Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

MLB 14 The Show was an outstanding experience for baseball fans, but many parts of the series have begun to feel old and tired. The possibility that the series is getting stale is very real, so this year the franchise must ensure the product keeps growing.

To avoid becoming stale, and to continue to improve, will require a careful balance of redoing the necessary pieces of the game without going overboard and ruining the winning formula. Here are three key areas the team at SCEA should be focused on:

1. Commentary/Presentation. The commentary was once labeled as some of the best in the business — unfortunately it hasn’t changed much since what feels like forever. New lines or a new group in the booth will help the experience feel fresh instantly.

READ MORE - Three Keys: MLB The Show 15

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MDgolf @ 12/02/14 10:38 AM
Framerate!

# 2 nemesis04 @ 12/02/14 10:54 AM
They are well aware that commentary needs addressing. You have to build a new bridge before you can take down an old one. So basically you get small adjustments and fixes until one day your bridge is finished. If we do not get dramatic changes in 15, it does not necessarily mean they are not paying attention to the issue.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 12/02/14 10:57 AM
they will have to make some serious decisions moving forward in regards to the PS3 version of this game and eventually fade it out of the mix sooner the better. Online, I think it took a step in the right direction technically however gameplay/bugs/implementation new online franchise not so much. I want more customization (schedules) when it comes to setting up a league. Still find it confusing as much as I continuously hear about online on these boards and yet never see leagues here complete or the PSN list very active, guess it is more of a popular take than those with any real input on the mode

# 4 Armor and Sword @ 12/02/14 11:10 AM
I understand commentary is feeling old and stale. But I don't agree with removing the three man booth currently in place. I love Matty V, I thought Lyons was a great addition and I am fine Karros as well.

What I want is far more dynamic commentary to make franchise and the post season feel even more authentic and alive. I really think historical stat's, career averages vs pitchers, career numbers vs certain batters...in key moments really would amp up the immersion.

How cool would it be (and I know 2K baseball had a lot of this great presentation in a sub par baseball game) to see Trout coming to the plate with bases loaded vs Michael Pineda and we get a stat swipe of his career average with the bases loaded vs how he is doing with the bases loaded during that current season. Then you get a career average stat swipe vs Pineda.

It just does so much for immersion and feeling like it's a real broadcast.

So that's in-game. More stat's, more dynamic commentary about the situation, the season itself etc.

And then of course a more robust off the field franchise presentation with weekly or monthly wrap up shows and highlights of great plays, hits etc. Heck even the newspapers were cool and had that "old school" flavor to franchise that kept me more immersed.

The Show is my all time favorite sports video game series...bar none. I want to see the next step taken on the PS4 to bring us even more virtual baseball utopia!!

I am confident this team is working hard to make this happen in future iterations of this great AAA+ sports franchise.

# 5 GeauxTigers @ 12/02/14 11:13 AM
Certainly this won't be happening anytime soon until the NCAA works out all the lawsuits involving athletes and compensation; but since I doubt there'd ever be a big enough demand for an NCAA Baseball game how about just a College World Series mode. They could add the new stadium in Omaha and allow users to fill out the bracket from schools they download ... downloading may even help the NCAA with keeping track of which schools/players get how much compensation if they don't simply negotiate a flat fee.

# 6 GeauxTigers @ 12/02/14 11:20 AM
As for the current game ... I don't have the history playing this game that many probably do. MLB the Show 14 was the reason I went PS4 as my next generation console rather than Xbox One (previously I had just the Xbox 360). As someone who's always loved baseball games for a first time player of this series it was hard to have too many complaints. Doesn't mean there isn't one area I'd like adjusted ... quick counts. I might enjoy this feature more if there was a way to customize the feature ... for example if you could cap it at 2 balls and 1 strike the max ... it can be frustrating to be in a situation where you might consider a bunt only to see you have 2 strikes so can't risk it ... also bringing in a pitcher from the bullpen and you're given a 3 ball count and you're not sure just how accurate the pitcher will be on that first pitch you risk grooving one just to get a strike or missing badly for ball 4. Also in this mode I'm pretty sure the pitch count for the CPU team doesn't stay accurate ... while it does for the user ... not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

# 7 Armor and Sword @ 12/02/14 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers
As for the current game ... I don't have the history playing this game that many probably do. MLB the Show 14 was the reason I went PS4 as my next generation console rather than Xbox One (previously I had just the Xbox 360). As someone who's always loved baseball games for a first time player of this series it was hard to have too many complaints. Doesn't mean there isn't one area I'd like adjusted ... quick counts. I might enjoy this feature more if there was a way to customize the feature ... for example if you could cap it at 2 balls and 1 strike the max ... it can be frustrating to be in a situation where you might consider a bunt only to see you have 2 strikes so can't risk it ... also bringing in a pitcher from the bullpen and you're given a 3 ball count and you're not sure just how accurate the pitcher will be on that first pitch you risk grooving one just to get a strike or missing badly for ball 4. Also in this mode I'm pretty sure the pitch count for the CPU team doesn't stay accurate ... while it does for the user ... not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

Excellent points about the mighty and awesome QC feature. It completely changed the way I play The Show. I was resistant at first....but fell in love with the feature and it is the only way I play the game now.

I am pretty sure we will see further evolution of this feature and more customization going forward. But like nemesis pointed out you have to start somewhere and 14 was the start of an amazing game changing feature.

# 8 Flaxseed Oil @ 12/02/14 11:29 AM
I'd love to see the following things:

1. A new pitching system, similar to 2k. I think one way to tell if this will be a new feature will be if their is a pitcher selected to be on the cover.

2. Expanded franchise mode. We need to see stuff like ticket sales and bringing in super star players have an impact on your overall 'bankroll.' If you sign a player that adds a lot of butts in seats, jersey sales, etc, it should be more of an investment that brings money back to your team, rather than just drain the payroll.

Also need international free agents, as thats a MAJOR part of the sport now. Single A rosters, etc. Last year a guy was drafted and pitched in the WS the same year...that cannot happen in MLB the show because the players dont show up until the following season. So there needs to be fuller organizational rosters, and with it, the ability to automate the handling of those rosters.

3. Better animations, especially pitching animations. Any decent college athlete should be able to come in and do some pretty good impersonations - just dont throw animations together like some of them that are out there now. Also, many of the fielding animations take far too long to play out. I lost a perfect game in the 8th inning because of a slow animation.

Those are my 3 keys. I couldn't care less about uniform stitching color, or whether the tarp is in the right place at O.Co. Just give me a decent representation of everything, and make the franchise mode immersive as hell.

# 9 redsox4evur @ 12/02/14 11:43 AM
OK we all want a more immersive franchise mode, right?

I have an idea that I think can change and also fix the budget issue that plagued this years game. First thing THAT HAS TO happen is they bring back the old franchise mode where we got to so set ticket prices, jersey prices, concessions, etc. If this doesn't happen then my idea does not work. The budget would now be calculated by adding whatever money you bring in during the season. This way no can complain about there be too big of an increase because it is based off of whatever money the player made during the season from ticket sales, TV money, etc.

# 10 Marino @ 12/02/14 11:53 AM
I want franchise to feel more immersive. Kind of like how Fifa or Madden is, where I know what is going on around the league. It always feels that outside of my team, I have no idea what is happening around the league. And yes, commentary needs to be improved as well.

# 11 Turbojugend @ 12/02/14 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I understand commentary is feeling old and stale. But I don't agree with removing the three man booth currently in place. I love Matty V, I thought Lyons was a great addition and I am fine Karros as well.
Good point. It isn't that the existing commentary is bad, it's that there isn't nearly enough of it.

# 12 sc050610 @ 12/02/14 02:03 PM
1. Commentary is fine with who is in the booth, it is that is just gets repetitive rather quickly. I would like to see as others have mentioned a little more in depth with it to as it relates to what is going on in your Franchise. If your team is on fire or in the midst of a losing streak for them to mention it and strike up a convo about it.

2. Atmosphere of the stadiums: I know this has been included before with Postseason but it needs to be brought back for not only the postseason but also just big games or big moments too. If I have sell out in my Franchise and I am the home and we walk it off in the bottom of 9th or later that stadium should erupt.

3. Last thing for me would be an active single A team.

# 13 Knight165 @ 12/02/14 02:04 PM
I'm in the same boat as Marino.
It's disconnect within franchise mode...and that's in all areas.....when playing games(they have gotten slightly better with this though).....but especially when doing anything in the front office or anything on the front end menus.
I would love to see some "real time"(actually fake time pretending to be real time) events happen for each day on the calendar.
I would love to see things happen while I'm doing something on the front end in the front office in increments.
I'm looking through players on the roster menu....I get a PM about a trade or a trade offer or a rumor of a trade.....I'm looking at the draft section....I get reports on prospects from other teams or a report on a player we're looking at.
I want the league leaders and standings in my face at all times. Hot/cold players and injury reports when starting a series and on the next opponent when ending a series...anything like that.
...and I would love to have players give me feedback on how they feel about the team and their part on it.
Owners and GM's with personalities...
Coaches/scouts as well.....with better(different) and editable ratings.
Retired players into the coaching pool..
As well as things mentioned and I'm sure to be mentioned.

Oh...online news!

M.K.
Knight165

# 14 Ghost Of The Year @ 12/02/14 02:18 PM
I'm a hardcore baseballer, so the Show could stay the same for the next ten years & I'd still be a day one purchaser.
BUT, the 3 keys that would keep me positively giddy for the series would be:

1) More customization, from naming coaches & managers to realigning leagues
(Think Brewers to the A.L. & Astros to the N.L.) to relocating franchises (Nationals back to Canada).

2) Full rosters for Hi Single A, Lo Single A & Rookie ball in the minors.

3) Create-a-Stadium!!!!
If the Show moves in that direction, I'd name my next born son Russell.

# 15 aguero90 @ 12/02/14 03:19 PM
I'm one who does want a new pbp guy. We need someone who when they record the lines, you can't hardly tell its a video game. We need a ton of more excitement on things like homers. Good examples of what I mean are 2k when Jon Miller was doing pbp, High Heat with dave O'brian, and the mlb slugfest series.

# 16 statum71 @ 12/02/14 05:49 PM
I hope they scan faces like the other sports titles.

The screenshot in the article looks nothing like Adam Jones. And Yoenis Cepedes has NEVER looked anything like himself.

# 17 redsox4evur @ 12/02/14 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71

The screenshot in the article looks nothing like Adam Jones. And Yoenis Cepedes has NEVER looked anything like himself.
Wow!!! You couldn't be more right about Jones.

# 18 NC12 @ 12/02/14 07:35 PM
1.) Commentary
2.) More equipment options (actual licensed brands would be great)
3.) Commentary

# 19 JStapley @ 12/02/14 09:49 PM
Take a page out of 2K's playbook and offer classic teams and players. 27 Yanks, 75 Reds, Mays, Aaron etc.

# 20 ShowTyme15 @ 12/02/14 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71

They scan faces during spring training each year.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.