Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

The MLB 15 The Show gameplay stream is starting in a few minutes. You can click the "Spoiler Show" button below to watch it here at OS, or open a new browser and watch it. For those of you that miss out, we'll update this post with the archive when it is available on Twitch.

Some bullet points (Thanks jyoung!)

Graphics
  • Dynamic shadows in each stadium that will change over the course of the season
  • Colors will also change based on the amount of sun exposure
  • Grass and dirt colors are more accurate for each stadium
  • There are way more skin tones (they used to only have 13), which means you'll get much more realistic skin on dark-toned players
Gameplay
  • Directional hitting lets you influence where the ball will go, even in "timing only" mode
  • Dynamic pitch breaks make each pitch type easier to recognize and closer to how the ball acts in real life
  • Quick counts will start you in the middle of an at-bat more frequently. Pitchers will always start on a 1-1 count
  • Manual cutoffs are triggered by the L1 button and will help keep singles with a runner in scoring position from turning into cheap doubles
  • Outfielders have more curved, indirect routes, and will no longer just take straight paths to the ball. This should help reduce the number of undeserved doubles and triples
  • Infielders will follow the ball better and cover bases more realistically
  • There were no changes to umpires
  • The new MLB challenge system is in place for close plays at bases
  • Lots of new catching, tagging, and throwing animations were captured; they are unique to each base
  • Baserunners will slow up now and dynamically change their run speed based on where the ball is hit
  • There is more of a separation this year between fast and and slow runners
  • Expect less warping and no more sudden, unrealistic speed boosts in all fielding animations
  • You can use analog swings with timing hitting now
  • Meter pitching is more sensitive and has more risk/reward. Missing your mark has more of a penalty, hitting your mark has more of a benefit
  • Fielding and throwing sliders are now separated into different slider categories for infield/outfield
Next week: There will be a video blog for licensed equipment and the universal rewards system.
In the future: More twitch broadcasts are coming. A "presentation" stream will be next.

UPDATE: If you missed the stream, you can watch the archive here or click the "Spoiler Show" button below.

As gameplay is being shown, let us know what you think!

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bigwill33 @ 02/05/15 05:36 PM
The color upgrades alone really make the game pop. Hope to see some night time videos to see if that is improved.

# 42 Jimmydm90 @ 02/05/15 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
Player models look less like corpses now.

This should be the slogan for MLB 15 TS.

# 43 bcruise @ 02/05/15 05:47 PM
Throwing sliders separated into IF and OF per B Ma.

# 44 seanjeezy @ 02/05/15 05:47 PM
separate infield/outfield sliders now

lol

Edit:

Catchers gear looks great now

# 45 cardinalbird5 @ 02/05/15 05:47 PM
They ask some dumb questions lol

# 46 cardinalbird5 @ 02/05/15 05:49 PM
Id like to know more about slide steps. If you perfect the meter will the pitch still be inaccurate? Online you might as well slide step every pitch. It could also help take some off your fastball as well.

# 47 Dillow @ 02/05/15 05:51 PM
Hey guys sorry I'm coming in late here...

Have they mentioned anything about online on the stream? Last year with all of the bugs, morphing, dropped games, etc.....it REALLY hindered the game. My only concern this year is if its fixed. Playing online is what I care about lol.

# 48 KeanuReevesRules @ 02/05/15 05:52 PM
Tuned in just in time to see the last few minutes.

It is nice to see that they always add a lot of small things that make it a superior sports game in many ways. I must admit though... I think I will be waiting for it to drop to $40 or less before I buy it this year.

# 49 RunN1st @ 02/05/15 05:52 PM
Thanks for streaming, Russ! Looking forward to the next one.

# 50 cardinalbird5 @ 02/05/15 05:52 PM
I dont think they touched online at all. Im curious if they have a stream dedicated to it because the game plays a little different online.

# 51 bowld @ 02/05/15 05:53 PM
While everything does look better it still looks and feels like the exact same game I have been playing for years. Every year I get so hyped for this game and after I play 10-20 games it just starts to feel stale. Hopefully this year will be different but after watching this I already feel bored of it before even playing

# 52 Equinox831 @ 02/05/15 05:54 PM
Decent stream. Saw a lot of cool little details that they didn't outwardly talk about (equipment, new animations, etc.) and I was happy with what we saw. The game looks great and I'm sure it'll play great as well, it's MLB The Show, come on, it'll be awesome. I'm REALLY excited to hear more about the game modes and the presentation since those are the things that personally draw me back every year. Can't wait for release and I'm going to be preordering the 10th Anniversary Edition ASAP!

# 53 catswithbats @ 02/05/15 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeanuReevesRules
Tuned in just in time to see the last few minutes.

It is nice to see that they always add a lot of small things that make it a superior sports game in many ways. I must admit though... I think I will be waiting for it to drop to $40 or less before I buy it this year.
I preordered mine from target for $39.99.

# 54 Steve_OS @ 02/05/15 05:56 PM
Updated the OP w/ the archive, for those of you that missed it.

# 55 jyoung @ 02/05/15 05:56 PM
Things mentioned today:

Graphics
  • Dynamic shadows in each stadium that will change over the course of the season
  • Colors will also change based on the amount of sun exposure
  • Grass and dirt colors are more accurate for each stadium
  • There are way more skin tones (they used to only have 13), which means you'll get much more realistic skin on dark-toned players
Gameplay
  • Directional hitting lets you influence where the ball will go, even in "timing only" mode
  • Dynamic pitch breaks make each pitch type easier to recognize and closer to how the ball acts in real life
  • Quick counts will start you in the middle of an at-bat more frequently. Pitchers will always start on a 1-1 count
  • Manual cutoffs are triggered by the L1 button and will help keep singles with a runner in scoring position from turning into cheap doubles
  • Outfielders have more curved, indirect routes, and will no longer just take straight paths to the ball. This should help reduce the number of undeserved doubles and triples
  • Infielders will follow the ball better and cover bases more realistically
  • There were no changes to umpires
  • The new MLB challenge system is in place for close plays at bases
  • Lots of new catching, tagging, and throwing animations were captured; they are unique to each base
  • Baserunners will slow up now and dynamically change their run speed based on where the ball is hit
  • There is more of a separation this year between fast and and slow runners
  • Expect less warping and no more sudden, unrealistic speed boosts in all fielding animations
  • You can use analog swings with timing hitting now
  • Meter pitching is more sensitive and has more risk/reward. Missing your mark has more of a penalty, hitting your mark has more of a benefit
  • Fielding and throwing sliders are now separated into different slider categories for infield/outfield
Next week: There will be a video blog for licensed equipment and the universal rewards system.
In the future: More twitch broadcasts are coming. A "presentation" stream will be next.

# 56 psychraider32 @ 02/05/15 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
While everything does look better it still looks and feels like the exact same game I have been playing for years. Every year I get so hyped for this game and after I play 10-20 games it just starts to feel stale. Hopefully this year will be different but after watching this I already feel bored of it before even playing

I kinda feel you there but I also feel like this game is basically close to topping out. It's just a great all around game and aside from little details I don't know how much better they can make it. I will buy it regardless.

# 57 Cowboy008 @ 02/05/15 05:57 PM
The game looks great and I like the new score bug. Can't wait for next week when they do another one.

# 58 joshtree14 @ 02/05/15 05:58 PM
The texture of grass and dirt look the same. Only the color was changed. A little dissapointed. Was hoping the texture of the clay and grass was less ps3 espue

# 59 bcruise @ 02/05/15 05:59 PM
I need to go back and watch it again, but during the part where they had Puig trying catch a fly ball with runners on 1st and 2nd there were a LOT of different outcomes of that play. The most obvious one was Puig breaking the wrong way, but there were also several times where he just missed the ball and others where he caught it. If that was the same exact hit being replayed every time (think of it as "autohit" from the scenario builder), then I think it did a good job of showing the different outcomes that can happen once the ball is hit in the air.

In fact sheet bullet point terms that's the "Advanced AI logic results in outfielders taking more realistic routes to the ball" part. Notice it doesn't say "smarter" routes.

# 60 merchant1874 @ 02/05/15 05:59 PM
Definitely happy with the gameplay improvements. Very impressed.

Colour stuff looks better, grass matching makes a big difference as does skin tone.

Uniforms still not up to "next gen" levels imo. Still need to be worked on, specifically cloth textures and physics.

As a whole though im very impressed with the early showing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.