Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

MLB 15 The Show will feature licensed equipment this year. Check out the trailer here. The trailer also mentions legends coming this year, so you guys can talk about that.

The game ships on March 31, 2015 for PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

Below are a few key features that were announced.

The 10th edition of the franchise, MLB 15 The Show is a more immersive and exciting baseball experience than ever before with substantial improvements to both gameplay and graphics.

Licensed Equipment – For the first time ever, partnerships from various brands will bring accurate bats, gloves, cleats, and batting gloves to the game.

Year-to-Year Saves – Users who purchased MLB 14 The Show will be able to continue their Franchise and Road to the Show progress in MLB 15 The Show. Saves between the two releases will be forward-compatible, meaning you never have to worry about starting your Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over!

Universal Rewards – Simply playing the game earns Stubs that can be spent on licensed equipment, Road to The Show improvements, and virtual baseball cards

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 garyjr33 @ 12/06/14 08:19 PM
I hope Jeter is a legend so I can use him still in some form. : (

# 82 Blzer @ 12/07/14 03:48 AM
My favorite news so far is that it's still being released on the Vita. Even if it's just a roster update... good for them!

# 83 nomo17k @ 12/07/14 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
I'm sure there are people who will like the addition, but it's not going to help sales, and in the end will be money wasted. They may try to recoup some of the money by selling packs of cards or something along those lines, but even then it doesn't make much sense with the player vault already being there.
That sales not picking up solely due to "legends" might be true, but it really is a sad line of thinking if you think about it... that we (as fans of the sport or consumers or whatever) accept that simply celebrating the history of the game needs to take so much money to the extent that it prevents a game like this one to really just promote what has been said is a sport of declining popularity (despite its financial success... )

Few developers even bother to make baseball games any more, and people in MLB has been making the sport less and less accessible to those who don't throw in money..... what good does that do to the popularity of the sport itself over the long term???

But at the same time, the game probably in general won't sell as well if it dissociate itself from MLB; it's not hard imagine many people are buying the game because it's MLB and not because it's baseball.

# 84 MosDef23 @ 12/07/14 09:04 AM
they need Franklin Batting Gloves and Reebok Cleats just about all MLB players where Franklin Batting Gloves

# 85 Shaffer26 @ 12/07/14 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I seriously doubt this trailer was meant for anything except showing the coverboy....and the licensed equipment announcement.

M.K.
Knight165
I'm sorry but if that's true then that is horrible marketing. Why would you not want your first trailer for the new game to come out with a bang? This is already leaving a bad taste in most peoples mouths from all that I've read on OS.

# 86 countryboy @ 12/07/14 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
I'm sorry but if that's true then that is horrible marketing. Why would you not want your first trailer for the new game to come out with a bang? This is already leaving a bad taste in most peoples mouths from all that I've read on OS.
and history tells us, especially on OS, that the majority of the things OS cares about, the hardcore stuff, typically don't end up on the back of the box. Typically Ramone will release the hardcore fact sheet for OS.

And I would say the first trailer did come out with a bang, especially for the casual fan. Legends, Diamond Dynasty changes, licensed accessories, and year to year transferable saves.

I guarantee you the 4 things mentioned above aren't the only things that were changed in the Show. We still have over 12 weeks until the game releases.

# 87 Shaffer26 @ 12/07/14 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
and history tells us, especially on OS, that the majority of the things OS cares about, the hardcore stuff, typically don't end up on the back of the box. Typically Ramone will release the hardcore fact sheet for OS.

And I would say the first trailer did come out with a bang, especially for the casual fan. Legends, Diamond Dynasty changes, licensed accessories, and year to year transferable saves.

I guarantee you the 4 things mentioned above aren't the only things that were changed in the Show. We still have over 12 weeks until the game releases.
Agreed, but for all the people hoping graphics had changed were all disappointed. Some are implying that they are holding back on graphics and such for future trailers which doesn't make sense to me, especially when this is this first taste of 15 that we all get.

# 88 countryboy @ 12/07/14 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
Agreed, but for all the people hoping graphics had changed were all disappointed. Some are implying that they are holding back on graphics and such for future trailers which doesn't make sense to me, especially when this is this first taste of 15 that we all get.
I am not sure how we can really make any concrete judgments on graphics given that there really wasn't any gameplay shown. That was a trailer put together for marketing purposes only.

In Feb/Mar when we start seeing actual gameplay videos, if not before, then I'll form opinions/judgments on the graphics. Until then, I'll just wait and absorb the information we are given.

# 89 aldon_47 @ 12/07/14 11:15 AM
As always, Im very excited for The Show. Having the release date back to March is a big deal for me since living in frozen northern MN, having digital grass to play on helps ease the spring fever a bit. Im also very interested to learn more about the new radio show. I work a lot of afternoons/evenings and almost every night I have baseball on the radio listening to the Twins so I cant wait to hear how thats being implemented.

# 90 nemesis04 @ 12/07/14 11:20 AM
While I can understand why people are underwhelmed visually. The graphical upgrades generally get added later. I am pretty sure we are not looking at the end product.

# 91 Blzer @ 12/07/14 11:30 AM
DemurOnion, I don't have a quote and it most certainly wasn't in an article, but thinking about it I seem to remember somebody (maybe a community member and not a developer) that the field would get more attention this year. I don't know if that was with regard to physics, patterns, detail, degradation, colors, water effects, etc. but I kind of would be surprised too if the grass remained the same by release, and of course disappointed.

I'm sure it takes more than just changing a single hex code, though.

# 92 Bobhead @ 12/07/14 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemurOnion
Because you can't polish a rock into a diamond with three months of dev time. To me that looked like the engine they were using on PS3 spiffed up a bit.
He's already banned so I know there's not much of a point but I wanted to bring attention to the fallacy here. The post wrongly assumes that a) the trailer was made yesterday and b) that just because a "rock" is featured in the trailer, SCEA has no diamonds in its inventory.

Maybe in whatever new graphics build they are working on, players don't even have left arms yet. Alternatively, they have this random ps3 build sitting around already ready to use.

It's a lot easier (and more importantly, cheaper) to make a trailer from a stable pre-existing build, then it is to scramble trying to make a trailer out of a half-processed "diamond." Especially when the trailer has nothing to do with jewelry.

We also have no idea when the trailer was made, but since SCEA had been teasing these very announcements for a couple weeks, I think it is safe to assume the trailer is at least a month old, if not more.

# 93 ShowTyme15 @ 12/07/14 12:05 PM
It doesn't even matter man he would have come up with some crap to try and justify that he was right and you were wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
He's already banned so I know there's not much of a point but I wanted to bring attention to the fallacy here. The post wrongly assumes that a) the trailer was made yesterday and b) that just because a "rock" is featured in the trailer, SCEA has no diamonds in its inventory.

Maybe in whatever new graphics build they are working on, players don't even have left arms yet. Alternatively, they have this random ps3 build sitting around already ready to use.

It's a lot easier (and more importantly, cheaper) to make a trailer from a stable pre-existing build, then it is to scramble trying to make a trailer out of a half-processed "diamond." Especially when the trailer has nothing to do with jewelry.

We also have no idea when the trailer was made, but since SCEA had been teasing these very announcements for a couple weeks, I think it is safe to assume the trailer is at least a month old, if not more.

# 94 strawberryshortcake @ 12/07/14 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Year-to-Year Saves – Users who purchased MLB 14 The Show will be able to continue their Franchise and Road to the Show progress in MLB 15 The Show. Saves between the two releases will be forward-compatible, meaning you never have to worry about starting your Franchise or Road to the Show seasons over!
Was hoping for real cloth physics. Was hoping the rigid boxy arm sleeves would be gone.

Any word on whether or not saves can be carried over from MLB14 to MLB16 if one decides to skip MLB15? Doubt anyone can really answer this question.

# 95 Bobhead @ 12/07/14 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Was hoping for real cloth physics. Was hoping the rigid boxy arm sleeves would be gone.

Any word on whether or not saves can be carried over from MLB14 to MLB16 if one decides to skip MLB15? Doubt anyone can really answer this question.
If the answer is no, worst comes to worst you could rent MLB 15 (or buy & immediately return it) for one day, on the day MLB 16 comes, out, just for the purpose of moving forward with your save.

If saves are transferrable (like onto external drives), I'll do you one better and say I'd be glad to convert your save for you. You could send your '14 save to me, I'll convert it into MLB'15, then send it back to you so you can take it from there.

No idea if PS4 saves can be copied/moved onto flash drives and stuff though.

# 96 Grnngld @ 12/07/14 12:17 PM
If it takes 3-4 years to make the graphical jump to be on par with other sports games, I'm not sure why I wouldn't wait to purchase 3-4 years from now.

I also don't understand why I, as a consumer, should care that the Show's dev team is smaller than the teams for other sports titles. I'm not responsible for that; Sony is. All I know is that the Show costs the same amount of money as those other sports titles. Hence it should measure up to those other games in every way. If it doesn't, again I have the option to not purchase the game, and Sony has the option to push the dev team up to par.

Hopefully others are right that they're releasing the most underwhelming pieces of info first and getting to the big stuff later. Although, as someone who works in advertising, I've literally never heard of this strategy before. Every brand we work with prefer to push their newest offerings first, front and center, since it's basic knowledge that positive first impressions are the key to success.

# 97 bkrich83 @ 12/07/14 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemurOnion
Because you can't polish a rock into a diamond with three months of dev time. To me that looked like the engine they were using on PS3 spiffed up a bit.

There's always one. #agenda

# 98 Bobhead @ 12/07/14 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnngld
If it takes 3-4 years to make the graphical jump to be on par with other sports games, I'm not sure why I wouldn't wait to purchase 3-4 years from now.

I also don't understand why I, as a consumer, should care that the Show's dev team is smaller than the teams for other sports titles. I'm not responsible for that; Sony is. All I know is that the Show costs the same amount of money as those other sports titles. Hence it should measure up to those other games in every way. If it doesn't, again I have the option to not purchase the game, and Sony has the option to push the dev team up to par.

Hopefully others are right that they're releasing the least underwhelming pieces of info first and getting to the big stuff later. Although, as someone who works in advertising, I've literally never heard of this strategy before. Every brand we work with prefer to push their newest offerings first, front and center, since it's basic knowledge that positive first impressions are the key to success.
All great points, especially the first two, which I completely agree with.

On your last point, though, to be fair, they haven't "pushed" anything. It's not like this trailer is playing on TV during ESPN commercial breaks. I haven't seen any billboards on my way to work telling me about directional hitting. Just because the trailer exists doesn't mean it is the trailer they are "pushing" or relying upon for marketing purposes. I think we should withhold judgment on their 2015 marketing campaign until they actually have one.

# 99 Burge88 @ 12/07/14 12:48 PM
They need to add player physics. No more players running through each other, or players just continue running into a wall with out being phased.
It would be a big step up if y'all added some kind of physics engine to the game.
I do love the brands though! I've always wanted that! And I'm excited for the legends and radio show!

# 100 jawgee @ 12/07/14 02:27 PM
Wow, The Show's getting realistic with corked bats and/or PEDs...hitting homeruns off the brand of the bat rather than off the sweet spot of the bat!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.