his real opinion on his experience while playing Live 15. I know he's not taken seriously on here, but I found this video interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PGTl7XUC1o

# 67 jbrock11 @ 10/20/14 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

To me, sounds like he's not trying to hype the game or sell the game to people period. Try it. If you like it, buy it. Live 16 will be coming, regardless.

I'd like to suggest that everyone try the demos for themselves. I think the vast majority of people will come away impressed.

To be honest, we'd all nitpick a 5 minute video to death. I'm as guilty as everyone else. Trust me, I know. I've done it. Once you play the game though, completely different story.

It's not an excuse for no videos, but in a way, I'll agree with that decision. Until you play it, don't judge it. For those that do play it or give it a try, I'm pretty sure will have plenty of good things to say about it.
I'll play the demo just like I did last year but like I said, I'm not expecting much. The whole culture over at EA is the problem, not just the Live or the Live team.

# 68 WTF @ 10/20/14 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrock11
I'll play the demo just like I did last year but like I said, I'm not expecting much. The whole culture over at EA is the problem, not just the Live or the Live team.
Thats all I'll ask of anyone. It's tough to sell the game to folks without knowing what they're buying. Try it free, learn the controls and give it a legit shot.

# 69 dubplate @ 10/20/14 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

From this and a few other posts of yours I've read it sounds like your experience with the game was a good one.

I can't wait to find out for myself. I'm really hoping it's decent as I need a break from the 2K series, and a little competition isn't a bad thing.

# 70 WTF @ 10/20/14 07:34 PM
Competition is a great thing, even if you don't acknowledge that there is competition. Competition breeds greatness, and I'm looking forward to it for many years to come.

As much as I disagree with marketing this year, I know where they're coming from because I fell victim myself. Once you play it, I think most guys will understand.

# 71 youvalss @ 10/20/14 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
This is being done for so many other games, there are even IGN or Gamespot videos analyzing every second of a video, and showing it in slow-motion. What's the problem with nitpicking and analyzing?

Also, I think pretty much all their Live 15 trailers received mostly positive critics. Why wouldn't a gameplay video? Unless they are really scared to get burned like what happened the last couple of years after showing gameplay videos...

# 72 La Verite @ 10/20/14 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
LOL, the letter. We've gotten that letter the last 4 years homie. If you want to see connecting with the fans, just look at how they showed off Live '10. They went as far as having Mike Wang show us footage from his house and breaking down the game with actual running gameplay. All that did was reel us back into the series when 2K10 was absolutely terrible.

If this is what you call connecting with that fans, then you haven't been around long enough.
Since Live 95 and 96 I've been around but left live alone when Dreamcast came out with 2K then was onto ps2 up until 2k6.

I've been around but not around or into the media around games like this untill 2k11. So the media part, yes I missed and I didn't care for Live 10 anyways and yes 2K10 sucked, never bought that. 2k9 was my game until 2K11 but I said that already lol. Anyways I'm excited for this now because 2K has become like Madden, and Live 14 reminded me on how they ,EA, always had the atmosphere right, see Coach K. 14 was fun but gameplay and smoothness was missing so I'm excited for 15 to do right.

# 73 Super Glock @ 10/20/14 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Competition is a great thing, even if you don't acknowledge that there is competition. Competition breeds greatness, and I'm looking forward to it for many years to come.

As much as I disagree with marketing this year, I know where they're coming from because I fell victim myself. Once you play it, I think most guys will understand.
WTF whenever I'm about done with this series you bring me back in lol. I'll trust your word and can't wait to try the demo.

# 74 El_Poopador @ 10/20/14 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I hear you... as long as this doesn't become common place for them to throw "we're not going to market game heavily" out there and then hide the game until release..then it's all good....saying that up front doesn't absolve them any criticism of the process IMO
Oh, I'm not saying it was the best strategy, or that it should be the plan going forward. I'm just saying that there has been a lot of speculation (mostly negative) when they said from the beginning we wouldn't see much in terms of marketing for the game this year.

But I do think they could have done a much better job quelling some of the fears that people have.

# 75 WTF @ 10/20/14 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Glock
WTF whenever I'm about done with this series you bring me back in lol. I'll trust your word and can't wait to try the demo.
Haha. Not my intent to reel anyone in, but I do think that guys who play the demo or the EA ACCESS version will thoroughly enjoy their time with the game AS LONG AS they don't play the game like it's 2k. If guys slow down and learn how the players move and how the controls respond to your input, you'll have a lot of fun.

Oh, and make SURE you turn Auto Motion to ON.

# 76 La Verite @ 10/20/14 09:40 PM
^does 2k15 have automation? Spiiiit.....

# 77 ProfessaPackMan @ 10/20/14 10:13 PM
Don't play the game like its 2K or don't play the game like its NBA Street? Because there is a difference.

# 78 WTF @ 10/20/14 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Don't play the game like its 2K or don't play the game like its NBA Street? Because there is a difference.
Don't play the game control wise like it's 2k. The player movements are completely different. I'm aware there is a difference. I've seen guys get frustrated because they feel like they can't do certain things. They can, and more, but they have to rethink how they're controlling their players.

# 79 da ThRONe @ 10/21/14 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Come on man, you're better than this. My point still stands and so does yours, despite what you said specifically. Where in that post do you get the perception that I "seem convinced" that 15 won't deliver the goods and what does it matter if I don't think it will? I've stated more than once around here that I'm going to try the demo cause I want to see for myself, I also bought 14 last year just to see for myself. So what does it matter?

Better than what exactly?

I don't know how you can read what you posted and think anybody could come away thinking you feel positive about Live 15. "EA Sports is the epitome of snake oil salesmen" isn't a ringing endorsement.

But I have to say this line is what really make me think you are expecting Live 15 to come up short. "They won't show any sort of unedited gameplay of the game to this point and they're okaying articles that can be read as 'yeah, we're selling you a less than stellar game this year with the intention of giving you that stellar product two years from now.'"

Maybe I did misinterpret your meaning reading things often doesn't express tone, but it certainly seems like you aren't expecting much from Live 15.

Quote:
So your thing is everyone should shut up and not say anything at all about the game until it comes out? What does that help exactly?

I just think in fairness it best to look at each game as it's own independent entity. Going in with a mindset of since EA has marketed bad games the same way it is marketing this game therefore this game will likely be bad is going in with a preconceived notion. That's the impression I took from your post. Again not the opinion police and certainly not trying to tell you how to feel especially not over a videogame if that was indeed you point in your post. Just think people should pump the brakes until we have unedited footage to really judge Live 15 in order to do so with a clean slate. I understand your argument they haven't earned a clean slate. However from what I see when people go into something with a negative mindset it has a negative impact on what I they take away. Either way not a big deal.

# 80 GisherJohn24 @ 10/21/14 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
What stood out to me about what he said is how he felt about the graphics, he was not impressed, saying only a little better than 14.
14 didn't look bad. Just herky jerky

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.