Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

Sony San Diego is currently livestreaming MLB 15 The Show on Twitch.TV. The developers will be playing a tournament all day long, so you will get plenty of gameplay and more details about the game.

Make sure you check it out here or click the spoiler button below, to view the embedded stream.

For those of you that miss out, this post will get updated with the archive.

UPDATE: The livestream has completed. Here is a link to the archive, it starts at roughly the 2:11 mark.

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Jaysworld26 @ 03/15/15 04:10 AM
Did they fix the ****ty online play that was in mlb show 14 for ps4? If not I'll stick to mlb14 because i will not be suckered to buy this years game for crappy online performance once again. Countless people complained on the shows facebook page about how horrible the online in mlb show 14 is and they ignored everyone.

# 162 nomo17k @ 03/15/15 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
To be honest I would be happy if they had all 4SFB's have some amount of fade on them, but have the amount tied to the movement rating. So a 1 movement 4SFB would be basically what The Show has had, but a 99 would be a 4SFB with a lot of fade on it. You can still have the running FB for pitchers that get even more movement on their "4SFB". Same for the new changeup breaks. Those are basically the ones I'd like to see get addressed, 4SFB and change.
AFAIK each individual Pitch Break attribute is tied to how fast the ball spins (often express in terms of rpm), so I think the effect you want can be generated by varying that attribute, e.g., high Break 4SFB should have more tailing action. That's why in one of the Brian@SCEA's message that Ramone forwarded to another thread he was discussing a lot of rpm's and adjustments made.

Quote:
Having control over sliders and curveballs would be even better, similar to MVP 2005. I'd love to see the elimination of sweeping curve and 12-6 and instead just have a curveball with (12-6, 11-5, 10-4) as options for trajectory. That might be asking for too much at this point, but it would be great to at least get the new fading breaks on 4SFM and Change in at some point for non-hardcoded pitchers (MLB w/pitchf/x data).

I think all 4SFB has some movement (i.e., not perfectly straight like it has been), even for generated players. What we cannot customize I think is in which direction it breaks (because pitch edit UI is still the same... we can only edit Break).

# 163 nomo17k @ 03/15/15 05:43 AM
BTW I enjoyed this stream a lot (despite the length.......). It's great to be able to see the developers having fun with their own creation. I mean, they literally live with the game all year long (designing, testing, playing, coding, etc., etc....), yet can still have this much fun with the game itself. I think it says a lot of about the replay value and how deep the game actually is. No wonder I haven't been able to give up on it after several years...

He lost at the end but people should appreciate how good Nick actually is moving PCI with Zone! Not many people have that level of PCI skill using Zone hitting...

# 164 bronxbombers21325 @ 03/15/15 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
Sure players might change mid game, but certainly not every single player at the exact same time.

Spoiler
I think they were playing an older build for this stream, and not the finished product. So there is a good chance that it has been fixed if it is a glitch.

# 165 Hockeynut99 @ 03/15/15 01:55 PM
I don't think I have ever seen a manager make a more bigger bone head play than that guy playing the Giants did. Outfielder in with the lead!

I hope the AI logo is not like that?

# 166 CubsWillRiseAgain @ 03/15/15 02:08 PM
is joe maddon in the game?

# 167 Cowboy008 @ 03/15/15 02:26 PM
I like that if a player doesn't have very good fielding ability they won't be able to do certain animations.

# 168 Dolenz @ 03/15/15 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysworld26
Did they fix the ****ty online play that was in mlb show 14 for ps4? If not I'll stick to mlb14 because i will not be suckered to buy this years game for crappy online performance once again. Countless people complained on the shows facebook page about how horrible the online in mlb show 14 is and they ignored everyone.
They did not ignore everybody, they just did not respond to everybody. Nick has stated more than once during the streams that they have spent the year trying to improve the online game play. Whether they succeeded or not is probably not going to be known though until the game is released and the servers are being hit with the full customer load.

You could just wait until a week after release and see how the online is working for others.

# 169 elfdutch @ 03/15/15 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HealyMonster
I don't know, I'll try and say this as constructively as possible, but it seems like this dev team, or whomever, chooses to play it safe rather than push limits.

The grass thing as an example. They seem to be using the same grass they used in the PS3 version. It doesn't look right, it doesn't scream ps4, pushing the limits. I hear them talk about they spent all this time working on the grass color. They have this new tech and yada yada, and it seems sort of misguided. Kind of the polishing a turd syndrome. Why spend so much time making somethung look better that doesn't look right to begin with.

The stadium graphics they use are sub par. They are creating the stadiums seemingly using the same images they used on PS3 but not they are higher resolution. They showed off the ballparks, and really it doesn't scream ps4 pushing the limits, it sort of strikes me as, well you added these things to stadiums using the same stuff you used on the rest of the stadiums.

They added spring training stadiums that were the ones from the PS3 version but "they look better" on the ps4.
Commentary is the same, graphical overlays are minimalist in nature and don't scream pushing the limits.

Hey can't add uniforms because of the uniform slot system. Ok. I get the point, but the second year on the ps4 I still don't want to be buying an upgraded version of the PS3 game.

Gameplay is great, I'm certain I will find enjoyment out of them game, but at what point is it ok to ask for a little more out of the game, it seems like a lot of corners are cut, and I don't want to be sold on "players skin tones and grass colors" when there are so many other areas that deserve more attention.

I kind of get what you are saying. I have been playing mlb the show since the very first edition on the PS2 (or was it PS1?)

However, in my opinion they did improve the game this year.
I have seen lots of great new fielding animations. They make the game look so much better and i'm sure it therefore play's better too.

The lighting is also a huge improvement. Makes the game look gorgeous.
I agree with your comment about the stadiums.
Even though they look a lot crisper now i believe there is much more that can be done.

Commentary and overall presentation still leaves a lot to be desired.
Both are becoming stale.
As someone else already mentioned : this game needs competition.

I have played the mlb 2k series as well. Even though these games were unfinished, they had some things that were really good.
I love their gesture pitching. Commentary was amazing.

Let's face it : because of the 2K series the show also started with gesture pitching. MLB the show live also came because of 2k. Even the menu's were sort of a copy of 2k.

But it is what is it : there is no competition.
And even though i sometimes feel that more could have been done : every year this game improves.
It's enough for me to buy it again this year.

EDIT : this is after watching the entire 7 hours of developper tournament

# 170 ebarws6 @ 03/15/15 10:54 PM
Well while it is pretty sweet that the new jumbotrons and ribbon boards made it in for the Coliseum as seen in this stream (as well as the new chants and sounds!!), there is still sooooo much wrong with the Coliseum.

For reference, here is a post I wrote in January of 2013 detailing pretty much everything I could, from which I received a response from thaSLAB after community day that year saying that the O.co artist at SCEA had seen my info and it would be put into "the vault" for future years.

Last year SCEA stated that that all stadiums were rebuilt from the ground up, so I was excited to see a fixed Coliseum, but it was the same exact thing. Some of the things I went over in my post were addressed such as the Value Deck being opened up and some signage changes, but the main, MAJOR, problem with the walls has gone unchanged. This has gotten me super worried since I assume that large structural problems such as this would not be easy to fix other than with an almost complete rebuild of the stadium.

Hopefully we will have a stadium feedback thread opening up on OS again soon because I would love to be in contact with SCEA to help fix this in any way I can. I will be working at the Coliseum again this summer so I will be available to get any reference photos or measurements of things, WHATEVER they might need in order to implement these changes.

Sorry that I am posting in here, but there doesn't exactly seem to be an appropriate place yet, it was just that O.co was seen in full in MLB 15 for the first time in this stream.

I know the Coliseum is a dump, but it's my dump, and it deserves better.

# 171 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/15 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
A bit worried about Ramone stating that you can't edit pitch breaks.

So from what he was saying it seems like

- only MLB pitchers will have custom pitch breaks
- those cannot be edited (What happens if you change the movement rating for that specific pitch or will it be grayed out? What happens i you change a MLB pitcher to have a different pitch?)
- For created players we will only get the old type of pitch breaks (straight 4SFB, no fade on changeups, etc.)

I was really looking forward to being able to use 4SFBs on created players or any player frankly and have it have some fade/run to it like we've seen in the streams. We'll have to continue using running and circle change which is fine, but can be annoying when some of the 4SFB breaks I've seen in the game look great and I prefer them over the old running FB or 2SFB breaks.
Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? What will we be able to edit pitch-wise? What won't we be able to edit? This has ramifications as to whether pitch edits are possible for OSFM this year and so forth.

# 172 Hockeynut99 @ 03/15/15 11:54 PM
Looks pretty damn close to me.

# 173 Hockeynut99 @ 03/15/15 11:55 PM
Looks close to me here too.

# 174 ebarws6 @ 03/16/15 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynut99
Looks close to me here too.
Read my post from 2013. The wall dimensions are way off. Everything visually looks great, yes, this is more from the gameplay of the field due to the shape of the field being much different.

# 175 Hockeynut99 @ 03/16/15 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarws6
Read my post from 2013. The wall dimensions are way off. Everything visually looks great, yes, this is more from the gameplay of the field due to the shape of the field being much different.
What? Do u mean about dimensions? I think
I see what you are saying.

# 176 LastActionHero @ 03/16/15 02:21 AM
During the tigers game there's no sun in the first inning and then it clears up in the second and there's a full sun. So we have dynamic cloud coverage this year which is awesome! I did not know that.

# 177 MrOldboy @ 03/16/15 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? What will we be able to edit pitch-wise? What won't we be able to edit? This has ramifications as to whether pitch edits are possible for OSFM this year and so forth.
Later in the stream Kirby started talking about the breaks on 4SFB's again and it sort of seemed like he said that all 4SFB's will have some break to them. I hope that is the case and that the amount of it is dictated by the ratings.

I hope at least that all 4SFM's, generated or MLB, will have some run to them between the old 4SFM and Running FB.

On the character artists stream there was nothing grayed out on Tanaka. That doesn't mean we can change them I guess, but it looked normal. The question I have is...

What happens when we change the break rating on MLB pitchers? Does it affect their custom pitch breaks at all?

# 178 merchant1874 @ 03/16/15 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarws6
Definately agree with your observations.

I study the stadiums a lot (especially places like the coliseum) and it is clear as day they are still using textures and assets from the Ps3 build.

the lighting this year has made a huge difference and the game looks better than ever but I agree with the phrase "polishing a turd" somewhat. Wish there was a better phrase as the show is certainly not a turd!

# 179 LastActionHero @ 03/16/15 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
Well, they did also say they haven't hit graphical maturity yet, and plan to hit it next year, if not the year after.... so things are STILL looking UP.

It took George Clooney 50 year to reach graphical maturity.

# 180 sink4ever @ 03/16/15 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
It took George Clooney 50 year to reach graphical maturity.

Wow. Well done.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.