Home
MLB 15 The Show News Post

This post is the first in a new series from Jake Berger entitled, "The Show Training 101". You can check Jake out on YouTube here.

Welcome to the first episode in my new series, The Show Training 101, where we’ll take an in-depth look at various mechanics and control schemes, analyze how they’re implemented in MLB 15 The Show, and explore the ways in which you can leverage your newfound knowledge to take your game to the next level.

Read More - MLB 15 The Show: Zone Hitting Guide (Video)

Game: MLB 15 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 31 - View All
MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Wolverines05 @ 04/23/15 01:34 PM
Hey guys, I hope you find the video helpful! I'll be making more MLB 15 guide videos, covering various hitting/pitching mechanics and interfaces, so stay tuned for more.

Here is the video on Youtube!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NC83uuymo

Thanks for posting Chris!

# 2 SlapShotSal @ 04/23/15 03:51 PM
Nice job. Thank you for the work you did on this.

# 3 Wolverines05 @ 04/23/15 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapShotSal
Nice job. Thank you for the work you did on this.
thanks. working on a directional hitting guide now as well.

# 4 Bobhead @ 04/23/15 08:40 PM
Those nuances you talk about around the halfway point of the video (such as keeping the PCI high to increase the likelihood of a ground ball), are at the core of the reason I absolutely love zone hitting. It just gives you so much control.

Anyway, great video!

# 5 RangersCruz @ 04/23/15 09:15 PM
what if you just keep it at the middle and press x?

# 6 iLLWiLL @ 04/23/15 09:17 PM
Great video. Thank you for the tips.

I'm interested to know how everyone positions their thumb on the left analog stick. I can't bend my thumb so sharply the way creator of the video does while still feeling like I have control of the stick; feels like the stick is going to slip out from underneath my thumb.

Therefore I keep my thumb much more straightened out but not locked, just slightly bent, with the 'meat' of my thumb on the top of the stick -- I feel I have more control than using the video's tip. Whether I use my form, or the Jake Berger's form, I still feel less in control whenever I push the stick UP ...

How does everyone position their thumb on the stick?

P.S., I wonder if they sell like rubber thumb pads, that keep your grip on the analog stick...? Or should i just get a thimble? lol

# 7 Wolverines05 @ 04/23/15 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
what if you just keep it at the middle and press x?
well you better hope the pitch goes right down the middle lol. but on the lower difficulty levels, the pci comprises such a large percentage of the strike zone (~75) that you needn't move the pci unless its way out of the zone.

# 8 NC12 @ 04/23/15 09:51 PM
Great vid. Looking forward to more

# 9 xBravesx @ 04/23/15 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL

I'm interested to know how everyone positions their thumb on the left analog stick. I can't bend my thumb so sharply the way creator of the video does while still feeling like I have control of the stick; feels like the stick is going to slip out from underneath my thumb.

Therefore I keep my thumb much more straightened out but not locked, just slightly bent, with the 'meat' of my thumb on the top of the stick -- I feel I have more control than using the video's tip. Whether I use my form, or the Jake Berger's form, I still feel less in control whenever I push the stick UP ...

P.S., I wonder if they sell like rubber thumb pads, that keep your grip on the analog stick...? Or should i just get a thimble? lol
Dude, I seriously lol'ed at the thimble remark! I, too, would like to know other thumb positioning that are successful.

# 10 kac @ 04/23/15 10:35 PM
I play with zone hitting with pci off

# 11 badmrfrosty7 @ 04/23/15 11:19 PM
Cool, well-detailed video! I've always loved PCI hitting although I wish they'd replicate the Pro Yakyuu reticle instead of having the oval.

Personal preference, but I was never able to keep up with any pitches high, and always felt like I was missing out on pitching mistakes that were up in the zone, so I always keep my PCI high in the zone that way I am right on those pitches (moving left or right, just following the pitch as usual) or leave the stick in a rest position if it's pitched in the middle (at the belt) or follow the pitch downward if it's low.

I've had a lot of success with this method since I personally believe it's easier to track balls up to down from a pitchers hand and I feel like it makes reacting a lot easier since you don't have to think 'up or down, if it's not in the middle', you're just thinking 'downward, if it's not up', so it's just a single reaction instead of a split reaction, if that makes any effing sense at all since I'm probably reasonably self-conscious in the logic in this. It's all hand-eye coordination and reaction and whatever at the end of the day.

Anyway, I don't stick to this all the time, changing where I'll hold the PCI depending on the pitcher/batter scenario, but it's my go-to for when I just need to lock-in and track the ball if I'm in a rut or anything.

# 12 Bobhead @ 04/23/15 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBravesx
Dude, I seriously lol'ed at the thimble remark! I, too, would like to know other thumb positioning that are successful.
I dont hold it the way the video creator does either. I just hold it normally, except my thumb intentionally extends past the analog stick a bit... so that I'm practically touching the stick with the underside of my knuckle, instead of the tip of my thumb. This helps me avoid the "overadjustment" problem that was described in the video, since I'm basically applying pressure to my entire thumb (which is heavier), instead of just the last segment.

I haven't tried it his way before though, so I'm going to give it a shot in my next game.

# 13 Wolverines05 @ 04/24/15 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I dont hold it the way the video creator does either. I just hold it normally, except my thumb intentionally extends past the analog stick a bit... so that I'm practically touching the stick with the underside of my knuckle, instead of the tip of my thumb. This helps me avoid the "overadjustment" problem that was described in the video, since I'm basically applying pressure to my entire thumb (which is heavier), instead of just the last segment.

I haven't tried it his way before though, so I'm going to give it a shot in my next game.
when you try it, please let me know how it goes!!!

# 14 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 04/24/15 02:54 AM
Damn now after watching this I want to go back to zone. I was using directional hitting

# 15 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 04/24/15 02:55 AM
Great video very detail and helpful thank you

# 16 Smallville102001 @ 04/24/15 04:49 AM
This video tells why I like zone the most. I am going to have to try the thumb thing and see what results I get because I do fell like I over move the PCI to much. Like he talked about with trying to hit fly balls or ground balls I tend to hit into to many double plays and when I have a guy at first and second with 1 or no outs I try to start it lower so I wont hit a ground ball for a double play but I still do most of the time lol. The another thing I do is if I am facing a pitcher who has like a sinker, curveball, slider all in his pitches I will start it a little lower because he is going to normally throw more low pitches then a pitch or doesn't have those pitches.

# 17 TheBigTicket205 @ 04/24/15 05:38 AM
Great vid... I've been using directional hitting and I'm struggling! Cant wait to get your insight on DH... Til then I will try out zone and see how I do with it. Also would like to know what camera you would suggest for both zone and directional hitting. Thanks in advance!

# 18 HypoLuxa13 @ 04/24/15 09:29 AM
nice job, I'll try with the thumb placement you recommend, see if it makes a difference for me.

# 19 Wolverines05 @ 04/24/15 11:09 AM
thanks for the feedback guys. just make sure to check back at my channel for when the directional hitting guide is out! although im sure ill post it here when i finish

# 20 yausser1017 @ 04/24/15 12:29 PM
This is a great video. I actually have been having some serious trouble hitting in this years game, and I tried 3 games using your tips in the video. I changed the position of my thumb on the left analog stick, and holy cow I can hit again. First game the other guy quit out at 7-0, I had 15 hits. Before that, I was lucky to have more than 5 hits. Great video, thanks!!!!

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.