Home
News Post

Well, it appears that Joe Montana Football is a game -- of some sorts.

Joe Montana tweeted the above screenshot
out to the internet, which appears to be an in-game screenshot of a football game long rumored to be in the works. It also appears to dispel the 'NFL game in the works' rumors that were floating around the last week. The screenshot shows Joe Montana (or someone with his name and number as his skin color looks much darker than Montana's) rolling out with players blocking and stumbling around.

The teams are both generic, and the stadium itself looks generic as well, although that much isn't fully clear. The screenshot features the Unreal Engine logo, and appears to be quite detailed -- but there's no signs of whether this game is for consoles, mobile platforms, or PC. Although just one screenshot, it definitely isn't a huge leap over what is already on the market sports games wise just at first glance, so it's really impossible to tell if this is even a console title, although it'd be a very impressive looking mobile/tablet title if that is the case.

The player models themselves look like a cross between Backbreaker and the old 2K titles, with the tall and slender bodies vs. more realistic proportions. But hey, it's way too early to be breaking these things down.

As mentioned by jyoung...

Quote:
No sports games have come out yet on UE 4. Action Arcade Wrestling 3 is using it, but that game's still in development.

UE 3 was used in several sports games:
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (terrible)
  • WWE All Stars (pretty good)
  • Black College Football: The Xperience (subpar)
  • Kinect Big League Sports (never played it)
  • Real Boxing (never played it)
  • Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring (never played it)
  • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars (never played it)
What do you see in the screenshot? Any clues as to what Joe Montana football is going to be at this point?

Member Comments
# 101 Trick13 @ 03/17/15 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjJunior
Hopefully size and weight matter, because those guys are looking the same height and weight in this screen.

I disagree. Look at this actual NFL photo;

Doesn't look all that dissimilar in terms of size differential to me. Look again at the screen shot of JM16 and look more closely at #60, he definitely appears larger, as does the guy he is blocking, especially the calf muscles and arms - the distance from the point of view also has some impact, or it should if they are doing their job well...

# 102 hanzsomehanz @ 03/17/15 05:01 AM
*Unreal Engine 😏

# 103 HighAlert @ 03/17/15 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
The helmet in the guy falling over is green unlike his teammates and looks like something out of Mutant League Football.

I do however understand its a touched up early pic.
Those helmets looK Freaking weird. Can't wait for them to show (hopefully soon) gameplay.

# 104 TemplateR @ 03/17/15 07:40 AM
I must admit, that I never played an "American Football"-Game in my life. Neither on PC or console. Why? I was never really interested in the Sport itself.
In the last few years however, I my interest in the sport itself gained. Reading NFL-News, watching some collegue-matches and the Super Bowls.

Anyway, I donīt want to buy a console to play Madden or something else. So my hope is now, that Joe Montana Football 16 will have a PC-Version.

Bring JM16 for all Plattforms and all players will be happy.

# 105 marc68 @ 03/17/15 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
I would support this game (especially if it comes to PC). As far as the licenses goes, it's almost better to have a deep editor. Licenses can be restrictive. For example, would love to see helmets flying and late hits etc. But so long as modding is a possibility who wouldn`t support a game like that. It would trounce Madden and EA. Madden and EA would be left to the casuals.
It won't make a dent in Madden sales. EA isn't concerned over an unlicensed game.

# 106 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes002
I'm excited. Never felt like this was going to be a NFL game and that screenshot is pretty clear that this game will be out on consoles.

Don't care if the game is generic, past NFL legends, or some type of future league....

JUST GIVE ME A SIM GAME OF FOOTBALL!!!
i totally agree with this, I find it funny/sad so many here for so long have be dying for a different football game other than madden. Now all the sudden we see one coming , and its " if its not NFL , im not buying" .Some of you just cant be pleased no matter what. Sadly its just a fact. Yeah, Id love another nfl game, but honestly if the gameplay is good ,and the franchise mode is good, what does it really matter if your not playing as your favorite NFL team? I mean really, either your a football fan , or your just an NFL fan.

However you feel there, if you ever want to see a way for the NFL to stop renewing with EA, you will have to support a different football game enough to make the NFL say , hey , wait a minute theres a big market for this game. If you guys just dont bother to buy this game just because its "not NFL" , then the sales numbers wont ever be good enough to make the NFL even think twice and you will continue to be screwed with EA making the only football game and we know how that goes. So if you want an option, even if this isnt your ideal option at the moment, i suggest , if it plays good, you support it , and help change the future of football video gaming. Otherwise, stop crying about how madden is just roster update and broken every year, cause its all your gonna ever get .

# 107 marc68 @ 03/17/15 08:30 AM
I hope those green signs that are in the the stadium and too blurry to read,don't say Xbox!

If this game is Xbox/pc exclusive it will kill already the small sales it'll get.

I personally want a new football game like everyone else who is tired of the stale bread called Madden.....BUT not buying a new console for it,that's for sure.

# 108 RandyBass @ 03/17/15 08:38 AM
The screenshot seems to indicate that it's not a mobile game, thankfully. Even if the game is so-so, would be a breath of fresh air compared to the staleness of Madden.

# 109 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc68
I hope those green signs that are in the the stadium and too blurry to read,don't say Xbox!

If this game is Xbox/pc exclusive it will kill already the small sales it'll get.

I personally want a new football game like everyone else who is tired of the stale bread called Madden.....BUT not buying a new console for it,that's for sure.
Yes this is the other issue, Because so many are dead set to not buy it if not NFL , they better make it for all consoles and pc to maximize their sales numbers. Cause like you , myself and many many others arent going out to buy an XBOX or PC just for this game .If they limit it to just those two, i have a bad feeling about its future and being stuck with madden for a long long long time as our only choice. Which is actually why im glad its not NFL though as the rumor that said it was only on xbox and pc also included that it was NFL game along with the whole story of how microsoft could make an nfl game and so on. So if not nfl , it can def be made on all consoles, and id like to think that Joe and the devs knew when they started , they need it on all consoles to maximize the sales.

# 110 jpollack34 @ 03/17/15 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gettable fire
This looks promising. What I believe is that there should be a decent contender with Madden for us sim guys.

If this game really does have a good franchise mode, if will be a buy from me. On PC? even better. The real icing on the cake would it being very customizable. I'm feeling more confident about the potential of this game.
I agree looks promising.

And with the PC it`s always customizable. That`s the beauty of the PC.

The power of the PC!

# 111 Yankees_CT @ 03/17/15 08:53 AM
Alright, wasn't going to comment until I at least knew it was on consoles/PC. From this shot it looks to be. I'm on board. Hopefully this starts the info flow.

# 112 bmuny101 @ 03/17/15 08:55 AM
Im excited that competition seems to be real. The cryptic tweets that Joe has been sending indicates that this game shouldnt be taken lightly so thats how Im approaching this situation.

This is just one screen and theres some good and bad to be seen here. I think more info is coming soon so we just have to wait and see. I think the build up to tge end product is great as it gets the community talking football again and brings back guys who have been dissatisfied with Madden for many years. Looks like Joe is leading the way with the release of info so we all just have to wait for the next leak.

# 113 TemplateR @ 03/17/15 08:56 AM
Someone should do an JM16-Treatment for Ice Hockey and Baseball.

# 114 sportyguyfl31 @ 03/17/15 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
The screenshot seems to indicate that it's not a mobile game, thankfully. Even if the game is so-so, would be a breath of fresh air compared to the staleness of Madden.

The problem with this, is that if it is a so-so game, it will fail.

People talk a good game about supporting a non-license product. We saw this with APF...and at the end of the day the game didnt sell and we didnt we see another one. I think for the game to show that it has potential long term staying power, it has to be, at worst, on par with M16..given that it will be starting out with the disadvantage of being unlicensed.

If JM16 is so-so and M16 is significantly better, why on earth am I going to waste my time customizing the game (or waiting for the community to do it for me) when I can just pop in the better game and be on my way?

I'm going to give the game a chance, and so will the majority of the folks here, I'm sure...but the casual consumer itsnt like us freaks over here

# 115 djordan @ 03/17/15 09:02 AM
My view, I couldn't care less if the game doesn't have the NFL license. Common sense would tell you that this game, based off the new picture, does not resemble the NFL in no way, shape, or form. If the game is fully customizable (Logos, helmets, jerseys, cleats, stadiums, etc...), along with rich/immersive gameplay ( animations that are fluent and transition smoothly between one another, 2/3/4 man gang tackles, dynamic weather that actually affects the game, etc...) I will be happy.

I just saw a video of gameplay from the "Other Game", and mannn, I can't believe how their animations are still lacking almost 10 years after PS2 days. We thought backbreaker would be our savior in terms of football gaming, but what killed that game was it's camera angle. APF2k8 wasn't as customizable as we initially thought, along with it not really being built from the ground up for PS3/XBOX360 consoles ( I believe they used old assets from previous gen). I know Epic and their Unreal Engine 4 has plenty of potential in which they've never made a sports title, but I'm curious to see what they have in store if this Joe Montana football game rumor is actually true!

# 116 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The problem with this, is that if it is a so-so game, it will fail.

People talk a good game about supporting a non-license product. We saw this with APF...and at the end of the day the game didnt sell and we didnt we see another one. I think for the game to show that it has potential long term staying power, it has to be, at worst, on par with M16..given that it will be starting out with the disadvantage of being unlicensed.

If JM16 is so-so and M16 is significantly better, why on earth am I going to waste my time customizing the game (or waiting for the community to do it for me) when I can just pop in the better game and be on my way?

I'm going to give the game a chance, and so will the majority of the folks here, I'm sure...but the casual consumer itsnt like us freaks over here
I dont think it has to be "on par" with madden exactly, NBA LIVE has come back from the grave and last year it was a joke compared to 2kNBA. This year it improved but is still not as good as 2k. I think the graphics can even be alittle below madden as long as the gameplay seems more realistic than madden. No forced animations would be a good start, they are killing madden this year. Also madden continues to screw things up for Franchise mode cause they putting all they money into stupid MUT.If this games gameplay and franchise brings more of what people wanting than madden, or even close , it will sell . As long as its on ps4, ill be buying it for sure!

# 117 jpollack34 @ 03/17/15 09:13 AM
If you have been following anything that is happening in gaming you will realize you don`t need astronomical sales to be a success. Being niche is a thing now. Particularly if you look at the PC space. Take City Skylines. It has 500K in sales in 4 days. For Madden that`s a failure. For that small dev team that created it -- with no marketing budget, small team, total grassroots effort -- it is a massive success. Further, with Steam, digital distribution costs are minimal -- no disks to produce no shipping costs etc.

Further, Unreal Engine has gone to a free model. It is absolutely free up front now, and you pay a 5% royalty of profits. So you only pay if you are successful. An Engine that once cost half a million or more is now free. If your product isnt licensed, that`s more savings -- NFL has ridiculous costs anyway, they should be paying the games for advertising imo but whatever. So you save there as well.

The point is we have entered a new era in gaming. One where the barrier to entry (high cost) has been blown wide open.

To be successful sometimes require thinking outside the AAA mental box. You don`t need to sell millions and millions of copies. Those days have ended.

# 118 bmuny101 @ 03/17/15 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
My view, I couldn't care less if the game doesn't have the NFL license. Common sense would tell you that this game, based off the new picture, does not resemble the NFL in no way, shape, or form. If the game is fully customizable (Logos, helmets, jerseys, cleats, stadiums, etc...), along with rich/immersive gameplay ( animations that are fluent and transition smoothly between one another, 2/3/4 man gang tackles, dynamic weather that actually affects the game, etc...) I will be happy.

I just saw a video of gameplay from the "Other Game", and mannn, I can't believe how their animations are still lacking almost 10 years after PS2 days. We thought backbreaker would be our savior in terms of football gaming, but what killed that game was it's camera angle. APF2k8 wasn't as customizable as we initially thought, along with it not really being built from the ground up for PS3/XBOX360 consoles ( I believe they used old assets from previous gen). I know Epic and their Unreal Engine 4 has plenty of potential in which they've never made a sports title, but I'm curious to see what they have in store if this Joe Montana football game rumor is actually true!
Im with you. I could careless if the the game is not an NFL licensed. You cant ask for competition and then have stipulations on if you will support it or not. Everybody saying "if its only on Xbox and PC I'm not buying it" they are giving away Xboxs right now and if I didn't have one I'd run out and get one for this title. People making excuses already as to why they won't support the game. Once they announce platforms Im preordering.

# 119 bmuny101 @ 03/17/15 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpollack34
If you have been following anything that is happening in gaming you will realize you don`t need astronomical sales to be a success. Being niche is a thing now. Particularly if you look at the PC space. Take City Skylines. It has 500K in sales in 4 days. For Madden that`s a failure. For that small dev team that created it -- with no marketing budget, small team, total grassroots effort -- it is a massive success. Further, with Steam, digital distribution costs are minimal -- no disks to produce no shipping costs etc.

Further, Unreal Engine has gone to a free model. It is absolutely free up front now, and you pay a 5% royalty of profits. So you only pay if you are successful. An Engine that once cost half a million or more is now free. If your product isnt licensed, that`s more savings -- NFL has ridiculous costs anyway, they should be paying the games for advertising imo but whatever. So you save there as well.

The point is we have entered a new era in gaming. One where the barrier to entry (high cost) has been blown wide open.

To be successful sometimes require thinking outside the AAA mental box. You don`t need to sell millions and millions of copies. Those days have ended.
Great points made there even if its only Xbox and PC if the did 1.5 million they could deem that a success. This game is coming out of left field and could make a huge splash without doing astronomical numbers

# 120 mvb34 @ 03/17/15 09:28 AM
I hope its on the PC so make my PC relevant again...

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.