Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

There are only a few things I'm sure of in this world, and one of them is that every spring MLB: The Show is going to release as one of the best sports video games of the year. There is a certain comfort to it all. The game doesn't change much, new features don't even have to be used (which really should be a staple in all sports games), and the game isn't going to have a single bug in it that is going to ruin my experience.

But when does this comfort become apathy? Baseball, more so than almost any other sport, thrives on tradition. The Show, in return, seems to do the same. Reliably consistent, the series makes additions that don't really change anything, but rather enhance the experience. As other games evolve and devolve by taking chances, The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind. Often times, this works in its favor. Other times, it makes me wonder when and if we'll ever see MLB: The Show take another big leap forward.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions (Written by - Ben Vollmer)

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 extremeskins04 @ 03/31/15 06:01 PM
I kinda disagree with some of your cons.

- The AI in the outfield is the best I've seen this year. It's actually incredibly fun to watch and play the fielding in this year's game.

- In the 4 games I've played so far, the pitcher's dodge balls that come right for their head. I know the rebounds off pitchers happened alot last year, but I'm not seeing it this year yet. That will probably change though.

- I am happy to say I haven't experienced any framerate issues. I thought there were some watching Twitch streams but actually playing the game is silky smooth.

# 2 KillerSloth @ 03/31/15 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

There are only a few things I'm sure of in this world, and one of them is that every spring MLB: The Show is going to release as one of the best sports video games of the year. There is a certain comfort to it all. The game doesn't change much, new features don't even have to be used (which really should be a staple in all sports games), and the game isn't going to have a single bug in it that is going to ruin my experience.

But when does this comfort become apathy? Baseball, more so than almost any other sport, thrives on tradition. The Show, in return, seems to do the same. Reliably consistent, the series makes additions that don't really change anything, but rather enhance the experience. As other games evolve and devolve by taking chances, The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind. Often times, this works in its favor. Other times, it makes me wonder when and if we'll ever see MLB: The Show take another big leap forward.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Reviewer Day One Impressions (Written by - Ben Vollmer)
I don't agree with anything at all here, there is so much wrong with what is said here....The show is fabulous so a total over haul doesnt make sense,m but what they do change does indeed make a big difference in the details of how the game feels and plays...Baseball is a game of details and so is the show.

After one game the improvements were obvious in fielding, hit variety, graphics, presentation. All added to what feels like a vastly improved game.

# 3 GoSeahawks @ 03/31/15 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
- In the 4 games I've played so far, the pitcher's dodge balls that come right for their head. I know the rebounds off pitchers happened alot last year, but I'm not seeing it this year yet. That will probably change though.
I'm 22 games into my franchise (Hitting only/auto play pitching) and I have seen the pitcher get hit twice this season. In MLB14, it happened nearly every game. This is definitely an improvement.

# 4 inkcil @ 03/31/15 09:52 PM
Great write up. If you love baseball, this game is a gift. But there are areas where it gets "stale" such as the sounds (commentary, organ music, crowd, ambiance, etc.) and the fielding (such as the control (or lack of) you have over the catcher when he catches the ball on a throw to home with the runner bearing down the line). In time, SCEA will probably enhance this and much more, but only time will tell. In the meantime, great write up. Have fun!

# 5 BenGerman @ 03/31/15 10:23 PM
Thanks, Inkcil. I definitely love the game and can see some people are already misconstruing my critiques for the game as me disliking it. That's okay, nature of the beast I suppose.

Extreme, I've had a limited amount of time with the game as well so I'm sure some things will change for both of us!

# 6 Jakeness23 @ 03/31/15 11:34 PM
Just wish there was more individualization of players by the way they move. Also, catches still get up and out of their stance, pick up the ball, and are ready to throw before the batter is out of the box on a dropped their strike or a bunt. Also, on the dropped third strike, they still throw across the foul line instead of on the outside of it.

Other than that the game looks and plays really, really well.

# 7 triguous @ 04/01/15 12:27 AM
On hit and runs, runners slide into second base even if the batter gets a base hit. Does anyone know if this can be disabled?

# 8 AUTiger1 @ 04/01/15 12:52 AM
Just got done playing my first game and it left me very frustrated. I managed just 3 hits. Now granted I was going up against Jose Fernandez who is insanely good but still it was frustrating because there were 3 or 4 hard hit fly balls that just did not go anywhere. Just lazy cans of corn.

On the other side of the scale I gave up just 2 runs but they were both very frustrating runs to give up. One scored on a wild pitch that only got a few feet away from the catcher. I had plenty of time to run back towards the plate and tag the runner out before he scored but I was hitting the button to try to throw it to my pitcher who was nowhere near home. I have no idea why he didn't cover home but by the time I realized he wasn't covering home and that I was going to have to run and try to tag the runner out it was too late and he was safe.

The next run scored on a perfectly executed squeeze play. But it never would have happened had my pickoff throw earlier in the inning not sailed into the stands. The frustrating thing about that was that I wasn't even trying to pick off the guy. I was just trying to throw over so I could get a different pitch to throw because I hit the wrong button and selected the wrong pitch.

The other very frustrating thing that happened to me was after one of the 3 hits I got I wanted to attempt to steal 2nd and my baserunner took off for 2nd before the pitch was thrown and turned into a dead duck. I have no on early idea why that happened so I cannot prevent it from happenening again.

Just very frustrating, it's like I never played The Show before and I've been playing it since 2007.

# 9 CujoMatty @ 04/01/15 03:31 AM
"The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind."

It left pure analog enthusiasts way behind this year....... great game I'm gonna love it regardless but this was a mistake IMO.

Please please please mention the changes to analog batting in your full review. I know from reading the forums that for users of the system it's not being well received. We need it to be mentioned so that the developers take note and hopefully bring it back next year. It was the most realistic way of hitting and it was even promoted as such in the media in 2011 when it was introduced as pointed out by a os member in the forums. We really need it as an option.

# 10 deadhousegates @ 04/01/15 04:32 AM
What are the changes to the analog hitting?

# 11 bukktown @ 04/01/15 08:05 AM
I've seen more pitchers dodging balls back up the box in one gMe of 2015 than I have seen all of last year.

# 12 burjeffton @ 04/01/15 10:30 AM
I definitely agree with most of your list. The game is much smoother and has a better level of polish. The directional hitting adds a whole new wrinkle to the at-bat. I like it a lot.

That said, I strongly agree with the crowd noise/reaction to plays. It would be nice to see commentary and environment audio revamped next.

# 13 bfindeisen @ 04/01/15 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Just got done playing my first game and it left me very frustrated. I managed just 3 hits. Now granted I was going up against Jose Fernandez who is insanely good but still it was frustrating because there were 3 or 4 hard hit fly balls that just did not go anywhere. Just lazy cans of corn.

On the other side of the scale I gave up just 2 runs but they were both very frustrating runs to give up. One scored on a wild pitch that only got a few feet away from the catcher. I had plenty of time to run back towards the plate and tag the runner out before he scored but I was hitting the button to try to throw it to my pitcher who was nowhere near home. I have no idea why he didn't cover home but by the time I realized he wasn't covering home and that I was going to have to run and try to tag the runner out it was too late and he was safe.

The next run scored on a perfectly executed squeeze play. But it never would have happened had my pickoff throw earlier in the inning not sailed into the stands. The frustrating thing about that was that I wasn't even trying to pick off the guy. I was just trying to throw over so I could get a different pitch to throw because I hit the wrong button and selected the wrong pitch.

The other very frustrating thing that happened to me was after one of the 3 hits I got I wanted to attempt to steal 2nd and my baserunner took off for 2nd before the pitch was thrown and turned into a dead duck. I have no on early idea why that happened so I cannot prevent it from happenening again.

Just very frustrating, it's like I never played The Show before and I've been playing it since 2007.
You've played this since 2007? Because you're not acting like it. Why throw to first when you didn't like your pitch instead of just stepping off the mound? The baserunner is stealing because you're accidentally squeezing the trigger on the controller during the at-bat (and, yes, you are. this isn't a glitch. it's a well-known common mistake). I think you're a bit rusty. Also, maybe play a few more games.

# 14 Lisac @ 04/01/15 12:18 PM
Love the game. Hate they changed some of the fielding views when batting!

# 15 MAGboyswifT27 @ 04/01/15 12:31 PM
For the most part I agree with what most people have already shared. There aren't any cons to me to be honest. One minor thing is that I enjoyed last year's soundtrack compared to this year's but other than that this is the best sports game we have out now IMO..

# 16 BenGerman @ 04/01/15 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
"The Show seems so comfortable in its own skin that it seems uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it behind."

It left pure analog enthusiasts way behind this year....... great game I'm gonna love it regardless but this was a mistake IMO.

Please please please mention the changes to analog batting in your full review. I know from reading the forums that for users of the system it's not being well received. We need it to be mentioned so that the developers take note and hopefully bring it back next year. It was the most realistic way of hitting and it was even promoted as such in the media in 2011 when it was introduced as pointed out by a os member in the forums. We really need it as an option.
As an analog user myself, I'm sure it will be brought up. It definitely is frustrating.

# 17 CaseIH @ 04/01/15 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I kinda disagree with some of your cons.

- The AI in the outfield is the best I've seen this year. It's actually incredibly fun to watch and play the fielding in this year's game.

- I am happy to say I haven't experienced any framerate issues. I thought there were some watching Twitch streams but actually playing the game is silky smooth.

Same here, love how the OF tracks down balls this year, and they even put in a IF/OF slider for errors, which I know had been ask for a few years back, so glad they finally were able to get it in.

IMO what makes MLBTS so good every year is they don't try to reinvent the wheel, or try to add too much like you see with NBA2k or Madden, and that's why they don't typically have major bugs that ruin the game like those 2 games do every year.

Id much rather see a game enhance and improve each year and it be done right as have a game company that tries ot sell a bunch of new stuff only to find out it was half assed and glitched, along with lies, which is what NBA2k does to people basically every year.

I hope MLBTS devs continue on how they have did things and don't let the dam crybabies that will complain no matter whatm ake them decide to try and add more in a years time. I want it done right the 1st time, and while bugs do get thru these devs have always been good at fixing, unlike other companies Ive mentioned.

# 18 dholland @ 04/01/15 02:42 PM
What aboot online, it was their Achilles heel last year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.