Home
News Post

Well, it appears that Joe Montana Football is a game -- of some sorts.

Joe Montana tweeted the above screenshot
out to the internet, which appears to be an in-game screenshot of a football game long rumored to be in the works. It also appears to dispel the 'NFL game in the works' rumors that were floating around the last week. The screenshot shows Joe Montana (or someone with his name and number as his skin color looks much darker than Montana's) rolling out with players blocking and stumbling around.

The teams are both generic, and the stadium itself looks generic as well, although that much isn't fully clear. The screenshot features the Unreal Engine logo, and appears to be quite detailed -- but there's no signs of whether this game is for consoles, mobile platforms, or PC. Although just one screenshot, it definitely isn't a huge leap over what is already on the market sports games wise just at first glance, so it's really impossible to tell if this is even a console title, although it'd be a very impressive looking mobile/tablet title if that is the case.

The player models themselves look like a cross between Backbreaker and the old 2K titles, with the tall and slender bodies vs. more realistic proportions. But hey, it's way too early to be breaking these things down.

As mentioned by jyoung...

Quote:
No sports games have come out yet on UE 4. Action Arcade Wrestling 3 is using it, but that game's still in development.

UE 3 was used in several sports games:
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD (terrible)
  • WWE All Stars (pretty good)
  • Black College Football: The Xperience (subpar)
  • Kinect Big League Sports (never played it)
  • Real Boxing (never played it)
  • Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring (never played it)
  • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars (never played it)
What do you see in the screenshot? Any clues as to what Joe Montana football is going to be at this point?

Member Comments
# 141 ElectricAggie @ 03/17/15 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
I like it. It takes another step away Madden and what we consider football gaming. I don't want to look at the same game, so I'm appreciating the difference.
Maybe the game is NFL Fever-esque. The player models were bulkier than their real life counterparts. However, I would consider it a sim game. I loved the graphics it had for being 2002.Attachment 94034

# 142 roadman @ 03/17/15 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'll be honest - that does look like an Xbox banner in the out-of-focus stadium. And if it is, that probably means this game is Xbox exclusive, which means I have no dog in this fight. The PC rumors came out of that one-post wonder, and I seriously doubt the credibility of that post.

But that pic is so low-res that I don't know what to make of it. To me, the only thing that this confirms is that there is actually a football game of some sort being made.
I agree, that post shouldn't be taken in consideration at this moment going forward. The post stated the game would have the NFL over it.

At the very least, that post needs to be taken much less seriously.

# 143 MajorSupreme @ 03/17/15 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree, that post shouldn't be taken in consideration at this moment going forward. The post stated the game would have the NFL over it.

At the very least, that post needs to be taken much less seriously.
Also stated 2K was involved. Also debunked. I do not take any grains of salt with that post.

# 144 kjcheezhead @ 03/17/15 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'll be honest - that does look like an Xbox banner in the out-of-focus stadium. And if it is, that probably means this game is Xbox exclusive, which means I have no dog in this fight. The PC rumors came out of that one-post wonder, and I seriously doubt the credibility of that post.

But that pic is so low-res that I don't know what to make of it. To me, the only thing that this confirms is that there is actually a football game of some sort being made.
I don't know, if this had been NFL I could see it being an Xbox exclusive but a generic game needs all the help it can get. I don't see them ignoring the PlayStation market. Of course Black College Football went exclusive so it's not impossible.

# 145 sportyguyfl31 @ 03/17/15 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
I dont think it has to be "on par" with madden exactly, NBA LIVE has come back from the grave and last year it was a joke compared to 2kNBA. This year it improved but is still not as good as 2k. I think the graphics can even be alittle below madden as long as the gameplay seems more realistic than madden. No forced animations would be a good start, they are killing madden this year. Also madden continues to screw things up for Franchise mode cause they putting all they money into stupid MUT.If this games gameplay and franchise brings more of what people wanting than madden, or even close , it will sell . As long as its on ps4, ill be buying it for sure!

Valid comparison with the basketball games. I play both basketball games and so do many others..Live does have a following even if the game isnt as robust as 2k's offering yet.

# 146 howboutdat @ 03/17/15 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I don't know, if this had been NFL I could see it being an Xbox exclusive but a generic game needs all the help it can get. I don't see them ignoring the PlayStation market. Of course Black College Football went exclusive so it's not impossible.
this is what im feeling too. If its generic, what would they really benefit from being an exclusive? Dont make good sense really. MLB the show ,is MLB. This not looking like its NFL, says to me it will be on both consoles . It would be dumb to leave out the Playstation owners , when there is a huge market there . More PS4s sold than xbox 1s alone says that. Many will not go buy another console for 1 game, its just not going to happen. I cant see them being dumb enough to limit it like that personally, if so , i think it will end up exactly where that game you mentioned did ( Black College Football) ... in the well forgotten bin in no time.

# 147 jjazwick @ 03/17/15 11:22 AM
Maybe someday we will be able to have reviews like this one with Joe Montana football coming back out! Love the points when they talked about Madden player movement and sliding and how ESPN NFL had better movement!

# 148 footballismyhobby @ 03/17/15 11:41 AM
That definitely looks like an XBOX banner. If it is, can we then give the post more credibility?

Or should I just shut up and still forget about it?

I disagree with those just discounting this as an NFL game right away.

Don't you guys the least bit consider that they just can't reveal it's licenced yet?

I am not saying I think it is licenced, all I'm saying is don't forget right away that this could just be custom teams.

Thoughts?

# 149 roadman @ 03/17/15 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballismyhobby
That definitely looks like an XBOX banner. If it is, can we then give the post more credibility?

Don't you guys the least bit consider that they just can't reveal it's licenced yet?

I am not saying I think it is licenced, all I'm saying is don't forget right away that this could just be custom teams.

Thoughts?
Sure, we could do that, if it's the only thing that is true?

I have to go by a picture tells a thousand words. Why mess any more around with your audience than you already have?

If it's licensed, then all probability it's a mobile game.

# 150 SageInfinite @ 03/17/15 11:48 AM
Love that we finally got something. Looks good but gotta see it in motion. Madden looks good in screenshots as well, then when in motion.........you know.

One thing I like is if he's rolling out to the left his form looks correct. Unlike Madden rolling out to the left the qb doesn't have his shoulders facing down field and isn't even looking down the field for options. Crap looks terrible.

Looking forward to seeing more.

# 151 bcruise @ 03/17/15 11:52 AM
Quote:

Thoughts?
I still don't buy that 2k is involved, which is one of the other things that post said. I can't just deny that part of it and believe the rest (license part included) without question. That's why I doubt the PC part as well. That's how I felt even before the screenshot.

# 152 mestevo @ 03/17/15 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
this is what im feeling too. If its generic, what would they really benefit from being an exclusive? Dont make good sense really. MLB the show ,is MLB. This not looking like its NFL, says to me it will be on both consoles . It would be dumb to leave out the Playstation owners , when there is a huge market there . More PS4s sold than xbox 1s alone says that. Many will not go buy another console for 1 game, its just not going to happen. I cant see them being dumb enough to limit it like that personally, if so , i think it will end up exactly where that game you mentioned did ( Black College Football) ... in the well forgotten bin in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Exclusivity has the potential benefits of reduced production costs (no porting, etc) and perhaps some benefits from the platform holder. All indications remain that this is a pretty small team, so those could be pretty enticing benefits.

The Windows 10/Xbox One push is making it easier to not only make games for both, but for them to play together also. For small productions that's got to be attractive. Tools like Unreal though are relatively platform agnostic and could help defray the development cost of multi-platform development. That's about as far as I speculate though, someone like CM Hooe could probably better elaborate.

There are costs involved though, both licensing and development not just benefits of being available to more people. The Xbox One / PS4 sales gap in the primary market isn't all that massive either.

As for purchasing decisions, depth of features and an attractive/unobtrusive gimmick will what decide for me. Platform or it not being Madden isn't enough, those elements will determine if it's a day one console purchase or a sub $10 pickup during the Steam spring sale.

# 153 NicVirtue @ 03/17/15 11:56 AM
People already picking it apart off 1 screen shot?

# 154 bcruise @ 03/17/15 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
People already picking it apart off 1 screen shot?
Better than 1200+ posts picking apart a bunch of cryptic tweets...

Edit: oh, 1200 was really undershooting. More like 1800 when you add in the first thread (this is now the third)

# 155 CM Hooe @ 03/17/15 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAggie
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but any chance this is a new Blitz game?
Doesn't EA own the Blitz IP now? I'm pretty sure the most recent NFL Blitz game was an EA Sports game.

# 156 aholbert32 @ 03/17/15 12:19 PM
Quote:

Thoughts?

That looks like it could be an Xbox banner. The problem is MS hasn't used that logo since the original Xbox and it looks nothing like the Xbox one logos

# 157 bigbob @ 03/17/15 12:19 PM
The screenshot, to me, doesn't look that good.

Looks like an indy game you'd pay $5 for.

# 158 Jr. @ 03/17/15 12:21 PM
This looks exactly like Back Breaker to me (player models). Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I expected either

# 159 footballismyhobby @ 03/17/15 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
The screenshot, to me, doesn't look that good.

Looks like an indy game you'd pay $5 for.
LOL, nice joke, I needed that.

But seriously, this looks like Madden 15 on PS4 to me, surprised many people haven't made that comparison.

And for a first game, that's pretty damn good.

# 160 vabeachboy19 @ 03/17/15 12:23 PM
As a former QB I already appreciate the QB mechanics in the screenshot. He is rolling away from his throwing arm but still attempting to keep his shoulders pointed upfield. This is something that I always loved about all pro football 2k8. QB mechanics and footwork are a thing of beauty in that game.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.