Home
NHL 16 News Post

The official release of the NHL 16 Feature list is here, and while its the exact same as the list leaked yesterday, it's nice to get confirmation on what is coming in this year's game.

Here is the full list of game modes in NHL 16:

Check out the full list of NHL 16 features below:

Quote:
"Built with more input from our fans than ever before, NHL 16 steps onto the ice to deliver ways to compete as a team, new features across the most played single-player modes, gameplay innovation at every position on the ice and an unrivalled game day atmosphere.

New Ways to Compete as a Team

Hockey is a sport that comes to life in a competitive team-based gameplay experience. Whether it’s through speed, skill, or physicality, every player makes an impact on the ice no matter what position they play or their role on the team. So grab some friends and jump into either 6 v. 6 Online Team Play, Online Couch Co-op, or the re-imagined EA SPORTS Hockey League and prove that great individuals can’t beat a great team.

The New EASHL

Sharpen those skates and grab your buddies because the EA SPORTS Hockey League is back! This fan-favorite online team mode has been reimagined and lets you choose specialized player classes to deliver a balanced competitive experience on the ice. Player skill and your ability to play as a team will now be the determining factor in who wins and loses hockey games.

6 v. 6 Online Team Play

New copy: Play online with up to twelve skaters including user controlled goalies. Using real-world NHL rosters you can compete in ranked drop-in games against players from around the world or invite your friends to a private OTP session before you step into EA SPORTS Hockey League.

Online Couch Co-op

The perfect way to play when you and your friends want to jump on the couch, join forces and play some drop-in hockey online. It’s the best place to practice your team play skills before playing OTP or EASHL.

A Way to Play for Every Hockey Fan

Whether you’re an armchair GM, want to live out your NHL pro fantasy, or build your ultimate dream team, NHL 16 will deliver a single-player game mode for every type of hockey fan - each with new features that you’ve never seen in EA SPORTS NHL.

Be a GM: Player Morale

Being a GM is about more than just getting the best players, it’s about getting the right players to play well together. Each player on your NHL and AHL team has a different personality that you will have to manage. Deal with trade demands, teammate relationships, and much more by calling team meetings or adjusting your roster to directly affect your team’s on-ice performance.

Be a Pro: Shape Your Legacy

The way you play dictates the type of player you will become in an all-new Be a Pro progression system. On-ice actions directly influence attributes earned, ensuring that your Pro will reflect the way you play. Sim to your next shift and the ability to work your way up from CHL rookie to an NHL Superstar also make a return in NHL 16.

Hockey Ultimate Team: Single Player Seasons

The most played mode in the NHL series gets even better. Improved player management and the introduction of HUT Single Player Seasons gives you another way to hone your skills before jumping online with HUT Online Seasons or challenging your friends with the Play a Friend feature.

Visual On-Ice Training

Whether you’re new to the NHL series and looking for pointers or are a grizzled veteran trying to perfect your game, this new training tool will help sharpen your offensive and defensive skills no matter your talent level. Visual aids project shooting targets, passing lanes, open teammates, and more.

Complete Control From Every Position

Whether you play as a forward, defenseman or goalie, NHL 16 delivers a balanced gameplay experience that makes every position on the ice meaningful to team success. With gameplay innovation on offense and defense, players have new tools to not only score goals, but to prevent them as well.

Precision Skating

Utilize a new skating tool that allows you to make refined movements with your skater in any situation. On defense quickly jump into passing lanes and intercept the puck, or walk the blueline on the power play and open yourself up for that one-timer in the offensive zone.

Seamless Puck Pickups

The ability to quickly control a pass or corral a loose puck can be the difference between generating a scoring chance and getting leveled. New puck pickups result in smoother transitions when receiving the puck no matter what your position, giving you more time and control to make your next move.

Unrivaled Game Day Authenticity

NHL 16 brings the game to life with distinct arena atmospheres, the most realistic players yet, and a story-driven commentary package to pull you into the energy of the game like never before.

Distinct Team Arena Atmosphere

Best in class arena authenticity gets even better with the inclusion of authentic arena effects and props including team specific celebrations, mascots, chants, and even signature props like the Lighthouse at the Xcel Energy Center in Minnesota.

Story Driven Commentary

Doc Emrick, Eddie Olczyk, and Ray Ferraro are back and now call the game with even more emotion. Hear Doc’s voice rise and fall with the action on the ice and get analysis from Eddie & Ray on the peaks and valleys of a NHL season. An expanded NBC SPORTS broadcast package and new pre-game intros brings the drama to life in more ways than ever before.

Superstar Authenticity

Enhanced facial features and new equipment details synonymous with the league’s top players adds another layer of player authenticity. Use these new equipment elements to customize your own created character giving them a unique look, from custom stick tape, colored skate laces, tinted visors, and more.

Playoff Beards

One of the oldest and most iconic traditions in hockey has arrived. With accurate representations of beard patterns, length, thickness, and growth rates for individual players, the road to the Stanley Cup just got hairier."

UPDATE: One thing people keep asking about is if "edit a pro" is in the game. Right now, none of the GameChangers or EA is saying it will be in NHL 16.

Game: NHL 16Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
NHL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Walbeb @ 05/25/15 09:08 PM
I truly didn't realize how much of my online gaming is done in EASHL until NHL 15 came out.

I'm super excited for it to be back BUT if they skipped goalies again I'm going to blow a head gasket.

I'm so sick and tired of arguably the most important position in the sport to still play like it did back in NHL 09.

# 82 himynameisao @ 05/26/15 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mkheidze
Bingo! Obviously, that person never played with the revamped rosters...if he did, he may have developed an apreciation for PROPER rosters. Honestly tho...there are 2 types of NHL gamers....the arcade types and the sim types. I love sim style games....I want to play an authentic style of game. EA should accommodate both styles. Give us sim-heads the options to make the game as accurate to real life as possible. And let the arcade lovers just play.
Obviously, you and other are missing my point. no hurt feelings here.

"Bingo! Obviously, that person never played with the revamped rosters...if he did, he may have developed an apreciation for PROPER rosters"

I have played and do play with revamped rosters, and it's great. My point is EA SHOULD have proper rosters, it's their job. Do they do it? No. Maybe they look at keeping up with this game. A Line 4 player should not play like Kane (Hawks fan, will pick Kane over Crosby), but we, the gamer, shouldn't have to update that, is my point. If anything, they should be updating rosters weekly (and goalies helmets, if I could be picky). If they don't do this and add all other features and they're great (franchise, drafting, GMing), oh and the on ice, game is fun, I'm still going to buy it.

# 83 canucksss @ 05/26/15 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisao
Obviously, you and other are missing my point. no hurt feelings here.

"Bingo! Obviously, that person never played with the revamped rosters...if he did, he may have developed an apreciation for PROPER rosters"

I have played and do play with revamped rosters, and it's great. My point is EA SHOULD have proper rosters, it's their job. Do they do it? No. Maybe they look at keeping up with this game. A Line 4 player should not play like Kane (Hawks fan, will pick Kane over Crosby), but we, the gamer, shouldn't have to update that, is my point. If anything, they should be updating rosters weekly (and goalies helmets, if I could be picky). If they don't do this and add all other features and they're great (franchise, drafting, GMing), oh and the on ice, game is fun, I'm still going to buy it.
So are you telling me that it does not bother you to see Line 4 player play like Kane? And we should not do anything about the freaking lousy roster that EA is shoving our throats? EVEN if EA updates their roster weekly, if STILL NO DIFFERENTIATION of players in NHL....thats not NHL!!!! Thats the Old Hockey game toy game where you just flip those players (with certain conrols) to chip on the puck.

# 84 canucksss @ 05/26/15 02:57 PM
This is far better than EA NHL with their lousy roster. This does not require player differentiation but its fun....EA without differentiation in players or team....freaking boring and its not NHL.

# 85 himynameisao @ 05/27/15 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
So are you telling me that it does not bother you to see Line 4 player play like Kane? And we should not do anything about the freaking lousy roster that EA is shoving our throats? EVEN if EA updates their roster weekly, if STILL NO DIFFERENTIATION of players in NHL....thats not NHL!!!! Thats the Old Hockey game toy game where you just flip those players (with certain conrols) to chip on the puck.
Where is the miscommunication here? Here's what I posted:

:A Line 4 player should not play like Kane (Hawks fan, will pick Kane over Crosby), but we, the gamer, shouldn't have to update that, is my point."

So, to answer your question AGAIN...a line 4 player SHOULD NOT play like Kane. SHOULD NOT. So, it does bother me to see a line 4 player play like Kane. That's what I said. And if EA does their job and updates the rosters appropriately, wouldn't that make a differentiation of players? I don't get what's hard here.

I don't want a line 4 player to be as good as a star.

I want EA to do their job and update players accordingly. I want the correct updates so I can spend the 2 extra hours playing the on ice game instead of editing players.

We want the same thing, I just want EA to do it like they should, instead of us. If I wanted to sit and play with editing, I would just get a Manager game and just sim everything and hope my attendance and concession stand sales are going up. I stare and play with data all day at work, I don't want to come home and do that for fun.

# 86 Money99 @ 05/27/15 09:49 AM
Quote:

:A Line 4 player should not play like Kane (Hawks fan, will pick Kane over Crosby), but we, the gamer, shouldn't have to update that, is my point."

So, to answer your question AGAIN...a line 4 player SHOULD NOT play like Kane. SHOULD NOT. So, it does bother me to see a line 4 player play like Kane. That's what I said. And if EA does their job and updates the rosters appropriately, wouldn't that make a differentiation of players? I don't get what's hard here.

I want EA to do their job and update players accordingly. I want the correct updates so I can spend the 2 extra hours playing the on ice game instead of editing players.

We want the same thing, I just want EA to do it like they should, instead of us. If I wanted to sit and play with editing, I would just get a Manager game and just sim everything and hope my attendance and concession stand sales are going up. I stare and play with data all day at work, I don't want to come home and do that for fun.
The problem is that EA has failed to create realistic ratings for it's players for quite some time.
They need to go to a system where 4th-liners are in the mid 50's and stars in the 90's.
I think the reason they don't is because the NHLPA won't allow it.
That's fine. But then make sure that ratings in the 90's are clearly, and noticeably different than skills rated in the 70's.

I still think the real reason EA doesn't do this is because 9/10 NHL gamers want to be Crosy/Kane/Stamkos with every player they control.

I've played several AHL and OHL games and IMO, that's where the same level of differentiation needs to happen at the NHL level.
Nobody is ever going to mistake John Scott for Crosby, and yet we all saw that Youtube video that clearly showed the two players are basically the same in NHL15.
I don't know how EA's development team can look at that and not give their own heads a shake.

# 87 bad_philanthropy @ 05/27/15 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
The problem is that EA has failed to create realistic ratings for it's players for quite some time.
They need to go to a system where 4th-liners are in the mid 50's and stars in the 90's.
I think the reason they don't is because the NHLPA won't allow it.
That's fine. But then make sure that ratings in the 90's are clearly, and noticeably different than skills rated in the 70's.

I still think the real reason EA doesn't do this is because 9/10 NHL gamers want to be Crosy/Kane/Stamkos with every player they control.

I've played several AHL and OHL games and IMO, that's where the same level of differentiation needs to happen at the NHL level.
Nobody is ever going to mistake John Scott for Crosby, and yet we all saw that Youtube video that clearly showed the two players are basically the same in NHL15.
I don't know how EA's development team can look at that and not give their own heads a shake.
Yeah, player ratings have been mess for a long time across all sports titles. Why have a 100 scale if you don't use the whole thing?

These games represent a minority sample of the population when it comes to ability at a particular sport. Why not have 0 represent the point of departure from hockey players with abilities below major junior? Just makes no sense to jam all differentiation into the back half of a scale.

# 88 Moose24x @ 05/27/15 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Yeah, player ratings have been mess for a long time across all sports titles. Why have a 100 scale if you don't use the whole thing?

These games represent a minority sample of the population when it comes to ability at a particular sport. Why not have 0 represent the point of departure from hockey players with abilities below major junior? Just makes no sense to jam all differentiation into the back half of a scale.

And if it is an issue with the NHLPA and fragile egos or whatever, than use only half the scale to appease them, but make the value of each point more meaningful. For example, a 50 on paper is equivalent to being rated 0, it just shows 50 to keep the NHLPA happy. Make each attribute point on paper worth three in actual effect. So the difference between a 75 shot accuracy and 85 shot accuracy is actually 30 FUNCTIONAL points of difference, but only 10 on paper, to keep the NHLPA happy and avoid licensing issues (wouldn't want a video game lockout, we know these guys are sensitive).

# 89 gerg1234 @ 05/27/15 03:47 PM
As far as game modes go, the one thing I would absolutely love is a NBA2k style association mode. I'd love to be able to control all the teams & storylines in my league. GM mode gets kind of old for me....TOTAL CONTROL is what I'd like.

# 90 Gazhooper @ 05/28/15 11:09 PM
Hi there guys i only play nhl im from scotland 26 looking for gifted players for nxt nhl or pepo play 15 otp with hit me up psn nakamura_88_sdgh

# 91 THESHAMISASHAME @ 05/29/15 07:12 AM
Wow more presentation and now Playoff beards cant get much better for me

# 92 jake19ny @ 05/29/15 07:53 AM
Quote:

I agree with everything you said but even if EA nailed player seperation and updated rosters properly that would do no good to offline Season mode or BeaGM guys like myself. Once you start a season your rosters are locked in so if you have a rookie or a guy not rated too high and they are having an amazing season you cannot go into the rosters and edit accordingly without player edit. This as well as any goalie trades or call ups result in inaccurate gear and masks. Oh well the debate is moot since EA has already chosen to leave out a feature available in games since SEGA Genesis.

# 93 johnnyg83 @ 05/31/15 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammettf2b
They better let us edit players.
I can't even comprehend why any sports related game wouldn't let you edit players. Follow The Show's lead. Customization has always been one of the reasons I buy I sports game. Less options? Less reason to buy the game.

# 94 Moose24x @ 05/31/15 02:19 PM
Exactly. Okay, I get it, not EVERYONE cares about customization and a lot of people just play HUT or EASHL so offline options don't mean anything to them. But how can customization options, which have been around forever - there really IS a precedent for them to be there - be a bad thing? We're not asking for a new feature. It would be nice if they would open customization up some more but taking it away entirely? I'm just baffled that it could be left out two years in a row. No excuse.

# 95 WildVikingFox @ 05/31/15 10:03 PM
Can't wait for this!
EA has absolutely made up for 16 from the looks of things

# 96 HypoLuxa13 @ 07/21/15 09:56 AM
Certainly not going to pre-order. After all the disappointment with last year's game, I waited to buy NHL 15 on PS4 on sale via PS Store for twenty bucks in January, and I still feel like I wasted my money. Based on this feature list, at least maybe the game will be back on Par with NHL 14? Maybe?

Despite all the issues with the stripped down version last year, my biggest complaint with the NHL games the past few years is STILL the clueless CPU team mates on defense. It takes a good 15-20 games of slider tuning just to make it playable so your opponent doesn't score 6 goals a game on only 15 shots or so.

# 97 actionhank @ 07/21/15 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmutat17
In reference to the NHL 16 create a player video: I can't grow a proper beard. It gets really patchy, so when I get this game I am going to create myself to the best of my ability and in the end I'll be giving myself a badass beard.
I'd worry more about being stuck with some generic face model than the beard aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Certainly not going to pre-order. After all the disappointment with last year's game, I waited to buy NHL 15 on PS4 on sale via PS Store for twenty bucks in January, and I still feel like I wasted my money. Based on this feature list, at least maybe the game will be back on Par with NHL 14? Maybe?

Despite all the issues with the stripped down version last year, my biggest complaint with the NHL games the past few years is STILL the clueless CPU team mates on defense. It takes a good 15-20 games of slider tuning just to make it playable so your opponent doesn't score 6 goals a game on only 15 shots or so.
I think that's been my biggest frustration with the game. I'm constantly tuning attributes and sliders in spite of the game. I'm just trying to get it to look a little bit like real hockey, and also make up for the fact that the AI have no idea what to do on the ice.

"Oh, I'm on a two-on-one breakaway with a forward...wait, I'm a defender...I don't break away. Better stop at the blue line and let him go one-on-one instead of get open for the pass and shot."

# 98 ballgameronny @ 07/22/15 09:42 PM
Very excited to for this game!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.