Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

The MLB 15 The Show gameplay stream is starting in a few minutes, detailing licensed equipment, universal rewards and Diamond Dynasty. You can click the "Spoiler Show" button below to watch it here at OS, or open a new browser and watch it. For those of you that miss out, we'll update this post with the archive when it is available on Twitch.

UPDATE: If you missed the stream, you can watch the archive here or click the "Spoiler Show" button below (it starts at roughly the 1:45 mark).

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 381 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/10/15 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
I'm worried about sports games in general. It seems like sports titles are dropping like flies. The market for them seems like it gets smaller each year.
I think the wave of the future for sports games will be to move from a yearly release to a release every 2-3 years. Just a thought.

# 382 Perfect Zero @ 03/10/15 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I think the wave of the future for sports games will be to move from a yearly release to a release every 2-3 years. Just a thought.
Why would companies intentionally give up revenue? There is no reason for the likes of EA, 2k, or SCEA to move to every other year.

# 383 bigwill33 @ 03/10/15 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Not going to happen. Gaming companies are publicly traded in most cases and they have quotas and earnings to strive for. Not to mention, removing your game from a yearly cycle decreases the name brand recognition and opens up the door for other companies that can (and will) churn out products on a annual basis.

Even for the worst sports games, it is usually more profitable to keep releasing a half-baked product with sometimes nothing more than a roster update (See NHL 15 for 360 and PS3) than it is to not release a game at all.

# 384 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/10/15 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
Why would companies intentionally give up revenue? There is no reason for the likes of EA, 2k, or SCEA to move to every other year.
The only reason would be if the revenue was no longer worth their ROI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Not going to happen. Gaming companies are publicly traded in most cases and they have quotas and earnings to strive for. Not to mention, removing your game from a yearly cycle decreases the name brand recognition and opens up the door for other companies that can (and will) churn out products on a annual basis.

Even for the worst sports games, it is usually more profitable to keep releasing a half-baked product with sometimes nothing more than a roster update (See NHL 15 for 360 and PS3) than it is to not release a game at all.
Yeah, I buy those half-baked games just so they'll keep making yearly releases

# 385 Jimmydm90 @ 03/11/15 01:08 AM
Remember when sports games used to be one of the most prolific genres?

Every major sport had like 6 (or more) different franchises. Simulation, arcade, backyard, mario and street versions?

Hard to believe now.

# 386 havoc00 @ 03/11/15 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
I'm worried about sports games in general. It seems like sports titles are dropping like flies. The market for them seems like it gets smaller each year.
I really really miss the ps1 days, when we had like 3-4 different hockey games yearly among other sports. Also miss first party sports games, wish MS brought that back, and sony did hockey and basketball again

# 387 Blzer @ 03/15/15 02:52 PM
The year 2003 was great for baseball.

All Star Baseball 2004
World Series Baseball 2K3
MVP Baseball 2003
MLB 2004
MLB Inside Pitch 2003
High Heat Major League Baseball 2004
MLB SlugFest 20-04

Am I missing any? Home Run King and Backyard Baseball 2003 came out the year before, and MLB Power Pros wasn't available for another few years.

# 388 bronxbombers21325 @ 03/15/15 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The year 2003 was great for baseball.

All Star Baseball 2004
World Series Baseball 2K3
MVP Baseball 2003
MLB 2004
MLB Inside Pitch 2003
High Heat Major League Baseball 2004
MLB SlugFest 20-04

Am I missing any? Home Run King and Backyard Baseball 2003 came out the year before, and MLB Power Pros wasn't available for another few years.
I really, really loved High Heat baseball. Oh the hours I spent sitting in my dorm room playing that game.

# 389 MrOldboy @ 03/16/15 06:35 PM
I couldn't find an answer to this, but are all the bats the same shape geometrically? As in is it just the logo/color that changes on the bats? In one of the videos I saw they switched between a few bats and I didn't notice a change in the bat model's shape, just the color/logo.

Made a crappy gif of what I am talking about.

# 390 seanjeezy @ 03/16/15 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
I couldn't find an answer to this, but are all the bats the same shape geometrically? As in is it just the logo/color that changes on the bats? In one of the videos I saw they switched between a few bats and I didn't notice a change in the bat model's shape, just the color/logo.

Made a crappy gif of what I am talking about.

I asked Ramone the same question and he said yes

# 391 MrOldboy @ 03/16/15 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
I asked Ramone the same question and he said yes
Hopefully in the future they can try and incorporate more varied bat types since they do vary quite a bit in the MLB, but in practice the differences would only be apparent to those who payed close attention. Maybe not worth the extra effort.

# 392 seanjeezy @ 03/16/15 07:46 PM
Quote:
Hopefully in the future they can try and incorporate more varied bat types since they do vary quite a bit in the MLB, but in practice the differences would only be apparent to those who payed close attention. Maybe not worth the extra effort.
Waste of memory since the differences will not be noticeable in-game is what he said

# 393 MrOldboy @ 03/16/15 08:26 PM
Quote:
Waste of memory since the differences will not be noticeable in-game is what he said
That is what I would think, but opinion of course. I think it could be noticeable, especially if you could choose the bat length.

# 394 Russell_SCEA @ 03/16/15 08:36 PM
Quote:
Hey hey winner winner

# 395 Sip_16 @ 03/16/15 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Hey hey winner winner
Russell since the game is done, what can we expect from Mlb the show 18?

I kid, congrats on another year well done

# 396 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/17/15 11:35 AM
Quote:
Well if a third party made a MLB game it would be multiplat, at least XBO and PS4. But your assessment is correct I feel on why there is no competition for The Show. The market just isn't very large for MLB video games right now.

Even MLB 2k13 sold around 400k copies on X360, while MLB 13 sold around 650k.

That isn't a gigantic gap when you consider The Show is considered the vastly better product.

Even if EA put out an MVP baseball that was better than The Show and on multiple platforms, it just doesn't have a pool of customers large enough to make it a worth while investment. You have to bet hard that there are a lot of MLB fans that want a game, but cannot purchase one due to not owning a Sony console.

But, I hope we do someday see the return of MVP. It's just...what would it even be, could they even come close to what MVP 2005 was? Even then 2K and EA were battling it out for sales as 2K5 and MVP 2005 both sold well on PS2.
Yeah so right around a Million copies to split for MLB sales while NBA was almost around 5 million give or take so yeah its pretty obvious why Ea choose the NBA game.

Now others have talked about the demise of sports games and IMO with all this 100% sim stuff games push in their programming today they have lost a huge amount of the casual gamer market so another fine line between sim and fun .

Im not saying its the only reason but if you read the online reviews at Gamefaqs or even Amazon they seem to want real interaction and rewards like a video game and not always a roll of the dice so to say .

# 397 Jimmydm90 @ 03/17/15 02:54 PM
I always thought EA or 2k or somebody should make a hall of fame series (games for baseball, football and basketball). Fill them with legendary players and classic stadiums. Have objectives to reenact remarkable feats in sports history. Tons of flavor from sport's history (interesting trivia, amazing replays, sports milestones) I'm sure it would cost several boat loads but it was always a wish of mine.

# 398 LastActionHero @ 03/17/15 04:20 PM
I'm still hoping for The Bigs 3

# 399 THESHAMISASHAME @ 03/17/15 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmydm90
I always thought EA or 2k or somebody should make a hall of fame series (games for baseball, football and basketball). Fill them with legendary players and classic stadiums. Have objectives to reenact remarkable feats in sports history. Tons of flavor from sport's history (interesting trivia, amazing replays, sports milestones) I'm sure it would cost several boat loads but it was always a wish of mine.
Yeah just not worth the risk and these days things gotta make money look at 2k All Pro football as an example but its nice to dream and how did we ever get 7 MLB games in one year man the good ol days are gone ...

# 400 Cowboy008 @ 03/17/15 07:23 PM

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.